PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sense of urgency...

Hammock Parties
11-10-2009, 07:47 PM
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the Chiefs started going to an up-tempo offense as soon as they fell behind 17-6 on Sunday. This was at the start of the fourth quarter.

The two-minute drills at the end of the game were obviously effective, but they were running a no-huddle well before that.

Why is this notable?

Under Herm the Chiefs were stuck in mud getting plays run off most of the time and rarely showed any sense of urgency at all. I think all of that has changed quite drastically under Haley. We may not know how to play during the snap but, dad gum it, we're Pro Bowlers before the snap!

Food for thought...

petegz28
11-10-2009, 07:51 PM
I have to agree with that. I don't know how many times under Herm I was screaming "get the fuck to moving!!!" cause they were always huddling up and taking their fucking time.

Donger
We may not know how to play during the snap but, dad gum it, we're Pro Bowlers before the snap!

So, the Chiefs to football are like you to sex?

mlyonsd
I'd hope it would change with a HC that used to be an OC. If that's an improvement I'd consider it a small one.

But your point is taken on how bad Herm's teams were coached.

HemiEd
11-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the Chiefs started going to an up-tempo offense as soon as they fell behind 17-6 on Sunday. This was at the start of the fourth quarter.

The two-minute drills at the end of the game were obviously effective, but they were running a no-huddle well before that.

Why is this notable?

Under Herm the Chiefs were stuck in mud getting plays run off most of the time and rarely showed any sense of urgency at all. I think all of that has changed quite drastically under Haley. We may not know how to play during the snap but, dad gum it, we're Pro Bowlers before the snap!

Food for thought...Just further proof, that they have vastly upgraded the HC position.

Reaper16
11-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Just a thought, and I don't have this seasons' games on DVR to go back and check, but: does the Chiefs' O-Line play any differently during the two-minute offenses that were so effective against JAX and DAL? Does, say, Albert look like he's playing more naturally and not caring about whatever technique Muir is concerned with out of the end-of-game desperation?

JD10367
11-10-2009, 07:56 PM
So many times it seems like the two-minute-drill works much better than the regular offense. A team will get into it and they move down the field easily, running no-huddle and/or shotgun and/or four-wide. And the fans yell, "Why don't they do this more often?!?" The answer is usually that the offense is dumbed-down and is not sufficient to run all the time. I say, bullshit. If a QB can run it well, and a team moves down the field with it, USE IT!

mlyonsd
11-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Just a thought, and I don't have this seasons' games on DVR to go back and check, but: does the Chiefs' O-Line play any differently during the two-minute offenses that were so effective against JAX and DAL? Does, say, Albert look like he's playing more naturally and not caring about whatever technique Muir is concerned with out of the end-of-game desperation?
JMO but it appears to me they play better when the defense is playing prevent and only rushing 3 guys.

Spott
11-10-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm glad they got a sense of urgency after they got down 3 scores with 3 minutes left. Maybe they can work on trying to develop it a little earlier in the game, like maybe sometime in the first half.

Hammock Parties
11-10-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm glad they got a sense of urgency after they got down 3 scores with 3 minutes left.

The point of the thread is that they had a sense of urgency starting at the BEGINNING of the fourth quarter.

BossChief
11-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I wanted us to expand on the "red-ball" concept Gailey started working in last year...shotgun spread no huddle where the play was called with a # that each player had on his wrist. I think it could have worked with better talent.

MahiMike
11-10-2009, 08:19 PM
I'd be more excited if they started the game like this. Come on! You've won 1 friggin game Todd. Go for it! While you're at it, go for it on every 4th down inside the 35.

Hammock Parties
11-10-2009, 08:21 PM
I'd be more excited if they started the game like this. Come on! You've won 1 friggin game Todd. Go for it! While you're at it, go for it on every 4th down inside the 35.

I think running an up tempo offense for the entire game would be putting the defense at more of a disadvantage than it already is.

MahiMike
11-10-2009, 08:24 PM
I think running an up tempo offense for the entire game would be putting the defense at more of a disadvantage than it already is.

True. I didn't mean the whole game. Maybe every 3rd series.