PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs will give Charles a chance to run against Jacksonville

Tribal Warfare
11-03-2009, 01:57 AM
Chiefs will give Charles a chance to run against Jacksonville (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1545835.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Sooner or later, the day will come when the Chiefs no longer build their running game around the talents of Larry Johnson.

That being the case, Jamaal Charles might be wise to consider Sunday’s game against the Jaguars an audition of sorts.

Chiefs coach Todd Haley might be looking at it that way. The game in Jacksonville will be their first of the season without Johnson, who is suspended. The Chiefs confirmed Monday they have reached a settlement with Johnson that will keep him out of Sunday’s game.

It also will be the Chiefs’ first look at Charles as their featured back. He’s been mostly a third-down back since joining the team as a rookie last year.

“I think this is an opportunity for Jamaal,” Haley said, “without a doubt.”

It could be a chance for Kolby Smith, too. Haley stopped short of saying the Chiefs would activate Smith for this week’s game but indicated it was likely.

“I’m optimistic about having the opportunity to see him play,” Haley said.

The Chiefs have a sense for what Smith can do as the featured back, having seen him carry a full load for several weeks as a rookie in 2007 after injuries to Johnson and Priest Holmes.

Charles is more of a mystery to the Chiefs in that sense. He also makes more sense as a featured back in the Jacksonville game because Smith hasn’t played since injuring a knee midway through last season. He returned to practice only last month.

“I’m ready to go, whatever they give me,” Charles said. “I’ll go out there and try to make plays for the team.

“I’m a running back. I know how to run the ball. Whatever running plays they give me, I’ll be able to do them.”

Haley’s actions would indicate he’s not as certain about Charles as a runner. Haley hasn’t been afraid to try different players when a certain part of the Chiefs isn’t working properly.

The running game certainly qualifies. Johnson is averaging only 2.7 yards per carry and doesn’t have a touchdown, yet the running game has stayed mostly as his domain.

The Chiefs haven’t used Charles much as a runner. In seven games, Charles has only 23 carries, and most have been draws and other runs out of passing formations. Charles was even a healthy scratch for an early-season game against Oakland.

Charles has fumbled a few times, but Haley hasn’t otherwise said why Charles, the fastest of Chiefs running backs, hasn’t been more of a runner.

“This has been a process for him,” Haley said. “I’ve made it pretty clear I’m happy with the progress he’s making. I don’t know that I can point to or say one thing that can answer that question.

“Jamaal has worked hard. He’s overcome some adversity. He’s shown signs of trying to take that next step. Obviously, there’s going to be some more playing time involved here, and I think he’s got a great opportunity.”

Haley acknowledged he doesn’t know how Charles will do with a heavy workload.

The busiest day of his pro career came last year when the Chiefs handed him the ball 18 times against Tampa Bay.

Johnson was out that day with a suspension, and Smith went out early because of his injury, leaving the Chiefs no choice but to go with Charles.

“We’ll have to see how that goes,” Haley said. “But he’s doing everything on his end to be ready to go. He’s probably our best pass protector as a back as far as understanding who he’s supposed to block. He’s really improved at that.

“Our running game is something we know we have to have to have a chance to win. I don’t think we’re going to beat people just throwing it 50, 60 times a game right now.”

salame
11-03-2009, 02:00 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/50/500875.jpg

KCChiefsMan
11-03-2009, 02:08 AM
looking forward to it, I'm tired of watching LJ break one for a yard or 2.

Hammock Parties
11-03-2009, 02:12 AM
If there is a God, Charles will hold onto the football, run 15 times, average at least 4 yards per carry and break a couple runs over 15 yards.

If there is no God he'll fumble three times and get hurt.

My belief in a higher power is dependent upon this weekend's game!

Tribal Warfare
11-03-2009, 02:14 AM
If there is a God, Charles will hold onto the football, run 15 times, average at least 4 yards per carry and break a couple runs over 15 yards.

If their is a loving God Cassel will be benched after his 2nd INT.

KCChiefsMan
11-03-2009, 02:14 AM

what the hell does God have to do with how Jamaal Charles plays on Sunday?

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-03-2009, 04:24 AM
There is a God.

And he hates the Chiefs !

jjjayb
11-03-2009, 07:03 AM

I guess you haven't figured it out yet. God is a Broncos fan.

The Bronco Rob
11-03-2009, 07:14 AM

:clap:

Deberg_1990
11-03-2009, 08:09 AM
i look forward to his 20 carries for 37 yards

NY CHIEF
11-03-2009, 08:13 AM
It will be interesting to see what he can do behind the same shitty line....................my bet is better than 2.7:doh!:

HemiEd
11-03-2009, 08:22 AM
I bet he has a good game, after finally getting at least a temporary lift of the LJ stigma.

Sure-Oz
11-03-2009, 08:50 AM
I can't imagine him not avging atleast 2.7 ypc

talastan
11-03-2009, 09:12 AM
I think we'll see a lot of attacking the perimeter with Charles running, ala Priest Holmes. I think Charles will give this offense a well needed lift with his pass blocking and especially with the fact that he can catch the d@mn ball out of the backfield. I just hope our line gives Cassel enough time to at least hand the ball off. I'm predicting 4 YPC average Sunday!

Molitoth
11-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Jamaal's success hangs in limbo due to the typical predictable offensive playcalling the Chiefs are famous for.

HemiEd
11-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Can Waters still get over and pull, with false starting?

CoMoChief
11-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Whelp......gonna be picking up Jags defense this week.

Having a feeling Cassel will be Mathis' bitch all day.

Demonpenz
11-03-2009, 09:26 AM
charles is going to have 34 yards recieving with our screen game
BANK ON IT!

The Franchise
11-03-2009, 09:27 AM
If he averages 2.8 YPC......he's already better than LJ.

Jack
11-03-2009, 09:29 AM

Most donky fans do feel their team is closer to God.

I reckon technically they are right. . .about eight times each season.

The Bronco Rob
11-03-2009, 09:41 AM
He's no Greg Hill.

:)

L.A. Chieffan
11-03-2009, 09:43 AM
this is so stupid. everybody know even jesus couldnt get more than 3 ypc behind THIS line. futile.

Tribal Warfare
11-03-2009, 09:47 AM
this is so stupid. everybody know even jesus couldnt get more than 3 ypc behind THIS line. futile.

Don't say Aaron Curry's name in vain!

BossChief
11-03-2009, 09:50 AM

Charles is averaging 5 in limited action so far.

just sayin

Their defense is ranked just a fraction better than ours as well statistically speaking.

rush d: 25 KC=26
pass d: 26 KC=28
overall: 24 KC=30

I still say we lose by 2 scores though

Red Brooklyn
11-03-2009, 09:50 AM
There is a God.

:D

This reminds me of a Ben Fold's song...

"If there's a god he is laughing at us and our football team."

L.A. Chieffan
11-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Charles is averaging 5 in limited action

just sayin

charles only comes in on passing downs and when nobody is expecting a run.

KCUnited
11-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Hopefully they are working on him getting low otherwise he's not going to survive the game on Sunday.

Easy 6
11-03-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm definitely excited about seeing what he can do carrying the load, i dont think that his stature necessarily disqualifies him from that either... guys like Charlie Garner, among others, did it for a long time.

If he can hang onto the ball, we might be pleasantly surprised.

RINGLEADER
11-03-2009, 10:02 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/40JBq6_L_R8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/40JBq6_L_R8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Frankie
11-03-2009, 10:05 AM

ROFL

Frankie
11-03-2009, 10:07 AM
There is a God.

He must also be for the teams for big TV market. :hmmm:

Frankie
11-03-2009, 10:09 AM

With all the breaks and crazy luck that comes their way every year I sometimes wonder the same thing too.

JEiskina
11-03-2009, 10:14 AM
If I remember correctly the last time Charles was given the bulk of the running game I believe he carried the ball for 18 times for over 100 yards...

I am very biased here because I loved the Charles pick from day one, but I am convinced this man can be effective if you just give him the ball. Yes he fumbles from time to time but if he can average 5 yards per carry i'd much rather see the occasional fumble than the two yard fall down we are used to seeing out of Larry Johnson...

Charles is averaging 5 yards per carry this season and averaged over 5 last season, not to mention he is ten times the blocker and reciever that Larry Johnson is. I said it all of last season and I still believe it is true, for this offense and at the stages both men are at in their careers, JAMAAL CHARLES IS A BETTER RUNNING BACK, GIVE HIM THE DAMN BALL!

Mr. Laz
11-03-2009, 11:43 AM
this is so stupid. everybody know even jesus couldnt get more than 3 ypc behind THIS line. futile.Everyone said the same thing last year.

The Oline sucks
We don't have the talent
blah,blah,blah

enter the spread offense and boom ... the offense was almost instantly average.

you can make it work if you have someone smart enough to coach it correctly.

LaChapelle
11-03-2009, 11:52 AM
It must have killed Teicher not to go with: Charles In Charge
He must be saving it for latter.

Micjones
11-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Good to see the kid getting a shot.
Here's his chance to prove he can be a featured back...or...give us a head's up that RB is a position we need to address during the off-season.

Frankie
11-03-2009, 12:45 PM
If there is a God, Charles will hold onto the football, ......!

Didn't Tiki Barber have fumble problems early in his career? Maybe this problem can be coached out of Charles too.

bowener
11-03-2009, 12:58 PM
The draw play may finally work again!

Priest was shorter and shifty and always made the draw work, granted he had possibly one of the best OL's in NFL history in front of him, but don't shit on my dreams dammit!!

Sure-Oz
11-03-2009, 01:08 PM
charles can be our chris johnson lite!11111

bowener
11-03-2009, 01:18 PM
charles can be our chris johnson lite!11111

Charles can just not fumble it and I will be happy with that.

Mr. Laz
11-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Didn't Tiki Barber have fumble problems early in his career? Maybe this problem can be coached out of Charles too.
there you go again with that darn "C" word