PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs believe Chambers can help them

Tribal Warfare
11-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Chiefs believe Chambers can help them (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1549990.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs will know in a matter of weeks whether their acquisition of wide receiver Chris Chambers fits into a category with the signing of Bobby Wade or one with Amani Toomer and Ashley Lelie.

They just know for now they’re desperate to improve an ailing passing game. They’re willing to try anything to get them there, even if it means taking on a wide receiver that was found lacking by another team, which was San Diego in Chambers’ case.

“He came available and in our quest to improve our team (through) every avenue, we felt he could potentially help us,” Chiefs coach Todd Haley said. “We have experience playing against him and preparing for him, so we had a bunch of different opinions on him and felt good about getting him in here.”

Haley indicated Chambers may play in Sunday’s game against the Jaguars in Jacksonville. While it seems unlikely Chambers would push either Wade or Dwayne Bowe from a starting spot on Sunday, Wade played extensively in his first game only a few days after signing with the Chiefs.

“We’re trying to get him ready,” Haley said after Wednesday’s practice. “He took some (snaps) today and made a couple of plays.”

Chambers is the fifth wide receiver to join the Chiefs since the start of training camp. Wade, second among the Chiefs with 20 catches and two touchdowns, has helped.

Toomer and Lelie, who were cut before the start of the season, didn’t. It’s too early to tell about Lance Long, who has played in only one game since being promoted from the practice squad.

Their continuing efforts to upgrade at wide receiver speak to the Chiefs’ offseason inadequacy of stocking the position.

“I don’t know there was a lot to stock it with over the offseason,” Haley said. “It was an area we felt had to improve way back when Scott (Pioli) and I got here. There’s no doubt about that.”

It will be forgotten if Chambers, 31, plays well. A second-round pick by Miami in 2001, Chambers caught more than 50 passes in five seasons and made the Pro Bowl in 2005 after catching 82 balls and scoring 11 touchdowns.

Chambers hasn’t been out of the 30s in catches in each of the last five years. The Chargers thought his skills had slipped to the point where they first took playing time and his starting spot away, then placed him on waivers this week.

Chambers has nine receptions and a touchdown this year.

“I wasn’t getting the (snaps) I was hoping to get,” Chambers said. “My approach hasn’t changed. It’s good to come to a team where you’re wanted.

“I had a really good training camp. There were some opportunities I wish I had back that I didn’t capitalize on. A lot of that stuff was miscues … there were a lot of balls thrown over my head or underthrown and they just weren’t catchable. I might have three or four touchdowns by now and we might not be talking about this.

“They went with some younger guys to build for the future and gave me an opportunity to play (for the Chiefs) and do something this season.”

Chambers dropped two passes and caught none in a recent game against the Chiefs.

“He’ll be a good addition to the ballclub,” Chiefs cornerback Brandon Carr said. “From what I’ve seen, he’s still got the quicks out there. He can run, but the thing he really does well is position his body to where he keeps you away from the ball and he’s the only one that can catch the ball. He’s not the big receiver, but that doesn’t matter because he knows his strength and takes advantage of it.”

Haley didn’t specify how much Chambers would eventually play but left no doubt he would be given the chance to earn time.

“His speed is pretty good, maybe better than you’re giving him credit for,” Haley said. “He was a vertical threat for San Diego. He does give us some speed and vertical explosion. He adds a little to the mix.

“He’s been able to stay relatively healthy, and you haven’t seen a drop-off in speed. I’ve kind of been taught over the years that if somebody thought enough of someone to (draft) him (in an early round), it’s worth giving him a second or potentially a third chance.”

Hammock Parties
11-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Who the fuck is writing headlines at the Star?

Every single article Teicher puts out has the same CAPTAIN OBVIOUS title slapped on it.

It's an epidemic.

Bowser
11-04-2009, 11:52 PM
To the print 'em machine inside the ship.

Gadzooks
11-04-2009, 11:52 PM
No shit. Of course, he can help.
He sure as hell can't hurt!

BigMeatballDave
11-04-2009, 11:57 PM
I wasnt aware Chambers was an OL

Captain Obvious
11-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Who the **** is writing headlines at the Star?

Every single article Teicher puts out has the same CAPTAIN OBVIOUS title slapped on it.

It's an epidemic.

Hey!!! Watch it....

kcchiefsus
11-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Chambers hasn't been out of the 30's in catches in each of the last 5 years? Where the hell does he get this shit? He had 66 catches in 2007, 59 in 2006, and 82 in 2005. Somebody let me know if I'm misinterpreting what Teicher is trying to say but if i'm not then he's a fucking idiot.

Hammock Parties
11-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Chambers hasn't been out of the 30's in catches in each of the last 5 years? Where the hell does he get this shit? He had 66 catches in 2007, 59 in 2006, and 82 in 2005. Somebody let me know if I'm misinterpreting what Teicher is trying to say but if i'm not then he's a fucking idiot.

The KC Star is the new WPI!

Mr. Arrowhead
11-05-2009, 12:54 AM
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx25/77769/BasTaart-NoShitSherlock.jpg

LaChapelle
11-05-2009, 12:54 AM
I hope it's not a sign. The top 2 threads are Chambers and Pot.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-05-2009, 12:57 AM
I love that our front office is so inept that the signing of Bobby Wade is the acquisition that is looked to as the standard of excellence.

kcchiefsus
11-05-2009, 01:04 AM
I love that our front office is so inept that the signing of Bobby Wade is the acquisition that is looked to as the standard of excellence.

How is that a sign that our front office is inept?

I'm not a fan of everything we've done this offseason, but calling our front office inept this early in the process is pretty ignorant IMO. But hey, to each their own I guess.

Hammock Parties
11-05-2009, 01:05 AM

Come on now. Who else was gonna do a better job that was available at that point?

Pretty good signing considering it came in the middle of the season. If Chambers could be to the 2009 Chiefs what Eddie Kennison was to the 2001 Chiefs....huzzah!

jAZ
11-05-2009, 01:08 AM
I love that our <s>front office is</s> talent level was so inept that the signing of Bobby Wade is the acquisition that is looked to as the standard of excellence.

This.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-05-2009, 01:20 AM
If you want to see the ineptitude of our FO, it rolls itself out there every Sunday; namely the 5 guys (not) protecting the investment that they had for 14 million and decided to re-up for 60 before he'd played a snap.

And if you think that a broke dick Chris Chambers, who couldn't stay on the field in front of Malcolm Floyd and Legadu Nanee, is going to be worth a shit, well, then I've got some other bad news: Santa Claus is a fucking cunt. I'm sorry.

KcFanInGA
11-05-2009, 01:27 AM
If you want to see the ineptitude of our FO, it rolls itself out there every Sunday; namely the 5 guys (not) protecting the investment that they had for 14 million and decided to re-up for 60 before he'd played a snap.

And if you think that a broke dick Chris Chambers, who couldn't stay on the field in front of Malcolm Floyd and Legadu Nanee, is going to be worth a shit, well, then I've got some other bad news: Santa Claus is a ****ing ****. I'm sorry.

Are you an actual Chiefs fan? Take that bullshit somewhere else. Go ahead. Reply with some long-winded reply and tell me off. You are an assclown.

blazzin311
11-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Chambers hasn't been out of the 30's in catches in each of the last 5 years? Where the hell does he get this shit? He had 66 catches in 2007, 59 in 2006, and 82 in 2005. Somebody let me know if I'm misinterpreting what Teicher is trying to say but if i'm not then he's a ****ing idiot.

You're just now figuring this out? Where have you been? :rolleyes:

blazzin311
11-05-2009, 02:03 AM
I hope it's not a sign. The top 2 threads are Chambers and Pot.

I vote for Pot. :D

Mecca
11-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Are you an actual Chiefs fan? Take that bullshit somewhere else. Go ahead. Reply with some long-winded reply and tell me off. You are an assclown.

You know a lot more goes into being a fan than jumping around with the homer hat thinking every move is going to be awesome.

He seriously has a point like it or not, the Chiefs had a piss poor offseason.

kcxiv
11-05-2009, 03:44 AM
Chiefs were fucked no matter what this year. This was a throw away year no doubt about it. They are stripping this team and starting from 0 literally.

IF we dont win about 6-8 games next year, then fuckers need to go as well. I am willing to give them until halfway to next year.

This is a different sport, but same fucking things apply. My Dodgers went into a full rebuilt we brought our young guys up, gave htem a few years to season up. Fans were calling for their heads wanting these young guys to get the fuck on. They struggled, but in 2008 they started to get the hang of it. Well we havent went to the world series. WE are competitive and winning play off games.

Sometimes you just have to give it a little time.

TEX
11-05-2009, 07:12 AM

He is absolutely correct. Last offseason leaves a lot to be desired in regards of adding talent. How in the world do you go out and get what you believe to be a young franchise QB, and not do more to protect him? How do you mess up that badly on something so obvious? If you're as good as you think you are, or as others hope you are, you don't.

TRR
11-05-2009, 07:27 AM
I like the addition of Chambers, however this is another reason why I won't judge Cassel this season. He throws to a new WR nearly every week.

Think of how many WR's he's thrown to since training camp. No wonder there is no timing in our passing game.
Posted via Mobile Device

Iowanian
11-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Really?

Can Chambers play Center, RG or RT?

TEX
11-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Really?

Pretty much the way I see it too.

KCWolfman
11-05-2009, 07:48 AM
When did Chris Chambers change position to Offensive Lineman?
Posted via Mobile Device

KCWolfman
11-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Really?

Dammit, Pete!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Frankie
11-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Chambers dropped two passes and caught none in a recent game against the Chiefs.[/B]

So he impressed our coaches and GM in his audition for the Chiefs by meeting all Chiefs requirements. :hmmm:

PRINT'EM!

Mr. Laz
11-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I wasnt aware Chambers was an OL
It's like Haley doesn't know what to do with anything so he just keeps screwing with the WR's because that is what he really knows.

Sure-Oz
11-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I think its funny chambers saying rivers basically sucks and he should have 3 or 4tds by now lol

KcFanInGA
11-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Sorry guys. The Icehouse really brought out my antagonistic side. I remain hopeful, however I do think our offseason was lacking. Whether that was due to some of the old scouts being still on staff or not has been debated, and I don't know what the reason was. But I expect better results next offseason.

J Diddy
11-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I like the addition of Chambers, however this is another reason why I won't judge Cassel this season. He throws to a new WR nearly every week.

Think of how many WR's he's thrown to since training camp. No wonder there is no timing in our passing game.
Posted via Mobile Device

throw in the fact that he's got 2-3 linemen in his face every down as well.

milkman
11-05-2009, 05:01 PM

And if you think that a broke dick Chris Chambers, who couldn't stay on the field in front of Malcolm Floyd and Legadu Nanee, is going to be worth a shit, well, then I've got some other bad news: Santa Claus is a ****ing ****. I'm sorry.

It really is fucking stupid.

From Teicher's article:

“I don’t know there was a lot to stock it with over the offseason,” Haley said. “It was an area we felt had to improve way back when Scott (Pioli) and I got here. There’s no doubt about that.”

They knew that the team needed help at WR, and I imagine they also knew we needed help on the OL, so in their infinite wisdom, they sign Mike Goff and don't appear to have even contacted a guy like Nate Washington, then go into the draft so anxious to switch to the 34 that they ignore our obvious needs at WR and on the OL, where the value of that draft was to be found, and use the first two picks on 5 tech DEs.

I expected to be a bad team, but they could have been better had they actually played the offseason more pratically.

Frankie
11-05-2009, 05:50 PM
They knew that the team needed help at WR, and I imagine they also knew we needed help on the OL, so in their infinite wisdom, they sign Mike Goff and don't appear to have even contacted a guy like Nate Washington, then go into the draft so anxious to switch to the 34 that they ignore our obvious needs at WR and on the OL, where the value of that draft was to be found, and use the first two picks on 5 tech DEs.

This.

MichaelH
11-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Well I would sure as hell hope so. :rolleyes:

chefsos
11-05-2009, 08:16 PM
“I wasn’t getting the (snaps) I was hoping to get,” Chambers said. “My approach hasn’t changed. It’s good to come to a team where you’re wanted.

“I had a really good training camp. There were some opportunities I wish I had back that I didn’t capitalize on. A lot of that stuff was miscues … there were a lot of balls thrown over my head or underthrown and they just weren’t catchable. I might have three or four touchdowns by now and we might not be talking about this.
A little humility and some taking of responsibility for getting your ass FIRED wouldn't hurt here, Chris.

boogblaster
11-05-2009, 09:21 PM
He's a broke-dick-dog .. but he'll still help this team ........

MMXcalibur
11-05-2009, 09:54 PM

When's the last time you had anything positive to say about the Chiefs?

milkman
11-05-2009, 09:56 PM
When's the last time you had anything positive to say about the Chiefs?

I don't know if he's been around long enough, but 1972 would be about right.

jspchief
11-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Good grief, more WR talk. Is Todd Haley retarded?

CosmicPal
11-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Sh*t, I could've helped them. Here's how I could help them- by getting rid of Larry Johnson and not wasting my time with Chris Chambers and throwing this bullsh*t 53 men who will do anything for football and not the money out the window.

Rausch
11-05-2009, 10:54 PM
This.

The reason is there, we expect exceptional people to make at least good choices but....

It's still three guys outside on the porch going "you...you did see the fucking stupid...Right?

I mean, it's not just me, that's the kind of stupid that you drive across town to punch granny in the face for.

Right?"

Rausch
11-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Sh*t, I could've helped them.

You could have left the room to shit and instructed the capuchin monkey in the fedora to throw dice with your top 6 prospects into a pneumatic tube...