PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Are Starving Charles

Hammock Parties
11-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Chiefs Are Starving Charles (http://kan.scout.com/2/917639.html)

All week long, running back Jamaal Charles was the hot topic in Kansas City. Larry Johnson was suspended, Charles was slated to start against the Jacksonville Jaguars, fans were excited and ready for something fresh in the backfield. After Johnson’s 2.7 yards per carry and zero touchdowns in 2009, change was good.

Head coach Todd Haley talked up Charles during last week’s press conferences. Charles himself bubbled about the opportunity to finally start and be featured. The stage was set for a young player to prove himself.

On three of the first four plays of Sunday’s game, the Chiefs put the ball in Charles’ hands. He gained 22 yards. It certainly appeared as if Haley planned to feature Charles and then, without warning, everything ground to a halt.

After three touches in four plays (which led to a field goal), Charles only saw the ball six more times the rest of the game. The Chiefs went several series without making an attempt to put the ball in his hands. After the beginning of the game, Charles waited until there were 35 seconds left in the first half for his next touch.

Instead of handing the ball to Charles, the Chiefs rolled out an old Kansas City “favorite,” running back by committee. Kolby Smith (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307550), Dantrell Savage (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307549) and even fullback Mike Cox (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307417) received touches. All told, KC’s backs combined for 18 touches and produced 84 yards. Not awful by any stretch of the imagination, and no one was missing Johnson or his 2.7 yards per carry. Running back by committee averaged over four yards per carry.

But what good did it really do? The Chiefs failed to move the ball with much success until the game was well out of reach in the fourth quarter. Until Matt Cassel (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4210794) started throwing desperate bombs to Dwayne Bowe (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307406) and Chris Chambers, Kansas City’s longest drive covered only 39 yards. Haley’s offense produced five three-and-out series and, at one point, punted four consecutive times. It was pathetic offense.

Should we really be surprised when the gameplanning is equally pathetic?

After Tennessee’s Chris Johnson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4347194) scorched the Jaguars for 228 yards rushing a week ago, the Chiefs should have done everything in their power to feature Charles Sunday in Jacksonville. There was no reason to give him only nine touches (and just six carries) in a game that was close almost the entire way. Not only are Charles and Johnson possessive of similar skill sets, the Chiefs themselves apparently desired to capitalize on their similarities.

Haley revealed before Sunday’s game that running backs coach Maurice Carthon prepared a tape of Johnson for Charles to watch earlier this season. Doesn't that scream that the Chiefs would like nothing more than for Charles to be just like Johnson? They see the potential in him to produce in a similar manner. Why else bother with the tape? Why bother starting him in Larry Johnson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307530)’s absence if you don’t feel he’s your top back?

But if all that is true, how do you explain Sunday’s game, where Charles was starved for touches despite doing nothing wrong (other than muffing a kickoff return)? It boggles the mind. The Chiefs are desperate for playmakers, give the fastest, most talented running back on their team the start, and then ignore him for large chunks of the game. Even worse, they hand the ball to players with less talent.

Savage and Smith, while they certainly aren’t without talent, don’t even begin to compare to Charles. You can talk about raw timed speed all you want, but even on the field, they haven’t produced in the same manner. The longest play of Savage’s NFL career? Twelve yards. Smith’s career best? Nineteen yards.

Haley’s only explanation for his lack of commitment to the running game Sunday was to offer up a vague and brief statement about the defensive looks the Jaguars were showing Kansas City, citing run blitzes as a reason the Chiefs called 44 passes against 12 runs. But when he turns right around and starts complaining about negative plays, it’s almost hypocritical. Every negative play the Chiefs had Sunday came via the passing game.

Again, in a close contest, why abandon the running game? Even worse, why abandon the playmaker with the most potential? Charles ripped off over 100 yards last year in the only game he was featured, carried the load at Texas as a senior and has stayed healthy this season. He’s ready for more.

Sunday’s game was reminiscent of an era Chiefs fans would just as soon forget. It wasn’t so long ago that Jimmy Raye was calling plays for Kansas City and handing the ball to three backs instead of one – who can forget the plodding ways of Bam Morris and Donnell Bennett? Raye wasted time splitting touches between backs when he should have been handing the ball mostly to Tony Richardson (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4367102), who actually led the entire AFC in yards per touch a year after Morris was dumped from the team and Bennett was dumped to the bench.

Guess which running back is leading the Chiefs in yards per touch this season? The same player who could barely buy a touch in Jacksonville Sunday. At the pace he’s currently on, Charles won’t come close to equaling the numbers he put up as a rookie and complementary piece in Chan Gailey’s 2008 offense, and that’s a shame considering the lack of playmakers in Kansas City. The Chiefs should be wearing Charles out trying to find ways to move the ball on offense.

Maybe we shouldn’t be surprised. All season long, Haley has struggled to find opportunities for Dwayne Bowe to catch the football while Johnson, the NFL’s least productive runner, was fed carries with regularity. Waiver-wire pickups (Lance Long, Bobby Wade, Chris Chambers) become Playmaker Of The Week after skimming Haley’s playbook for a few days. There’s little logic in the way the ball is distributed within Kansas City’s offense.

Charles doesn’t have a Twitter account, so we won’t know if he’s upset over all this. But everyone else who follows the Chiefs is.

Silock
11-09-2009, 12:52 AM
/agree x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000

DBOSHO
11-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Shouldnt the last word in the article be "are"?

But it drives me up the wall to see our best players barely even get looked at. Haley cannot call a game for crap. It wouldnt hurt my feelings one bit if he was gone next season

Silock
11-09-2009, 12:57 AM
No, "everyone... is." You wouldn't say "Everyone are," unless you're British, but fuck those limey bastards.

RealSNR
11-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Shouldnt the last word in the article be "are"?

But it drives me up the wall to see our best players barely even get looked at. Haley cannot call a game for crap. It wouldnt hurt my feelings one bit if he was gone next seasonNo. Every one. Every individual. It's a singular pronoun

Hammock Parties
11-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Come on guys. You should know by now WPI has impeccable grammar and spelling.

FD
11-09-2009, 12:59 AM
[URL="http://kan.scout.com/2/917639.html"]...Not only are Charles and Johnson possessive of similar skill sets...

Kind of a stretch. I know what you are meaning here, and I agree, but nobody else in the league has Chris Johnson's skill set.

Hammock Parties
11-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Kind of a stretch. I know what you are meaning here, and I agree, but nobody else in the league has Chris Johnson's skill set.

I don't think there's a problem with saying Charles is a poor man's CJ.

DBOSHO
11-09-2009, 01:02 AM
My bad.

Just Passin' By
11-09-2009, 01:03 AM

He's not even a homeless man's CJ.

DBOSHO
11-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Id like to see the two run a footrace. Or cj and deangelo williams. I watched the panthers game, that dude can RUN.

T-post Tom
11-09-2009, 01:09 AM
It's been said so many times, but Haley is in over his head. I hope he finds his mojo over the next eight games. I can't do this again next year.

Hammock Parties
11-09-2009, 01:09 AM
He's not even a homeless man's CJ.

Eh. The only reason Charles didn't go in the first round was his fumbling problems.

You switch the teams they're on and Charles might have already rushed for 1,000 yards.

Just Passin' By
11-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Eh. The only reason Charles didn't go in the first round was his fumbling problems.

You switch the teams they're on and Charles might have already rushed for 1,000 yards.

Johnson has a gear that Charles doesn't.

Hammock Parties
11-09-2009, 01:31 AM

Hence the poor man.

Just Passin' By
11-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Hence the poor man.

Not even homeless. You're acting as if he's just a notch below. It's a completely different running animal.

Hammock Parties
11-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Not even homeless. You're acting as if he's just a notch below. It's a completely different running animal.

All things being equal, I think Charles would do quite well. Maybe not 7 YPC well, but quite well.

Who would you compare him to?

Mecca
11-09-2009, 01:56 AM
Charles should be getting the majority of the carries, it really makes no sense why he's not.

Todd Haley is far to obsessed with the passing game at this point.

Hammock Parties
11-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Charles should be getting the majority of the carries, it really makes no sense why he's not.

Conspiracy theory: The Chiefs plan to start LJ when he comes back, so why create controversy by giving Charles a chance to prove he's the better back.

Mecca
11-09-2009, 02:01 AM
I actually think Haley just doesn't enjoy running the ball and only does it when he feels he has to because Cassel will die if he doesn't.

He might end up as a great head coach one day but as a playcaller he leaves a lot to be desired, even with Arizona, way to much passing.

Silock
11-09-2009, 02:03 AM
I think when you have Warner, Fitz and Boldin, you can get away with passing it a ton.

Needless to say, that's not even remotely close to the situation that exists here.

Just Passin' By
11-09-2009, 02:25 AM
All things being equal, I think Charles would do quite well. Maybe not 7 YPC well, but quite well.

Who would you compare him to?

I wouldn't really compare him to anyone at this point. He's a backup running back who has fumble issues and has, thus far, failed to convince two separate coaching staffs that he deserves more playing time, even though his YPC is relatively impressive. However, from that perspective:

Other than the fumbles, that's more of a poor man's Jerious Norwood than a poor man's Chris Johnson.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-09-2009, 03:04 AM
I agree with the article.Charles should have had 25-30 touches.

Haley has no idea how to utilize talent. None what so ever!

KCChiefsMan
11-09-2009, 04:07 AM
Charles is can't even hold CJ's jock strap. But I do think they should have ran him more

Micjones
11-09-2009, 05:28 AM
Haley should be ashamed of himself for only allowing Charles an opportunity to run the ball 6 times the entire game yesterday.

If you're going to put the ball in the kid's hands... Let him run the ball.

If you're afraid that he's going to put it on the ground...
Give it to someone else.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-09-2009, 06:45 AM
I think the muffed kickoff sealed his fate.... which is petty. It is a game and players make mistakes.

Todd Haley continues to dissapoint and amaze me. I am normally pretty supportive, but he confounds logic at every turn.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-09-2009, 07:26 AM
And he averaged 6.0 ypc.

Dick Wasted
11-09-2009, 07:37 AM
The Chiefs can't even beat the Raiders. That is just sad.

scho63
11-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Excellent analysis and synopsis of the poor play calling by Todd Haley. I'm stating to believe that this guy is out of his league being a head coach.

StcChief
11-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Haley should be ashamed of himself for only allowing Charles an opportunity to run the ball 6 times the entire game yesterday.

If you're going to put the ball in the kid's hands... Let him run the ball.

If you're afraid that he's going to put it on the ground...
Give it to someone else.exactly if he's SERIOUS about replacing LJ what better tryout....

Gary
11-09-2009, 08:24 AM
In the "Inside the locker room" video on Kcchiefs.com, a reporter asks Jamaal about the gameplan. He was very diplomatic about his answer but you could tell how disappointed he was.

MahiMike
11-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Good take. I also wondered why they went away from Charles on the 3rd and short plays. When he did get the ball, it was pitch outs. That worked great on 1st and 2nd down, but needing less than a yard, you gotta run it up the gut. Guess he didn't trust him to hand off.

Dick Wasted
11-09-2009, 08:50 AM
At least the Chiefs beat Washington. They actually have two wins.

King_Chief_Fan
11-09-2009, 09:26 AM
exactly if he's SERIOUS about replacing LJ what better tryout....

and here lies the truth I think

Johnson will be back as the feature back regardless of the weak attempt of fans petitioning the organization to sit him.

King_Chief_Fan
11-09-2009, 09:28 AM
and here lies the truth I think

Johnson will be back as the feature back regardless of the weak attempt of fans petitioning the organization to sit him.

forget that......others are reporting that LJ is released

Rain Man
11-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't get it. Charles was doing great out there whenever he got the ball.

Easy 6
11-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah, it didnt make any sense to shut him down like that... poor, poor choice by Haley.

He needs to leave the AZ offense in AZ.

Mama Hip Rockets
11-09-2009, 12:39 PM

how do you know? charles has hardly played at all in his entire career.

Mama Hip Rockets
11-09-2009, 12:42 PM

the strange thing is, he is obsessed with the maximum-of-3-yards passing game for the first three and a half quarters. wouldn't a run be just as effective as the 3-yard pass once in a while?

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Haley has been a fucking dumbass during the games this year. He coaches like a poker player on tilt.

Christofire
11-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Haley's screwed. He can't set up the run with the pass, and he can't set up the pass with the run. At least if he throws it downfield, there's a chance a defender falls down or we make a circus catch.

Bob Dole
11-09-2009, 12:47 PM
the strange thing is, he is obsessed with the maximum-of-3-yards passing game for the first three and a half quarters. wouldn't a run be just as effective as the 3-yard pass once in a while?

Especially when most runs aren't going to lose 6-8 yards or result in a fumble returned for 6...

Christofire
11-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Personally, I don't think defenses fear our passing game at all, so they do what Haley said they were doing yesterday, which is run blitz and make Cassel beat them. Which, between poor protection, bad passes and dropped balls, he can't do. Sucko.

Just Passin' By
11-09-2009, 01:01 PM
how do you know? charles has hardly played at all in his entire career.

Because he has played.

Hammock Parties
01-11-2010, 01:19 PM

:D