PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Why Bowe's suspension is so much more crushing than LJ's issues...

DaWolf
11-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Why Bowe's suspension is so much more crushing than LJ's issues (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1106)

Two weeks ago, Dwayne Bowe stood with me in a corner of the Chiefs practice facility that few outsiders are invited into these days. It's a private hallway for players and coaches, and on this afternoon after practice, Bowe was trying to have a conversation.

But there was a problem. Mark Bradley was joking with a teammate, and it was too loud for Bowe's liking.

"Hey!" Bowe yelled. "Trying to have a conversation here!"

Sure enough, the older Bradley turned down the volume on his conversation. Bowe apologized and got back to his talk. For the first time, I saw Bowe playing the role of a mature, thoughtful player who had grown up and, if he hadn't yet reached his potential, a man who was on the way there and seemed determined to do what it took to get there -- even if that meant growing up.

That day, Bowe talked about his relationship with coach Todd Haley. He talked about maturity. He talked about greatness.

On Tuesday, all three of those conversation points took huge hits, when Bowe was suspended four games for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs. Whatever growing up Bowe has done, today's news clearly illustrates that there is far more that Bowe has to do.

The timing couldn't be worse for the Chiefs. This will soil Sunday's win against the Raiders, in which Bowe led the team in receiving yards. Haley had said last week and again Sunday that the team's beleaguered wide-receivers corps was finally showing signs of progress, and no one was responsible for more growth than Dwayne Bowe.

The third-year wideout reported to the team's offseason conditioning program a staggering 30 pounds overweight. He plays a position that hinges sometimes on a swing of three or four pounds, and Bowe had packed on 10 times that amount of weight in only a few months. Haley demoted Bowe, bullied him, disparaged him, embarrassed him. Somehow, it worked. Or seemed to. Bowe lost the weight and became the chiseled wideout that Haley envisioned so many months ago. It really didn't take that long, either.

Now, everyone will wonder if Bowe's transformation was legitimate. Did he lose those 30 pounds with hard work or with banned substances? More, people will wonder how long this has been going on. What else regarding Bowe can be attributed to these kinds of questions?

The problem for the Chiefs is that Bowe, unlike Larry Johnson, is part of the future. Bowe is 25 years old and is a huge part of what Kansas City sees as its foundation. While the Chiefs experimented by bringing in journeyman wide receivers, hoping to strike gold, Bowe was always the gem of the unit. He needed only a coat or two of polish.

When Johnson was suspended and then released for detrimental conduct, the Chiefs were confident they could move on. Other talented players were there. Cutting Johnson was a safe move. But losing Bowe, even if temporary, casts a long shadow on the future. This will elicit questions about everything Bowe does as he moves forward. It will raise questions about whether Haley's conditioning regimen is too demanding of players, and whether it at least tempts them to turn to shortcuts. It will raise questions about this team's discipline and judgment. Regardless of how those questions are answered, this cruel fact remains: A core member of the Chiefs future has made a colossal lapse in judgment, and it will leave a stain on his career.

Remembering training camp and all the bumps Bowe took, advancing into the regular season when he was rejuvenated, and as recently as this past Sunday in Oakland, I can't help but wonder now if everything we've seen from one of the Chiefs' gems was nothing but fool's gold all along.

GoHuge
11-17-2009, 02:17 PM
This
Posted via Mobile Device

GloryDayz
11-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Well, maybe he thought he'd get time off for good behavior...

OnTheWarpath15
11-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Jesus Christ, Babb.

He didn't get caught with an 8-ball and a room full of hookers.

Why exactly is everyone over-reacting to this?

All year, people have bitched about how shitty DB is, and now people are acting like his loss over the next 4 games is costing us our season.

Get a fucking grip, folks.

teedubya
11-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Haley better get another guy off the street.

alpha_omega
11-17-2009, 02:27 PM

THAT would be a story!

Rausch
11-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Now, everyone will wonder if Bowe's transformation was legitimate. Did he lose those 30 pounds with hard work or with banned substances?

Um, steroids don't make you LOSE weight. Iif you don't lift shit you just sit there and get fat.

The Rick
11-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Jesus Christ, Babb.

All year, people have bitched about how shitty DB is, and now people are acting like his loss over the next 4 games is costing us our season.

Get a ****ing grip, folks.
Exactly. He screwed up, but this whole article is a bit of a reach. I don't think it affects his future with the team one bit.

Frazod
11-17-2009, 02:40 PM
This season has been in the shitter since day one. This might make a difference in a couple of games against weaker competition, but if we had four Bowes on the field at the same time we'd still get destroyed by Pittsburgh. And we still suck, we still aren't going to the playoffs, and we'll still draft in the top five.

Assuming he doesn't get gigged again, all this means is that next year's Bowe will have four games less wear on him.

Goldmember
11-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Exactly. He screwed up, but this whole article is a bit of a reach. I don't think it affects his future with the team one bit.

Sure it does. If he fucks up again, the suspension will be longer. It could have an effect like it did with Jared Allen.

MikeMaslowski
11-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Dwayne "Roidman" Bowe.... just doesn't have quite the ring to it. I for one am saddened.

Rausch
11-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Sure it does. If he ****s up again, the suspension will be longer. It could have an effect like it did with Jared Allen.

Fucking didn't think that argument out all the way there now did you, sparky?

raybec 4
11-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Jesus Christ, Babb.

So you're saying D Bowe is no Michael Irvin

Rausch
11-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Dwayne "Roidman" Bowe.... just doesn't have quite the ring to it. I for one am saddened.

I think it's pretty cool.

Like kidney stones...

DaWolf
11-17-2009, 02:46 PM

I think the important thing to note is that this was done prior to his "maturing" this season, and obviously everyone hopes a lesson has been learned and we can move on. Obviously Bowe is a young guy who is going to make mistakes. If the light has turned on as the beginning of this piece indicates, he'll be fine long term...

Tribal Warfare
11-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Jesus Christ, Babb.

Get a fucking grip, folks.

I concur, Babb is a fucking drama queen

MikeMaslowski
11-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Dwayne "Tha Juice" Bowe?

Red Dawg
11-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Over half the player all have at one point. He messed up but he'll be fine unless he does it again.

Jmart
11-17-2009, 02:50 PM
At least it seems like he is accepting responsibility shows some maturity IMO.

MGRS13
11-17-2009, 03:05 PM
I can't believe Haley would get mad at a guy who plays WR for showing up a mere 30 pounds over weight. Where is whitlock to confirm my idea that fat WR are the norm in the NFL. And no matter what any of you say on this board I totally blame Haley for this, if he would have just let the guy play at (what would that be 240-255) this wouldn't be happening. I bet a grizzled old rehashed coach would have let him play.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Babb sucks a butt yet again.

Gdaddy
11-17-2009, 03:24 PM
at least Haley doesnt have to worry about who to sit out this week, Wade will be active again.....Thank God, who catches a better 2 yard out than Wade?

Buzzsaw
11-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Over half the player all have at one point.

I agree. Wait, what?

Goldmember
11-17-2009, 04:23 PM
****ing didn't think that argument out all the way there now did you, sparky?

How does something you did in your past not affect your future, in the NFL?

dtebbe
11-17-2009, 04:28 PM
So you're saying D Bowe is no Michael Irvin

:LOL:
EXACTLY..

Red Beans
11-17-2009, 05:29 PM
He got busted for use of diruetics(sp?) Seems odd, I wonder if he used them to lose weight or he was using them to try and beat a UA?

"Bob" Dobbs
11-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Likely he was using the diuretics simply to lose weight. If true, and he really HAS matured as the OP says, it really shouldn't end up being that big a deal.

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Whatever.

Simply Red
11-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Jesus Christ, Babb.

mmhmm, i concur.

Braincase
11-17-2009, 06:09 PM
From crack baby to roid head. What have we learned, boys and girls?

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-17-2009, 06:22 PM
From crack baby to roid head. What have we learned, boys and girls?

That more people should do drugs.

In fact, I want you stop whatever you're doing right this instant and go get stoned.

All of you.

"Bob" Dobbs
11-17-2009, 06:27 PM
That more people should do drugs.

In fact, I want you stop whatever you're doing right this instant and go get stoned.

All of you.OK. Now what?

MahiMike
11-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Damn, there goes the playoffs...

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-17-2009, 06:54 PM
OK. Now what?

Contemplate the sound of one hand clapping.

vailpass
11-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Legalize PEDs and regulate them in all pro sports. Let the gladiators use their bodies as they see fit.

MichaelH
11-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Jesus Christ, Babb.

This seems to be very common not only this year but last year too. I guess network TV sucking is taking its toll.