PDA

View Full Version : Football Any Hawkeye Fans Here?

Marco Polo
10-31-2009, 02:12 PM
Wow, was that a game. I was pretty pessimistic in the third quarter and wow, what a comeback. We aren't pretty but we are winning. 9-0! Now we need OK St to beat Tejas and Oregon to beat USC.

Sure-Oz
10-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Im not a fan but good for them

mikeyis4dcats.
10-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Ypu probably scored enough trash TDs in the 4th to offset it, but IU got jobbed at least twice.

kstater
10-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Mecca will be along shortly to explain how losing to a bad team is better than beating a bad team by 20 after being down at halftime.

Marco Polo
10-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Can you point out all the bad calls specifically and how they affected the outcome of this game?

I remember 5 questionable plays.

1.) Indiana appears they MAY have got a first down but they look at replay and confirm that they made the correct call originally. It didn't matter because our player made a dumb mistake and encroached on the next play, making it a moot point. First down, Indiana.

2.) Indiana WR catches a ball in the back of the endzone. The refs call it incomplete and then it is reviewed and confirmed. Player looks like he caught the ball for the TD. It doesn't matter because Indiana scores on the next play.

3.) Iowa WR catches a 20 yard pass that is questionable. Play is reviewed and overturned. Incomplete pass.

4.) Indiana WR catches a pass in the endzone. Play is reviewed and should not have been overturned IMO. Indiana misses a FG on the next play. Probably a bad call by the replay booth. Lou Holtz and Bob Davie disagree with the overturn, Mark May says it is correct in postgame. 1 play that was probably bad and Indiana got screwed on it.

5.) Helmet to Helmet hit on Iowa WR by Indiana DB. Borderline but from the ref's angle, it looks like the correct call. Could have easily been a no-call. I believe Iowa threw a pick on the next pass anyways.

Bad reffing all around but nothing that truly affected an 18 point Iowa victory. Please.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-31-2009, 02:26 PM
the poor officiating surely cost IU a touchdown, that is nearly indisputable, but it also cost IU immeasurable momentum. You cannot discount the affect of momentum and player spirit on a game.

IU lost the game by not responding to the increased pressure from Iowa, and pretty much was rollign over by the end of the game.

Reerun_KC
10-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Mecca will be along shortly to explain how losing to a bad team is better than beating a bad team by 20 after being down at halftime.

This.....

BWillie
10-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Ypu probably scored enough trash TDs in the 4th to offset it, but IU got jobbed at least twice.

It was 28-24 and Indiana couldn't stop Iowa? There was only one questionable call that I saw in the game. I don't get it. Iowa won by freaking 18 points.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-31-2009, 02:31 PM
It was 28-24 and Indiana couldn't stop Iowa? There was only one questionable call that I saw in the game. I don't get it. Iowa won by freaking 18 points.

so did you just start nut-hangin Iowa since they're in the top 5?

BWillie
10-31-2009, 02:36 PM
so did you just start nut-hangin Iowa since they're in the top 5?

I graduated from the University of Iowa, I grew up in middle school and high school in Iowa. I lived a half a block from Kinnick Stadium for two years in college on Melrose Place.

Thank you for your concern.

Coach
10-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Can you point out all the bad calls specifically and how they affected the outcome of this game?

1.) Indiana appears they MAY have got a first down but they look at replay and confirm that they made the correct call originally. It didn't matter because our player made a dumb mistake and encroached on the next play, making it a moot point. First down, Indiana.

2.) Indiana WR catches a ball in the back of the endzone. The refs call it incomplete and then it is reviewed and confirmed. Player looks like he caught the ball for the TD. It doesn't matter because Indiana scores on the next play.

3.) Iowa WR catches a 20 yard pass that is questionable. Play is reviewed and overturned. Incomplete pass.

4.) Indiana WR catches a pass in the endzone. Play is reviewed and should not have been overturned IMO. Indiana misses a FG on the next play. Probably a bad call by the replay booth. Lou Holtz and Bob Davie disagree with the overturn, Mark May says it is correct in postgame. 1 play that was probably bad and Indiana got screwed on it.

5.) Helmet to Helmet hit on Iowa WR by Indiana DB. Borderline but from the ref's angle, it looks like the correct call. Could have easily been a no-call. I believe Iowa threw a pick on the next pass anyways.

Bad reffing all around but nothing that truly affected an 18 point Iowa victory. Please.

Good analysis. And as I been saying, Indiana forced six turnovers, and only had 10 points to show for it, IIRC.

BWillie
10-31-2009, 02:38 PM

I wish I had that clip from the movie old school when Will Ferrell defeats James Carville and he goes "No I have nothing to add. That was perfect."

mikeyis4dcats.
10-31-2009, 02:38 PM
I graduated from the University of Iowa, I grew up in middle school and high school in Iowa. I lived a half a block from Kinnick Stadium for two years in college on Melrose Place.

Ok...just never seen you cheer for anything but KU until this season...

I was born in Dubuque.

Bane
10-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Im not a fan but good for them

Same here,was a hell of a game.:thumb:

vailpass
10-31-2009, 02:44 PM

:toast:
Cedar Rapids here, lived in Mayflower freshman year.
What I wouldn't give to be in IC tonight for victory beers and a gyro on the ped mall at closing time.
Melrose Place or Melrose Ave.? :)

vailpass
10-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Bad calls go both ways and balance out at the end of the year.

Stanzi is going to give me a fucking ulcer.

Go Hawks.

FD
10-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Good analysis. And as I been saying, Indiana forced six turnovers, and only had 10 points to show for it, IIRC.

17 points. Refs took 7 back.

chagrin
10-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Michigan fan here but it's good to see them doing well; great head coach, very good talent and their quietly kicking ass all over the place.

vailpass
10-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Michigan fan here but it's good to see them doing well; great head coach, very good talent and their quietly kicking ass all over the place.

Cheers dude! Glad to hear some respect for Ferentz and crew.
Rodriguez will have the wolves up and running soon. The Big 10 is better when Michigan is Michigan.

CaliforniaChief
10-31-2009, 04:29 PM
It took a lot of balls for Iowa to get back off the carpet and air it out the way they did. Stanzi was garbage but again came up big when we needed him to.

Coach
10-31-2009, 04:30 PM

Still, the point being, when you force a turnover, you absolutely have to make them pay for it. In this case, Indiana didn't.

vailpass
10-31-2009, 04:37 PM
It took a lot of balls for Iowa to get back off the carpet and air it out the way they did. Stanzi was garbage but again came up big when we needed him to.

Fugging Stanzi is hurting me. Was it Lou Holtz today who said Ferentz shouldn't play Stanzi until the fourth quarter?
We're gonna' need to figure something out at running back before we go into the horseshoe.

vailpass
10-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Still, the point being, when you force a turnover, you absolutely have to make them pay for it. In this case, Indiana didn't.

Yep. Everything else is ifs and buts.

CaliforniaChief
10-31-2009, 04:39 PM
Fugging Stanzi is hurting me. Was it Lou Holtz today who said Ferentz shouldn't play Stanzi until the fourth quarter?
We're gonna' need to figure something out at running back before we go into the horseshoe.

I think Ricky is just going to have to figure it out. Teams are going to crowd the run and make Stanzi win it. He has the ability to do it. Honestly, I just hope we beat Northwestern first.

Tending to play to the level of competition is dangerous, but think we'll be ready for OSU. Tough tough games, though.

Coach
10-31-2009, 04:40 PM
I think Ricky is just going to have to figure it out. Teams are going to crowd the run and make Stanzi win it. He has the ability to do it. Honestly, I just hope we beat Northwestern first.

Tending to play to the level of competition is dangerous, but think we'll be ready for OSU. Tough tough games, though.

The question Iowa needs to ask themselves is:

"Are we overlooking Northwestern?"

vailpass
10-31-2009, 04:42 PM

Tending to play to the level of competition is what the Hawks always do because the love to torture their fans, but think we'll be ready for OSU. Tough tough games, though.

I like your take on Stanzi, I'm going to have to try to adopt a more positive outlook on him.
Oh and I fixed the last part of your post :)

Pioli Zombie
10-31-2009, 04:50 PM
I like Potter and Radar too. The best season is when B.J and Potter came on and Frank was still there.
Posted via Mobile Device

vailpass
10-31-2009, 05:00 PM
I like Potter and Radar too. The best season is when B.J and Potter came on and Frank was still there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your choosing BJ and Potter over Trapper and Henry eliminates most of your credibility.
The fact that you like Frank and don't acknowledge Winchester allows you to remain in the conversation as a silent observer.
Had you made even a passing reference to Flagg your stock would have risen.

Uncle_Ted
10-31-2009, 05:36 PM
The question Iowa needs to ask themselves is:

"Are we overlooking Northwestern?"

Given the success that NW'ern has had against us the last few years you can pretty much guarantee that we won't overlook them. We could still lose, but it won't be for lack of effort.

BWillie
10-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Ok...just never seen you cheer for anything but KU until this season...

I was born in Dubuque.

Oh I have. There just doesn't seem to be much Iowa fans on this board or people who follow the big ten. So I generally tussle w/ kitty cats and slavers.

BWillie
10-31-2009, 06:18 PM
:toast:
Cedar Rapids here, lived in Mayflower freshman year.
What I wouldn't give to be in IC tonight for victory beers and a gyro on the ped mall at closing time.
Melrose Place or Melrose Ave.? :)

Hell yes. I lived in Mayflower too. Tons of beautiful co-eds there. I transferred into Iowa my junior year so I was the guy buying booze for all the freshman lol

I lived on Melrose Place..which is just off of Melrose Ave and near Hawkins. It's a little court. 3 minute walk to the stadium. Glorious.

BWillie
10-31-2009, 06:19 PM

I consider it 4, because Indiana dug their own grave when they couldn't make a chip shot field goal.

niblet
10-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Current student there right now.

Awesome time to be a Hawkeye.

RustShack
10-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Iowa State!

Hoover
10-31-2009, 07:27 PM
I was at the game. Hard to imagine that I would lose my voice at the Indiana game and not Michigan.

Anyway, the Refs were just bad. To many reviewed calls today for me.

Bob Davie drove me nuts throughout the game. His calling for Iowa to bench Stanzi was just stupid. yes he had a bad game but the wind was nasty, and Iowa doesn't have anyone else. Great game to be at. Great place tp watch a game

Iowanian
10-31-2009, 07:52 PM
I walked into the woods when they were down by 14, embarrassed for them.

jspchief
10-31-2009, 08:16 PM
The wind had more to do with the game than the crappy refs. 7 of the 8 ints in the game were when the offense was going into the wind.

This Iowa team has less individual talent than some of Ferentz's other teams, but the one thing they do well is keep grinding. Sadly, I don't think they are as a good as their rank, although hope they get to a BCS game to prove me wrong.

KChiefs1
10-31-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm calling it right now....Northwestern beats Iowa next week.

MMXcalibur
10-31-2009, 08:20 PM
Personally, I'm more of a Honeycutt man.

Pioli Zombie
10-31-2009, 08:40 PM
Your choosing BJ and Potter over Trapper and Henry eliminates most of your credibility.
The fact that you like Frank and don't acknowledge Winchester allows you to remain in the conversation as a silent observer.
Had you made even a passing reference to Flagg your stock would have risen.
Flagg was hysterical. The show was never the same after Frank left. "You tell 'em, ferret face"
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
10-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Flagg was hysterical. The show was never the same after Frank left. "You tell 'em, ferret face"
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm bored. I think I'll neg rep you.

Pioli Zombie
10-31-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm bored. I think I'll neg rep you.
Remember to turn back your clocks an hour. You get an extra hour to live, Old fuck.
Posted via Mobile Device