PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Question for Electronics Gurus

Alphaman
11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Is it possible to copy a program I've recorded with my DirecTV DVR onto my laptop? If so, how do I go about it?

In the words of Denzel Washington in the movie "Philadelphia", "Explain it to me like I'm a 3rd grader".

Thanks.

The Bad Guy
11-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Ralphy Boy will be along shortly to tell you this is illegal.

Jack
11-19-2009, 09:44 AM
I think DVR that DTV has is TIVO or a variant of that. In that case, you need to be pretty adept at UNIX language to do a "copy" routine.

Baby Lee
11-19-2009, 09:52 AM
What's your DVR model?

In general, if you want full quality, it's not '3rd grader' work. I know in the case of Dishnetwork, there's a program out there that facilitates DVR-->PC transfer, but it involves opening the case and plugging the HD directly into your MOBO via SATA. Again, in the case of Dish, their content 'inside the DVR' is unencrypted, but everything that passes over the USB gets encrypted. ie, they allow you to expand your capacity with an external USB HD, but you can't disconnent it and transfer content elsewhere.

There's still the possibility of outputting analog and recording content in real time with a TV capture card.

CH13FS
11-19-2009, 10:45 AM
There's still the possibility of outputting analog and recording content in real time with a TV capture card.

This would probably be your best bet, or get a tv tuner capture card combo and cut the tivo out completely

Alphaman
11-20-2009, 09:20 AM
OK. It sounds like that is going to be too technical for me. I found the clip I need on Youtube. Is there a way to copy a youtube video onto my harddrive?

Rain Man
11-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Maybe you can find a third-grader to help you, alphaman.

(Sorry, that's all I've got. I got behind the tech curve in about 1987. See me for any questions about Galaxian, Defender, or Stargate.)

pr_capone
11-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Is it possible to copy a program I've recorded with my DirecTV DVR onto my laptop? If so, how do I go about it?

In the words of Denzel Washington in the movie "Philadelphia", "Explain it to me like I'm a 3rd grader".

Thanks.

You could try and plug everything in and work out some Unix routine to make it work OR...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156023&cm_re=usb_video_capture-_-12-156-023-_-Product

$32 bucks and you can not only capture video from your DVR box but also any other devices that operate with RCA jacks like a camcorder or a VCR (if you have old tapes you want to keep in a digital format).

It looks like the unit comes with capture software so you should be all set.

jidar
11-20-2009, 10:34 AM
whatever it is you want to get on your computer is already available on the Internet somewhere. You just have to know where to look

Blindside58
11-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Download.com has an application to download youtube videos in it's top 50 most downloaded...can't remember the name though.

Crush
11-20-2009, 12:15 PM
The Firefox extension DownloadHelper can download youtube videos for you.

Rain Man
11-20-2009, 12:17 PM
whatever it is you want to get on your computer is already available on the Internet somewhere. You just have to know where to look

Anyone know where I can find a map to buried treasure in the Denver area?