PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs, Johnson both have incentive to make marriage work

C-Mac
11-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Chiefs, Johnson both have incentive to make marriage work (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12467385)
Nov. 3, 2009
By Charley Casserly
CBS Sports

As Larry Johnson sits out his one-game, unpaid suspension with the Kansas City Chiefs, I thought I would give you my thoughts on the why of the penalty and the why of the settlement.

Many times in my 16-year career as a general manager, I had to deal with suspensions, grievances and potential settlements. You end up having many discussions with lawyers from your team and the NFL about how to handle discipline and possible suspensions.

Johnson made comments regarding his dad, a coach at Penn State, and Todd Haley, his coach at Kansas City. Among them: "My father played for the Redskins briefly. My coach played golf." He also reportedly used a homosexual slur to a reporter and made disparaging comments about the fans.

For the totality of his actions the Chiefs suspended Johnson for conduct detrimental to the team. The suspension was for two weeks, the bye week and a game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. He is paid $267,000 per week, plus a roster bonus of $62,500 for each game he is active.

His comments about Haley are technically accurate and would be hard to justify a suspension, but my interpretation would have been that they were disparaging to the coach. His other comments clearly are not appropriate.

The problem you have when you go to suspend a player is the NFLPA will always argue, with some success, that all discipline must be progressive. In other words, first a warning, then a fine, then progressive fines before you suspend a player.

That is what the Chiefs faced. There was no precedent for Johnson's actions to warrant the length of suspension they decided to impose. The largest fine that I know of for an inappropriate comment similar to Johnson's was $10,000 to Joey Porter. There has never been a suspension that I know of for making comments about fans, though there have been fines -- but certainly nothing like the amount Johnson would lose during his two-week suspension.

I go over these points because as a GM you listen to these points from the lawyers. I would not be surprised if they recommended the Chiefs not suspend Johnson because the case would be hard to win. If the suspension is overturned, you the player comes back without any loss of money. One factor to remember is that besides lacking precedent, you also did not use progressive discipline.

It is at this point you have to step back as a GM and decide what is in the best interests of the team. You can pick which point you want to stress most, but I believe all are important for different reasons.

As for the comment about Haley playing golf in college, Johnson questioned his coach's qualifications. Players cannot do that publicly. You have to be strong in support of your coach. Is a suspension an overreaction? Possibly.

Johnson's comments about the reporter are in bad taste and not what I would call professional behavior. And as for disparaging the fans, there is no place for that, and in a struggling economy with a rebuilding team this cannot be tolerated. Johnson must realize the fans are paying his salary. That person making "$5 an hour" he talked about is the heart and soul of the Chiefs faithful. Kansas City needs that $5/hour person to be loyal to the team during this rebuilding period.

I would have been in favor of suspending Johnson, even against the advice of the lawyers. When I heard about his actions, I thought a one-week suspension was fair. The more I thought about it I would have done what the Chiefs did -- go for two weeks. In the first year of rebuilding the program, you have to come down hard to make it clear to your coach, fans and the media that the team does not tolerate this type of behavior. Also, with a two-week suspension there is the chance it could be reduced to one week or there could be a settlement.

The union would obviously settle this case, because the NFLPA would not want to defend Johnson's comments, at least from a PR point of view.

After resolving the penalty situation, the team must decide whether to cut the player or allow him to return to the team. I would not cut the player. Remember, you are responsible for the remainder of his $4.4 million salary for this season because it is guaranteed. Johnson immediately apologized for his actions. I would accept the apology and move on.

Without an acceptable alternative to Johnson at running back, you must treat this situation the same as when a player asks to be traded -- only trade him if it benefits the club. If you succumb to the wishes of disgruntled players, you lose control of the team and have no chance of winning.

The key now is Johnson's future behavior. The Chiefs have to put him -- and the whole team -- on notice of what is considered acceptable and unacceptable behavior. The players have to understand who is running the team, and it is not them.

You base your decision on keeping Johnson on how he acts and performs going forward. Sometimes players need a wakeup call in their career. Maybe this is Johnson's wakeup call. One thing he has to face is that he is in the twilight of his career and this is probably the end of his big money. Some players recognize this, like Randy Moss when he went to the Patriots and changed his attitude. Johnson must realize where he is in his career.

I give GM Scott Pioli and owner Clark Hunt of the credit for their aggressive and bold action. I also give Peter Schaeffer, Johnson's agent, credit for using common sense and settling the grievance. It was a winnable argument, but even if he won, he would have lost in the long run. Instead of repairing a relationship with the Chiefs he would have antagonized it even more. A point to reiterate is that Johnson earns a roster bonus of $62,500 per game. The Chiefs could simply deactivate him and cost him this money. So there is a motivation for Johnson to make this work, even though his salary of $4.4 million is guaranteed for the rest of this year.

Rain Man
11-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Without an acceptable alternative to Johnson at running back, you must treat this situation the same as when a player asks to be traded -- only trade him if it benefits the club. If you succumb to the wishes of disgruntled players, you lose control of the team and have no chance of winning.

Carl Peterson. Jared Allen. Screw Carl Peterson.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Carl Peterson. Jared Allen. Screw Carl Peterson.

Are you saying trading Allen didn't benefit the team ? :(

Mr. Flopnuts
11-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Fuck this. I'm going to be livid if that piece of shit breaks the KC rushing record.

Rain Man
11-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Are you saying trading Allen didn't benefit the team ? :(

Oh, what I wouldn't give to see one more time a big redneck defensive end crashing down an offensive tackle and hammering a quarterback while he's setting up to throw. My heart aches.

C-Mac
11-04-2009, 09:13 AM
**** this. I'm going to be livid if that piece of shit breaks the KC rushing record.

Me too. If he stays on the team I hope they sit him or just deactivate him for the rest of the year and then maybe try to get a pick or a trade for him in the off season.

wild1
11-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Hopefully he breaks the rushing record at home, so they either don't announce it over the PA, or they do and people boo.

HemiEd
11-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Oh, what I wouldn't give to see one more time a big redneck defensive end crashing down an offensive tackle and hammering a quarterback while he's setting up to throw. My heart aches.

That is two of us, and we both felt that way at the time. Now we have a lot of company.

I got sick of hearing about his potential 1 year suspension on this place. The old one bird in the hand, is better than two in the bush, theory.

King_Chief_Fan
11-04-2009, 09:42 AM

It happens every Sunday the Chiefs play.....however, it is the KC QB getting killed

wild1
11-04-2009, 09:46 AM
"without an acceptable alternative to Larry Johnson?"

Yes, how will we replace that 2.x yards per carry. No one in the league can do that.

King_Chief_Fan
11-04-2009, 09:47 AM
"without an acceptable alternative to Larry Johnson?"

Yes, how will we replace that 2.x yards per carry. No one in the league can do that.

through 7 games Edgerin James has the exact yards per carry as Larry.
I will take Larry thanks......if Pioli and Haley can make it work for the team.

soundmind
11-04-2009, 09:52 AM
The key now is Johnson's future behavior. The Chiefs have to put him -- and the whole team -- on notice of what is considered acceptable and unacceptable behavior. The players have to understand who is running the team, and it is not them.

You base your decision on keeping Johnson on how he acts and performs going forward. Sometimes players need a wakeup call in their career. Maybe this is Johnson's wakeup call. One thing he has to face is that he is in the twilight of his career and this is probably the end of his big money. Some players recognize this, like Randy Moss when he went to the Patriots and changed his attitude. Johnson must realize where he is in his career.

If the players don't understand that they DO NOT run the team, then cut them all. I don't want 50 f*cking prima donna pieces of chit on my team if I'm the coach/GM. Granted I'm not that for the Chiefs, but I'll stop being a fan, because that team will NEVER win. And I certianly won't put my money on it.

:cuss::cuss:A "wake-up call"?!?!?!?!?!? How many do you f*cking get?!?!? Larry's had no less than 4 "wake-up calls" and if I'm the Chiefs front office, I'm sick of phoning his room...I'd quicker piss on him than help him up again.:cuss::cuss:

These comb-over articles are worthless, all they do is infuriate me.

King_Chief_Fan
11-04-2009, 09:54 AM
If the players don't understand that they DO NOT run the team, then cut them all. I don't want 50 f*cking prima donna pieces of chit on my team if I'm the coach/GM. Granted I'm not that for the Chiefs, but I'll stop being a fan, because that team will NEVER win. And I certianly won't put my money on it.

:cuss::cuss:A "wake-up call"?!?!?!?!?!? How many do you f*cking get?!?!? Larry's had no less than 4 "wake-up calls" and if I'm the Chiefs front office, I'm sick of phoning his room...I'd quicker piss on him than help him up again.:cuss::cuss:

These comb-over articles are worthless, all they do is infuriate me.

band wagon much?

58-4ever
11-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Fuck this. I'm going to be livid if that piece of shit breaks the KC rushing record.

I hope it's at home and the crowd boos him off the field. He is a disgrace to everything that was once good about the Kansas City Chiefs. :shake:

soundmind
11-04-2009, 09:59 AM
band wagon much?

Ever play football much? A team that doesn't understand the structure and respect within a team will fail every f*cking time.

And tell me King Chief, is this 27's first problem? Is this the first time we're having to deal with his carnival of bullsh*t?

Or is it more accurately his 3rd, 4th, or 5th....? He's not productive, and he's a disturbance to a building effort. I'm done if they keep him because THEY ARE INSANE TO EXPECT ANYTHING DIFFERENT.

King_Chief_Fan
11-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Ever play football much? A team that doesn't understand the structure and respect within a team will fail every f*cking time.

And tell me King Chief, is this 27's first problem? Is this the first time we're having to deal with his carnival of bullsh*t?

Or is it more accurately his 3rd, 4th, or 5th....? He's not productive, and he's a disturbance to a building effort. I'm done if they keep him because THEY ARE INSANE TO EXPECT ANYTHING DIFFERENT.

no need to get your feathers ruffled......let's see what happens the rest of the year and what is done to fix problems during the off season....don't quit them just yet

Mr. Laz
11-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Chiefs, Johnson both have incentive to make marriage work (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12467385)

I want a divorce.

Mr. Laz
11-04-2009, 10:18 AM
let's see what happens the rest of the year and what is done to fix problems during the off season
we heard that same shit for 10 years.

King_Chief_Fan
11-04-2009, 10:45 AM
we heard that same shit for 10 years.

that is true....Peterson got 20 years....I am o.k. with giving Pioli this year and next

Sure-Oz
11-04-2009, 10:51 AM
it seems like he might be back...i know teicher thinks it will happen and now babb kind've feels the same

BossChief
11-04-2009, 10:54 AM
anyone watch first take and see them mention the LJ petition?

soundmind
11-04-2009, 11:05 AM
anyone watch first take and see them mention the LJ petition?

Awesome, but no I missed it - did they say anything worth repeating for us??

Mr. Laz
11-04-2009, 11:24 AM
http://www.petitiononline.com/StopLJ/petition.html

OctoberFart
11-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Cutting Diaper Boys 2 ypc would help the chiefs out more than anything. Flushing out his garbage attitude would go a lot farther than letting him infect the young players they have.

SDChiefs
11-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Progressive discipline? Johnsons been suspended how many times for conduct unbecoming? I would say that constitutes progressive discipline.

LaChapelle
11-04-2009, 11:56 AM
The league hasn't laid down their fine yet, if they do. Did the NFLPA intervene in Magini's $1,700 fine for a bottle of water. Or is that just chump change only a $5 an hour wage earner should be concerned with.

Mr_Tomahawk
11-04-2009, 12:16 PM
http://www.petitiononline.com/StopLJ/petition.html

Signed.

Monty
11-04-2009, 01:12 PM
through 7 games Edgerin James has the exact yards per carry as Larry.
I will take Larry thanks......if Pioli and Haley can make it work for the team.

You've got to be kidding. I was going to post something about questioning your intelligence, but realized that there's nothing to question in the first place.