PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV The Kansas (City) Episode of South Park

jAZ
11-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Well done take on Larry Johnson and Fred Phelps.

(Warning: Typical NSFW, South Park-type Language).

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:254819" width="480" height="400" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" flashVars="autoPlay=false&dist=www.southparkstudios.com&orig=" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" allownetworking="all" bgcolor="#000000"></embed>

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:254820" width="480" height="400" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" flashVars="autoPlay=false&dist=www.southparkstudios.com&orig=" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" allownetworking="all" bgcolor="#000000"></embed>

mikeyis4dcats.
11-12-2009, 04:47 PM
I didn't see LJ anywhere.....and that was a stretch to call that a Phelps dig.

jAZ
11-12-2009, 06:05 PM
The entire episode seems to have been drawn from the debate coming from LJ's comments about whether "f*ggot" is really a gay slur. We had that debate here ourselves.

And the end of the 2nd video had the FP reference.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-12-2009, 06:50 PM
The entire episode seems to have been drawn from the debate coming from LJ's comments about whether "f*ggot" is really a gay slur. We had that debate here ourselves.

And the end of the 2nd video had the FP reference.

yeah, I saw the preacher with the sign....I guess I don't only associate a God Hates Fags sign with Phelps anymore...you're probably right

Molitoth
11-12-2009, 07:06 PM
In the second video at the end I thought it was a South Park take on the Jim Rome / Jim Everret interview.

L.A. Chieffan
11-12-2009, 07:40 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=205670

post 19

Silock
11-12-2009, 09:16 PM
There is no way that was about LJ. They wouldn't been able to produce it like that in such a short time. Total coincidence.

Hootie
11-12-2009, 09:37 PM
There is no way that was about LJ. They wouldn't been able to produce it like that in such a short time. Total coincidence.

Yeah...duh.

This episode had nothing to do with Larry Johnson.

LMAO

I can't believe people actually thought that...

-King-
11-12-2009, 09:56 PM

I can tell you've never watched south park. They literally do make episodes days after incidents. While it might not be directly related to LJ, Im pretty sure the LJ incident has a lot to do with it.

Silock
11-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I can tell you've never watched south park. They literally do make episodes days after incidents. While it might not be directly related to LJ, Im pretty sure the LJ incident has a lot to do with it.

I can tell that you don't know I have watched every single episode of SP ever created and watch it every week. The LJ incident had nothing to do with it. It's total coincidence. Yeah, SP tends to respond to incidents in a timely manner, but one week isn't long enough, considering the LJ thing happened 17 days ago, and they already had previews of the episode ready at that time.

-King-
11-12-2009, 10:07 PM
I can tell that you don't know I have watched every single episode of SP ever created and watch it every week. The LJ incident had nothing to do with it. It's total coincidence. Yeah, SP tends to respond to incidents in a timely manner, but one week isn't long enough, considering the LJ thing happened 17 days ago, and they already had previews of the episode ready at that time.

Touche

Lord Bestyle
11-12-2009, 10:46 PM

I don't think it was a shot at LJ either, but a week may be plenty long enough:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/in-action/southpark/

Silock
11-12-2009, 11:05 PM
I don't think it was a shot at LJ either, but a week may be plenty long enough:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/in-action/southpark/

To render it, sure. But they certainly planned it ahead of time. They had previews up for the episode on SPS before it aired.

jAZ
11-12-2009, 11:06 PM

The Daily Show writiers can produce a daily, timely comedy script in a matter of hours. SNL does the same in a week. There is abosolutely no technical reason why South Park couldn't have built the entire episode around LJ.

I don't know that happened. But it's perfect reasonable to assume that they did, baring any evidence to the contrary.

Silock
11-12-2009, 11:08 PM
I don't know that happened. But it's perfect reasonable to assume that they did, baring any evidence to the contrary.

It's perfectly reasonable to assume that aliens created the episode. After all, we have no evidence to the contrary.

jAZ
11-12-2009, 11:09 PM
To render it, sure. But they certainly planned it ahead of time. They had previews up for the episode on SPS before it aired.

100% Wrong.

http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/southpark/

It doesn’t get much more serious than South Park. Not that the show is dull or somber. It simply has the most manic production schedule of any animated series on television — probably ever. “We work between 100 and 120 hours in a seven-day week to deliver the episodes,” says Frank Agnone, supervising producer at South Park Studios in Los Angeles. “We’re moving unbelievably fast right out of the gate.”

Consider that an understatement. The South Park staff has been known to work around the clock — for nearly 24 hours — to turn out a show. And they don’t produce any shows ahead of time. Every new episode is delivered the day it airs. Why adhere to such a frantic production schedule? South Park wouldn’t be as funny or as remarkable if it wasn’t timely. Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the show’s creators and chief authors, need the ability to spoof yesterday’s presidential news conference or parody Britney Spears’ latest hairdo. They demand the creative freedom to mock any celebrity, politician or fad almost instantly.

jAZ
11-12-2009, 11:12 PM
It's perfectly reasonable to assume that aliens created the episode. After all, we have no evidence to the contrary.

You couldn't look more arrogant or ignorant than you do right now.

jAZ
11-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Yeah...duh.

This episode had nothing to do with Larry Johnson.

LMAO

I can't believe people actually thought that...

I can.

Silock
11-12-2009, 11:14 PM
100% Wrong.

http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/southpark/

It doesn’t get much more serious than South Park. Not that the show is dull or somber. It simply has the most manic production schedule of any animated series on television — probably ever. “We work between 100 and 120 hours in a seven-day week to deliver the episodes,” says Frank Agnone, supervising producer at South Park Studios in Los Angeles. “We’re moving unbelievably fast right out of the gate.”

Consider that an understatement. The South Park staff has been known to work around the clock — for nearly 24 hours — to turn out a show. And they don’t produce any shows ahead of time. Every new episode is delivered the day it airs. Why adhere to such a frantic production schedule? South Park wouldn’t be as funny or as remarkable if it wasn’t timely. Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the show’s creators and chief authors, need the ability to spoof yesterday’s presidential news conference or parody Britney Spears’ latest hairdo. They demand the creative freedom to mock any celebrity, politician or fad almost instantly.

Blah blah blah. You're still wrong. They had previews of the episode up BEFORE IT AIRED.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/news/

Hmm . . . 11/01/09, and the episode aired on 11/04/09. Yes, after the LJ thing happened, but it was CLEARLY already done.

Silock
11-12-2009, 11:15 PM
You couldn't look more arrogant or ignorant than you do right now.

I'm sure I could. I've not even begun to approach the standards you've set for this forum.

jAZ
11-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Blah blah blah. You're still wrong. They had previews of the episode up BEFORE IT AIRED.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/news/

Hmm . . . 11/01/09, and the episode aired on 11/04/09. Yes, after the LJ thing happened, but it was CLEARLY already done.

I was wrong.

You can look more arrogant and ignorant than you did in your last post.

God I hate people like this.

Facts staring you right in the gawd damn face and you can't bring yourself to admit that the epidsode was drawn from the news of the week and produced the week it aired.

Silock
11-12-2009, 11:19 PM
I was wrong.

You can look more arrogant and ignorant than you did in your last post.

God I hate people like this.

Facts staring you right in the gawd damn face and you can't bring yourself to admit that the epidsode was drawn from the news of the week and produced the week it aired.

What facts? They want the freedom to mock celebrities instantly, but those are small jabs inserted at the last minute, not entire episodes done in one or two days. It's a lot easier to insert a last-minute joke here and there than it is to rewrite an entire episode, score it, animate it, voice it and then sync it all up and edit it. It says they work around the clock to turn out a show, but it doesn't say that they start from scratch to do it. Not saying it's impossible, but it's HIGHLY unlikely, given that there were previews up before it aired.

Again, you didn't address the fact that it was clearly NOT done JUST the day before, as the press release and screenshots show the episode was already completed. No, last minute changes may not have been inserted until that day, but the episode was already done.

crazycoffey
11-12-2009, 11:28 PM
what exactly is this arguement about, it reads stupid all over the place. I blame LJ for the confusion....

Bugeater
11-12-2009, 11:32 PM
what exactly is this arguement about, it reads stupid all over the place. I blame LJ for the confusion....
Dude...it's the Planet. In case you haven't noticed, people will argue about ANYTHING here.

crazycoffey
11-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Dude...it's the Planet. In case you haven't noticed, people will argue about ANYTHING here.

dude, no way - you couldn't be more off base with that comment.....

jAZ
11-12-2009, 11:41 PM

/Hides his face in shame as he prepares his detailed rebuttle to Silocks nonsense.

jAZ
11-12-2009, 11:49 PM

Silock seems to think that despite a published report explaining that South Park creators create their shows on weekly basis using a psychoticly fast production schedule to permit them to take on the news of the week, in a timely manner... it's impossible that this "f-word" episode is about LJ's incident, even though there were 10 days between the indicent and the date they completed the episode.

jAZ
11-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Heh... just noticed your Avy.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/customavatars/avatar8663_67.gif

Couldn't be more appropriate for the direction this thread took.

crazycoffey
11-12-2009, 11:56 PM
see, this is how it's done;

Jaz - I can see how you made the correlation from the banter in the courtroom to LJ's comments. However, LJ was cut from KC and I wonder how big a wave anything that idiot says was made in the big pool that is mainstream media and/or national entertainment venues. I also got the phelps one, but that's a dead horse now anyway. Anywho, maybe it was inspired by LJ and maybe it wasn't, but interesting opinion in any event. Why would you continue to argue with Silock over this?

Silock - really, you don't see how this idea is plausable? Did Jaz piss you off with his extreme political views or was it putting a stupid faggity gheyhawk hat on his kid and using it in his avatar that rubbed you the wrong way? Actually it doesn't really matter, you staked your claim that it was total coincidence because of a preview, maybe a 10 second clip, that also was aired for the first time after the whole LJ incident. Even after you were proved wrong, you still continued to argue. Hope this doesn't piss you off, but you kinda came off as eiter a regular tool or just a just finishing the last shot of vodka kinda tool, in which case you'll be fine tomorrow, but Jaz will still be a KU fan.....

:D

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2009, 11:57 PM
:D

Yo!

Are you safe?

Hootie
11-12-2009, 11:59 PM
all south park was trying to prove is when we call people gay we're not referring to their sexual orientation...a lot of people have been saying that for years...the context of the word has changed...that was the point of the episode...

When I call my roommate a faggot...I don't actually think he takes it in the ass by my other roommate...it's all about context.

That's why we all knew this had nothing to do with LJ...Trey Parker and Matt Stone don't care about what LJ thinks of the KC media...and no one else cares either.

crazycoffey
11-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Yo!

Are you safe?

I'm safe, cold, jonesin for a drink and a poke in my gal, or maybe even just the ability to get in a car and go anywhere I want. But I'm still stateside. Doing our final preps before we actually go overseas.

crazycoffey
11-13-2009, 12:02 AM
all south park was trying to prove is when we call people gay we're not referring to their sexual orientation...a lot of people have been saying that for years...the context of the word has changed...that was the point of the episode...

When I call my roommate a faggot...I don't actually think he takes it in the ass by my other roommate...it's all about context.

That's why we all knew this had nothing to do with LJ...Trey Parker and Matt Stone don't care about what LJ thinks of the KC media...and no one else cares either.

this should be just a precursor to where the N word should go someday. Right now it holds way too much power for any word.

Silock
11-13-2009, 12:15 AM
Silock seems to think that despite a published report explaining that South Park creators create their shows on weekly basis using a psychoticly fast production schedule to permit them to take on the news of the week, in a timely manner... it's impossible that this "f-word" episode is about LJ's incident, even though there were 10 days between the indicent and the date they completed the episode.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying that to definitively say it IS about LJ is a fact not in evidence.

How do we know they weren't responding to something in their personal lives or some other story that we haven't heard? Lots of people don't even know about the LJ thing. On another forum I frequent, there's a weekly SP thread. Out of 45,000+ members, not a single one thought the episode was about LJ. The incident didn't even cross their minds, mostly because there's only a handful of people there from the KC area. And yes, a ton of them are football fans, and so would have seen it on Sportscenter.

I think it's just highly coincidental timing. They have previews of their new episodes up 4 days before they air. They did it with the Whale Wars episode, the Glenn Beck episode last night; that link doesn't say that they don't do anything ahead of time. It says they want to be flexible. The Apple link leads one to believe that they don't do ANYTHING ahead of time, but that's clearly impossible when they post preview clips of the show days ahead of time.

Everyone is hyper-sensitive about whatever they support, whether it's the Chiefs, the Yankees, your hometown... whatever. People use the f-word all the time. It's a current issue. It's no surprise that they did an episode on it.

Silock
11-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Silock - really, you don't see how this idea is plausable?

Sure, I do. I just think that calling it "The LJ Episode" without any concrete evidence is ridiculous.

Even after you were proved wrong, you still continued to argue.

Proved wrong about what? I don't see any concrete proof of anything; just a lot of conjecture (Even on my side!).

jAZ
11-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Sure, I do. I just think that calling it "The LJ Episode" without any concrete evidence is ridiculous.

Proved wrong about what? I don't see any concrete proof of anything; just a lot of conjecture (Even on my side!).

You said:

That's wrong. There is a "way that was about LJ". Reports suggest that they ALWAYS "produce it like that in such a short time". It absolutely doesn't have to be a "total coincidence".

jAZ
11-13-2009, 12:37 AM
I'm not saying it's impossible.

Again, you said: "There is no way that was about LJ."

Why can't you just admit that while it was a reasonable assumption at the time you said it, it turned out to be a wrong statement.

Is admitting you were wrong that hard?

jAZ
11-13-2009, 12:57 AM
that's clearly impossible when they post preview clips of the show days ahead of time.
No it's not "clearly impossible". In fact, "4 days before they air" would be 3 days into a 7 day production schedule.

And heck, if (and I have no idea if this is true, but in concept, if) they were to employ two teams of writers they could have been working on the episode for the full 9-10 days before it aired, not just the 7 days.

Or if the writers do most of their work on Days 1 and 2, they could start working on the next week's episode ideas while production is doing more of the work on days 3-7.

It's very possible.

BigMeatballDave
11-13-2009, 01:01 AM
I just saw that episode last week. Fucking hilarious!

BigMeatballDave
11-13-2009, 01:06 AM
I dont see the correlation between this and LJ. Other than the obvious. Just a coincidence...

Silock
11-13-2009, 01:16 AM
You said:

That's wrong. There is a "way that was about LJ". Reports suggest that they ALWAYS "produce it like that in such a short time". It absolutely doesn't have to be a "total coincidence".

They don't produce the WHOLE THING like that. There's no evidence of that. The link just says that they don't do the final cut until the day of so that they have flexibility. But as evidenced by the fact that they post clips of the show 4 days beforehand, they clearly work on it in advance. How far in advance? I don't know. But none of us do.

Silock
11-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Again, you said: "There is no way that was about LJ."

Why can't you just admit that while it was a reasonable assumption at the time you said it, it turned out to be a wrong statement.

Is admitting you were wrong that hard?

I still think there's no way that was about LJ. I don't think it's *impossible*, just highly improbably, hence my hyperbole. My statement was my opinion, just as your statement is your opinion. Sorry for not clarifying that was simply my opinion; I figured that much was obvious, but apparently not.

jAZ
11-13-2009, 01:20 AM
They don't produce the WHOLE THING like that. There's no evidence of that. The link just says that they don't do the final cut until the day of so that they have flexibility. But as evidenced by the fact that they post clips of the show 4 days beforehand, they clearly work on it in advance. How far in advance? I don't know. But none of us do.

Once again, you refuse to own up to your own false statement.

I'm not saying it's impossible.

There is no way that was about LJ.

Why should I expect anything to change with one more post pointing that out? No imaginable reason at all.

Silock
11-13-2009, 01:28 AM
No it's not "clearly impossible". In fact, "4 days before they air" would be 3 days into a 7 day production schedule.

And heck, if (and I have no idea if this is true, but in concept, if) they were to employ two teams of writers they could have been working on the episode for the full 9-10 days before it aired, not just the 7 days.

Or if the writers do most of their work on Days 1 and 2, they could start working on the next week's episode ideas while production is doing more of the work on days 3-7.

It's very possible.

Okay, you're right. Not impossible. Highly, highly improbable. If you think that they're not working on the framework of episodes weeks in advance, I don't know what to tell you. While they may not nail down the final cut until the day of, they're obviously working on it in advance. So, yeah, they have flexibility to add little things, but there's still a lag time in major episodic themes. Current jokes? Sure, they can do that. Basing an entire episode around it is another matter entirely. I can think of several times where they were a couple of weeks, maybe three, behind a major current event, but it was very, very rarely the week of. The Somali pirate episode was a current event, but it still lagged behind the actual sniping event by about ten days and that's as close as I can remember it being. The sniping happened at the very end of the Somali pirate stuff... it had been in the news for weeks and weeks. It's most likely that they were planning an episode around the Somali pirates and the sniping gave them impetus to do it sooner. And that was a major event. The LJ thing... outside of KC and GLAAD, no one really paid any attention.

I don't feel that there is concrete evidence of your assertion that this was an episode about LJ.

So, sure, I'll say this:

I was wrong about it being impossible. It is highly, highly, HIGHLY unlikely and improbable and the assertion isn't backed up by anything concrete. No one outside of KC really even drew the lines between the two. Southpark is consistently MUCH more overt than that. I think you were much more on target with the Phelps thing.

Miles
11-13-2009, 01:52 AM
It has been over a week and I didn't think or read that it could have possibly been LJ's comments that they were referring to.

I did like the riff on Harleys as they are pretty fucking annoying.

LaChapelle
11-13-2009, 04:54 AM
Kansas City? WTF
DC wack job