PDA

View Full Version : News Why Veteran's Day is on November 11th

gblowfish
11-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Interesting story...
And BTW, if you've never been to the WWI monument and museum in KC, you should go. It's awesome, and it the national monument for WWI, the War to End All Wars (link) http://www.theworldwar.org/s/110/new/index_community.aspx

Story on how 11/11 became Veterans Day. Thanks to our Vets!

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93165?fp=1

While most know that Veterans Day honors those who have served in the military, the meaning behind its exact date (November 11) may not be so familiar. Here's the backstory:

Back in 1918, in the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, a stop to hostilities was declared, ending World War I. An armistice to cease the fighting on the Western Front was signed by the Allied powers and Germany.

President Woodrow Wilson immediately proclaimed the day "Armistice Day," kicking off the annual commemoration on November 11. But over the years, with veterans returning from World War II and the Korean War, Armistice Day became Veterans Day — a day reserved to honor veterans returning from all wars. But 11/11 still represented the end of the Great War in the public's mind, and the date stuck.

In 1921, unidentified dead from the war were buried in Arlington National Cemetery in Washington, D.C., Westminster Abbey in London, and the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. The tradition to honor those killed in the war but never identified continues every year in the U.S. The ceremony is held at 11 a.m. at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery.

Congress designated Veterans Day as a legal holiday in 1938, and since then, most Americans have come to know it as a day for store sales and parades. Yahoo! Searches on the holiday have already surged on the Web. People want to know "veterans day history," "veterans day closings," veterans day sales," and "veterans day free meals."

Kylo Ren
11-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Who didn't know this?

Gonzo
11-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Who didn't know this?

You'd be surprised at the current generations ignorance.

Pitt Gorilla
11-11-2009, 02:21 PM
You'd be surprised at the current generations ignorance.Disagree. This was read every year throughout my schooling at an assembly that honored veterans. It was always an outstanding assembly that included veterans from the area.

This happens at many schools that I have visited.

Gonzo
11-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Disagree. This was read every year throughout my schooling at an assembly that honored veterans. It was always an outstanding assembly that included veterans from the area.

I'm sorry, I'll rephrase...

You'd be surprised by this generations indifference.

MOhillbilly
11-11-2009, 02:28 PM
http://girldogtorch.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/in-flanders-fields.gif

JohninGpt
11-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Disagree. This was read every year throughout my schooling at an assembly that honored veterans. It was always an outstanding assembly that included veterans from the area.

I went to one at my son's school this morning, they didn't recite "Flanders Fields" but they did sing us several patriotic songs. It was a pretty cool deal.

During the coffee and donut breakfast beforehand, I was talking to a WWII Marine who served at Iwo Jima. Ol' dude had some good stories.

teedubya
11-11-2009, 03:53 PM
11:11 is a sacred number in the spiritual realm as well... it stands for peace and is a "key" to unlocking cosmic wisdom or something.

So, knowing that, I find it VERY peculiar that this day is a day praising military...

Woodrow Wilson was also a 33rd degree Freemason, so the esoteric knowledge would not have escaped them.

Now, the 11th of November makes people think of war and military instead of peace and harmony...

or something.

11-11-2009, 03:53 PM
This is one of those holidays that I question why it is a general day off for most business. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Labor Day and News Years Day I can see. I do think Labor day should technically be July 5th just because everyone is out late on the 4th but that is just a technicality. Veterans, President's and MLK I don't see the point of the day off at all. Hell, I don't even get Presidents or MLK at my place of business and it makes perfect sense to me why not.

gblowfish
11-11-2009, 04:44 PM
I think any person who has been honorably discharged (not active military) should get this day off as a paid vacation day.

11-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I think any person who has been honorably discharged (not active military) should get this day off as a paid vacation day.Now that, I would support. It would make perfect sense then.

R&GHomer
11-11-2009, 04:57 PM
This is one of those holidays that I question why it is a general day off for most business. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Labor Day and News Years Day I can see. I do think Labor day should technically be July 5th just because everyone is out late on the 4th but that is just a technicality. Veterans, President's and MLK I don't see the point of the day off at all. Hell, I don't even get Presidents or MLK at my place of business and it makes perfect sense to me why not.

Federal, state facilities, and banks get the day off, but most places don't give you this day. I have never had this day off as a civilian.

Mojo Jojo
11-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Who didn't know this?

People who voted for BHO.

Mojo Jojo
11-11-2009, 05:18 PM

Why would you put Labor Day over Veterans Day? One celebrates people who gave their time and or lives to defend our country...the other was forced by unions onto the American people. If you want to throw out Veterans Day we should also throw out Labor Day....

Kylo Ren
11-11-2009, 05:18 PM
You'd be surprised at the current generations ignorance. My wife, a Topeka High grad, God Bless her, doesn't know the difference between the Revolutionary War and the Civil War, nor the differenc between WWI and WWII, nor the difference between the Korean War and Vietnam War. She'll ask me "did WWI come before or after the Civil War?" History wasn't her best subject. Skipping school was.

Kylo Ren
11-11-2009, 05:21 PM
People who voted for BHO. You got that right. :evil:

gblowfish
11-11-2009, 05:30 PM
People who voted for BHO.

Oh, please...