PDA

View Full Version : Football Should Brandon Spikes be suspended for 1 game?

Chiefnj2
11-02-2009, 10:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDOy-RMIpF0

Purposefully trying to gouge the eyes out of a downed runner.

Mr. Laz
11-02-2009, 10:04 AM
what a dick

MeaTy The Pimp
11-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Definitely. That was just plain dirty. What an ass.

Stinger
11-02-2009, 10:06 AM

Saw that this morning on Mike and Mike ........ I tend to think this is worse than punch thrown by the Oregon player against Boise State. Cheap play and hope he gets discipline for it.

Bane
11-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Wow! Thats about as dirty as it gets.1 game at least IMO.

patteeu
11-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Sure

BigChiefFan
11-02-2009, 10:09 AM
No, talking to Dion Sanders is worthy of a suspension, but since Florida is number one in the country, this is a worthy football play.

ClevelandBronco
At LEAST one game.

And don't pay his ass either.

L.A. Chieffan
our defense needs some eyegougers

Stinger
11-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Better quality of video...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltE7bg-Vwsw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ltE7bg-Vwsw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Mr. Laz
11-02-2009, 10:10 AM
At LEAST one game.

And don't pay his ass either.can't do that ... everyone knows that Florida player have guaranteed money

BigRedChief
11-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Wow! Thats about as dirty as it gets.1 game at least IMO.yeah, I've been in many a pile that someone takes the oppertunity to throw a punch to the ribs, gut or nads. Or "accidently" step on your hand, knee or ankle when piling off....but that....is way out of bounds.

The Franchise
11-02-2009, 10:14 AM
He's from Florida....so it's okkkkkaaaaayyyyyyy.

Bane
11-02-2009, 10:15 AM
yeah, I've been in many a pile that someone takes the oppertunity to throw a punch to the ribs, gut or nads. Or "accidently" step on your hand, knee or ankle when piling off....but that....is way out of bounds.

About the same as the Haynesworth stomp.Absolute bullshit!:cuss:

soundmind
11-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Two things.

One - I was kind of high on Spikes, obviously (avatar). He's shown a few steps backward here or there, but it seems the majority of the time, he plays fast, and gets to the play. He plays with emotion and has shown a lot of playmaking ability - and makes a lot more plays than he misses. He's also the quarterback of their defense - which is to say he at least understands what it's like to lead and get mouthy. Admittedly though, I don't see a lot of Gators games due to an intense hatred for Tim Tebow.

Two - One of my most vivid (and worst) memories from my playing days was actually in high school, when at the bottom of a pile fighting for the ball, I got punched in gut, and right as I secured it, got punched in the junk. I almost threw up I got hit so hard. Ended up losing the ball. That was a cheap cheap shot, I expected the gut shot really, the low blow was inexcusable. This act by Spikes was beyond inexcusable, I can't believe he did that, completely lost control of himself and showed a mental weakness I hadn't witnessed from him yet.

He should most definitely be suspended, and most of all because he can't be fined. Technically, college players aren't paid, so you can't take that away. The only option is to take away the game(s). Definitely interested to see what happens, but he deserves just about whatever they give him. Bad, bad pool Brandon.

doomy3
11-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Two things.

One - I was kind of high on Spikes, obviously (avatar). He's shown a few steps backward here or there, but it seems the majority of the time, he plays fast, and gets to the play. He plays with emotion and has shown a lot of playmaking ability - and makes a lot more plays than he misses. He's also the quarterback of their defense - which is to say he at least understands what it's like to lead and get mouthy. Admittedly though, I don't see a lot of Gators games due to an intense hatred for Tim Tebow.

Two - One of my most vivid (and worst) memories from my playing days was actually in high school, when at the bottom of a pile fighting for the ball, I got punched in gut, and right as I secured it, got punched in the junk. I almost threw up I got hit so hard. Ended up losing the ball. That was a cheap cheap shot, I expected the gut shot really, the low blow was inexcusable. This act by Spikes was beyond inexcusable, I can't believe he did that, completely lost control of himself and showed a mental weakness I hadn't witnessed from him yet.

He should most definitely be suspended, and most of all because he can't be fined. Technically, college players aren't paid, so you can't take that away. The only option is to take away the game(s). Definitely interested to see what happens, but he deserves just about whatever they give him. Bad, bad pool Brandon.

I have no idea why anyone would play football, and not wear a cup.

Brock
11-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Urban says he'll give Spikes a serious talk.

Great Expectations
11-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Tebow says he'll give Spikes a serious talk.

FYP

OnTheWarpath15
11-02-2009, 10:58 AM
There goes any chance of the Chiefs drafting Spikes.

KCUnited
11-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Yep, my first thought was Denver as I watched that.

BigMeatballDave
11-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Wow, what a POS

Iowanian
11-02-2009, 11:05 AM
He deserves a helmet in the knee cap next time he steps on the field. Maybe a future bronco can dive on the back of his ankle.

BigRedChief
I have no idea why anyone would play football, and not wear a cup.98% of all NFL players don't wear a cup. It's considered wimpish in the locker room.

soundmind

Me either. I wore one every damn game until like 2 games into my senior year, just felt like I was faster and I wasn't as big as some guys at the time, so speed was my advantage on the DL. Also, in like 7-8 years of playing up to that point, I had never needed it....never took a shot down there. So it seemed like a reasonable risk.

I wore one from halftime of that game forward.

Chiefnj2

Why?

BigRedChief
11-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Me either. I wore one every damn game until like 2 games into my senior year, just felt like I was faster and I wasn't as big as some guys at the time, so speed was my advantage on the DL. Also, in like 7-8 years of playing up to that point, I had never needed it....never took a shot down there. So it seemed like a reasonable risk.

I wore one from halftime of that game forward.
my understanding is that all players from college on down are required to wear a cup. But, who's checking the enforcment of the rule?:)

soundmind
11-02-2009, 11:15 AM
my understanding is that all players from college on down are required to wear a cup. But, who's checking the enforcment of the rule?:)

Exactly, and yes that is a "rule". And I know a lot of guys that didn't/don't for the very reason I didn't. It's about speed and being comfortable. Au naturale...:D

As for eye-gouging though, if someone did that you'd have had to sedate me. That's insane, and if the staff knew that this happened....he should have been seated immediately and probably for another week as well.

HemiEd
11-02-2009, 11:25 AM
At LEAST one game.

And don't pay his ass either.

ROFL

LaChapelle
11-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Marcus Vick's in love

Molitoth
11-02-2009, 12:46 PM
He should be suspended 2 games. That is the definition of classless.

suds79
11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I want that guy on my team when there's a pile fighting for the fumble. :p

He plays dirty.

Reaper16
11-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Not necessarily. If Spikes drops a homophobic epithet at the Combine then Pioli will reach for him in round 1.

Great Expectations
11-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I like how Spikes rips other teams for being dirty.

salame
11-02-2009, 01:03 PM
If i played in college or the nfl my ass would be wearing a visor
ever since I saw any given sunday when the guys eye is just laying on the field

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-02-2009, 01:06 PM
What a dumb fucking cocksucker. Guy is overrated, anyway. Let someone else reach for him.

Bob Dole
11-02-2009, 01:07 PM
He should consult with Tim Tebow and ask, "WWJD"?

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-02-2009, 01:09 PM
He should consult with Tim Tebow and ask, "WWJD"?

Tebow can rise the suspended from the bench.

ClevelandBronco
11-02-2009, 01:10 PM
If i played in college or the nfl my ass would be wearing a visor
ever since I saw any given sunday when the guys eye is just laying on the field

I heard somewhere that you have to get special permission for a visor. It's apparently a uniform violation for some lame reason.

(You have to get extra special permission if you're going to wear it on your ass.)

salame
11-02-2009, 01:11 PM
what a thug piece of shit
http://www.gatorcountry.com/images/uploads/football/SpikesBrandon_081004_8782_TCasey.jpg

Shaid
11-02-2009, 01:15 PM
3 games. That is complete bullshit. I've seen people give out rib shots and crap like that but gouging someone's eyes is a pussy move imo.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-02-2009, 01:17 PM
I heard somewhere that you have to get special permission for a visor. It's apparently a uniform violation for some lame reason.

(You have to get extra special permission if you're going to wear it on your ass.)

Only visors that are tinted, like Tomlinson's. It's a huge advantage, because defenders can't see your eyes when you are looking to make a cut.

salame
11-02-2009, 01:18 PM

notice how Spikes wears a visor. I wonder what his reason was
"look dawg I be pokin dem fools in dey eyes all da time, I gatta wear one case dey pokes me back dawg"

bowener
11-02-2009, 01:19 PM

I like it!

You'd never see Derrick Johnson get this angry on the field...

Just sayin'

ClevelandBronco
11-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Only visors that are tinted, like Tomlinson's. It's a huge advantage, because defenders can't see your eyes when you are looking to make a cut.

That makes sense. Have any idea what are among the allowable reasons for wearing a tinted visor?

KCCHIEFS27
11-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Suspended for the 1st half on Saturday. Hooray for discipline?

salame
11-02-2009, 01:22 PM
That makes sense. Have any idea what are among the allowable reasons for wearing a tinted visor?

L.T. is actually subject to sudden seizures from heavy sunlight, and that is the reason he wears a 70% tinted visor. The NFL only allows a 20% tinted visor unless a valid medical reason is provided
Source(s):
Heard it during a game

bowener
11-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Tebow can rise the suspended from the bench.

ROFL
This needs to be a sig, I think.

what a thug piece of shit
http://www.gatorcountry.com/images/uploads/football/SpikesBrandon_081004_8782_TCasey.jpg

God damn Spike's is a big mother fucker. I dont like that he is going all Haynesworth on some dude, but I sure as fuck would love for him to be our LBer.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-02-2009, 01:23 PM

I think he used migraines or photosensitivity for his and got a Dr's Rx.

Herb Taylor probably would have qualified for one, as he had an eye disorder which made him very sensitive to light (and the bull rush).

salame
11-02-2009, 01:24 PM
ROFL
This needs to be a sig, I think.

God damn Spike's is a big mother ****er. I dont like that he is going all Haynesworth on some dude, but I sure as **** would love for him to be our LBer.

Yeah he is Height: 6 ft 3 in Weight: 258 lb

Buck
11-02-2009, 01:24 PM

I know that LT says he wears it because it helps his vision or he is sensitive to light, but thats probably just an excuse.

salame
11-02-2009, 01:28 PM
I know that LT says he wears it because it helps his vision or he is sensitive to light, but thats probably just an excuse.

L.T. is actually subject to sudden seizures from heavy sunlight, and that is the reason he wears a 70% tinted visor. The NFL only allows a 20% tinted visor unless a valid medical reason is provided
Source(s):
Heard it during a game

I posted this at the top of this very page

Brock
11-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Source(s):
Heard it during a game

I posted this at the top of this very page

I hear the seizures cause him to sob uncontrollably, especially after a playoff loss or a Sproles goal line substitution.

Buck
11-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah, my computer is as slow as balls, so you hadn't posted that yet when I was posting mine.

bowener
11-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah he is Height: 6 ft 3 in Weight: 258 lb

So, would he play ILB or OLB for us? Or both depending upon a particular play?

Do you think if we kept DJ on the team and drafted Spikes, Spikes would prison shower DJ and make him his bitch? I think he would.

Inspector
11-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Our scout leader would always check for one on us.

And we weren't even be playing football.

salame
I hear the seizures cause him to sob uncontrollably, especially after a playoff loss or a Sproles goal line substitution.

It also makes him prone to parking it on the bench and pouting after any series that doesn't end in a touchdown

see the best mcfarland ever!!!!
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/1217/pg2_mcfarland_lt_300.jpg

salame
So, would he play ILB or OLB for us? Or both depending upon a particular play?

Do you think if we kept DJ on the team and drafted Spikes, Spikes would prison shower DJ and make him his bitch? I think he would.

He would be inside in a 3-4

Chief Henry
11-02-2009, 01:41 PM
He's a f'n THUG. I hope he gets taken out himself after his suspension.

Brock
11-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Apparently Spikes will be suspended for 1/2 a game.

Sure-Oz
11-02-2009, 02:08 PM
a half a game lol....dude warrants a full game atleast

that was bs

salame
11-02-2009, 02:09 PM
I think the biggest fail here is that he did not successfully gouge out the other guys eyes.
How hard can it be when you have that much time?

kstater
11-02-2009, 05:55 PM
SEC agrees with the 1/2 game suspension. *Wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

ChiTown
11-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Typical for the $EC thugs.

Great Expectations
11-02-2009, 07:11 PM
a half a game lol....dude warrants a full game atleast

that was bs

Well they are playing Vanderbilt, you can't risk a loss to them.

If he would just spend some time w/ Tebow he would be a much better person.

Third Eye
11-02-2009, 07:28 PM
A guy did that to me in a game against Missouri Valley, then I broke his pointer finger. He cried out like a girl and I laughed.

FD
11-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Good thing the guy wasn't partially blinded, then he might have to sit out the 3rd quarter too.

Sure-Oz
11-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Apparently on 'around the horn' today they say this shit happens all the time and he just got caught

Bwana
11-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Without a doubt. What a prick. The runner should have reached up and bent his fingers back until they broke.

soundmind
11-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Apparently on 'around the horn' today they say this shit happens all the time and he just got caught

It may happen often, but that will never make it right.

Psyko Tek
11-02-2009, 07:48 PM
kick hios ass out of american football
that is chicken shit play

Great Expectations
11-03-2009, 09:01 AM
It may happen often, but that will never make it right.

On Mike and Mike in the morning Golic said that this NEVER happens. Everyone saying it happens all the time never played competitive football. Golic said he was as dirty as anyone, but never went for the knees or face.

ohiobronco2
11-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Should be a one game suspension. Anybody remember Robert Reynolds of OSU choking Jim Sorgi about 5 years back? Should have the same punishment. Hell, the Big 10 suspended Kurt Coleman for a game with a hit that wasn't all that severe.

CoMoChief
11-03-2009, 09:36 AM
I understand that happens a lot during dogpiles......but that was just a horrible cheap thing to do. He was down....wasn't moving forward....play was over. He just went in there and did that.

Urban Meyer suspends him for a half? REALLY?!?!?! A half?

Just imagine if they were playing Alabama next week.....Meyer wouldn't have done shit about it.

CoMoChief
11-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Romanowski was notorious for punching people and poking/gouging eyes of players under the pile.

BigMeatballDave
11-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Suspended for a half? Meyer is as big a POS as Spikes is then. What a shitstain of a program...

BigMeatballDave
11-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I dont give a shit about being punched in the gut or junk. Thats part of the game. Gouging someones eyes out is completely different.

Is there any way the NCAA can intervene to sanction him?

BigMeatballDave
11-03-2009, 10:54 AM
DaKCMan hasnt posted in this thread...:hmmm:

Mr. Laz
11-03-2009, 10:59 AM
kneeing,kicking,punching and even biting etc are all dirty, but temporary damage.

gouging the eyes could easily cause permanent damage ... huge difference.

Delano
11-03-2009, 11:00 AM

Have any of the panelists from that show played a sport? I mean, the lady from Boston is the most athletic looking person on that show, if you know what I'm saying (TRAP!).

MahiMike
11-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Incredible! I can't believe the other player didn't go ballistic. He should be arrested.

Brock
11-03-2009, 11:56 AM
I dont give a shit about being punched in the gut or junk. Thats part of the game. Gouging someones eyes out is completely different.

Is there any way the NCAA can intervene to sanction him?

The NCAA signed off on it. The NCAA isn't going to do anything to hurt Florida.

kstater
11-03-2009, 12:00 PM

If I had to guess, I'd say he's away on business or something. He's usually the one that posts the polls Sun afternoon and he didn't this week.

DaKCMan AP
11-03-2009, 03:42 PM

What Spikes did is inexcusable. I would have suspended him for 1 or 2 full games. However, both teams were extremely chippy and there were a lot of cheap shots. I saw Spikes helmet knocked off by Georgia players multiple times. Brandon James (Florida) tried to start something late in the game. There was a huge cheap shot on Tebow that was not flagged (see video below). Wrongs committed by both teams.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tpp9pylL8j4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tpp9pylL8j4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"></object>

DaKCMan AP
11-03-2009, 03:44 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say he's away on business or something. He's usually the one that posts the polls Sun afternoon and he didn't this week.

I was at the game on Saturday and didn't get home until late Sunday night. I didn't even hear about this incident until Monday and I wanted to see the video before commenting.

joemama
11-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Yes, kicked in the balls, poked in the eyes, and have both his hands taped into fists the rest of the year.

kstater
11-03-2009, 04:06 PM
In that video, only the hit on Tebow was cheap.

DaKCMan AP
11-03-2009, 04:08 PM
In that video, only the hit on Tebow was cheap.

The hit on Tebow along with the CRAZY facemask on Brandon James. That wasn't just incidental. There were other plays in the game, but that was the best quality video of the hit on Tebow that I could find.

DaKCMan AP
11-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Ealey: Spikes shouldn't be suspended
Associated Press
Nov 3, 2009

ATHENS, Ga. -- A most unlikely person came to the defense of Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes, who was suspended for half a game for apparently trying to gouge the eyes of Georgia running back Washaun Ealey.

Ealey said Tuesday he doesn't believe Spikes should have been suspended.

In fact, Ealey seemed surprised the play from Saturday's game drew so much attention.

Florida coach Urban Meyer on Monday suspended Spikes for the first half of this week's game against Vanderbilt after the defensive captain stuck his hand in Ealey's helmet and appeared to try to stick his fingers in Ealey's eyes.

Ealey says he doesn't agree with those who have said the suspension was not stiff enough.

"That really didn't matter to me," Ealey said of the suspension. "That's their decision. He shouldn't, I think, get suspended at all. We were just out there playing football."

Ealey said he had his eyes closed when Spikes stuck his hand in his helmet and he wasn't hurt.

"He really didn't gouge my eyes," Ealey said. "He really didn't get a chance to get close to my eyes."

The freshman said he believes similar incidents happen all the time.

"I'm pretty sure it goes on back and forth," he said. "We probably do it and other teams do too. It's all football. We're just out there trying to have fun."

Top-ranked Florida beat Georgia 41-17. The Bulldogs play Tennessee Tech on Saturday.

On Monday, Spikes issued an apology.

"I accept responsibility for my actions and I accept the consequences of my actions," Spikes said. "I would like to apologize to my team and the coaching staff and Washaun Ealey. Football is a very physical and emotional game, but there is no excuse for my actions."

The Southeastern Conference issued a statement on Monday saying it reviewed and accepted the discipline handed down by Florida.

Meyer said he believed Spikes retaliated after getting his helmet ripped off and eye poked earlier in the game.

Georgia coach Mark Richt said Spikes' "helmet went flying off ... and there was one time he got hit with his helmet off."

"It was totally unintentional," Richt said. "They were totally just playing ball. That might have got him bent out of shape. I don't know about all of that."

Ealey carried 17 times for 70 yards against the Gators.

"It was just a lot of emotion in the game," he said. "We were out there fighting. It was a big rivalry game. Everybody was just out there talking trash back and forth. ... We were just out there playing football and having fun."http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=4619952&top

Mr. Laz
11-03-2009, 04:23 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=4619952&top
kudos to Ealey ... does excuse spikes one iota

DaKCMan AP
11-03-2009, 04:25 PM
kudos to Ealey ... does excuse spikes one iota

Of course it doesn't make it right. However, it does lend some credibility to the stance that the amount of outrage is overblown.

DaKCMan AP
11-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Florida Gators: LB Brandon Spikes says he will sit out the entire Vanderbilt game for eye-gouging incident

By Jeremy Fowler SENTINEL STAFF WRITER

11:49 p.m. EST, November 4, 2009

GAINESVILLE — Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes is removing himself from Saturday's game against Vanderbilt because he doesn't want to be a distraction after last week's attempted eye-gouging incident.

Spikes, Coach Urban Meyer and defensive coordinator Charlie Strong collectively decided to elevate the suspension from a half-game to a full game. Meyer originally announced Monday that Spikes would sit for half the Vanderbilt game.

Spikes reached into the helmet of Georgia running back Washaun Ealey in Saturday's 41-17 win over Georgia and appeared to attempt an eye-gouging in the middle of a pile of players. The video quickly circulated throughout the Internet.

"I really don't want to be a distraction to the team," Spikes said to the statewide media Wednesday with Meyer by his side. "I want the guys to prepare without any negative things going on. I feel like if I would play, it would be a big thing. I'm just trying to stay out of the way and just motivate the guys. I'm pretty sure [linebacker Ryan] Stamper's got my back and my teammates really support me on this decision."

Spikes addressed the regional media in Gainesville for the first time since Aug. 15 but did not field questions.

Meyer, who also didn't stay for questioning, said the negative attention of this week is "weighing heavy on [Spikes'] heart right now." Many national critics railed on Meyer for not issuing Spikes a stiffer penalty for the dirty play. Spikes took heat from figures such as ESPN personality Mike Golic, who called Spikes' actions a "joke."

Quarterback Tim Tebow defended Spikes, saying the Florida-Georgia game was dirtier than normal from both sides. Ealey said Spikes neither gouged his eyes nor deserved to be suspended.

"It's a group decision," Meyer said. "We're doing it out of respect for our team so we can focus on trying to win our ninth game. We think it's the right thing to do. We support Brandon fully. We look forward to him getting back and finishing the season the right way."

Spikes, who has 42 tackles and three sacks on the season, also missed most of two games with a groin injury in October. Spikes entertained the NFL draft last year but opted to return for a senior season. Stamper will replace Spikes at middle linebacker.

The dirty play is Spikes' first alarming incident as a Gator, and he seems to be taking it seriously after saying in a statement Monday that there's "no excuse for my actions."

"As a team, we have to rally around him and defend him," Gators wide receiver David Nelson said. "He's not a dirty player at all. He's a good person."

Mecca
11-05-2009, 07:51 AM
It's Vanderbilt, Florida could win that one with half the starters not playing.