PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What position do we need the most in the first round?

googlegoogle
11-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Half of you were saying LT.

Is that still true?

Dline?

KCChiefsMan
11-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Taylor Mays or Eric Berry

OnTheWarpath15
We need players at almost every position, therefore you take the best player/playmaker available.

This team needs talent, not to reach for need - again.

DBOSHO
mays or berry. no question.

we can get oline later in the draft or FA

KCChiefsMan
We need players at almost every position, therefore you take the best player/playmaker available.

yup

Bane
11-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Clearly OL,but everyone will say you don't take a OL with as high a 1st round pick as we will have.I think after taking Tyson Jackson at 3 we cant do any worse a pick in the first round if we go OL.I voted for going with Berry with our first rounder in a recent poll on here though.

chiefs1111
11-08-2009, 04:28 PM

This a million times over

googlegoogle
11-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Another passrusher I'm guessing.

Pioli wont pass on that.

The_Doctor10
11-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Clearly OL,but everyone will say you don't take a OL with as high a 1st round pick as we will have.I think after taking Tyson Jackson at 3 we cant do any worse a pick in the first round if we go OL.I voted for going with Berry with our first rounder in a recent poll on here though.

I'm not advocating LT or OL, but Jake Long and Joe Thomas would disagree with you there....

The Chiefs are bereft of talent at every single position, so go BPA, as everyone else has already said.

Bane
11-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm not advocating LT or OL, but Jake Long and Joe Thomas would disagree with you there....

The Chiefs are bereft of talent at every single position, so go BPA, as everyone else has already said.

We can agree on that,clearly we need playmakers at more than just the OL position.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Absolutely. The word "need" should be removed from the drafting lexicon for the next 5 years.

BossChief
11-08-2009, 04:43 PM
BPA

(but after today, I am on the Berry wagon!)

DBOSHO
11-08-2009, 04:43 PM
who will the teams in front of us draft, if there are any?

doomy3
11-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I think this year, the board consensus is back to BPA, positional value be damned.

Bane
11-08-2009, 04:45 PM
I think this year, the board consensus is back to BPA, positional value be damned.

Yeah Im usually go for need,but when you need 10-15 starters you kinda have to go BPA.

Quesadilla Joe
11-08-2009, 04:48 PM
The Chiefs will not have a winning record until they fix their offensive line. It isn't Pioli's fault that Carl drafted a guard in the first round a few years ago. If there is a LT worthy of a top 5 pick the Chiefs should take him.

RedThat
11-08-2009, 04:49 PM
The Chiefs will not have a winning record until they fix their offensive line. It isn't Pioli's fault that Carl drafted a guard in the first round a few years ago. If there is a LT worthy of a top 5 pick the Chiefs should take him.

I agree good post

Micjones
11-08-2009, 04:49 PM
mays or berry. no question.

we can get oline later in the draft or FA

The two are such amazing prospects.
I think you're right. To get that kind of talent at any position would be a coup for this front office.

Bane
11-08-2009, 04:50 PM

Pioli is catching a lot of shit that is King Carl's fault,but I still haven't seen the GENIUS wave his miracle wand over the land and make the streets turn to gold.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Pioli is catching a lot of shit that is King Carl's fault.

Because it's his multi-million dollar fucking JOB to correct that "shit".

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-08-2009, 04:54 PM

I agree good post

And so it begins...

KChiefs1
11-08-2009, 04:55 PM
It's pretty obvious that Safety is a major concern on the team along with the OL & WR. Berry or Mays would be a perfect fit for this team. I'm not sure if there's a LT that's good enough to be picked that high & I know there isn't a WR because Bryant is the best WR & he will be in the 10-15 range.

Braincase
11-08-2009, 05:31 PM
For the next three years, I'd be happy if they went O-Line and D-line for the first three picks in the draft. Everything starts with the line. If you have the best O-line in football, you can get by with late-round running backs.

Agent V
11-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Just say yes to Mays.

Psyko Tek
11-08-2009, 06:24 PM
screw BPA
we don't need a qb(no Oline)
no rb(see above)
we need line
o and d
safeties
lb
just make sure he is worth the money

Noss
11-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Any 22 players off the street... oh wait!

chefs fan in omaha
11-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Trade Dorsey and take Ndominik Suh
Chefs need a LT, but i'm not sure if any are worthy of a top 3 pick

Mecca
11-08-2009, 06:50 PM
When I see people pining to use a top 10 pick on an offensive lineman it makes me want to vomit.

KCrockaholic
11-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Taylor Mays or Eric Berry

This. Nothing else matters at this point.

RustShack
11-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Too bad there isn't an elite player at every position every single year in the top five like some people seem to believe. Position Taylor Mays please.

dtrain
11-08-2009, 06:52 PM
It is definitely best player available. We should try to trade back and aquire more pics.

LaChapelle
11-08-2009, 06:54 PM
missionary..oh wait...or not.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 06:54 PM
And there is not a single offensive lineman worth a top 10 pick.

milkman
11-08-2009, 06:59 PM
For the next three years, I'd be happy if they went O-Line and D-line for the first three picks in the draft. Everything starts with the line. If you have the best O-line in football, you can get by with late-round running backs.

And lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 07:01 PM
And lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Some people will never learn.

tk13
11-08-2009, 07:03 PM
All of them.

luv
11-08-2009, 07:04 PM

Offensive lineman is typically the most solid pick you can get though, right?

What draft picks have we given away for this year? When would our next pick be? When have glimmers of hope elsewhere that we can work with, except the offensive line. I'm still undecided about when to pick one, but that is definitely our greatest need.

bevischief
11-08-2009, 07:10 PM

This

Mecca
11-08-2009, 07:12 PM

What draft picks have we given away for this year? When would our next pick be? When have glimmers of hope elsewhere that we can work with, except the offensive line. I'm still undecided about when to pick one, but that is definitely our greatest need.

No pick is really "safe" Robert Gallery was a top 5 pick, he hasn't worked out.

This team is bad we need to be taking the best available player, we need playmakers.

bevischief
11-08-2009, 07:12 PM
It is definitely best player available. We should try to trade back and aquire more pics.

This as well.

RedThat
11-08-2009, 07:13 PM

They said the same thing when Clady came out.

bevischief
11-08-2009, 07:14 PM

This team is bad we need to be taking the best available player, we need playmakers.

:clap:

RedThat
11-08-2009, 07:14 PM

Usually they are.

Its funny though how this team hasn't invested much in Offensive lineman when it comes to the first day of the draft.

milkman
11-08-2009, 07:17 PM

If he had gone to a top 5 team that was predominately a power oriented team, he would have been a terrible pick.

He went to a team that used the perfect system to utilize his talent.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 07:17 PM

And he wasn't the first lineman taken in his draft...

If you take a OT with your first pick this year in the top 10 you are pissing on playmakers.

You desire to rebuild a team that couldn't even win a playoff game.

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2009, 07:22 PM

Left tackles are fairly risky picks.

But to your point, the best Guards and Centers go off the board in the late first, early second. That means that if you use your early second on one of those guys, you'll get one of the best Guards or Centers in the draft class. And if you use a 3rd round pick on either of those guys, you're still drafting one of the better players in that draft class.

Moral of the story? You can SIGNIFICANTLY upgrade the offensive line by bringing in 3 players either through free agency or rounds 2-4 of the draft. I'd rather have a playmaker in the first, and solid guys in those o-line positions in the 2-4th.

luv
11-08-2009, 07:23 PM

Don't you think improving the offensive line would ultimately help improve the playmakers we thought we already had? I'm not a Cassel fan at all, but I do think we'd be able to judge him more fairly if he had at least a little coverage.

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Usually they are.

Its funny though how this team hasn't invested much in Offensive lineman when it comes to the first day of the draft.

I agree.

But the key word is "FIRST DAY." Which, to me, still means first, second or third round (even if the first day is now only the first and second round).

I don't think anybody here is saying to ignore the o-line again. We're all just saying that you don't need to use a top 5 pick to get it.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Don't you think improving the offensive line would ultimately help improve the playmakers we thought we already had? I'm not a Cassel fan at all, but I do think we'd be able to judge him more fairly if he had at least a little coverage.

No I don't because we have no playmakers...this team is slow, especially on defense.

And you can build an offensive line out of the first round.

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2009, 07:25 PM

Trust me, I 100% agree with you there. But you can get starters in the 2nd-4th round. It just so happens that this team under Carl Peterson never tried because they were so busy building for now that they never thought to bring in some young guys to replace Shields and Wiegmann when their time was running short.

RedThat
11-08-2009, 07:26 PM

I agree.

But, this team needs to learn how to draft better overall period. Its not the BPA thats gonna make a difference, its the guys in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th rds, etc...that will make a difference. I don't care what anyone says. This is what they need to do to fill the voids.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 07:26 PM
The major problem with taking lineman with really early picks is it's a playmakers league, if you are a solid team without them you are what the Chiefs use to be...a playoff team that loses.

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2009, 07:28 PM
By the way, for those who don't understand why we need a safety....

In the last several games, the defense hasn't been horrible. They are getting killed by giving up way too many big plays. And why are they giving up too many big plays?
1. The LBs and Safeties are not maintaining their gap responsibility. Once a RB cuts through a lane, our safeties are nowhere to be found.
2. The Safeties are showing up to break up the play 3 steps too late
3. Our safeties are taking terrible, terrible, terrible angles to make tackles, and it usually results in a receiver/running back cutting loose for a huge play that should have been stopped 20+ yards shorter.

Our safeties just exist. They don't make plays. They don't anticipate plays. They only make stops if the plays come to them. Playmakers come to plays, not the other way around. Our defense hasn't played terrible, but our safeties have been playing beyond atrocious.

RedThat
11-08-2009, 07:32 PM
;)I agree.

But the key word is "FIRST DAY." Which, to me, still means first, second or third round (even if the first day is now only the first and second round).

I don't think anybody here is saying to ignore the o-line again. We're all just saying that you don't need to use a top 5 pick to get it.

Right. and Id like to express my point.

It all depends. I think if you wanna go tackle, a majority of the time those guys go in the first.

Guards, Centers can be taken in the 2nd or 3rd...But its a looooong time since I recall that the Chiefs have drafted a guard or center in the 2nd or 3rd round. Thats where I wanted to get at.

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I agree.

But, this team needs to learn how to draft better overall period. Its not the BPA thats gonna make a difference, its the guys in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th rds, etc...that will make a difference. I don't care what anyone says. This is what they need to do to fill the voids.

No, I disagree.

The 1st round is your only shot at getting a clear-cut playmaker. The 2nd to 5th rounds are where you get your solid guys. No Guard is ever going to be considered a "playmaker." They just do their job and some of them do it very well.

Playmakers are guys who can do above and beyond their position. Look at Polamalu. The difference between Polamalu and Bernard Pollard is that he's so good, that you can use him as an extra blitzer, you can use him in pass coverage, you can blitz the house and leave him on an island, you can even use him as an attacker in run defense. What did Sammy Knight do in KC? He covered some tight ends, he defended the box, he hit some receivers as they were coming up the middle... that's about it.

Knight, in his better years, wasn't a terrible safety. But the difference between a decent safety and a playmaker is the difference between Knight and Polamalu. You can do 1,000 things with Polamalu that you simply can't do with a solid but unspectacular starter like Knight.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I'd rather take a playmaker first and look at lineman in the following rounds.

Shox
11-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2009, 07:39 PM
We are taking Cody from Alabama.

Shox
11-08-2009, 07:41 PM
The Oline is by far the worst unit on the team and they make all of skill guys on offense look worse.

Draft a LT and and you make two spots on the Oline better. Albert gets to move to RT and you have now upgraded two spots greatly. This make Cassell, Bowe, RB everybody better on the offense.

The is far from a great NFL defense, but if our offense could get a few 1st downs the other team would not get nearly as many shots.

Getting a stud LT makes 2 Oline positions better, helps the skill guys and should help the defense. No other draft pick can do this for the Chiefs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
11-08-2009, 07:45 PM
I hate our offensive line obsessed fan base.

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Draft a LT and and you make two spots on the Oline better. Albert gets to move to RT and you have now upgraded two spots greatly. This make Cassell, Bowe, RB everybody better on the offense.

Since Albert is such a wonderful road grader type he would make such a great RT. :rolleyes:

TheGuardian
11-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I haven't read through all the replies here but it has to be safety. Even Shannon Sharpe said today "Mike Brown, touchdown......Mike Brown, touchdown....there is a pattern here."

And it's true. Every long play I can remember this year was due to Mike Brown getting abused somehow.

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I haven't read through all the replies here but it has to be safety. Even Shannon Sharpe said today "Mike Brown, touchdown......Mike Brown, touchdown....there is a pattern here."

And it's true. Every long play I can remember this year was due to Mike Brown getting abused somehow.

Every single one of the big plays this year was bc of a missed tackle by Brown or getting flat out beat.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I think with this fan base the Chiefs could literally draft a lineman first every year and people would call it great.

I don't understand why people desire to rebuild a team that never won anything.

Mr. Laz
11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
The biggest impact player they can get ... i'm not picky about the position.

he better bring IMPACT to the game though!!

i'll leave now this thread now so the Berry cumfest(that i'm sure is happening) can continue.

TheGuardian
11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
I went back and read it. And I find myself agreeing with Mecca again many times on the same day. I expect the apocalypse any minute.

You flat out do not need to take offensive linemen early to build a good line. Second, we flat out HAVE to address the line in free agency. I don't really want to address the line through the draft until after the 1st round.

Mike Brown is killing the defense all by himself. Morgan didn't embarrass himself today and I'm interested to see if his play improves throughout the season.

TheGuardian
11-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Every single one of the big plays this year was bc of a missed tackle by Brown or getting flat out beat.

Exactly. I can think of two games we lost due to Brown all by himself.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-08-2009, 07:52 PM
I went back and read it. And I find myself agreeing with Mecca again many times on the same day. I expect the apocalypse any minute.

You flat out do not need to take offensive linemen early to build a good line. Second, we flat out HAVE to address the line in free agency. I don't really want to address the line through the draft until after the 1st round.

Mike Brown is killing the defense all by himself. Morgan didn't embarrass himself today and I'm interested to see if his play improves throughout the season.

I don't know how you couldn't be optimistic about Morgan's play today. He didn't have any Ed Reed-type plays, but he did his job, and did it well.

Give the guy time to mature (he's got loads of raw talent) and you may end up with a hell of a player.

milkman
11-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I think with this fan base the Chiefs could literally draft a lineman first every year and people would call it great.

I don't understand why people desire to rebuild a team that never won anything.

Because, in spite of the fact that this team hasn't won a damn thing since before Nixon was impeached, they think that the 90s and the years under Dick were some special years.

The fact is, they were mediocre teams with outstanding O-lines, but when it came time to play with the big boys, the big boys great playmakers and we had great O-Lines.

Great O-Lines win a lot of games.

Great playmakers win championships.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Which means I fully expect Morgan to be sitting on the bench next week while McGraw and Brown play.

Shox
11-08-2009, 07:54 PM

You can get any postion at any point in the draft. Look at Colston undrafted WR. The farther down the draft the high chance of getting a miss. We need on LT that can play from day 1 not grow into the position.

LT for reasons already stated is the only choice to make.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Exactly. I can think of two games we lost due to Brown all by himself.

Dallas and Oakland

Mecca
Because, in spite of the fact that this team hasn't won a damn thing since before Nixon was impeached, they think that the 90s and the years under Dick were some special years.

The fact is, they were mediocre teams with outstanding O-lines, but when it came time to play with the big boys, the big boys great playmakers and we had great O-Lines.

This post reminds me of the Chiefs/Dallas Thanksgiving game where they showed Marty saying his team was deeper yadda yadda then the Cowboys playmakers proceeded to whip our asses.

TheGuardian
You can get any postion at any point in the draft. Look at Colston undrafted WR. The farther down the draft the high chance of getting a miss. We need on LT that can play from day 1 not grow into the position.

Posted via Mobile Device

Colston was a 7th rounder.

We don't need to take a left tackle. OMG that would be epic failure. Albert will be fine. He's having a rough year this year. He'll be fine. Jake long is struggling as did Joe Thomas his 2nd year. It's not uncommon.

People thinking we need to take a left tackle in the first round need to take the bag off of their head.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Colston was a 7th rounder.

We don't need to take a left tackle. OMG that would be epic failure. Albert will be fine. He's having a rough year this year. He'll be fine. Jake long is struggling as did Joe Thomas his 2nd year. It's not uncommon.

People thinking we need to take a left tackle in the first round need to take the bag off of their head.

Not to mention there isn't an elite LT prospect...Russell Okung really? Anyone that watches him and thinks he's an elite prospect well I don't know what they're looking at.

milkman

Posted via Mobile Device

So let's take Russel Okung, who by the way is slow of foot, and only looks like a first round pick because he plays in a spread and doesn't have to hold blocks.

I can't even begin to say how awkward and slow he looked against Texaz, falling on his ass more than a couple of times when he missed blocks cause he was to slow to get a body on a quick Texas defender.

Shox
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2009, 07:58 PM
So let's take Russel Okung, who by the way is slow of foot, and only looks like a first round pick because he plays in a spread and doesn't have to hold blocks.

I can't even begin to say how awkward and slow he looked against Texaz, falling on his ass more than a couple of times when he missed blocks cause he was to slow to get a body on a quick Texas defender.

Heck freaking MU made Okung look bad.

Shox
11-08-2009, 08:00 PM

I never said Okung. I'm assuming a LT with a high 1st round grade is available. If there not a LT worth of a high 1st round then no, take another position.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:02 PM
I never said Okung. I'm assuming a LT with a high 1st round grade is available. If there not a LT worth of a high 1st round then no, take another position.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea there's not I pointed it out earlier in the thread...

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

He is the #1 LT prospect and you wanted to draft a LT.

milkman
11-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Okung is/is going to be the highest rated LT in this draft.

He wouldn't even be among the top 3 or 4 in the last draft.

jspchief
11-08-2009, 08:04 PM
we can get oline later in the draft or FAWhich explains why there are so many teams with horrible O-lines

RedThat
11-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I hate our offensive line obsessed fan base.

I LOVE OFFENSIVE LINEMAN! I ****N LOVE EM!:D

I remember the days when I would watch Roaf and Shields drive guys into the ground, I used to have a boner that would go past the ceiling.

Ahh...There not sexy picks, I'll admit..But I think I do love lineman though. They're the blue collared guys who make the difference. The lunch pail bucket guys who love to get dirty. How can one not love that? It's no coincedence why the offense was so effective in the past when we had Shields, Roaf, Tait, Waters, and Wiegmann. Guys who can actually block compared to the scrubs we have today. Guys who played with a mean streak and got nasty and kick the sh*t out of people. Yeeeeahhhh baby! That's what Im talking about and those are the type of players I want on this team.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I LOVE OFFENSIVE LINEMAN! I ****N LOVE EM!:D

I remember the days when I would watch Roaf and Shields drive guys into the ground, I used to have a boner that would go past the ceiling.

Ahh...There not sexy picks, I'll admit..But I think I do love lineman though. They're the blue collared guys who make the difference. The lunch pail bucket guys who love to get dirty. How can one not love that? It's no coincedence why the offense was so effective in the past when we had Shields, Roaf, Tait, Waters, and Wiegmann. Guys who can actually block compared to the scrubs we have today. Guys who played with a mean streak and got nasty and kick the sh*t out of people. Yeeeeahhhh baby! That's what Im talking about and those are the type of players I want on this team.

And those guys won us exactly nothing, good thing to aspire to.

Shox
11-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Peters just went down for the Eagles. Watch the Dallas D takeover this game. You win in the trenches and you have a chance. Yu can't win in the trenches you have no chance.

1st play LT does not lineup right and gets a penalty.
Posted via Mobile Device

luv
11-08-2009, 08:07 PM

Well, I think we need to start with trying for a winning record. If we can get good offensive linemen later in the draft, then so be it.

How deep into the draft do you go before you stop picking the BPA and get a few people you "need"?

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2009, 08:08 PM
The Oline is by far the worst unit on the team and they make all of skill guys on offense look worse.

The is far from a great NFL defense, but if our offense could get a few 1st downs the other team would not get nearly as many shots.

Getting a stud LT makes 2 Oline positions better, helps the skill guys and should help the defense. No other draft pick can do this for the Chiefs.
Posted via Mobile Device

If Albert still has potential to be a good Left Tackle, then you wasted a 5th round pick on a guard.

And I think less than a handful of Guards in history have been drafted in the top 20.

How about this. You draft the top Guard in the draft in the second round. You let Albert keep improving. And guess what, you got better at two positions, and you didn't waste your first round pick? Sounds like a plan to me.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Well, I think we need to start with trying for a winning record. If we can get good offensive linemen later in the draft, then so be it.

How deep into the draft do you go before you stop picking the BPA and getting a few people you "need"?

But when you are this bad this is when you have a chance to draft the premier playmakers.

jspchief
11-08-2009, 08:09 PM
And those guys won us exactly nothing, good thing to aspire to.Those guys made average RBs and QBs look like pro bowlers, and had nothing to do with the shortcomings of their team.

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2009, 08:10 PM
How deep into the draft do you go before you stop picking the BPA and get a few people you "need"?

Free agency is for need, draft isnt.

jspchief
11-08-2009, 08:10 PM
But when you are this bad this is when you have a chance to draft the premier playmakers.Like tyrone jackson or whoever the hell we took last year

Shox
11-08-2009, 08:11 PM
But when you are this bad this is when you have a chance to draft the premier playmakers.

Premier playmakers are worthless if you can't block the other guys. Lot's of playmakers come from middle and late round picks.
Posted via Mobile Device

luv

Who will do what without a line to guard a QB who needs forever to throw a friggen pass? Playmakers can't make plays with our QB laying on his back.

chiefzilla1501

How deep into the draft do you go before you stop picking the BPA and getting a few people you "need"?

If you're talking a mid- to late-first round pick, then I can understand having some "need" factored in. And I agree that you don't draft a BPA pick in the top 5 if he plays a position you're already set at (you don't draft Matt Stafford if your #1 QB is Matt Ryan).

But the top 5-10 is a spot where you can get a surefire playmaker. If you have a shot at a clearcut playmaker at a position where you're not set with franchise-calibre talent, you never pass up on that.

Mecca
Those guys made average RBs and QBs look like pro bowlers, and had nothing to do with the shortcomings of their team.

How about we get some playmakers and aspire to have a good line...I think I'd rather have Eric Berry and an offensive lineman in the 2nd or 3rd round than going with one with a top 10 pick.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Who will do what without a line to guard a QB who needs forever to throw a friggen pass? Playmakers can't make plays with our QB laying on his back.

Seeing as the playmaker I'm looking at plays safety I don't think the QB matters to him.

RedThat
11-08-2009, 08:12 PM
And those guys won us exactly nothing, good thing to aspire to.

And why didnt the Chiefs win those years?

luv
11-08-2009, 08:13 PM

Again, not saying first round, but somewhere in the draft, we really need to pick up something. Fill in the rest with FA.

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2009, 08:13 PM
We got our damn FIRST ROUND fucking Left tackle we dont need another one. Damn people get this in your damn fucking little fucking heads. We need guards and a right tackle, which you dont take in the fucking top 5 were we will be picking.

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Premier playmakers are worthless if you can't block the other guys. Lot's of playmakers come from middle and late round picks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dude, you are KIDDING me.

It is a LOT harder to find a playmaker in later rounds than it is to find solid starters in later rounds. EXPONENTIALLY tougher.

Justin Blalock is probably one of the best Guards to enter the draft over the last few years. He's playing outstanding Guard over in Atlanta. Guess when he was picked? 2nd round, #39.

Why do people not see that you can pick up the best Guards and Centers with our three 2nd and 3rd round picks without blowing a pick in the top 5?

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm probably going to sound like a dick when I say this but frankly, this team has 1 offensive player worth a damn.

I'm not passing on Eric Berry to protect Matt Cassel because frankly, I think Cassel is a bum.

jspchief
11-08-2009, 08:19 PM
You know Mecca, you talk a lot about draft value, I'm surprised you consider a safety to be worthy of a top 5 pick.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of too many top 5 safeties. Taylor maybe? and he didn't really live up to the pick.

Shox
11-08-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm probably going to sound like a dick when I say this but frankly, this team has 1 offensive player worth a damn.

I'm not passing on Eric Berry to protect Matt Cassel because frankly, I think Cassel is a bum.

Well it seems like the people who get paid to figure out the best people to draft clearly disagree with you. In the past 10 drafts there has been a OT taken in the first 5 picks in every draft except 2. 3 times 2 OT went in the top 5. Only 1 S has gone in the top 5 a the 5th pick. Only a few times has one gone in the top 15.

You must be smarter than the NFL draft experts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:21 PM
You know Mecca, you talk a lot about draft value, I'm surprised you consider a safety to be worthy of a top 5 pick.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of too many top 5 safeties. Taylor maybe? and he didn't really live up to the pick.

There's been a few, Eric Turner went 2nd.

Value matters to an extent but you make exceptions for rare players. Eric Berry looks like Ed Reed, Taylor Mays is a physical freak, you don't see guys like this often they are rare rare players.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Well it seems like the people who get paid to figure out the best people to draft clearly disagree with you. In the past 10 drafts there has been a OT taken in the first 5 picks in every draft except 2. 3 times 2 OT went in the top 5. Only 1 S has gone in the top 5 a the 5th pick. Only a few times has one gone in the top 15.

You must be smarter than the NFL draft experts.
Posted via Mobile Device

And show me how many of the best teams in the league have a bunch of high draft picks on their offensive line...

CanadaKC
11-08-2009, 08:23 PM
My guess is Pioli trades Dorsey for a pick....hence 2 first rounders...if I were a betting man....Berry if he's there....Bryant if he's not...not sure what we'd pick with the other 1st rounder....

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:24 PM
My guess is Pioli trades Dorsey for a pick....hence 2 first rounders...if I were a betting man....Berry if he's there....Bryant if he's not...not sure what we'd pick with the other 1st rounder....

I think Bryant is a bit overrated.

Shox
11-08-2009, 08:24 PM
And show me how many of the best teams in the league have a bunch of high draft picks on their offensive line...

A hell of lot more than have a top 5 safety.
Posted via Mobile Device

luv
11-08-2009, 08:25 PM
So, it seems we need to take the BPA with the first round pick. So the question becomes who do you think the best player available will be?

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I think Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed are more valuable to their teams than any of their lineman....

Shox
11-08-2009, 08:27 PM
I think Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed are more valuable to their teams than any of their lineman....

...and which one of those guys was taken in the top 5 pick.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
11-08-2009, 08:27 PM

Heh-heh.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:28 PM
...and which one of those guys was taken in the top 5 pick.
Posted via Mobile Device

They have made the position be worth that much if they are that good, is the entire point here.

When you think you see a guy who can be that you take him, even if it's top 5.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:29 PM
So, it seems we need to take the BPA with the first round pick. So the question becomes who do you think the best player available will be?

Probably this guy...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_r8q8aYIyFc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_r8q8aYIyFc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Shox
11-08-2009, 08:30 PM
not when you have the glaring needs the of Chiefs
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
11-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Other than Michael Huff, the top-five safeties have generally been solid. It's funny, though, that the best safeties in the past decade or so have been taken in the middle to mid-late first round: Reed, Polamalu, etc.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Other than Michael Huff, the top-five safeties have generally been solid. It's funny, though, that the best safeties in the past decade or so have been taken in the middle to mid-late first round: Reed, Polamalu, etc.

Their play has upped the value of the position.

These are the best players, there's no need to reach for a shitty OT, there are no rushbackers.

You take the elite safety.

Shox
11-08-2009, 08:33 PM

Both Reed and Polamalu have great talent around them which is one of the reasons it makes them great players. What do the Ravens and Steelers have in common. Great LBs and a great pass rush...........two things the Chiefs do not have.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Considering we have lost two games bc of our piss poor safety I say its a pretty glaring need.

jspchief
11-08-2009, 08:34 PM
I think Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed are more valuable to their teams than any of their lineman....In other years you'd be using those guys as examples as how we were reaching. Kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Not that I'm opposed to having a great safety. I'm just opposed to hypocrites.

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

And Safety is arguably the #1 glaring need. You need to watch how Mike Brown played today and all season.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:35 PM
In other years you'd be using those guys as examples as how we were reaching. Kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth.

I don't argue against guys who are playmakers...who else is there for us to pick?

These are our options, elite safety, OT who isn't worth the pick, there are no rushbackers, another defensive lineman?

Eric Berry is looking like the option.

Shox
11-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Considering we have lost two games bc of our piss poor safety I say its a pretty glaring need.

Oh I agree Brown is horrible, we should have never got rid of Pollard. But, it does not justify take a safety with a top 5 pick. We have way to many needs above safety......Oline, LBs, RB, WR.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Oh I agree Brown is horrible, we should have never got rid of Pollard. But, it does not justify take a safety with a top 5 pick. We have way to many needs above safety......Oline, LBs, RB, WR.
Posted via Mobile Device

You need to go study the value of next years draft to realize why those guys aren't worth the picks..

And you should never ever take a RB high that is the dime a dozen position.

notorious
11-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Both Reed and Polamalu have great talent around them which is one of the reasons it makes them great players. What do the Ravens and Steelers have in common. Great LBs and a great pass rush...........two things the Chiefs do not have.
Posted via Mobile Device

Outstanding point.

When you can get pressure on the QB it frees up the safety to do whatever he want to.

If we had a free roaming safety, well it would be about the same as having Mike Brown back there.

It would help, but I wouldn't expect amazing things until the front 7 started playing well.

Shox
You need to go study the value of next years draft to realize why those guys aren't worth the picks..

And you should never ever take a RB high that is the dime a dozen position.

I never said to take a RB, but RB is a bigger need than safety imo.
Posted via Mobile Device

RedThat
i think the chiefs need to focus on rebuilding the foundation of their football team. Get some offensive lineman and passrushers and you'll see how better they'll be. Im telling you. If you add a passrusher you'd be surprised how a position like that could mask other weaknesses on the team. If you have Olineman that could block you could open up the offense more, and do more on offense. Your offense is more flexible and less limited.

they have no foundation and its really bad. you know you can talk about safety play all you want and the best safety prospects, whatever, but if this is our foundation going into next season, were screwed i dont care who you throw back there at safety. Even if you throw Polamalu or Reed this team would still be screwed.

chiefzilla1501
Posted via Mobile Device

Watch a Ravens or Steelers game before spouting this shit off.

Seriously, watch the Pittsburgh game tomorrow. The Steelers looked very shaky on defense without him earlier this season. Surprise, surprise--he comes back and they look dominant again.

But seriously. Watch Polamalu. If you're too lazy, tivo the game and just watch defensive plays. The guy is all over the field. He's lined up as a corner. He's darting after the QB on lots of safety blitzes. He's blowing up screen passes. The Steelers can't do a lot of the same things on defense when he's not there. He's a clear difference maker. Anyone who says otherwise is a COMPLETE idiot.

luv
Posted via Mobile Device

Eh. He may be doing good in Houston, but he left a lot to be desired for us.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:40 PM
If you don't want a safety with the pick I wanna hear who we should be taking because frankly what's there for us other than the safety?

Shox
11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Eh. He may be doing good in Houston, but he left a lot to be desired for us.

he is a 100 times better than Brown.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
The positions where we most need improvement:

1. Center
2. Strong safety (though maybe Morgan could step in)
3. Wide receiver
4. Outside linebacker
5. Right guard
6. Fullback
7. Left tackle (though maybe Albert can step up)
8. Inside linebacker

The positions where we most need a first-round investment:

1. Wide receiver
2. Outside linebacker
3. Left tackle (though maybe Albert can step up)
4. Inside linebacker
5. Center
6. Strong safety (though maybe Morgan could step in)

luv
11-08-2009, 08:42 PM
The positions where we most need improvement:

1. Center
2. Strong safety (though maybe Morgan could step in)
3. Wide receiver
4. Outside linebacker
5. Right guard
6. Fullback
7. Left tackle (though maybe Albert can step up)
8. Inside linebacker

The positions where we most need a first-round investment:

1. Wide receiver
2. Outside linebacker
3. Left tackle (though maybe Albert can step up)
4. Inside linebacker
5. Center
6. Strong safety (though maybe Morgan could step in)

No TE in there anywhere?

OnTheWarpath15
11-08-2009, 08:43 PM
If you don't want a safety with the pick I wanna hear who we should be taking because frankly what's there for us other than the safety?

I fully expect us to trade a 2nd round pick for a backup safety, eliminating all value of our Top 5 pick.

Mecca
That's funny since this is a shitty year for WR's and rushbackers in the first round...and OT's.

So see rainman that list has to change you can't go reaching for need.

chiefzilla1501
i think the chiefs need to focus on building the foundation of their football team. Get some offensive lineman and passrushers and you'll see how better they'll be. Im telling you. If you add a passrusher you'd be surprised how a position like that could mask other weaknesses on the team.

they have no foundation and its really bad. you know you can talk about safety play all you want and the best safety prospects, whatever, but if this is our foundation going into next season, were screwed i dont care who you throw back there at safety. Even if you throw Polamalu or Reed this team would still be screwed.

This team is not playing that badly on the defensive line. They're mostly holding their ground and giving RBs few lanes to run through.

The Chiefs are getting killed because they're giving up way too many big plays. And that's happening because our Safeties and LBs don't know their gap responsibilities and they take horrendous angles. In the San Diego game, Brown was responsible for almost all of Sproles' big runs. Watch Pittsburgh--you don't throw screens against them because Polamalu is running at the running back like a freight train 1-2 seconds before the QB even releases the ball.

And I disagree. Watch how many plays there are where our safety is 2-3 steps away from making the right play. Our safeties don't make plays. Plays come to them. Think of a single play this year where you saw the safety read the QB's eyes and break up a pass. Think of a single play wher eyou remember the safety getting after the QB on a safety blitz. Think of a single time this season when you remember the safety blowing up a screen play. Reed and Polamalu do those things all the time, 16 games a season.

You can build the foundation around solid players. But you need to have a few playmakers like Polamalu if you ever want to go places. And it's getting harder and harder and harder to find those guys in free agency these days.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I fhistory has any say on the situation, I fully expect us to trade a 2nd round pick for a backup safety, eliminating all value of our Top 5 pick.

Hello James Sanders...since Patrick Chung can step in and start with Merriweather..

If that really happens I won't be a fan of this team anymore.

Shox
11-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Watch a Ravens or Steelers game before spouting this shit off.

Seriously, watch the Pittsburgh game tomorrow. The Steelers looked very shaky on defense without him earlier this season. Surprise, surprise--he comes back and they look dominant again.

But seriously. Watch Polamalu. If you're too lazy, tivo the game and just watch defensive plays. The guy is all over the field. He's lined up as a corner. He's darting after the QB on lots of safety blitzes. He's blowing up screen passes. The Steelers can't do a lot of the same things on defense when he's not there. He's a clear difference maker. Anyone who says otherwise is a COMPLETE idiot.

Exactly my point!!!. They get to roam and freelance because they have a front seven who do their jobs. There whole defensive approach is for them to roam and make plays. The Chiefs are not even close to this kind of talent in the front 7, therefore you could put Polamalu or Reed in a Chief uniform and they would become slightly above average safties.

Football is a team sport and it all starts upfront.
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath15
11-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Hello James Sanders...since Patrick Chung can step in and start with Merriweather..

If that really happens I won't be a fan of this team anymore.

Sanders. Good call.

milkman
And why didnt the Chiefs win those years?

The better team to look at is the 90s Chiefs.

One of the top two or O-Lines in the league, a playmaker on D in DT, but not a single other playmaker on the offensive side of the ball, except in Montana's single playoff year with the Chiefs.

4th best record among teams in the 90s, yet bounced in the first round in the playofss, except again, in the Montana year.

They averaged about 11 points a game on those playoff games.

Why?

Not a single fucking playmaker.

The Dick Chiefs did have a playmaker in Priest.

Mecca
You don't get to pick the year the players happen to be available.

2 awesome safety prospects are in the draft this year, why would you pass on them to take a mediocre LB prospect?

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2009, 08:46 PM
I fully expect us to trade a 2nd round pick for a backup safety, eliminating all value of our Top 5 pick.

Then how are we going to pick Jordan Shipley to be Wes Welker.

WildTurkey
11-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Exactly my point!!!. They get to roam and freelance because they have a front seven who do their jobs. There whole defensive approach is for them to roam and make plays. The Chiefs are not even close to this kind of talent in the front 7, therefore you could put Polamalu or Reed in a Chief uniform and they would become slightly above average safties.

Posted via Mobile Device

I disagree they make plays because they very very talented..... you add playmakers regardless of position... this upcoming year the best playmaking talent early in the first is at the safety position

Shox
11-08-2009, 08:47 PM
The better team to look at is the 90s Chiefs.

One of the top two or O-Lines in the league, a playmaker on D in DT, but not a single other playmaker on the offensive side of the ball, except in Montana's single playoff year with the Chiefs.

4th best record among teams in the 90s, yet bounced in the first round in the playofss, except again, in the Montana year.

They averaged about 11 points a game on those playoff games.

Why?

Not a single fucking playmaker.

The Dick Chiefs did have a playmaker in Priest.

But at least they made the playoffs because of that Oline......you win up front you have a chance, you lose up front and all the playmakers in the world is not going to help.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2009, 08:48 PM
You don't get to pick the year the players happen to be available.

2 awesome safety prospects are in the draft this year, why would you pass on them to take a mediocre LB prospect?

Like last year with the QBs.

Rain Man
No TE in there anywhere?

Oh. Yeah. I should've had TE in there. And HB.

My god. It would have been easier to make a list of positions we don't need.

Mecca
"Atleast they made the playoffs"

The battle cry of a loser fan.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Look I'm a huge CJ Spiller fan but I'm not going to pimp him to be the Chiefs pick because it doesn't make sense.

Rain Man
That's funny since this is a shitty year for WR's and rushbackers in the first round...and OT's.

So see rainman that list has to change you can't go reaching for need.

As a clarification, my list had nothing to do with the talent of this year's draft class. I'm just talking about the Chiefs' needs.

Shox
I disagree they make plays because they very very talented..... you add playmakers regardless of position... this upcoming year the best playmaking talent early in the first is at the safety position

Well I'm done trying beat a dead horse. History says no at a top 5 safety. Happened only once in the past ten years. I would bet big money the Chiefs don't take a safety in the top 5 pick either.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Oh. Yeah. I should've had TE in there. And HB.

My god. It would have been easier to make a list of positions we don't need.

DE
K
P
LT
QB

WildTurkey
But at least they made the playoffs because of that Oline......you win up front you have a chance, you lose up front and all the playmakers in the world is not going to help.
Posted via Mobile Device

but you need playmakers to win in the playoffs... the best lines in the world aren't going to win games on their own....... you have to have someone who can make the big play when the game is on the line....

chiefzilla1501
In other years you'd be using those guys as examples as how we were reaching. Kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth.

That kind of rare safety is a different instance. Few safeties are so universally touted that they end up on the top 5-10 of nearly every mock draft board. I guarantee you Berry is one of those guys and nobody is going to second-guess any team that takes him early.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Well I'm done trying beat a dead horse. History says no at a top 5 safety. Happened only once in the past ten years. I would bet big money the Chiefs don't take a safety in the top 5 pick either.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's why our team is dumb and can't ever win anything.

milkman
11-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

There's no question that LT is a top 5 pick position......when the talent is there.

There isn't a LT in this draft worth a top 5.

There might be a team with the need to reach for a lesser talented Okung in this draft in the top 5, but he's not even close to the talent that the top LTs in the draft last year were.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:52 PM
The only way Berry doesn't go in the first 7 picks is if he's smaller than his list height of 5'10 that's the only way.

WildTurkey
11-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

with the way the NFL is today, with the high emphasis on the passing game and the big play offenses... this year the NFL is on record pace for the most TD's on plays of 50 yds or more... so IMO the value of a playmaking safety has increased by leaps and bounds

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm also really tired of fans who want a "hard working tough guy team" that has no playmakers or big name stars.

Get over it, you need playmakers to win you need superstars.

tk13
11-08-2009, 08:55 PM
The real trick with all this is what happens if we pick 1. Or even 2.. or 3. I don't think a safety has ever been taken that high. Certainly very, very rare.

ChiefsCountry
11-08-2009, 08:56 PM
The real trick with all this is what happens if we pick 1. Or even 2.. or 3. I don't think a safety has ever been taken that high. Certainly very, very rare.

Belichick took Eric Turner #2 overall in Cleveland.

Mecca

Eric Turner went 2nd overall.

I'd take Berry 1st overall, he's that good.

chiefzilla1501

Posted via Mobile Device

Dude, these guys are not roaming or freelancing. They are never, ever out of position. They move around as much as they do because they can see the play better than anyone on the field.

Many consider the Strong Safety to be the QB of the defense. Again, watch the Steelers game tomorrow. Seriously.

And if you can, compare that with the tape from the first few games when they didn't have Polamalu. The Steelers' defense looked the most vulnerable it's looked in 5 years.

No one's saying Polamalu could turn this defense around by himself. But by the way, funny that you seem to think he couldn't have affected the last 2 games, given that Mike Brown is responsible for at least 75% of the many costly big plays we gave up against Jacksonville and San Diego. On defense, he was easily the biggest liability in both of those games and his mistakes led to 50+ yard big plays.

WildTurkey
11-08-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm also really tired of fans who want a "hard working tough guy team" that has no playmakers or big name stars.

Get over it, you need playmakers to win you need superstars.

this..... although when you're a fan of a team who's best playmaker was the TE for years and years it's kind of hard to grasp that concept

Mecca
11-08-2009, 08:58 PM
this..... although when you're a fan of a team who's best playmaker was the TE for years and years it's kind of hard to grasp that concept

Yea, I don't care that it's KC and we're blue collar and hard working and all that bullshit, I want a team that's going to win something.

The Bad Guy
11-08-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm also tired of this history says shit when talking about taking a safety in the top 5.

I don't give a shit what history says.

You take the biggest difference maker. That player is Eric Berry.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 09:00 PM
If we hadn't switched to 3-4 you could make arguments for Suh and Dunlap but since we did Berry becomes the only option.

Rain Man
11-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Belichick took Eric Turner #2 overall in Cleveland.

But then he died. And then the Redskins took Sean Taylor at 5. And then HE died. Can't you people see the pattern?

tk13
11-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah that's one guy in the last 20 or so years. Although I think Berry might very well be the most talented guy out there. It's funny because last year everybody argued against Curry because you don't take a MLB that high. Well you don't take a lot of safeties that high either. Reed and Polamalu were mid to late 1st round. But you gotta deal with what's on the board. But there's a long way to go to have these arguments. This team needs a playmaking safety, a true pass rusher, and a true NT to be a real 3-4 team.

TheGuardian
11-08-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't know how you couldn't be optimistic about Morgan's play today. He didn't have any Ed Reed-type plays, but he did his job, and did it well.

Give the guy time to mature (he's got loads of raw talent) and you may end up with a hell of a player.

Now Hamas and I are agreeing. I should buy a lotto ticket this week. But I agree, I watched him closely and he def did not embarrass himself today and as you noted, while didn't make any Ed Reed type plays looked pretty solid.

Seriously, why don't some of you who think we need to go o-line in round 1 take a look at some of the best lines in the league and tell me where their interior guys were taken?

Albert will be fine at left tackle. When he learns how to use his hands properly and gets used to his current weight his play will improve. Second, if we don't address some of the line in FA it won't matter anyway. A line full of rookies will get its nuts kicked in all season. You can't field an offensive line with Albert and a bunch of rookies and expect anything except disaster. It's retarded.

The entire right side needs to be replaced and look for a Waters replacement in the draft. But we should be replacing C to Right tackle with free agents who are coming into their prime IMO. They don't have to be all-pros just upgrades.

Mecca
11-08-2009, 09:03 PM
I'd argue for a pass rusher...but the only pass rusher worth the pick is Dunlap and he isn't a 3-4 guy.

WildTurkey
11-08-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm also tired of this history says shit when talking about taking a safety in the top 5.

I don't give a shit what history says.

You take the biggest difference maker. That player is Eric Berry.

exactly..... to pass on a rare talent like that is inexcusable...

WildTurkey
11-08-2009, 09:05 PM
I'd argue for a pass rusher...but the only pass rusher worth the pick is Dunlap and he isn't a 3-4 guy.

Dunlap and the Safeties are the truly elite prospects... I would say WR but I'm not sure Bryant is all that great

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Yeah that's one guy in the last 20 or so years. Although I think Berry might very well be the most talented guy out there. It's funny because last year everybody argued against Curry because you don't take a MLB that high. Well you don't take a lot of safeties that high either. Reed and Polamalu were mid to late 1st round. But you gotta deal with what's on the board. But there's a long way to go to have these arguments. This team needs a playmaking safety, a true pass rusher, and a true NT to be a real 3-4 team.

No, no. Entirely different arguments.

The argument against Curry is that 3-4 ILBs are not playmakers and they're much more one-dimensional than 4-3 MLBs. And besides, you're talking about an OLB, not a MLB. While 4-3 OLBs are more important than 3-4 ILBs, that's still a position that doesn't have a lot of "difference making capability."

milkman
11-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Their play has upped the value of the position.

These are the best players, there's no need to reach for a shitty OT, there are no rushbackers.

You take the elite safety.

The other thing that has increased the value of the safety position is the evolution of the passing game, fueled by the rules changes.

RippedmyFlesh
11-08-2009, 09:24 PM
The other thing that has increased the value of the safety position is the evolution of the passing game, fueled by the rules changes.
Beuerlein was saying during the game today how safety is becoming an important position because of the way the game is played today. A few years ago I never would have thought a safety for a pick as high as we will be picking but a great safety IS a game changer worth the high pick.

BossChief
11-08-2009, 09:54 PM
I used to be on the Suh train, but have gotten off and am firmly on the Berry wagon after todays game and all games leading up to it.

He gives us great value and fits an immediate position of need.

If we had Berry this year we might have won three games by now. Maybe more.

If there is no CBA agreement, this draft may have 15 or so guys that fall to the second round because of so many sophmores declaring because it may be the last chance at a big payday.

I would literally go BPA with the next two picks if this is the case because it may be our last chance, for awhile anyway, to get some elite guys added to our roster that are that young. We could walk out of the draft with three first round talents in any other draft.

Every round should have great value because of this and we should be able to fix the oline in FA and the middle rounds.

I just hope we dont shit the bed from the third round on again.

Chiefs=Champions
11-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Wtf. thats a great theory and all but how do we improve these areas with our top 5 pick when there is know one worth drafting.... :shake:

BossChief
11-08-2009, 09:59 PM
We could walk away from the first day of draft weekend with

Berry
Cody
and an elite receiver/olinemen

then still have the whole third round on to fill other holes

BossChief
11-08-2009, 10:03 PM

this

very good thread btw

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Beuerlein was saying during the game today how safety is becoming an important position because of the way the game is played today. A few years ago I never would have thought a safety for a pick as high as we will be picking but a great safety IS a game changer worth the high pick.

Especially true in a 3-4

milkman
11-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Bob Sanders is s difference maker for the Colts, when he gets on th field, and the Colts have neither a great D-Line or great LBs.

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2009, 10:11 PM

Lots of things have changed. The best QBs have become so good at getting rid of the ball that they've been able to neutralize pass rushes. That's a very small contributor. A very, very big contributor has been the evolution of spread-out offensive sets. Shutdown corners used to be held at a premium when you had 1 or 2 major receiving targets. Look at New England--their #3 target is just as dangerous as their #1 target. And that spread out offense has really opened up a lot of the underneath stuff, particularly to RBs.

If you can't get to the QB quickly enough and you can't have 3 to 4 shutdown corners, then your best bet is to bring in a guy that can sniff plays out. That's your safety.

TRR
11-08-2009, 10:12 PM
In my opinion the O Line holes need to be filled in Free Agency. I'd keep Albert at LT and Waters at LG for the time being, and sign a FA Center, RG, and RT.

I would draft a playmaking Safety with the first pick, and fill in with O Line depth early and often. I would also look for a playmaking WR, TE, or RB that may have slipped with the 2nd or 3rd round pick(s).

The most important part is solidifing the O Line E A R L Y. There can't be hardly any guess work surrounding the O Line going into the draft.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
11-08-2009, 10:14 PM
In my opinion the O Line holes need to be filled in Free Agency. I'd keep Albert at LT and Waters at LG for the time being, and sign a FA Center, RG, and RT.

I would draft a playmaking Safety with the first pick, and fill in with O Line depth early and often. I would also look for a playmaking WR, TE, or RB that may have slipped with the 2nd or 3rd round pick(s).

The most important part is solidifing the O Line E A R L Y. There can't be hardly any guess work surrounding the O Line going into the draft.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree with you, except that the free agents will probably be a lot more like MIke Goff than Steve Hutchinson. A LOT more.

The Chiefs absolutely must draft some o-linemen. But it better not come in the top 5.

milkman
11-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Bull.

Not once during Marty's years did I ever think we had a chance of advancing to the SB.

Scoring an average of 11 points in the playoffs in those years, other than '93, is clear evidence we never had a chance.

We were pretenders.

We were diving a '68 Ford pick up in the Indy 500.

milkman
11-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Oh, and the Steelers won a SB with a crappy O-Line last year.

Why?

They had playmakers at QB, WR, and safety.

milkman
11-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

And no one would bet against you, because Pioli hasn't shown he knows how to build a team.

TRR
11-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I agree with you, except that the free agents will probably be a lot more like MIke Goff than Steve Hutchinson. A LOT more.

The Chiefs absolutely must draft some o-linemen. But it better not come in the top 5.

Looking over the potential O Line FA's, there are some players to be had. Even if you have to overspend, I think you have to fill two of the three O Line positions (C, RG, RT) via FA.

The O Line needs to be completely set by training camp. This season was doomed from the beginning as not even the coaching staff was sure who would start at RT, and kept shuffling the line throughout the Preseason.

Get your 5 starters, and build some consistency early.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Laz
11-08-2009, 10:23 PM
A safety is at his best when he is smart,athletic and is in a defense that is good enough to let him free lance alot.

BossChief
11-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Bull.

Not once during Marty's years did I ever think we had a chance of advancing to the SB.

Scoring an average of 11 points in the playoffs in those years, other than '93, is clear evidence we never had a chance.

We were pretenders.

We were diving a '68 Ford pick up in the Indy 500.

I felt we had a chance during the time Joe was here. That's it for me.

milkman

Those of us arguing for a safety in this draft, and against Curry in the last draft, see the safeties as rare special talents, while Curry is not.

Chiefs=Champions
Interesting tid bit. Guess who was a scout for the Browns when Eric Turner was drafted?

Thats right Scott Pioli... hmmm :hmmm:

milkman
11-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I felt we had a chance during the time Joe was here. That's it for me.

I thought trading for Montana was a mistake, because he was injury prone at that point in his career, and because he was a short term solution for a long term problem.

As it turned out, I was right about his injury problems.

He failed to finish the Buffalo game due to injury, and he couldn't stay on the field the following year.

He almost overcame the odds, though.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Man, we've got some consensus among posters this year. Looks like almost everyone's head is where it needs to be.
Now THAT is something to be proud of as a fan base.

BossChief
11-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Interesting tid bit. Guess who was a scout for the Browns when Eric Turner was drafted?

Thats right Scot Pioli... :hmm:

he went to my HS, Ventura HS...Ventura, CA

He came back to our school every summer to work with us. My best friend was our starting safety and got to spend a lot more time than I did with him, but I got to spend a lot of time with him as well. His presence alone made me focus on the big picture. Unfortunatly, I was not in the same universe as him or most other players on the team as far as athleticism goes, but I was grateful for what I was able to learn about the game at such a young age.

Taken before his time.

I used to hate the Raiders back then and became a Chiefs fan pretty much to spite the cheating nature of the Raiders (and the fact Okoye was a total beast)...funny, I move to the midwest a few years later and who does he go play for? The ****ing Raiders! I was like, WTF???

Around the same time, the Lakers make moves to bring in Shaq and Kobe...I sure missed the boat in that one.:cuss:

BossChief
11-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I thought trading for Montana was a mistake, because he was injury prone at that point in his career, and because he was a short term solution for a long term problem.

He failed to finish the Buffalo game due to injury, and he couldn't stay on the field the following year.

Ill never forget the size of his elbow in his final game. It was like a freaking grapefruit growing on his arm.

Those were days well before my knowledge of trade value and such...just knew we got Montana.

man, that was sooooo long ago now!

Chiefs=Champions
11-08-2009, 10:43 PM
he went to my HS, Ventura HS...Ventura, CA

He came back to our school every summer to work with us. My best friend was our starting safety and got to spend a lot more time than I did with him, but I got to spend a lot of time with him as well. His presence alone made me focus on the big picture. Unfortunatly, I was not in the same universe as him or most other players on the team as far as athleticism goes, but I was grateful for what I was able to learn about the game at such a young age.

Taken before his time.

I used to hate the Raiders back then and became a Chiefs fan pretty much to spite the cheating nature of the Raiders (and the fact Okoye was a total beast)...funny, I move to the midwest a few years later and who does he go play for? The ****ing Raiders! I was like, WTF???

Nice story :thumb:! Hopefully the manner in which he presented himself on and of the field combined with the time Scott spent with him in Cleveland makes him want to get a similar player in Berry or Mays...

WildTurkey
11-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Oh, and the Steelers won a SB with a crappy O-Line last year.

Why?

They had playmakers at QB, WR, and safety.

:clap:

ChiefsCountry
11-09-2009, 01:47 AM

Montana being hurt in the regular season cost us not going to the Super Bowl. It cost us home field which we could have beaten Buffalo at Arrowhead but no way in hell at Rich Stadium.

Also we could have had Dana Stubblefield with that pick. DT and Stubblefield would have made that defensive truly elite.

Pioli Zombie
11-09-2009, 05:33 AM
So Dairy Queen has now compared the Steelers OL line to the Chiefs OL. Right. Uh-huh. And Joe Montana was a mistake. Simply brilliant. In the dictionary next to the word "Dumbass" there is a picture of Milkman.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pioli Zombie
11-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Montana being hurt in the regular season cost us not going to the Super Bowl. It cost us home field which we could have beaten Buffalo at Arrowhead but no way in hell at Rich Stadium.

Also we could have had Dana Stubblefield with that pick. DT and Stubblefield would have made that defensive truly elite.
And with that elite defense they would have had a shot at the Super Bowl with who at QB?
Posted via Mobile Device

eazyb81
11-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Berry has been and will continue to be my top choice, but I think it's funny that the Mays fans are trying to lump him in with Berry. Berry has shown he is a playmaker in the Reed/Polamalu mold and he has the cover skills to man up with most top WRs in the league. Mays is a freak athlete but hasn't shown anywhere near the playmaking skills that Berry has, and I haven't seen one prognosticator rank Mays ahead of Berry.

Berry is a top three pick, but I wouldn't be shocked if Mays doesn't get picked in the top ten. If his combine doesn't live up to the hype, it will hurt him.

Chiefs=Champions
11-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Berry has been and will continue to be my top choice, but I think it's funny that the Mays fans are trying to lump him in with Berry. Berry has shown he is a playmaker in the Reed/Polamalu mold and he has the cover skills to man up with most top WRs in the league. Mays is a freak athlete but hasn't shown anywhere near the playmaking skills that Berry has, and I haven't seen one prognosticator rank Mays ahead of Berry.

Berry is a top three pick, but I wouldn't be shocked if Mays doesn't get picked in the top ten. If his combine doesn't live up to the hype, it will hurt him.

The role that Mays plays in that defense should alone tell you how good he is and is cappable of being..

scho63
11-09-2009, 07:13 AM
1. OL- Ryan Clady clone
2. OL-Need more than one
3. WR- (deep threat with speed)
4. DB-tall, strong and can cover
5. Return Man- Percy Harvin Like!

eazyb81
11-09-2009, 07:15 AM
The role that Mays plays in that defense should alone tell you how good he is and is cappable of being..

Why? Does it really take a special player to sit back and make sure no one gets behind you? Sorry, I'm not buying, and NFL teams won't either which is why Berry will definitely get drafted ahead of Mays.

Chiefs=Champions
11-09-2009, 07:16 AM
1. OL- Ryan Clady clone
2. OL-Need more than one
3. WR- (deep threat with speed)
4. DB-tall, strong and can cover
5. Return Man- Percy Harvin Like!

6. Player who can play football well

Chiefs=Champions
11-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Why? Does it really take a special player to sit back and make sure no one gets behind you? Sorry, I'm not buying, and NFL teams won't either which is why Berry will definitely get drafted ahead of Mays.

By yourself it does. Not saying that Mays is better than Berry at all, but to say Mays is overrated and wont be drafted in the top 10 is imho not correct..

Mecca
11-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Taylor Mays role is very similar to what the Redskins ask of Laron Landry and he has very blah looking stats.

The role is not glamorous but is difficult to play.

Chiefs=Champions
11-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Taylor Mays role is very similar to what the Redskins ask of Laron Landry and he has very blah looking stats.

this. ive only watched a couple of usc games this year, but would never under value Mays...

eazyb81
11-09-2009, 07:35 AM

Yeah but Landry was a much bigger playmaker in college than Mays has been.

Look I'm not saying Mays is terrible or anything, but I am saying it's kind of dumb to say you want Berry or Mays, because one is pretty much guaranteed to be the highest drafted safety ever and the other is just a good, solid prospect that will get drafted more on his athleticism.

StcChief
11-09-2009, 07:45 AM
DL,OL,
but a FB or Kicker will likely be taken first.

Mecca
11-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Yeah but Landry was a much bigger playmaker in college than Mays has been.

Look I'm not saying Mays is terrible or anything, but I am saying it's kind of dumb to say you want Berry or Mays, because one is pretty much guaranteed to be the highest drafted safety ever and the other is just a good, solid prospect that will get drafted more on his athleticism.

Well Landry wasn't used that way in college, I mean the way Landry is used now.

I think Mays is a guy who has his best football in front of him, Berry is Berry what you see is what you get so obviously Mays is a bit more risky in projecting but I don't think either guy will bust.

The Bad Guy
11-09-2009, 07:48 AM

Did I miss something about Dana Stubblefield? I thought he was a decent player, but an elite one?

The Bad Guy
11-09-2009, 07:49 AM

I think Mays is a guy who has his best football in front of him, Berry is Berry what you see is what you get so obviously Mays is a bit more risky in projecting but I don't think either guy will bust.

Well when you are a stud with few flaws, I'll take the what you see is what you get over the guy who CAN be that good.

Chiefless
11-09-2009, 08:03 AM
I don't argue against guys who are playmakers...who else is there for us to pick?

These are our options, elite safety, OT who isn't worth the pick, there are no rushbackers, another defensive lineman?

Eric Berry is looking like the option.

I actually agree with this. The O-Line is the biggest need, but it sounds like there will not be any player in the top of the first who is worth the pick. Next position of need is the rush backer...ditto. We could go NT, but IIRC Suh is not a true NT. That leaves one of the safeties as the BPA at a position of need. And while I agree with the strategy that the lines need to be built first when you are drafting that high you better get a stud...not just a good player to plug into a hole.

So, mark me down for one of the safeties even tho I feel dirty saying it.

NY CHIEF
11-09-2009, 08:22 AM
DL,OL,
but a FB or Kicker will likely be taken first.

:cuss:

eazyb81
11-09-2009, 08:35 AM

Okay, but when "what you see is what you get" is one of the best safety prospects in history, you're going to take that and be happy.

I don't dislike Mays, I think he's a fine player. But I don't see him as a top 10 prospect, and I think it's questionable that so many on here lump him in with Berry.

ChiefsCountry
11-09-2009, 01:38 PM
And with that elite defense they would have had a shot at the Super Bowl with who at QB?
Posted via Mobile Device

They wouldn't had any, maybe a slim Baltimore Ravens of 2000 shot. Its sad when an old broke dick Montana gave us the best shot at a Super Bowl.

The Franchise
11-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Berry....hands down. Our safties are pretty much garbage at this point in time.

Coogs
11-09-2009, 01:51 PM
From GBN....

http://www.gbnreport.com/

Right now we are picking in the #2 position...

Bucs win vaults Rams to top of draft table... Tampa Bay, the NFL’s last remaining winless team, finally got off the schneid with a 38-28 win over Green Bay. And when the smoke had cleared from the late Sunday games, St. Louis would have the 1st pick overall were the 2010 draft held today, while Tampa Bay drops all the way down to #5. Meanwhile, Kansas City, Detroit and Cleveland would have the second through the 4th picks respectively, however, there is currently almost no statistical difference between the combined W-L records of the opponents of the latter three teams. As usual, the full, updated weekly draft selection order will be posted after Monday night’s game.

Chiefnj2
11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
1st round position KC needs the most - LT, maybe QB, pass rushing, OLB, safety, WR.

Will there be a top 5 talent available to fill that need? Who knows.

GloryDayz
11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Head coach.

Brock
11-09-2009, 02:55 PM
A pass rusher.

Sam Hall
11-09-2009, 03:07 PM
I like Walter Football's latest mock:

1. Eric Berry
2a. Jason Fox
2b. Evan Royster
3. Marty Gilyard

terrysheafanclub
11-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Trade down and get a OT and DE in the first round

BossChief
11-09-2009, 03:15 PM
I think Berry is the best choice basically because of public opinion/need. I have only seen him in a couple games and was impressed. He seems like a playmaker in the mold of a Ed Reed and that is undeniable. We also badly need a playmaking type of safety to round out our secondary to eliminate the weakest link.

If I am going off what I have seen, and truly saying BPA, I have to say SUH. I have seen a bunch of dlinemen over the years come and go and Suh is, by far I might add, the absolute best dlinemen I have seen in college. He reminds me of watching the greats like Bruce Smith and Reggie White, he really does. His shortness of lst name could make him a crowd favorite because I can already hear the 85,000 screaming fans yelling SUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I know it sounds silly, but that kinda stuff makes for crowd favorites. This would mean we would have to move Dorsey to the nose and use him more like a penetrator that a block occupier. If we have the correct staff in place on defense this could make our front three absolutly dominant and able to get pressure without blitzing as much. Suh WILL BE unblockable with one man once he gets up to speed in the NFL and coupled with Dorsey, that could be truly deadly in the playoffs in coming years.

That leaves me with a dilemma, is it truly BPA (IMO Suh) that I support, or do we go with BPA for need?

I am truly torn.

GordonGekko
11-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Trade down and get a OT and DE in the first round

Yea I am all for trading down as well and picking up additional picks. The Chiefs are noteworthy for having horrible drafts so the more picks we get the better our odds that one, maybe two might work out. No more LSU players, either. The offensive line needs addressing and it is up to the front office to either find the most effective way to address the issue, be it the draft or free agency. We need playmakers on D so I support trade down and take stud S or LB and then pretty much draft OL the rest of the draft unless someone of intrinsic value falls to one of our picks and is too much to pass up. Don't draft a WR in the first round either, as too many of them bust. We need to develop players, look at Austin in Dallas as an example, a guy that goes undrafted and completely changes the dynamic of a pretty decent offense, and thus the team. Kind of like Joe Horn when he was here...

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-09-2009, 03:16 PM
USE EVERY PICK ON O-LINE ELEVENTY!!!1111!!!!@

chiefs1111
11-09-2009, 03:21 PM
our first pick needs to be a play maker,a game changer. Not another reach

milkman
11-09-2009, 04:51 PM
They wouldn't had any, maybe a slim Baltimore Ravens of 2000 shot. Its sad when an old broke dick Montana gave us the best shot at a Super Bowl.

The trade for Montana, in and of itself, wasn't a mistake, so much as not ensuring we had a quility backup, with a future at the position, behind him.

And no, Dave Kreig was not that guy.

Had they made the trade for Montana, and signed Steve Buerlein (who was available) in free agency to back up and learn from the best, we would have been in far better shape moving forwaed.

DumbHillbillies
11-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I think Berry is the best choice basically because of public opinion/need. I have only seen him in a couple games and was impressed. He seems like a playmaker in the mold of a Ed Reed and that is undeniable. We also badly need a playmaking type of safety to round out our secondary to eliminate the weakest link.

If I am going off what I have seen, and truly saying BPA, I have to say SUH. I have seen a bunch of dlinemen over the years come and go and Suh is, by far I might add, the absolute best dlinemen I have seen in college. He reminds me of watching the greats like Bruce Smith and Reggie White, he really does. His shortness of lst name could make him a crowd favorite because I can already hear the 85,000 screaming fans yelling SUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I know it sounds silly, but that kinda stuff makes for crowd favorites. This would mean we would have to move Dorsey to the nose and use him more like a penetrator that a block occupier. If we have the correct staff in place on defense this could make our front three absolutly dominant and able to get pressure without blitzing as much. Suh WILL BE unblockable with one man once he gets up to speed in the NFL and coupled with Dorsey, that could be truly deadly in the playoffs in coming years.

That leaves me with a dilemma, is it truly BPA (IMO Suh) that I support, or do we go with BPA for need?

I am truly torn.

Like the ideal of suh but can't see dorsey at nose under any circumstances. Actually, pioli can't go wrong this year we need everything.

The Bad Guy
11-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Like the ideal of suh but can't see dorsey at nose under any circumstances. Actually, pioli can't go wrong this year we need everything.

He must certainly can.

He can take Okung and then I'll freak out.

DaKernal
11-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Question(unless it's already been asked): Who do we take if we end up with the #1 overall pick

BossChief
11-09-2009, 06:11 PM
He must certainly can.

He can take Okung and then I'll freak out.

why you have to go say that shit? Now you know jwhit is gonna go clue in Pioli as to how to piss off the fan base further and "thow shall be done"

THE DEAL IS DONE!!!

:cuss:ROFL:cuss:

BigChiefFan
11-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Suh is probably the best player in the nation. I know his position would be redundant here, but he's my clear-cut favorite as number one pick overall.

CoMoChief
11-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Here's what I think we would need. Granted some FA's are just stop gaps

FA - NT Wilfork <==== 1st priority

FA - LB:
Shawn Merriman
Carlos Dansby
James Harrison**
Lofa Tatupu**
Derrick Johnson (do we re-sign him?)
** Current teams probably re-sign them.

FA - OL:
Logan Mankins
Winston Justice
Chad Clifton
Alex Barron
John Tait

FA - WR
Steve Breaston
Vincent Jackson**
Lee Evans
**current team probably re-signs him

2010 Draft
Rd 1 - Mays
Rd 2 - OL
Rd 2 - OL
Rd 3 - WR Gilyard, Univ of Cincy

CoMoChief
11-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Question(unless it's already been asked): Who do we take if we end up with the #1 overall pick

try hard as fuck to trade down.

Rausch
11-09-2009, 06:50 PM
try hard as **** to trade down.

Trade down, period.

Yes, you take less than textbook value and add picks...

Fairplay
11-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Trade down, period.

Yes i agree. Look what has happened the last two years.

I rest my case.

kysirsoze
11-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Mays or Berry..... is there an echo in here??

DaKernal
11-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Teams usually can't trade out of the #1. Nobody else wants it anymore

Mr. Laz
11-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Suh is probably the best player in the nation. I know his position would be redundant here, but he's my clear-cut favorite as number one pick overall.

i like Suh but if we take him we would have to go back to a 4-3 ... i don't see that happening.

Mr. Laz
11-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Teams usually can't trade out of the #1. Nobody else wants it anymore
hopefully the new CBA will change that

DaKernal
11-09-2009, 07:14 PM
hopefully the new CBA will change that

Yes, but it's very unlikely that they will have a new one in place by March or whenever the deadline is

BossChief
11-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Trade down, period.

this if possible anyway. This draft will have added value in each round.

i like Suh but if we take him we would have to go back to a 4-3 ... i don't see that happening.

why do you think this? I think we would have to alter our scheme to fit Dorsey in as a penetrating NT, but that is done in a lot of 3-4s nowadays. Pittsburg and Dallas come to mind right off the top of my head. (man, I would love to have Wade Phillips running our d next year and to install this type of defense.) Suh, Dorsey and TJ could become a young defensive version of the "line of fame" we used to have here.

I think Suh could redefine the use of a 5-tec and be the new prototype of the position.

I am still leaning toward Berry though simply because we are in such dire need of a safety and the value is there. It will all depent where we pick though, if we are third overall, we might miss out on Suh and Berry.