PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: What If They Held An NFL Game And Nobody Came?

Tribal Warfare
11-07-2009, 08:00 PM
What If They Held An NFL Game And Nobody Came? (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/what-if-they-held-an-nfl-game-and-nobody-came.html)
November 7, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

From Jacksonville, Florida

Jacksonville is the biggest city in America.

But Jacksonville is not big league.

The Chiefs and any fans that bother to watch in the great Midwest will see that on Sunday when there’s a chance there will be more empty seats at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium than those containing paying customers.

Granted the 1-6 Chiefs against the 3-4 Jaguars does not rank as the NFL’s premier matchup of the weekend. And yes, these two teams finished last season with losing records. But it’s not like they are a pair of franchises that have been constant losers. Jacksonville was in the playoffs in 2007; the Chiefs in 2006.

It’s become more and more apparent that Jacksonville and the so-called First Coast area of Florida is not big enough, or willing enough to support the Jaguars franchise they were given in 1995. Sunday’s game is blacked-out in northern Florida, the sixth time in six pre-season and regular season games that the Jaguars were unable to sell enough seats for home television.

The franchise didn’t even ask for an extension this week because they knew there was no way they would sell enough tickets. Reports out of Jacksonville have set the over/under attendance line at 40,000 for this game, and a lot of folks are picking the under.

And this despite the fact the team has lowered the number of seats it will sell, thus bringing down the threshold on blackout limits. Here’s how the system works: Each year, teams must turn into the league office what is called a manifest which designates the number of seats it is selling and their price. Any team can place a number less than the capacity of its stadium. The Chiefs have done that this year for Arrowhead. Now, what that number is remains a closely guarded secret in the organization. But if you wonder why the Chiefs have not had any blackouts when they obviously have plenty of empty seats and tickets available, one of the factors is them altering their capacity on the manifest.

What happens once the number is established is that no matter demand, only that number of tickets can be sold. Say a team’s manifest number was 70,000, and let’s say the same team starts the season 7-0 and demand for tickets is quite high. Even though this team has a stadium that seats 79,000, they are not allowed to sell those extra nine thousand tickets.

For the last several years, the Jaguars have covered over some of their upper deck seats and taken them off the manifest. The team’s media guide says the capacity of Jacksonville Municipal Stadium is 67,184. But enough temporary seats can be added to push the capacity to over 80,000. This was done for the Super Bowl when the 39th championship game was played there. They also expand the seating for the annual Florida-Georgia game which is played there every year.

Three weeks ago, the Jaguars hosted the St. Louis Rams and announced a crowd of 42,088. They had 46,520 for Arizona and 49,914 when Tennessee visited. In the pre-season they had 42,177 for Tampa Bay and 39,942 fans were in the house for Washington.

Yes, these are tough economic times. Yes, the Jaguars are coming off a 5-11 season. And yes, the Jags have no saleable talents or personalities. The closest thing they have to an NFL superstar is RB Maurice Jones-Drew.

But selling the Jaguars has always been tough. Yes, Jacksonville is America’s biggest city in land size. But in population, that’s another matter. The city of Jacksonville has an estimated 807,000 residents. Add those from surrounding counties and the figure creeps just above 1.3 million. That makes it the fourth smallest metro area to have a team; only Green Bay, Buffalo and New Orleans have fewer people. According to U.S. Census estimates, the Kansas City metro area has approximately 2 million people.

Much like Chiefs fans, the folks in Jacksonville aren’t willing to pay for a poor product. The team was 5-11 last year and this year they can’t get close to a sellout. The Jaguars went 5-11 in 2003 and the next season they had six regular-season games blacked out. The game against the Chiefs will be the 23rd blackout in the last nine years.

College football is No. 1 in this corner of the South, with heavy interest in teams like Florida, Florida State, Georgia and Alabama.

Majority owner Wayne Weaver has publicly remained committed to Jacksonville. But player costs have risen in recent years, while his revenue fell and Weaver faces some tough future choices.

The folks in Jacksonville finally have figured out there might be a problem, as just last week they revived an organization called Touchdown Jacksonville. This civic group helped campaign and convince the NFL that the city should have an expansion franchise back in 1995.

“Jaguars ticket sales are down more than any other team in the NFL,” said Carl Cannon, who is heading up the push for pro football a second time. “We are at a critical point in the history of the Jaguars in Jacksonville.”

The first goal of Touchdown Jacksonville is to sell out the Jaguars game against Indianapolis on December 17th. That’s a Thursday night game, the only night game on the Jags schedule this year.

“The Jaguars put us on the map,” said Cannon. “By every count the Jaguars are good to Jacksonville.”

Hammock Parties
11-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Jacksonville Municipal Stadium

It's sad they lost their sponsor.

I mean...who can't find some company these days that wants to slap their name on a stadium?

Sad.

Mojo Jojo
11-07-2009, 08:27 PM
It's sad they lost their sponsor.

I mean...who can't find some company these days that wants to slap their name on a stadium?

Sad.

The Chiefs???

Hammock Parties
11-07-2009, 08:28 PM
The Chiefs???

Haven't they had a bunch of offers?

C-Mac
11-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Los Angeles Jaguars

Mojo Jojo
11-07-2009, 08:32 PM

Several years ago American Century asked, but never happened. Since then the Chiefs have tried to sell the naming rights themselves, went out and hired IMG to find a sponsor a year later fired IMG and all but given up on finding a naming rights partner.

Hammock Parties
11-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Several years ago American Century asked, but never happened. Since then the Chiefs have tried to sell the naming rights themselves, went out and hired IMG to find a sponsor a year later fired IMG and all but given up on finding a naming rights partner.

Wow.

Well...lump the Chiefs in with the Jacksonfail Jaguars... :shake:

Deberg_1990
11-07-2009, 08:39 PM
The NFL should have given that franchise to st louis in the first place. Not that it matters much anymore. Jags are destined for L.A.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-07-2009, 08:53 PM
What If I Wrote Stupid Article And Wasted Three Minutes of ROR's Life With It? (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/what-if-they-held-an-nfl-game-and-nobody-came.html)
November 7, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

JFC.:shake:

Pioli Zombie
11-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Amazing. Team sucks. Attendence goes down. Amazing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mojo Jojo
11-07-2009, 09:09 PM
The NFL should have given that franchise to st louis in the first place. Not that it matters much anymore. Jags are destined for L.A.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hottest rumor is the Rams back to LA...then the Jags to St. Louis. No realignment needed. The Jags may have the worst lease in the NFL and one of the smallest markets.

Two years ago the Jags had a new stadium sponsor lined-up, but the city wanted a big cut of those revenues and the deal feel through.

LaChapelle
11-07-2009, 09:10 PM
The Raiders, Chargers and 49ers. Sure bring the Jaguars to Cally what's another half empty stadium.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Amazing. Team sucks. Attendence goes down. Amazing.
Posted via Mobile Device

I sincerely hope he doesn't believe his article can serve as some sort of "take heed"-nonsense. The fact is, the Chiefs game day experience is what keeps the prerequisite asses in the seats, even if we only win two games.

ArrowheadMagic
11-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I sincerely hope he doesn't believe his article can serve as some sort of "take heed"-nonsense. The fact is, the Chiefs game day experience is what keeps the prerequisite asses in the seats, even if we only win two games.

Even that, most games, isnt what it used to be, by far. But since no one will pay me for my tickets, I show up.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Even that, most games, isnt what it used to be, by far. But since no one will pay me for my tickets, I show up.

And a shitty day at Arrowhead is better than a magnificent day at work, yes?

ArrowheadMagic
11-07-2009, 09:22 PM
And a shitty day at Arrowhead is better than a magnificent day at work, yes?

heh, both are a kick to the sack.... one I get paid for that kick. The other has cold beer.

Mojo Jojo
11-07-2009, 09:23 PM

You are making bad assumptions. Every game so far this season the Chiefs have had TV stations and sponsors buy tickets to keep the game from being blacked out, so they aren't "selling" the tickets to the public. Three years ago the Jaguars quit asking TV stations and sponsors to buy unsold/unused tickets just so the game can be on local TV.

The Jags business plan is to protect the investment of those who buy tickets. If you can get free tickets on Thursday or Friday no one will continue to buy tickets, and you still end up with all the no shows. Have you seen Arrowhead this season? The Chiefs are one of a very few teams that still manufacture sellouts via third parties.

MGRS13
11-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Wow.

Well...lump the Chiefs in with the Jacksonfail Jaguars... :shake:

You guys are idiots. Jerry Jones has a billion dollar stadium and a team playing for the playoffs. Guess what they play in cowboy stadium because no one is buying naming rights to shit right now. It's the economy stupid.

CosmicPal
11-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Uhhhm, does this blackout mean I won't get to see the game at a bar? I'm planning on going to a sports bar here in Tampa to watch the game. I'll still be able to see it won't I?

ArrowheadMagic
11-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Uhhhm, does this blackout mean I won't get to see the game at a bar? I'm planning on going to a sports bar here in Tampa to watch the game. I'll still be able to see it won't I?

Are you 75 miles away? Think you are, should be ok.

CosmicPal
11-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Are you 75 miles away? Think you are, should be ok.

Yeah, Jacksonville's about 3-4 hours from here. That'll work. Thanks.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-07-2009, 10:52 PM
You are making bad assumptions. Every game so far this season the Chiefs have had TV stations and sponsors buy tickets to keep the game from being blacked out, so they aren't "selling" the tickets to the public.
Have you seen Arrowhead this season? The Chiefs are one of a very few teams that still manufacture sellouts via third parties.

Then perhaps the fielding of a better product would be in order?:evil:

ImBringinAllenBack
11-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Dear Chiefs Planet,

I will be in the Jacksonville that day and will be attending the game. I hope to see some fellow Chiefs fans there as well. I know the Chiefs are not doing that well this year but they can still turn it around. Mark Cassel is a really good QB and with some help the Chiefs can be really good again.

Thanks

Spott
11-07-2009, 11:47 PM
I'll be there tomorrow. It should be perfect weather for the game and there will be plenty of empty seats. They only sold 42,000 tickets in their last home game against the Rams and the actual attendance number was under 40K They are expecting a similiar turnout tomorrow. I go to all the games here, but this is not an NFL town and this city shouldn't have an NFL franchise.

Hammock Parties
11-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Mark Cassel is a really good QB and with some help the Chiefs can be really good again.

Thanks

It's spelled "Mark Castle."

KCrockaholic
11-08-2009, 12:29 AM

Why not just have Arrowhead water as our sponsor. That would work.

Coach
11-08-2009, 12:33 AM
I do wonder if the Browns/Chiefs game could possibly be blacked out....

ArrowheadMagic
11-08-2009, 12:55 AM
I do wonder if the Browns/Chiefs game could possibly be blacked out....

Bills and Browns will be the toughest, but ad dollars still trump what they(KCTV5) are spending on tickets. I predict neither game will be blacked out.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-08-2009, 03:23 AM
It's spelled "Mark Castle."

LMAO

As big of a bastard as I am, I just couldn't do it to the n00b.

Bearcat
11-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Wow, home games against Arizona, a team no one in Florida cares about... the Rams, Titans, and Chiefs.

I don't care what kind of attendance problems they've had in the past, that's just brutal.

sparkky
11-08-2009, 08:03 AM
if the weather is crappy here in KC late this season when Cleveland comes we could see more bodies on the sidelines than in the seats.

Spott
11-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Wow, home games against Arizona, a team no one in Florida cares about... the Rams, Titans, and Chiefs.

I don't care what kind of attendance problems they've had in the past, that's just brutal.

They used to rely on the visiting teams fans to bring the attendance up in Jacksonville. They avoided blackouts last year because they played a lot of teams that attracted thousands of visiting fans. Tennessee had a few fans but you could count the number of AZ and St Louis fans with your hands. KC should bring a little more presence, but the stadium will still be half empty.