PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Texans to look at ex-Chiefs running back Johnson

Hammock Parties
11-09-2009, 10:21 PM
How funny would it be if LJ and Pollard ended up together in my stomping grounds... ROFL

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6711752.html

The Texans’ running game is so bad they are interested in signing former Kansas City running back Larry Johnson.

The Texans, who are 5-4 and averaging only 90.8 yards rushing, are one of several teams showing interest in Johnson, who was placed on waivers Monday.

“We’re going to do our homework on him just like we did our homework on Edgerrin James last week,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “Obviously, I think when a name like that (Johnson) comes on the free agent market like today, we’ll take a look at him just like any other player.

“He’s been a good player in this league, and I’m sure he’ll get a lot of interest from a lot of people.”

Johnson, who turns 30 on Nov. 16, will be an unrestricted free agent if he clears waivers today as expected. The Chiefs released him on the day he returned from a two-week suspension for conduct detrimental to the team.

Johnson, who was dogged by off-the-field issues at Kansas City, was suspended for making anti-gay remarks on his Twitter account and for repeating them to reporters who cover the Chiefs. He also was critical of first-year coach Todd Haley on his Twitter account.

The NFL told the Kansas City Star on Monday that Johnson doesn’t face a possible suspension from the league because the Chiefs already suspended him for two games, costing him about $330,000, according to the newspaper.

The Texans are interested in Johnson because they’re trying to improve a running game that’s been a huge disappointment this season.

Steve Slaton fumbled seven times and lost five in the first eight games. His replacement in the starting lineup, Ryan Moats, lost a controversial fumble in Sunday’s 20-17 defeat at Indianapolis.

Moats and Slaton combined for 22 carries and 45 yards and six catches and 27 yards. Moats caught a 1-yard touchdown pass. Slaton scored on a 1-yard run.

“We didn’t run the ball real well when you look at the numbers,” Kubiak said about said about rushing for 81 yards on 26 carries. “We did try to stay committed to it.

“We missed a couple of big protections in the game, which hurt us very badly, especially there at the end of the game. Both of them need to play better for us to be successful.”

After their open date, the Texans have home games against Tennessee and Indianapolis before going on the road again and playing Jacksonville. To compete for the playoffs, they have to find a way to be more productive in the running game.

Drafted in the first round out of Penn State in 2003, Johnson’s best season was 2006 when he carried 416 times for 1,789 yards.

Coach
11-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Wouldn't make sense. Moats and Slanton is a good duo.

Washington, on the other hand, could use LJ.

Bowser
11-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Print 'em

LaChapelle
11-09-2009, 10:27 PM
The CHiefs offense picked up late in the 4th quarter of the Jaguar game when Haley told them LJ was getting axed.

BossChief
11-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Wouldn't make sense. Moats and Slanton is a good duo.

Washington, on the other hand, could use LJ.

with all his problems on a losing team, you really think he would sign with Washington?

I can definitely see him ending up in houston though...

Hammock Parties
11-09-2009, 10:47 PM
with all his problems on a losing team, you really think he would sign with Washington?

Larry loves money. He'll sign with anyone.

BossChief
11-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Larry loves money. He'll sign with anyone.

who doesnt?

if money isnt an issue, someone will claim him on waivers and pay his remaining salary, if not he will likely sign with a contender. Houston would be a good fit imo. They need a power back as a complement to the guys they have.

BWillie
11-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if Houston made a team w/ all of our rejects and ended up being a playoff team?

blazzin311
11-10-2009, 12:55 AM

I can definitely see him ending up in houston though...

Why wouldn't the Skins want him. With all the injuries Portis seems to have. I mean it's not like they're going to sign him and all of a sudden start losing a bunch of games. They're already doing that without him. Whether they make a play for him or not things can only get better for the Skins. Plus we all know Dan Snyder is prone to making stupid decisions.

BossChief
11-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Why wouldn't the Skins want him. With all the injuries Portis seems to have. I mean it's not like they're going to sign him and all of a sudden start losing a bunch of games. They're already doing that without him. Whether they make a play for him or not things can only get better for the Skins. Plus we all know Dan Snyder is prone to making stupid decisions.

if they want him, they better put in a waiver claim and pick up his contract IMHO because I dont think he wants to end on a losing team. The losing was a big part of his problems again IMHO. I could very well be wrong on this.

If money was the issue with him, he would have just stfu and played out his deal here. I think.

Mecca
11-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Actually Houston does make sense, they could cut Chris Brown and replace him with LJ, LJ is better in that big back role than Brown is.