PDA

View Full Version : Football I love Maurice Jones-Drew

RedThat
11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Heck of a football player. Tough as nails, smart as hell. Not the most talented football player, but he has both a great attitude and work ethic.

Did any of you see what he did in yesterdays game? He took a knee at the one, instead of scoring a touchdown to give his team the lead with a buck and change left on the clock in the 4th quarter. He set his team up in good position to drain the clock and kick a last second FG to win the game.

Point is, he could of scored in the endzone to give his team the lead, but also give the Jets enough time to drive the field and score. He put his team in position to win and negated an opportunity away from the Jets. what a great heads up play!:thumb: Thats the way its done. He is the prototypical smart, tough football player. Imo, I think he is Jacksonville's best player.

BossChief
11-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Did you see his fumble on the goal line? If he hadnt fumbled, it was a nonissue.

I agree it was a very smart move and he is a great player though.

Hes no Jamaal Charles though....:p

kstater
11-16-2009, 02:34 PM
It's a fucking moronic move. If you're down, take the guaranteed points. Don't kneel on it to "burn some clock". What happens if the FG is blocked or shanked? If you already have the lead, then yeah, but not if your down.

Chiefnj2
11-16-2009, 02:35 PM
What was funny was that the Jets were letting him score on that play. They were instructed to let him score so they could get the ball back with as much time as possible.

BossChief
11-16-2009, 02:40 PM
It's a ****ing moronic move. If you're down, take the guaranteed points. Don't kneel on it to "burn some clock". What happens if the FG is blocked or shanked? If you already have the lead, then yeah, but not if your down.

:BS:
ignorant comment

It shows what you really know about football.

You dont give the opposing team the ball, down 6 points, with almost two minutes to go. Bad things happen if that team isnt the Chiefs.

RedThat
11-16-2009, 02:44 PM
It's a ****ing moronic move. If you're down, take the guaranteed points. Don't kneel on it to "burn some clock". What happens if the FG is blocked or shanked? If you already have the lead, then yeah, but not if your down.

How is it moronic?

The Jets had no timeouts left, and he knew that. That is why they were gonna let him score, but instead he took the knee so they had no chance to stop the clock. I don't see anything wrong with that concept.

As a player, Im sure he is not thinking about a FG being blocked or shanked:rolleyes:

Red and Gold Mania
11-16-2009, 02:45 PM
His coach instructed him to do so. Smart play regardless.

DaWolf
11-16-2009, 02:52 PM
The Jags are riding Maurice Jones-Drew's cape.

Now that was a weird end to a game at the Meadowlands. At the two-minute warning Sunday, the Jags trailed the Jets 22-21. New York had no timeouts left, and Jacksonville was going down the field in big chunks. When running backs coach Kennedy Pola and coach Jack Del Rio told Jones-Drew to take a knee at the one-yard line if he got that far, he said, "Really?'' And they explained why: The Jets were without timeouts, and if he could get to the one and then the Jags could bleed the clock, they could kick a field goal and go home with the win.

So on the next play, Jones-Drew burst through the middle -- unbeknownst to him, the Jets were instructed to not tackle -- and went down by himself at the one. A couple of Jets yelled, "C'mon! Score!'' Said Jones-Drew: "The Jets guys were laughing. One of them said, 'Why'd you do that?' '' The Jags let the clock run down, and Josh Scobee kicked the winning field goal at the gun.

"Great job not being selfish,'' Del Rio told Jones-Drew.

Now the Jags are 5-4, winners of three of four, and only a game out of the Wild Card. And Jones-Drew, with 1,080 rushing-receiving yards, is showing no signs of slowing in his first year as an every-down back.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/11/15/mmqb/?eref=sihpT1#ixzz0X3eUTBGZ

Hydrae
11-16-2009, 02:56 PM
That is just too funny. One team wants the other team to score and they say no way, we are taking a knee here at the one. ROFL

rrl308
11-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Didn't Brian Westbrook do the same thing last year or the year before?

Rain Man
11-16-2009, 03:42 PM

I don't quite get that either. I understand the theoretical strategy, but I'd rather have 7 points and make the other team score a touchdown than to run the clock down and bank on the field goal. Bad snaps and missed holds happen.

Maybe if you're tied, but if I'm behind I want the score.

The Franchise
11-16-2009, 03:48 PM
I don't quite get that either. I understand the theoretical strategy, but I'd rather have 7 points and make the other team score a touchdown than to run the clock down and bank on the field goal. Bad snaps and missed holds happen.

This.

chiefbowe82
11-16-2009, 03:54 PM

good grief *spock*

Demonpenz
11-16-2009, 04:13 PM
I am with rainman on this one, maybe you are ahead, but I never want the game on the shoulders of a the long snapper and kicker and punter

Chiefnj2
11-16-2009, 04:16 PM

You don't put the ball back in the hands of Mark Sanchez, ever.

alpha_omega
11-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Did any of you see what he did in yesterdays game?

Yes, he did exactly what his coach told him to.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-16-2009, 04:52 PM
You don't put the ball back in the hands of Mark Sanchez, ever.

ROFL Moron.

LaChapelle
11-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Didn't he put Roidman on his ass
or have I got my players mixed up

Consistent1
11-16-2009, 05:23 PM
I would never pull that stunt in that situation being behind.All the big `strategy` genius types like to overthink shit.If it turned the other way.....which it easily could have....think how bad peeps on here would rail on that choice.No timeouts.....our defense really must suck bad to not want to take a damn lead when we are behind. It is on of those c`mon man deals IMO...whateva...
Posted via Mobile Device

58-4ever
11-16-2009, 06:32 PM
I love him because he is on my fantasy team and scores a TD almost every game.

jjjayb
11-16-2009, 07:34 PM
How would everyone feel about this if they missed the field goal? Would we still be singing his praises? I personally thought it was a dumb move. It would've made sense if you were leading, but not if you're trailing. Too many things can go wrong on the field goal attempt. Besides that, he's on my fantasy team and cost me 6 points! :cuss:

Marcellus
11-16-2009, 07:40 PM
How would everyone feel about this if they missed the field goal? Would we still be singing his praises? I personally thought it was a dumb move. It would've made sense if you were leading, but not if you're trailing. Too many things can go wrong on the field goal attempt. Besides that, he's on my fantasy team and cost me 6 points! :cuss:

They were lighting up the Jags pretty good on Monday Night Countdown over this.

The difference in what MJD did and what Westbrook did is the Eagles were winning in the game Westbrook did it.

Pretty risky move if you ask me. Take the points when you are down.

Saul Good
11-16-2009, 07:46 PM

It was absolutely the right move. This was a shorter field goal than an extra point. Extra points are 99%+ in the NFL. There is a much better chance that the Jets drive down the field and score than there is of missing the kick.

DaFace
11-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Sounds like a pretty stupid move to me unless you subscribe to the Belichick way of thinking: defense can't stop anyone. You take the points.

MahiMike
11-16-2009, 08:00 PM
His coach instructed him to do so. Smart play regardless.

This. MJD had no say in the matter. I loved the coaching myself. Not a big Del Rio fan but he does gamble more than most by-the-book NFL coaches.

Saul Good
11-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Sounds like a pretty stupid move to me unless you subscribe to the Belichick way of thinking: defense can't stop anyone. You take the points.

What are the odds of missing an extra point versus the odds of giving up a TD in 2 minutes?

RJ
11-16-2009, 09:31 PM
I just saw that replay. What a stupid call by the coaches. Don't score when you're losing the game? Idiotic. When did Marty Mornhinweg become the Jags coach?

Joe Seahawk
11-16-2009, 09:38 PM

He's on my team, I lost by 2 this week! I also have Colston who fumbled diving into the endzone, he ended up with a total of -1

Cutler was my QB :banghead:

RedThat
11-16-2009, 09:42 PM
I just saw that replay. What a stupid call by the coaches. Don't score when you're losing the game? Idiotic. When did Marty Mornhinweg become the Jags coach?

If it doesn't work, it's stupid.

If it does work, it's smart.

Bottomline, it worked and it ended up being a smart call. The right call. Its all based on strategy. Del Rio was strategizing on how he could setup his team in a very good position to win the game and did a damn good job of it. He outcoached Ryan in a critical situation during the game. Jets wanted the Jags to score because they had no timeouts to stop the clock, Del Rio sensed what the Jets wanted and counteracted by taking a knee to drain the clock to set up his team to kick the game winning field goal.

RedThat
11-16-2009, 09:47 PM

No we wouldn't be singing praises obviously, but, that was a chip shot of a field goal basically. Scobee is a good kicker, and chip shots are very very rarely missed or blocked. You know that 90% of the time those kicks are made. Del Rio gave his team a very good chance to win and what better way to do it then setting up your kicker with a chip shot of a field goal in the dying seconds of the game?

Deberg_1990
11-16-2009, 09:51 PM

It would have been a bad call had the Jets still had timeouts.