PDA

View Full Version : Science NASA discovers 'significant' amount of water on moon

FD
11-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Holy crap!

NASA discovers 'significant' amount of water on moon
Video

Water on the moon, once a wild conjecture, appears to have become an established fact. Jubilant NASA scientists announced Friday that they had found the tell-tale signs of significant quantities of water, in the form of ice and vapor, lurking in a shadowed crater at the moon's south poll.

The discovery came from the double-whammy impact of a rocket and a trailing spacecraft slamming into the Cabeus crater four minutes apart on Oct. 9 and kicking up a plume of material. Instruments aboard the trailing spacecraft, and on another orbiting lunar probe, analyzed the ejected material and saw clear signatures of the equivalent of about 26 gallons worth of water, primarily in the form of vapor.

How much water there may be across the rest of the moon is unclear. But the pole turned out to be a jackpot.

"Can you believe it? Isn't this cool?" said Peter Schultz, a Brown University planetary scientist and team member for a mission called LCROSS, for Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite.

"After the Apollo program ended, we concluded that the moon was dead," Schultz said. "Now what we're seeing is a place with a reservoir of ices that have been collected over billions of years."

"One way of saying it is, this is not your father's moon," said team member Gregory Delory of the University of California at Berkeley.

The spent rocket body created its own crater roughly 60 to 100 feet across. Some of the vapor reached as high as about 25 miles, but most of the material shot out laterally from the impact. The mission had been something of a public relations dud initially because of problems with the live video stream. Amateur astronomers had hoped to see the impact with backyard telescopes, but the mission leaders switched to a different target that put the plume behind a lunar ridge.

But the scientific results are dramatic. The material excavated by the collision contains not only water, but other complex molecules that are still being analyzed and which may offer clues to the origin of the solar system. These shadowed, extremely cold craters on the moon are the solar system's dusty attic, the scientists said.
ad_icon

"Oh my goodness, it's a lot more complicated than we really anticipated," said NASA scientist Anthony Colaprete, the leader of the LCROSS team. "It wasn't just water, there was a lot more interesting stuff in there."

Water on the moon could prove to be a valuable resource for space exploration. Not only could it provide drinking water for astronauts, it could be used to create rocket fuel. NASA's long-term strategy for exploration officially includes a return of astronauts to the moon, but plans are up in the air as the Obama Administration examines alternatives that might include bypassing the moon in the near term.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/13/AR2009111301986.html

tiptap
11-13-2009, 02:48 PM
What is missing from this take is the shortfall in funding in order for the US to get our rockets and spacecraft ready to get back to the moon within 10 years.

FD
11-13-2009, 02:53 PM
What is missing from this take is the shortfall in funding in order for the US to get our rockets and spacecraft ready to get back to the moon within 10 years.

Yeah its pretty bad, but as the last paragraph suggests this discovery might make the concept much more easily accomlished than it seemed before.

"Bob" Dobbs
11-13-2009, 02:54 PM
What is missing from this take is the shortfall in funding in order for the US to get our rockets and spacecraft ready to get back to the moon within 10 years.What do you mean "BACK" to the moon? *ducks*

Donger
11-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Awesome.

38yrsfan
11-13-2009, 03:03 PM
What do you mean "BACK" to the moon? *ducks*

I saw it on TV so it had to be real.

Hydrae
11-13-2009, 03:03 PM
To the spaceship!

"Bob" Dobbs
11-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I couldn't resist. I've been hanging out at BAUT and apollohoax.net quite a bit lately.

Bob Dole
11-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Someone at the Post needs a proofreader.

South poll?

Donger
11-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Someone at the Post needs a proofreader.

South poll?

LMAO

tiptap
11-13-2009, 03:47 PM
What do you mean "BACK" to the moon? *ducks*

At age 58, I actually watched all those landing as they happened. A whole generation has only home movies.

"Bob" Dobbs
11-13-2009, 03:54 PM
oh, I know. I watched 'em too. Apollo hoax believers drive me batshit.

googlegoogle
11-13-2009, 04:01 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PJhWWfcNAfw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PJhWWfcNAfw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DumbHillbillies
11-13-2009, 04:16 PM

Seems like a "luxury" expense for this country these days. The economy is in the tank, unemployment rate 10% and were spending billions just to say there is water vapor on the moon. With this water vapor we can develop fuel so one day they can gas up on the moon to discover water vapor on a planet or another moon. Great. Doesn't seem worth it to me but a lot a geeks/nerds would be out of work if it wasn't for NASA's space program.

"Bob" Dobbs
11-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Seems like a "luxury" expense for this country these days. The economy is in the tank, unemployment rate 10% and were spending billions just to say there is water vapor on the moon. With this water vapor we can develop fuel so one day they can gas up on the moon to discover water vapor on a planet or another moon. Great. Doesn't seem worth it to me but a lot a geeks/nerds would be out of work if it wasn't for NASA's space program.You know, that's what I don't get. Yes, the Apollo project cost billions of dollars; but it's not like we took several boxes of cash and shot them to the moon. The money spent (except for hardware that's no longer around) STAYED RIGHT HERE. Something like 400k workers on the project; all getting paid. Seems like that'd be a jobs program I could get behind.

DumbHillbillies
11-13-2009, 04:43 PM
You know, that's what I don't get. Yes, the Apollo project cost billions of dollars; but it's not like we took several boxes of cash and shot them to the moon. The money spent (except for hardware that's no longer around) STAYED RIGHT HERE. Something like 400k workers on the project; all getting paid. Seems like that'd be a jobs program I could get behind.

I see what your saying and I'm not advocating putting people out of work. But, I guess I'm trying to say that I don't get too excited about water vapor being discovered on the moon. Is that really a big deal ?

"Bob" Dobbs
11-13-2009, 04:49 PM
I wasn't really saying putting people out of work; more like putting a lot of people TO work with a new major NASA project. Granted, finding water vapor on the moon is "geekier" than landing humans there, but that's how you do progress. I really wish our government would do another Kennedy-esque goal, like a decade to get a manned flight to Mars. It would certainly help employment, plus all that money would get to be taxed again. :)

38yrsfan
11-13-2009, 04:53 PM
I see what your saying and I'm not advocating putting people out of work. But, I guess I'm trying to say that I don't get too excited about water vapor being discovered on the moon. Is that really a big deal ?

Yes, it really is a big deal for many reasons, those listed - human consumption, fuel production, etc. Though one of the biggest is if it is found on the moon it is really possible to find it elsewhere ..... life beyond the human.

Pants
11-13-2009, 04:55 PM

How about we just stop all scientific progress because the economy is in the tank?

jjjayb
11-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Great. So this means if the astronauts get thirsty they can stop off for a drink?

38yrsfan
11-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Great. So this means if the astronauts get thirsty they can stop off for a drink?

and flavored with Tang :)

DumbHillbillies
11-13-2009, 04:57 PM
How about we just stop all scientific progress because the economy is in the tank?

Is water vapor found on the moon scientific progress and why ?

Donger
11-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Someone hasn't read (or seen) Dune, apparently.

Donger
11-13-2009, 05:04 PM

Because we didn't know that significant amounts of water existed on the Moon until now.

Rausch
11-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Someone hasn't read (or seen) Dune, apparently.

Sweet.

There's this hot chick at the local video store that LOOOOOOOVES blue eyes...

notorious
11-13-2009, 05:07 PM

Damn man.

Break down H20. What is in it?

Hydrogen and Oxygen.

Hydrogen can theoretically be used for fuel, thus making the moon a gas station for further exploration, and maybe a "jumping pad" to Mars.

Besides, water on the Moon, which is a very hostile enviroment, means that it probably exists on other planetary bodies.

Hint: LIFE

I think that might have a small effect on scientific progress and direction.

Just a guess.........

DumbHillbillies
11-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Damn man.

Break down H20. What is in it?

Hydrogen and Oxygen.

Hydrogen can theoretically be used for fuel, thus making the moon a gas station for further exploration, and maybe a "jumping pad" to Mars.

Besides, water on the Moon, which is a very hostile enviroment, means that it probably exists on other planetary bodies.

Hint: LIFE

I think that might have a small effect on scientific progress and direction.

Just a guess.........

That's pretty much what I said on my earlier post just not that exciting to me. You don't really think their is Life out there do you ? ROFL Let me guess your a trekkie and you love spending friday nights playing dungeon and dragons. ROFL

Pants
11-13-2009, 05:18 PM
That's pretty much what I said on my earlier post just not that exciting to me. You don't really think their is Life out there do you ? ROFL Let me guess your a trekkie and you love spending friday nights playing dungeon and dragons. ROFL

Holy shit. :clap:

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2009, 05:22 PM
You don't really think their is Life out there do you ?

Are you joking or are you serious?

The universe is expanding by the minute. It's enormous. To think that this planet is the only planet in the entire universe to support life is very 10,000 BC of you.

Rausch
11-13-2009, 05:29 PM
You don't really think their is Life out there do you ? ROFL Let me guess your a trekkie and you love spending friday nights playing dungeon and dragons. ROFL

It's basic math chuckle-nuts.

If there is no God and the creation of the universe is self-made-luck NOTHING happens only once. Randomly. Physics dictates patterns. Rare, even more rare, and almost impossible, but still PATTERNS. Nothing has ever happened only once.

And if you believe in God and think that he had the entire great wall of China to paint on but just walked up, threw a marker at it, and then said "I'm done."

Wow.

Your god's a lazy azzhole...

DumbHillbillies
11-13-2009, 05:39 PM
It's basic math chuckle-nuts.

If there is no God and the creation of the universe is self-made-luck NOTHING happens only once. Randomly. Physics dictates patterns. Rare, even more rare, and almost impossible, but still PATTERNS. Nothing has ever happened only once.

And if you believe in God and think that he had the entire great wall of China to paint on but just walked up, threw a marker at it, and then said "I'm done."

Wow.

Your god's a lazy azzhole...

Let me guess your a trekkie and you love spending friday night with notorious playing dungeons and dragons. You almost had sex once but you jizzed in you pants before you get them down.

Just giving you a little shit, gotta go late for D & D night.

Rausch
11-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Let me guess your a trekkie and you love spending friday night with notorious playing dungeons and dragons. You almost had sex once but you jizzed in you pants before you get them down.

Just giving you a little shit, gotta go late for D & D night.

CYA.

I get it...

Donger
11-13-2009, 05:58 PM
You don't really think their is Life out there do you ?

I think the odds are that there is, yes.

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2009, 06:04 PM
"There was this kid. Nkkka. He had an idea for a city on the moon. Nkkkka. His name was Moe Greene. And there isn't even a plaque Nkkka. Somebody put a bullet in his eye. Nobody knew who gave the order. Nkkka. When I heard about it I wasn't mad. I knew Moe had a big mouth. When he turned up Dead I said to myself. Nkkka. This is the business nkkka we've chosen!!! I Didn't ask who gave the order!! Because it had nothing to do with business!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

bevischief
11-13-2009, 06:23 PM
But how much of it is the Apollo spacecrafts liquid waste dumps...

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Buzz Aldrin is just imagining all the ice cubes that could make.
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
11-13-2009, 06:45 PM

Na, I just have an IQ higher then my age.

ILChief
11-13-2009, 07:22 PM
we should scrap NASA and use the money for something worth while.

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Mecca would know what NASA should do. And then 15 others would instantly agree.
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
11-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Mecca would know what NASA should do. And then 15 others wouldn't instantly agree.
Posted via Mobile Device

Never ending bitch session about under/over qualified astronauts would begin shortly after.

Disagreements about orbital speeds and endless posts about who we should have sent up and what departments in NASA are to blame for failure.

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Never ending bitch session about under/over qualified astronauts would begin shortly after.

Disagreements about orbital speeds and endless posts about who we should have sent up and what departments in NASA are to blame for failure.
"I can't believe they sent Armstrong and Aldrin when higher ranked astronauts like Schirra and Stafford were still on the board"
Posted via Mobile Device

alnorth
11-13-2009, 09:15 PM
we should scrap NASA and use the money for something worth while.

Its not like we are blowing our money on a new plasma TV that we cant really afford. In the world of money and budgets, NASA is basically a stop at starbucks 3 or 4 times a week. Could you save 20 bucks and brew your own Folgers at home? Sure. Will that savings really amount to much? no.

notorious
11-13-2009, 09:37 PM
"I can't believe they sent Armstrong and Aldrin when higher ranked astronauts like Schirra and Stafford were still on the board"
Posted via Mobile Device

This followed by,"Antifreeze" or "Impale yourself on an Aids Tree stump" would clog the board.

"Buzz is a half-step faster then Armstrong! Why did we keep him on the lander until late in the mission!@!#! Damnit Krantz!"

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2009, 09:42 PM
"Most Americans don't want a successful mission. They'll settle for a mediocre mission. They are afraid of taking a risk on a really talented young astronaut like Roger Chaffee and they'll go with a Eugene Cernan who will never be a franchise astronaut."
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
11-13-2009, 09:43 PM
"Most Americans don't want a successful mission. They'll settle for a mediocre mission. They are afraid of taking a risk on a really talented young astronaut like Roger Chaffee and they'll go with a Eugene Cernan who will never be a franchise astronaut."
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2009, 09:45 PM
"Lovell wasn't capable of walking on the moon. All the magazines had him rated as a Command Module Pilot, not a Commander. "
Posted via Mobile Device

GloryDayz
11-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Houston, we have a problem..

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2009, 10:00 PM
"Sure, all the Lovell lovers are going to make him out to be a hero for getting the ship back during garbage time. But when they could have made the moon he blew it."
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
11-13-2009, 10:12 PM
"Sure, all the Lovell lovers are going to make him out to be a hero for getting the ship back during garbage time. But when they could have made the moon he blew it."
Posted via Mobile Device

You know, I think you're pretty weak hiding behind a cellphone.

Are you trying to convince us that you are NOT a dupe and that you don't have a computer with internet access?

If so, EPIC FAIL.

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2009, 11:03 PM
You know, I think you're pretty weak hiding behind a cellphone.

Are you trying to convince us that you are NOT a dupe and that you don't have a computer with internet access?

If so, EPIC FAIL.
Its a hell of a lot easier posting on the phone anywhere I might be than confining myself to only posting on the fucking computer. Is that alright with you, jackass?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
11-13-2009, 11:16 PM
The apes are drinking moon water. On the moon. Moon apes.

HemiEd
11-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Awesome.

It really is, what an amazing development. Sputnik to this, in the last 52 years.

HemiEd
11-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Yes, it really is a big deal for many reasons, those listed - human consumption, fuel production, etc. Though one of the biggest is if it is found on the moon it is really possible to find it elsewhere ..... life beyond the human.

Don't forget, you are talking to the XBox generation, it wouldn't seem like a big deal to them.

Pioli Zombie
11-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Ok now that we know something could live there, its time to destroy it, right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-14-2009, 08:58 AM
JFC; like we haven't known this shit "off the record" for 30+years now. Do you think those craft were taking all of that freshwater across the galaxy to the "Great Aquarium in the Sky" for fuck's sake?

Xbox or Talking Box; stupidity favors no technology or generation.

Crush
11-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

We need to kill it with fire.

Crush
11-14-2009, 09:12 AM

Moon Apes would be a kick ass name for a band.

notorious
11-14-2009, 10:02 AM
We need to kill it with fire.

Just like in The Thing. Call Kurt Russell up and let's kick some fucking ass!

Dr. Zaius and Cornelius are welcome, too, GoChiefs.

demonhero
11-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

^this

milkman
11-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Something like 400k workers on the project; all getting paid.

That's a lot of people you're paying to perpetuate a hoax.

"Bob" Dobbs
11-14-2009, 01:42 PM
That's a lot of people you're paying to perpetuate a hoax.OK. There's a joke here somewhere re: Obama, but I don't wanna send this to DC. ROFL

bevischief
11-14-2009, 04:40 PM

Worthless without pics...