PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs NFL only wanted fine for LJ not suspension

dirk digler
11-05-2009, 11:33 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/11/5/1117130/fanhouse-nfl-only-wanted-a-fine-no#storyjump

For those signing this Larry Johnson petition, you probably think the Kansas City Chiefs didn't punish their running back enough. If that's the case, then read this:

Multiple sources tell Nancy Gay of FanHouse that the NFL did not "endorse or encourage" the suspension levied against the seven year veteran.
We've suspected this before, but Gay is, from what I can tell, the first to cite sources in reporting this.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5547.jpg
Yes, the NFL did not want a suspension or a game check docked. Per Gay, the NFL recommended that the Chiefs simply fine him $10,000, the same punishment received by Joey Porter for making similar comments.

Porter also apologized for the words he used except qualified the apology to include everyone "except Winslow." LJ issued a "legitimate" apology, whether it came from his lawyer or not. Porter's incident came before Roger Goodell's infamous strike down on personal conduct. So, it makes you wonder why the NFL would not want to take a harsher stand.

As Gay points out, the NFL has been strangely quiet in this case and another high-profile case with Tom Cable.

"Could it be that Goodell and Smith have a handshake détente in place," Gay writes, "setting aside personal conduct battles for now, knowing they'll tackle other serious problems in the coming months -- such as potentially messy and costly negotiations that will either lead to a NFL-imposed lockout or a new Collective Bargaining Agreement?"

As we've said here before, it's likely that both sides wanted to settle in order to avoid giving the other side the "win" just months before the league and the NFLPA will get together to discuss a new CBA.

So, there's not many people within league circles that think LJ got off easy at all. The NFL didn't want the suspension, and the NFLPA didn't want the suspension.

With this confirmation from Gay, I'd say the Chiefs did well for themselves.

Mr. Arrowhead
11-05-2009, 11:34 AM
booo hooo

dirk digler
11-05-2009, 11:38 AM
booo hooo

Yep and here I thought Goodell was tough and wouldn't tolerate shit like this.

Captain Obvious
11-05-2009, 11:39 AM
An appropriate last name for the writer.

LaChapelle
11-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Bullshit Pioli and Haley are frauds/fans with panties in a bunch for various reasons

SenselessChiefsFan
11-05-2009, 12:29 PM
First, the petition, I believe, calls for him to be cut from the team. If cut, Goodell would have no opinion or position on that, as it is just a personnel move.

That said, I think the LJ punishment is fitting. But, I do hope that he goes on to ride the bench for the rest of the season.

big nasty kcnut
11-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Goodell a bitch.

Pink Paradise 2010
11-05-2009, 01:44 PM
his ass needs to be gone!!!

Chief_in_Commander
11-05-2009, 01:45 PM
He's been suspended before isn't there supposed to be worse punishment for repeat customers in the **** up department?

unothadeal
11-05-2009, 03:11 PM
How ironic is that name

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2009, 03:14 PM
How ironic is that name

LMAO This.

Mizzou Dude
11-05-2009, 03:28 PM
I personally think that they should just abuse the shit outta him while he's here. Make him play special teams and have the hell kicked out of him.

Get a least a little return on the investment.