PDA

View Full Version : Football Unexpected Gift Rejuvenates Tomlinson

Buck
11-15-2009, 11:04 PM
LT had 96 Yards and 2 TDs today and ran w/ the authority that I haven't seen in a while, after the game, at his press conference, he explained why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAN DIEGO -- LaDainian Tomlinson's blessings simply flowed on Sunday. Two hours before his San Diego Chargers claimed a share of first place in the AFC West with a 31-23 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles, the NFL's No. 3 all-time touchdown king received a gift from his wife, LaTorsha.

Tomlinson found it in front of his locker at Qualcomm Stadium, a decorative purple bag -- "TCU colors," he explained later -- tied with a bow. The attached note implored "Please Open Immediately - LaTorsha." Inside was a box, and it contained was a pregnancy test. A positive test.

"My wife is pregnant," an emotional Tomlinson announced on a day when one of the NFL's greatest running backs reached two significant milestones: His season-high 96 yards on 24 carries pushed him past Thurman Thomas and Franco Harris for 12th place on the NFL's all-time rushing list with 12,145 yards.

And Tomlinson's two rushing touchdowns gave him 146 for his career, surpassing Marcus Allen for sole possession of third place on the all-time list.

Tomlinson was humbled by and appreciative of his football achievements Sunday -- not to mention the 6-3 Chargers' return to relevancy thanks to a four-game winning streak and quarterback Philip Rivers' career-best 80 percent completion percentage. Rivers was 20 of 25 for 231 yards and two touchdowns.

Tomlinson was also thankful San Diego will get a chance to break that division deadlock with the Denver Broncos -- losers of three in a row -- next Sunday at Invesco Field, and gratified that he was a key part of a victory that confirmed Rivers wasn't out of his mind a month ago when he proclaimed his San Diego team would erase Denver's seemingly insurmountable 3 1/2-game lead in the AFC West.

But that purple bag ...

"It was weird. I thought it was going to be a necklace or something," said Tomlinson, grinning widely. "But it was a pregnancy test in there. It was pretty special.

"Years ago, we lost a child so we've been trying again. God works in mysterious ways, and it's a blessing we're pregnant again."

Tomlinson and his wife, who were college sweethearts, already had a name for that baby. She was a girl, due in June 2005. Mckiah Renee's ultrasound picture was so special, L.T. carried it around with him everywhere. The couple eagerly decorated her baby room.

But when Tomlinson returned home from Hawaii following the '05 Pro Bowl, complications with the pregnancy stole Mckiah away from LaDainian and LaTorsha, who had wanted her so badly.

Sunday's news that another baby is coming, after so much heartbreak, was more than motivation for Tomlinson's milestone day. It was like a guiding hand was lifting him past Eagles tackles, and erasing the doubts of anyone who thought the 30-year-old former NFL rushing champion was past his prime.

"It absolutely was," he said, "because there is a special thing about having a child and your wife being pregnant. I can't explain it, but it was."

Tomlinson called LaTorsha as soon as he left the field, just after San Diego's defense held off a fourth-quarter charge by Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, who threw a pair of touchdown passes in the final period to pull Philadelphia (6-4) to within a touchdown's strike of the Chargers, 28-23, with 7:18 remaining.

"I said 'You're amazing,'" Tomlinson told his wife, who had held back the news for five days. "I actually cried for about five minutes."

How will Tomlinson process everything that happened to him Sunday -- the baby news, the career achievements, the important Chargers victory in which he played such a significant role?

"I don't know. I'm thankful. I'm thankful," he said. "I'm just so excited."

-King-
11-15-2009, 11:06 PM
That's nice and all.... but dead serious...what the fuck does it have to do with anything?

milkman
11-15-2009, 11:07 PM
I thought sure the gift was going to be from Merriman......

Buck
11-15-2009, 11:07 PM
That's nice and all.... but dead serious...what the fuck does it have to do with anything?

It has to do with me wanting to post it, so just ignore it if you don't like it.

CaliforniaChief
11-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Nice story.

Buck
11-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Also, after today, here are the all time leaders in Touchdowns

1. Jerry Rice 207
2. Emmitt Smith 175
3. LT 146
4. Marcus Allen 145

T-post Tom
11-15-2009, 11:10 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dVcQc4AK5X4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dVcQc4AK5X4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hammock Parties
Also, after today, here are the all time leaders in Touchdowns

1. Jerry Rice 207
2. Emmitt Smith 175
3. LT 146
4. Marcus Allen 145

Masturbate to that?

-King-
It has to do with me wanting to post it, so just ignore it if you don't like it.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8805/sorryhurtfeelings.jpg

Reaper16
11-15-2009, 11:13 PM
That's an awesome story. If you don't think so then you've lost perspective.

milkman
11-15-2009, 11:15 PM
That's an awesome story. If you don't think so then you've lost perspective.

I know I had it here somewhere....

Buck
11-15-2009, 11:16 PM
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8805/sorryhurtfeelings.jpg

You didn't hurt shit n00b.

BryanBusby
11-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Well at least Tomlinson can hit the hole somewhere still, I guess.

milkman
11-15-2009, 11:19 PM

LMAO

dirk digler
11-15-2009, 11:21 PM

LMAO LMAO

LiL stumppy
11-16-2009, 12:05 AM
cool story. always like LT

DaneMcCloud
11-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Uh, if I were Dean Spanos, I'd be fucking pissed.

Where was this effort earlier in the season? WTF is going on?

I'm happy for him as a person (I hope he's a better father than his father) but WTF?

PERFORM ON THE FIELD, MOTHERFUCKER!

Demonpenz
11-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Probably should celebrate when the baby is actually born.

The Bad Guy
11-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Great story. Good for him and his wife.

I just hope the pregnancy goes well this time.

LaChapelle
11-16-2009, 07:48 AM
The kid is his like Michael Jackson's are his.

Quesadilla Joe
11-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Take away this homers thread starting privileges this isn't Dolt Planet.:cuss:

milkman
11-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Take away this homers thread starting privileges this isn't Dolt Planet.:cuss:

We like Buck, he's a solid contributor.

You know, the opposite of you.

geronimo
11-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Very cool story. This story reminds us that even with all the hype, commentating, mega millions and analysis these guys are still human beings. As a former horned frog, i've always respected LT as a professional, now even more respect for him as a person.

Chiefaholic
11-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Cool story to hear, I wish nothing but the best for LT and his wife. Being a parent is larger than life itself. I wouldn't expect our Planet pillowbiter and a couple other pricks here to understand the significance of the story.

stormtrooper
11-16-2009, 10:47 AM
really who cares.. just proves LT has been slacking cause hes lazy and thinks hes a rockstar

gblowfish
11-16-2009, 10:52 AM
I admire LT. He runs hard, he doesn't have a big mouth, he's a winner.

Not like our dear departed Leon, who is basically the absolute opposite of LT.

Hope this turn ends well for him and his wife.

L.A. Chieffan
11-16-2009, 10:54 AM

i dont care who u are

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-16-2009, 10:58 AM
And next week his wife drops the bomb that it's not his kid as he blows out his ACL in their loss to Denver.