PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Past Drafting: A Poll of Hypotheticals

Rain Man
10-31-2009, 10:39 AM
If the Chiefs had drafted the following first-round guys (poll to follow) over the past ten years, which team do you think would be the best right now? The best going forward?

Rules and Information:

1. The options are the 1st draft pick from each year, the second, and so on. For example, the first option is the last ten #1 picks in the draft. I also throw in the Chiefs' first pick each year just for grins (including the Trent Green trade)

2. The first name on each list is the 2009 draft pick, the second is the 2008 draft pick, etc., and the last is the 2001 draft pick. Assume that the 2001 draft pick is a 9 year veteran, the 2005 draft pick is a five-year veteran, etc., just like real life.

3. If a guy is retired now, he's retired. If a guy is dead (Sean Taylor), he's dead.

4. Assume we'd have our historic 2nd through 7th picks.

And yes, I know you'd have to have a Matt Millen type of guy to draft seven quarterbacks in the first round in ten years, but roll with it. We had Carl Peterson, so we just have to assume that any GM that bad would have never been fired by Lamar Hunt.

And yes again, I know this is meaningless. I just thought it'd be fun.

Mecca
10-31-2009, 10:49 AM
The 3rd team is the best one...they have a franchise QB, 2 elite WR's and a 3rd one with top talent.

Just the way it's worked out that's the best one.

Ebolapox
10-31-2009, 10:51 AM
hmmmm. bob sanders, aaron rodgers, dwight freeney, troy polamalu, could've had brandon marshall had we not 'traded' for herm (he went two picks after our fourth round pick that year), coulda had ryan kalil or samson satale instead of turk mcbride, marrice jones-drew OR devin hester instead of bonecrusher pollard.

the list makes one sick.

Ebolapox
10-31-2009, 10:52 AM
hmmmm. bob sanders, aaron rodgers, dwight freeney, troy polamalu, could've had brandon marshall had we not 'traded' for herm (he went two picks after our fourth round pick that year), coulda had ryan kalil or samson satale instead of turk mcbride, marrice jones-drew OR devin hester instead of bonecrusher pollard.

the list makes one sick.

and yeah, 20/20 and all, and I'm missing the point. it makes me sick nonetheless.

Mecca
10-31-2009, 10:54 AM
You can go over nearly every draft like that, watch this one..

In the first round the Chiefs drafted Jerome Woods in front of Lawyer Milloy in the 2nd they took Reggie Tongue in front of Brian Dawkins.

Ebolapox
10-31-2009, 10:55 AM
You can go over nearly every draft like that, watch this one..

In the first round the Chiefs drafted Jerome Woods in front of Lawyer Milloy in the 2nd they took Reggie Tongue in front of Brian Dawkins.

it's fucking disgusting.

Rain Man
10-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah, #3 is what I thought too, pretty clearly. You'd have a nice offense with those guys, and also a good LT in Thomas.

(At least, I hear he's a good LT. I haven't seen a Browns game since Bernie Kosar was their quarterback.)

The 1 team is too weighted toward QBs and you'd have controversies about who'd start. The 2 team's not bad and has diverse talent, but Calvin is the only real franchise guy. The 4 team is pretty pedestrian overall, and the 5 team has potential, but only if Sanchez and Dorsey continue progressing. The Chiefs team honestly isn't a whole lot worse than some of the others despite drafting later, but that's not necessarily a compliment.

Drafting must be really, really hard.

Mecca
10-31-2009, 10:57 AM
There's a reason those teams pick high, they don't know what they're doing.

Rain Man
10-31-2009, 11:00 AM
There's a reason those teams pick high, they don't know what they're doing.

Apparently so. When I started pulling names I figured that it'd be star-studded. I'm not sure that a team with any of these drafts (other than #3) would be a strong contender.