PDA

View Full Version : Football For You Boise St. Haters

dtrain
11-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Their schedule isn't the best because no one wants to play them check it out.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-boise110709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

RUSTON, La. – Is it cowardice or collusion?

Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier is all but begging for a major opponent – any major opponent – to play his Broncos, particularly in 2011. He can hardly get his calls returned. Not by the SEC. Not by the Big Ten. Not by anyone.

Bleymaier is making a nearly unheard of offer in college football scheduling – Boise will bring its popular, high-profile, top-10 team to any stadium in any town to play any big name team in America in 2011. And they don’t have to return the date in Idaho.

So far, no one has bit.

ESPN has even become involved trying to broker a deal that will almost assuredly be nationally televised. Still no luck.

It’s the kind of non-conference game that should have schools salivating. Boise delivers an opponent that will challenge your players, exposure that will extend your brand and a home game that will excite your fans.

“It’s been surprising how many big schools have not been receptive of us coming to their place,” Bleymaier said.

This is the conundrum for the upstart program and every non-major conference school trying to battle for national respect.

Boise is 44-4 over the past four seasons, including 4-1 against major conference opponents. Yet that doesn’t guarantee the Broncos a slot in a big money BCS bowl due to the level of competition they play in the Western Athletic Conference.

The school acknowledges it needs to play tougher teams. Yet how can they beat quality opponents if quality opponents won’t play them?

What Boise is left with is games like Friday’s here. They traveled 2,000 miles to beat Louisiana Tech 45-35, a conference game, and improve to 9-0 on the season. For that they practically had to apologize because it wasn’t a blowout.

“That’s how it always is when we play,” coach Chris Petersen said. “It’s never good enough. It’s good enough for us, we won. If you’re looking to win by so much, if you’re looking for style points, if you’re looking to play for the polls, which we’re not, it’s not going to be good enough.”

Petersen has had it with arguing about whether the Broncos deserve a BCS bid. All he can do is win games. His team beat the one major opponent that would play them this year – a 19-8 victory over Oregon in the season opener.

Yet he deals with questions about who his team plays in the WAC. Boise won consecutive games this year by a combined score of 99-16 and dropped from No. 4 to No. 7 in the BCS standings. Petersen said he wouldn’t be surprised if they dropped again this week. They may again put together a perfect season only to be left out.

The only answer is to play better non-conference opponents. Next season they have games against Oregon State and Virginia Tech. After that though, things may be drying up. In 2011, they can’t get one game, let alone two.

So are the big schools scared of playing Boise? Avoiding tough non-conference opponents is the new trend in college football thanks to the BCS. The championship system discourages dangerous, if exciting, out-of-league scheduling as it continues to sap the life out of the regular season.

Or, perhaps, this is how the major conferences are going to deal with the Broncos.

Put it this way, if no one good agrees to play Boise then Boise can’t beat anyone any good. And if Boise can’t beat anyone any good, then how can they ever argue they’re deserving of a spot in a $17.5 million BCS bowl?

“I don’t think it’s collusion,” Bleymaier said. “I think it’s athletic directors going to their football coaches and saying, ‘hey, what about playing this school?’ If coaches had their druthers they’d play sisters of the poor 11 times.”

Still, the frustration is obvious.

“Some of those schools that are saying ‘let them play our schedule’ won’t play us,” Bleymaier said.

That no one will accept Boise State’s offer is absurd. This isn’t a decade ago, when playing the program was no-win situation. If you won, you were supposed to win because no one had heard of them. If you lost (which was likely) it was a disaster.

There can’t be any college fans left who don’t know how good Petersen’s team is. A game against Boise would bolster anyone’s home schedule. It would be a huge game. The television exposure would be invaluable.

Maybe Florida and Texas don’t need a game with Boise (they can ride non-conference cupcakes to the title game). A middle of the pack Big Ten or Big 12 team certainly does though. Boise’s program is more famous than all of them – the Broncos are on true national television seven times this season alone.

Yet no one wants the game. They’ll schedule mismatches from the old Division I-AA instead (and charge full ticket price). Bleymaier has to keep his composure as he listens to the critics.

Last year Utah went 13-0 yet didn’t have a chance to play for the BCS title. At a Congressional subcommittee hearing University of Nebraska chancellor and BCS figurehead Harvey Perlman was asked what the Utes could’ve done differently.

“They could have played the schedule Nebraska did,” Perlman said.

While it’s par for the course for the BCS to have a leader who has no idea how college football works, what can a Boise State do in the face of that kind of ignorance?

Would Boise accept an invitation to join the Big 12?

“Yeah, of course,” Bleymaier said. “If we were in their conference we’d play that schedule.”

Not only is that not happening they can’t get one game against the league. While Bleymaier won’t say specifically which schools have turned him down, he will say that the open date remains – Sept. 3, 2011. The offer stands, the Broncos will go anywhere.

And, lo and behold, guess which major conference school happens to have an open date? How about Harvey Perlman’s Nebraska, the one-time powerhouse which could use all the big attention grabbing games it can get these days?

Don’t hold your breath on that one – chicken or collusion, the result is the same.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I almost wish Boise would get an invite in the PAC 10.

RealSNR
11-08-2009, 10:51 AM
I'd rather see Boise in the championship game than Cincinnati. Won't happen, but whatever.

I feel sorry for them, but according to the system we have now, TCU is a much better team to put in the championship game.

SPchief
11-08-2009, 10:51 AM
As a Husker fan I would want them to play that game

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm not surprised No SEC or Big Ten schools won't invite them. Ohio St. is a coward(and I'm a fan)Tressel is too concerned about playing shitty in-state schools, save Cincinnati.

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I'd rather see Boise in the championship game than Cincinnati. Won't happen, but whatever.

I feel sorry for them, but according to the system we have now, TCU is a much better team to put in the championship game.I'd LOVE to see Boise vs. Cinci or TCU or any combination that does not involve Florida, Alabama, USC, etc...

DaKCMan AP
11-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm not surprised No SEC or Big Ten schools won't invite them. Ohio St. is a coward(and I'm a fan)Tressel is too concerned about playing shitty in-state schools, save Cincinnati.

Nice, blame the SEC or Big 10 but not the Big XII or Big East.

DaKCMan AP
11-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I'd LOVE to see Boise vs. Cinci or TCU or any combination that does not involve Florida, Alabama, USC, etc...

Won't happen. Tough shit. Get over it.

jspchief
11-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Boise St beat Oregon then everyone looked at their schedule and said "they'll win out".

It may not be their fault, but the team is pretty untested as far as the unbeatens go.

DaKCMan AP
11-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Boise St beat Oregon then everyone looked at their schedule and said "they'll win out".

It may not be their fault, but the team is pretty untested as far as the unbeatens go.

Pretty much. The computers hate them.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Won't happen. Tough shit. Get over it.

As long as your refs keep protecting your top teams so that they don't lose.

RealSNR
11-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Won't happen. Tough shit. Get over it.Look, if Florida goes undefeated they deserve the championship spot, most definitely. I think everybody agrees.

What is retarded though is to have two 1-loss teams in there when there are THREE undefeateds who have beaten top 25 opponents.

I know it's by computer, but people can't reasonably say, "those small-conference schools aren't the best teams in the nation" until they put one of them in that situation and see how well they do.

DaKCMan AP
11-08-2009, 11:14 AM

Right, cause it didn't happen for Iowa against Indiana or the BS roughing the passer call against OU that led to a Texas FG. Bad calls only happen in the SEC and it's all a big conspiracy.

I love how people complain about the Dustin Doe TD against Miss St but no one talks about the bogus roughing the passer call that took away a Florida pick-6 in the same game. It goes both ways.

dtrain
11-08-2009, 11:24 AM

This fo sho!

stormtrooper
11-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Its true.WE here in Boise think the big schoold hide. Thet dont want the risk of losing like all the others we have faced

salame
11-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I want to see them play someone like Texas in the regular season
or LSU

RippedmyFlesh
11-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Yet another problem solved with a playoff system. If 1 loss doesn't keep you out of a playoff more teams would schedule tough non conference games. A 16 team playoff would be epic in college football. A March madness for football would be great I think.

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Nice, blame the SEC or Big 10 but not the Big XII or Big East.Did you notice that I mentioned I am a Ohio St. fan?

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2009, 12:17 PM
As long as your refs keep protecting your top teams so that they don't lose.:clap::LOL:

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Won't happen. Tough shit. Get over it.Well, I'm quite sure you will remain happy with the status quo as long as Florida is handed National Championships...

Coach
11-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I almost wish Boise would get an invite in the PAC 10.

They should. Washington St. has been the suck.

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2009, 12:21 PM
or LSUObviously, so would Boise St.

Param
11-08-2009, 01:08 PM
This is why I continue to root for the Boise States, Cincy, and the TCU's of college football. The system is a joke no question. Need to continue to see teams likes these continue to go undefeated so the argument doesn't go away. Like last year, I was cheering for Utah over Bama. Boise St. beating Oklahoma the other year.

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Boise St. beating Oklahoma the other year.That was easily the BEST college FB game I've ever seen, and one of the best overall sports games I've seen...

vailpass
11-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Its true.WE here in Boise think the big schoold hide. Thet dont want the risk of losing like all the others we have faced

If you want to be taken seriously lose the smurf turf for starters. What the hell is that?

vailpass
11-08-2009, 01:23 PM
or LSU

I'd like to see the little schools that bitch every year have to go through the grind of a Big XXII, Big 10 or SEC full-season schedule.

KC native
11-08-2009, 01:57 PM
**** BOISE STATE! RAH RAH TCU! (at least one of my teams is doing something and TCU is better than Boise State)
http://www.sport-insight.com/images/ncaaf/TCU%20Horned%20Frogs.gif

veist
11-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Right, cause it didn't happen for Iowa against Indiana or the BS roughing the passer call against OU that led to a Texas FG. Bad calls only happen in the SEC and it's all a big conspiracy.

I love how people complain about the Dustin Doe TD against Miss St but no one talks about the bogus roughing the passer call that took away a Florida pick-6 in the same game. It goes both ways.

There are bad calls, they happen and tend to even themselves out over the course of a season. And then there are inexcusable calls of things that didn't happen like the ones that SEC crew called where they got suspended.

Until the system doesn't place undue weight on winning, why risk losing to maybe move up a little bit by getting a win against a tough non-conference opponent? I mean the problem is the system that basically only cares if you win the non-conference games or lose them not who you played. Blame the system for being flawed not the guys that are playing the system I say.

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Boise St will have to pay to play I think. It's dirty, but they are going to have to offer up some money. Schedule1 or 2 top conference oppoenents. It still won't change the crappy schedule they play in their conference. They need to get into a major conference.

Ohio Sts 2011 schedule is probably already done. Virginia Tech plays the Buckeys in 2014/2015 and that was announced 4 years ago.

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Yet another problem solved with a playoff system. If 1 loss doesn't keep you out of a playoff more teams would schedule tough non conference games. A 16 team playoff would be epic in college football. A March madness for football would be great I think.

You'd have to cancel just about every non-confernce game and start the playoffs at the middle of november. We already have a playoff system and it's the whole season.

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Boise St will have to pay to play I think. It's dirty, but they are going to have to offer up some money. Schedule1 or 2 top conference oppoenents. It still won't change the crappy schedule they play in their conference. They need to get into a major conference.

Ohio Sts 2011 schedule is probably already done. Virginia Tech plays the Buckeys in 2014/2015 and that was announced 4 years ago.OSUs schedule for 2012 is done and its fucking pathetic. 12 games. Only 4 road games.

ohiobronco2
11-08-2009, 05:24 PM

You know as well as I do why he does that. He likes to keep the money in state. I don't know if the economic conditions factored in when the schedule was put together, but given how things are, I'm glad they played in state opponents. Just about all teams play a weak out of conference schedule, difference is, most teams play in a better conference than the Big 10. I will state that OSU did just back out of some agreement to play Cincinnati at home and moved the game to the Shoe. The reason was because it will make more money for all involved, but is does take away from the Bearcats home field advantage. Of course, I'm sure the Buckeyes would travel well to Cincy.:D

kstater
11-08-2009, 05:29 PM
You'd have to cancel just about every non-confernce game and start the playoffs at the middle of november. We already have a playoff system and it's the whole season.

You're exactly right. That's why the sole undefeated team last year was named National Champion.

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 05:33 PM
You're exactly right. That's why the sole undefeated team last year was named National Champion.

It's a body of work as well. Put Boise St in the SEC or B12 and they'll lose more games.

Valiant
11-08-2009, 05:33 PM
If you want to be taken seriously lose the smurf turf for starters. What the hell is that?

That is awesome is what it is..

kstater
11-08-2009, 05:35 PM
It's a body of work as well. Put Boise St in the SEC or B12 and they'll lose more games.
You said the season is a playoff, meaning lose and you're out.

And, the big conferences won't give them the chance. Hence the article.

Valiant
11-08-2009, 05:38 PM

I disagree with that.. The bowl season is long enough to allow a continuous playoff system for four weeks.. You could have your bowl games and then the playoff games would be BCS bowls for the first week..

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 05:40 PM
I disagree with that.. The bowl season is long enough to allow a continuous playoff system for four weeks.. You could have your bowl games and then the playoff games would be BCS bowls for the first week..

I would support that provided the players draw games checks. Because at that point you need to pay them.

dtrain
11-08-2009, 05:56 PM

I bet if Boise was in the SEC or XII they would be one of the top 2 or 3 teams!

dtrain
11-08-2009, 05:57 PM
I bet they would be undefeated in the Big XII North and it would have come down to them and Texas if they were in the south.

Skip Towne
11-08-2009, 06:05 PM
They didn't look so good at Tulsa.

dilligaf
11-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm from Idaho and root for BSU. Are they better than the top schools?Probably not. All they are saying is give them a chance to play some of the top schools once in awhile.
And the BSU vs TCU game last year was a very hard fought game on both sides.

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 06:39 PM

Maybe in the b12 north, but not in the SEC at all.

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2009, 06:56 PM
I would support that provided the players draw games checks. Because at that point you need to pay them.4 yrs of free education at a major university isnt enough?

dtrain
11-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Maybe in the b12 north, but not in the SEC at all.

I believe the Sec also LSU isn't that good. I'd bet they would beat 2 out of those three.

veist
11-08-2009, 08:34 PM
OSUs schedule for 2012 is done and its ****ing pathetic. 12 games. Only 4 road games.

At least they play non-conference games outside the state of Ohio on occasion, Florida hasn't played a non-conference game outside the state of Florida in the BCS era.

BigMeatballDave
11-08-2009, 09:06 PM
At least they play non-conference games outside the state of Ohio on occasion, Florida hasn't played a non-conference game outside the state of Florida in the BCS era.Seriously?

ohiobronco2
11-08-2009, 09:32 PM

ROFLROFL Oh, you're being serious. :rolleyes:

Garcia Bronco
11-08-2009, 09:46 PM
4 yrs of free education at a major university isnt enough?

No. Especially when they use these kid's accomplishments, images, and talents to make money.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Seriously?

You didn't know that?

Most of those teams won't schedule anyone worth a shit and they make sure they're close.

Also Boise can't get in the Pac 10 because their academic standards are to low.

baitism
11-08-2009, 09:55 PM
A four team playoff would be plenty to get a undisputed champion, and it is quite do-able if it wasn't for $$$.

stormtrooper
11-09-2009, 01:25 AM
haters kellen moore is one of the best qbs in the country

stormtrooper
11-09-2009, 01:25 AM
they cant get into the pac 10 cause then it would be the pac 11

ChiefsCountry
11-09-2009, 01:40 AM
No way can Boise State get into the PAC-10, PAC-10 is academics first and Boise doesn't fit that profile at all. I doubt Boise would run the table every year if they were in the MWC.

Bearcat
11-09-2009, 07:13 AM
At least they play non-conference games outside the state of Ohio on occasion, Florida hasn't played a non-conference game outside the state of Florida in the BCS era.

You didn't know that?

Most of those teams won't schedule anyone worth a shit and they make sure they're close.

Also Boise can't get in the Pac 10 because their academic standards are to low.

Well, you're talking about a game against FSU every year, as well as games against Miami... and when you throw in the SEC schedule, there's no reason to play anyone else. OSU needs one or two good OOC games, because the Big 10 sucks.

LMAO

KC native
11-09-2009, 07:16 AM
No way can Boise State get into the PAC-10, PAC-10 is academics first and Boise doesn't fit that profile at all. I doubt Boise would run the table every year if they were in the MWC.

QFT.

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Well, you're talking about a game against FSU every year, as well as games against Miami... and when you throw in the SEC schedule, there's no reason to play anyone else. OSU needs one or two good OOC games, because the Big 10 sucks.

Bingo!

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2009, 07:56 AM
That was easily the BEST college FB game I've ever seen, and one of the best overall sports games I've seen...

That was a great game, but I think the USC-Texas 2005 NC game was better.

kepp
11-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Could it be that the "major opponents" don't schedule them because they know they have them over a barrel and not necessarily because they're scared?

BigMeatballDave
11-09-2009, 08:46 AM

LMAOI'm as critical as anyone when it comes to Ohio State's schedule.(and I'm a fan) They have played USC the past 2 seasons. They play Miami the next 2.

Chiefnj2
11-09-2009, 08:49 AM
If you only have 4 road games you should automatically be disqualified from the BCS championship.

BigMeatballDave
11-09-2009, 08:51 AM
they cant get into the pac 10 cause then it would be the pac 11Like the Big Ten? :D

Bearcat
11-09-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm as critical as anyone when it comes to Ohio State's schedule.(and I'm a fan) They have played USC the past 2 seasons. They play Miami the next 2.

And that's what they need to do, because the Big 10 sucks.

Well, I'll say that's what they need to do in terms of preparing for real teams so they don't get embarrassed on national tv.

It's not like they need a strong OOC schedule to get BCS/NC bids... they could play all of their OOC games at home against local high schools and as long as they played well in the Big 10, the media would prop them up high enough to be in the running for a NC every year. Hell, Iowa jumped like 20 spots for beating PSU, and who the hell has PSU beaten lately? Oh yeah, Ohio State, last year. :doh!:

Boise_Chief
11-09-2009, 09:55 AM
If Boise State did move up into a better conference they would go through a couple of years of 4-5 loss seasons. but with the increase in scholarships and the better chance at recruiting they would be right back in a couple of years. It is a well run Program and are contenders now with the disadvantages of playing in the WAC. What is holding them back right now is academics and their other sports programs. It doesn't make sense right now for any other conference to invite them in.

But back to the OP, If we can't schedule better oponents we can't play a tougher schedule. The big name schools don't want to lose at home and noone wants to come play BSU at home.

El Jefe
11-09-2009, 10:12 AM

I agree some with this in the past, but not so much recently. We had Texas 2years in a row, one with Vince, the other with McCoy. We had USC 2 years in a row, now we have Miami two years in a row. Then we have Cal scheduled for 2 in a row after that. So was our OCS weak in the past yes, are we fixing that, IMO yes we are. Boise State IMO is meh.