PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs It goes to show...

The Poz
11-05-2009, 02:16 PM
... what different coaching and schemes can do for a player. A player like Bernard Pollard.

Sorry if it's a repost. Well, not really.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/5296/pollard-a-big-piece-of-texans-improving-d

Pollard a big piece of Texans' improving D

Posted by ESPN.com’s Paul Kuharsky

Since Gary Kubiak became head coach of the Houston Texans in 2006, he’s deployed seven different starting strong safeties.

A secondary in need of a steady physical presence didn’t get great consistency out of Glenn Earl, Jason Simmons, C.C. Brown, Brandon Harrison, Nick Ferguson, Dominique Barber or John Busing. Injuries prompted some of the changes.

But in Bernard Pollard, whose insertion into the lineup has coincided with improved defensive play, perhaps Kubiak and the Texans finally have found their man.

In October, the Texans were the fifth-best defense in the league based on yardage surrendered, and 10th in scoring defense. The defensive improvements from the first three games to the last five are remarkable, as you can see in this handy chart the team provided.

Houston's defensive improvement, 2009
Category First 3 games Last 5 games Difference
Rush yards/game 205.0* 58.2** -146.8
Pass yards/game 231.7 202.2 -29.5
Total yards/game 436.7* 260.4 -176.3
Points per game 28.7 16.4 -12.3
* Worst in the NFL.
** Best in the NFL.

All these defensive developments are wonderful for a team with the third-ranked passing game and eighth-ranked offense. Defensive consistency is a major boon for any team keyed around a potent and efficient passing attack.

What has Pollard brought?

“I take pride with my tackling, I take pride in being in the right places,” he said. “I watch games around the league and you see guys get interceptions. I wish that could happen with me. But I don’t have time to try to bait quarterbacks, because when you try to bait, things happen. Some guys get away with it.

“I’m not that player. I am a player if you expect me to be wherever on the field, that’s where I am going to be. If that makes the quarterback go to another read, then that’s going to be a coverage sack or he’s going to go somewhere else. But I take pride in tackling, I take pride in coming in with high intensity and trying to get my teammates around me to get pumped up.”

Pollard was initially a 2006 second-round pick by the Kansas City Chiefs out of Purdue, selected 54th overall. In 2008, he delivered the hit that ended Tom Brady's season, carrying himself with grace after the accident.

The Chiefs’ new regime made him part of its roster turnover and released him on Sept. 5. But David Gibbs, the Texans' new defensive backs coach, had come to Houston from K.C. He helped facilitate adding Pollard to Houston’s roster.

Pollard has not solved the Texans' troubles by himself. He has been a positive influence in exemplifying the theme that’s so popular around the league: Do your job while trusting that the guy to your right, to your left, in front of you, and behind you will do his. He said he’s seen that trust grow, and with success comes additional confidence.

Now he will try to help slow Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts' offense Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium in a game that’s fair to rate as the biggest in the Texans’ history.

A win would put the Texans at 6-3, three games over .500 for the first time ever. A victory will keep them in range of the AFC South-leading Colts, who would be 7-1. A rematch at Reliant Stadium on Nov. 19 looms.

One of Manning’s biggest weapons, tight end Dallas Clark, said the Texans' defense starts up front, but that Pollard’s on his radar.

“Their two ends [Mario Williams and Antonio Smith] and their linebackers, that's the strength of their defense,” Clark said. “The safeties and the corners, a lot of the things they do is because of the pressure and [the ends] getting the quarterbacks to make bad decisions. Still, they're there to make the play, which is what their defense needs. But I think everything they do well starts up front …

“[Pollard] is a big safety. He's a guy who loves to hit and loves to make plays. As a receiver, you have to make sure you know where he is.”

Tackling was a major issue early this season, when, for example, Tennessee Titans halfback Chris Johnson accounted for 284 yards against Houston. Sixty-nine of them came when he lined up wide to the left uncovered. Kerry Collins got the ball to him immediately, and the Texans didn’t even have a chance to miss tackles. It was Barber’s mistake, and he was benched for it with Busing replacing him.

Now concerns over such matters are much smaller.

“He’s done a nice job of coming in and kind of taking up what we are teaching, our concepts, our program,” Texans defensive coordinator Frank Bush said of Pollard. “He’s brought a physical presence to us first of all. The kid’s a big [6-foot-1, 224 pounds] and physical football player, he enjoys the contact. He seeks it. He’s the most physical presence in that secondary and all the guys try to emulate what he’s doing.”

“He’s smart, he takes good angles to the ball, he tries to keep himself out of harm’s way as far as angles on running backs and then he brings a load to the party when he hits you.”

That’s a pretty good addition when you sign a guy after the season’s under way and he quickly becomes a player others are looking to follow. Bush was surprised to get such a quality player at such a time.

Pollard appears to be a solution at what has been a questionable spot.

“He’s kind of shored it up for us and let us feel confident about what we want to call. He’ll go out and execute our program,” Bush said.

After being part of two miserable seasons in Kansas City where the Chiefs were 6-26, Pollard said he’s thrilled to be on a 5-3 team that’s got reasonable expectations of a playoff berth.

But he’s not yet sure he’s a long-term answer for a team who’s been searching for a solution at his spot.

“I hope I ended it,” he said. “Nothing’s settled until you actually sign a long-term deal and you know you are in this city for a certain amount of time. So no player gets that gratification until it’s actually done. I am very happy with what I am doing, where I am. And I hope that I prove myself. It’s still a long season and things can happen.

“Do I look for them to happen? No. I’m going to prepare myself to bring my A-game and to get my teammates, and for them to get me, hyped as can be to play football at a high level every Sunday from here on out.”

Silock
11-05-2009, 02:19 PM
This organization is such a fucking joke.

Molitoth
11-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Ya know, I've always liked Pollard... but his tackleing here was piss poor because he was always going for the big hit.

If you remember, Pollard started out great with the chiefs also... but he became lazy and went downhill. He may do the same with the Texans.

I think losing just took it's toll on the guy and he didn't care to put forth the effort anymore. I really don't blame him.

Chiefnj2
11-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Different scheme and coaching my rump. The guy couldn't tackle in KC. If his tackling has improved with the Texans its because he realizes this is his last chance and he's taking it more seriously and giving a better effort.

Demonpenz
11-05-2009, 02:23 PM
he is tearing shit up down there. chiefs once again end up having cum on their face.

CoMoChief
11-05-2009, 02:25 PM
He had tackling issues. But when you're front 7 can't get to the QB......REGARDLESS you're going to get picked apart.

What's the difference?
The Texans can get to the QB......The Chiefs can't.

Bill Lundberg
11-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Texans' new defensive backs coach, had come to Houston from K.C. He helped facilitate adding Pollard to Houston’s roster.

Where do you get that there's different coaching there bub? Looks like the same coach he had in KC>

The Poz
11-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Where do you get that there's different coaching there bub? Looks like the same coach he had in KC>

A DB coach doesn't dictate how your D is run.

Boris The Great
11-05-2009, 02:40 PM
This organization is such a ****ing joke.

Oh, please. Putting aside the complete nonsense about Pollard being any better than he used to be, people seem to forget awfully quick that Pioli tried to flip him for A SEVENTH ROUND PICK before he was cut and not a single team was interested.

Micjones
11-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Happy for Pollard. Hopefully he can experience the post-season in Houston.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2009, 02:48 PM
he is tearing shit up down there. chiefs once again end up having cum on their face.

LMAO

Regular Penz shtick or not, that was fucking hilarious.

Marcellus
11-05-2009, 02:53 PM
I love the revisionist history around here.

Regardless of what Pollard is doing now, he sucked while he was in KC for the most part. He made a few plays now and then but looked like a total dumbass trying to tackle anybody most of the time and he refused to wrap up on a hit.

If he is playing better in Houston it's like somebody else pointed out, he finally realized he was screwing up when he got cut.

Letting Pollard go was not a mistake. They guy played like a bum while he was here.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm glad he's gone. He was too awesome an individual to suffer this god-awful shithouse of a franchise.
May he rock his way to the post-season ASAP.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Oh, please. Putting aside the complete nonsense about Pollard being any better than he used to be, people seem to forget awfully quick that Pioli tried to flip him for A SEVENTH ROUND PICK before he was cut and not a single team was interested.

Teams knew that Pioli would cut him. Once cut, they can wait a week and sign him and it's not guaranteed.

He had offers from seven teams, and he went to Houston because he would be a starter and the Texans had a good chance to go to the playoffs.

Chiefnj2
11-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Teams knew that Pioli would cut him. Once cut, they can wait a week and sign him and it's not guaranteed.

He had offers from seven teams, and he went to Houston because he would be a starter and the Texans had a good chance to go to the playoffs.

Wouldn't one of the 6 teams that lost out thought he was worth a 7th round pick?

SenselessChiefsFan
11-05-2009, 03:15 PM
I love the revisionist history around here.

Regardless of what Pollard is doing now, he sucked while he was in KC for the most part. He made a few plays now and then but looked like a total dumbass trying to tackle anybody most of the time and he refused to wrap up on a hit.

If he is playing better in Houston it's like somebody else pointed out, he finally realized he was screwing up when he got cut.

Letting Pollard go was not a mistake. They guy played like a bum while he was here.

Pollard was a hard hitter and guys got alligator arms after he lit them up a time or two.

He hasn't changed. The talent around him has changed. He doesn't have to press as much anymore to make up for a lack of talent surrounding him.

Chiefnj2
11-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Pollard was a hard hitter and guys got alligator arms after he lit them up a time or two.

He hasn't changed. The talent around him has changed. He doesn't have to press as much anymore to make up for a lack of talent surrounding him.

Pollard sucked ass as a tackler.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Wouldn't one of the 6 teams that lost out thought he was worth a 7th round pick?

Again, if they trade for him, then the salary is guaranteed. No need to do it. Everyone had a chance for him.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Pollard sucked ass as a tackler.

Pollard couldn't let the game come to him. He was sick of losing. He did not play within himself, but he had no choice but to try to make a play.

He will have a good career.

The change of scenery has done him well.... and other than this preseason, he was never as bad as some on here thought he was.

He has a place in the NFL.

The Bronco Rob
11-05-2009, 03:32 PM
John Tait
Tony Richardson
Bernard Pollard
Kawika Mitchell
Jared Allen
Scott Fajita
Tony Gonzalez

Soon Brian Waters.....

Sad.....

SenselessChiefsFan
11-05-2009, 03:44 PM
John Tait
Tony Richardson
Bernard Pollard
Jared Allen
Tony Gonzalez

Soon Brian Waters.....

Sad.....

I know I am in the minority, but I would have rather had Waters leave this year. Pollard is still young. Waters hasn't played at a high level in three years.

At least Pollard had room to grow.

DaWolf
11-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Harvey Williams was also a better player for the Raiders than he was for the Chiefs.

Some guys just need a change in scenery and different players around them...

The Bronco Rob
11-06-2009, 05:50 AM
John Tait
Tony Richardson
Bernard Pollard
Kawika Mitchell
Jared Allen
Scott Fajita
Tony Gonzalez

Soon Brian Waters.....

I know I am in the minority, but I would have rather had Waters leave this year. Pollard is still young. Waters hasn't played at a high level in three years.

At least Pollard had room to grow.

True.

The Bronco Rob
11-06-2009, 09:59 AM
:eek:

Frazod
11-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Looks like Bronco Rob got himself flushed again. Hopefully this time he'll stay flushed. :thumb: