PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Steelers 1993 Playoff Game

MahiMike
11-20-2009, 07:18 AM
I can still remember Joe Montana completing TWO 4th and 10 passes on the game winning drive!

Was Cowher still coaching for the Chiefs or was he their head coach then?

1993: The Steelers get off to a good start again winning six of their first nine games. However, after the Steelers lost four of their next six games they needed to win and get help just to get the sixth and final seed in the playoffs. The Steelers did their part by beating the Cleveland Browns 16-9. They would get their help as the Miami Dolphins and New York Jets each lost allowing the Steelers to make the playoffs with a 9-7 record. In the 3-6 game the Steelers held a lead late in the 4th Quarter in Kansas City against the Chiefs. However, the Chiefs would rally to send the game to overtime where the Chiefs broke the Steelers heart with a 27-24 win.

pr_capone
11-20-2009, 07:19 AM

Cowher started as the HC of the Steelers in 92

Mojo Jojo
11-20-2009, 07:43 AM
I can still remember Joe Montana completing TWO 4th and 10 passes on the game winning drive!

1993: The Steelers get off to a good start again winning six of their first nine games. However, after the Steelers lost four of their next six games they needed to win and get help just to get the sixth and final seed in the playoffs. The Steelers did their part by beating the Cleveland Browns 16-9. They would get their help as the Miami Dolphins and New York Jets each lost allowing the Steelers to make the playoffs with a 9-7 record. In the 3-6 game the Steelers held a lead late in the 4th Quarter in Kansas City against the Chiefs. However, the Chiefs would rally to send the game to overtime where the Chiefs broke the Steelers heart with a 27-24 win.

I remember the Chiefs D stopping the Steelers and Nick missing the game winning field goal. Good thing the Defense held again and Nick finally made a field goal that mattered. Overlooked in that game is that Dave Krieg came in for Joe and he threw a 23-yard TD pass to J.J. Birden to keep the Chiefs in the game.

MichaelH
11-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Oh the good old days. It would be nice for the same results Sunday.

Javabean
11-20-2009, 08:25 AM
I think that was the last game on the artificial turf, too. I remember a late punt block and return that setup the game tying TD but forget who blocked it. And of course Montana's big time 4th down TD pass is forever burned into my memory. That was a great game. Hard to believe that game and the next against Houston were the team's last playoff wins, it was so long ago.

Mojo Jojo
11-20-2009, 08:34 AM
I think that was the last game on the artificial turf, too. I remember a late punt block and return that setup the game tying TD but forget who blocked it. And of course Montana's big time 4th down TD pass is forever burned into my memory. That was a great game. Hard to believe that game and the next against Houston were the team's last playoff wins, it was so long ago.

Keith Cash with the block and Freddie Jones with the return.

ChiefEd
11-20-2009, 08:36 AM
If I'm not mistaken, it was Keith Cash (TE) who blocked that punt. Anyone verify that?

Mojo Jojo
11-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Yes it was Keith and Freddie returned it to the 9. Chiefs gained just 2-yards on the first three plays and Joe hit Tim Barnett on 4th and goal from the 7.

Demonpenz
11-20-2009, 08:51 AM
i have the game on my HD, the game televised afterwards was a wild card matchup between The lyons and the packers and Dan Derdorff had this little throw to dick vermiel who was an analyst at the time. lets go to analyst Dick Vermiel... Dick Vermiel : The packers have a young QB in Brett Favre who is exciting but must limit turnovers today.

Hammock Parties
11-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Look who commented on my youtube channel!

http://i.imgur.com/BxLIv.jpg

BossChief
11-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Nice!!!

Titty Meat
11-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Wow that's awesome

Deberg_1990
11-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Nice. Wonder what he's up to these days?
Posted via Mobile Device

FlaChief58
11-08-2012, 07:24 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_j9QeUoPOi4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rabblerouser
11-08-2012, 07:26 PM
i have the game on my HD, the game televised afterwards was a wild card matchup between The lyons and the packers and Dan Derdorff had this little throw to dick vermiel who was an analyst at the time. lets go to analyst Dick Vermiel... Dick Vermiel : The packers have a young QB in Brett Favre who is exciting but must limit turnovers today.

I have the Steelers game and the Pack-Lions game on VHS - Favre hit Sterling Sharpe with a game-winning TD as time expired.

I used to use that tape to get me through offseasons as a teenager...

Now, if I were to watch it, I'd fucking weep.

Valiant
11-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Is that the game we had a completion by bouncing the pass on the ground or was that the oilers?

Gonzo
11-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Either insurance, car sales or real estate I'm sure. He was average at WR by Montana got everything he could out of them.

Titty Meat
11-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Harlan > Holthus

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_f7c31h5nWc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Phobia
11-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

He sells a healthy chocolate substance in a MLM. Does pretty well for himself.

Gonzo
11-08-2012, 07:35 PM
I was 16 when KC won this game...

Since then I...

Finished school, got married, moved to NE, bought a house, had a son and just entered year 14 of my career.
JFC the Chiefs suck. I used to think about how terrible it would be to be a Bengals/Jets/Rams/Seahawks/Colts/Bucs/Saints fan. They were always the perennial losers back then. Now the Chiefs are worse then any of them. Really? Almost TWENTY FUCKING YEARS without a fucking playoff win??? Fucking really? If I wasn't so goddamned emotionally invested in this team...

Radar Chief
11-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Who was the Pittsburg linebacker that got ejected from the game and thought he wanted to climb into the crowd over their heckling?

Gonzo
11-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Who was the Pittsburg linebacker that got ejected from the game and thought he wanted to climb into the crowd over their heckling?

Burress I think? Lloyd Burress? That sound right?

Deberg_1990
11-08-2012, 07:38 PM
I wonder what the average cost of a gallon of gas was the last time the Chiefs won a playoff game?
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo
11-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Greg Lloyd maybe...

Gonzo
11-08-2012, 07:40 PM
I wonder what the average cost of a gallon of gas was the last time the Chiefs won a playoff game?
Posted via Mobile Device

.98 I'd bet. I started FUCKING DRIVING that fucking year.

Brock
11-08-2012, 07:41 PM

It was a guy named DJ Johnson, a corner. My friend hit him with a beer.

Titty Meat
11-08-2012, 07:42 PM
I was in 2nd grade the last time the Chiefs won a playoff game ROFL

Brock
11-08-2012, 07:43 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1004743/index.htm

Barnett's good fortune came about partly because of the self-destructive behavior of starting Steeler cornerback D.J. Johnson on the Chiefs' third series of the game. Inexplicably, after a play had concluded, Johnson began kicking a fallen Barnett in the face. "He was hitting me with a chair, a hammer, something," Barnett said afterward. There were no weapons, but Johnson was ejected and he was definitely missed. Two rookies, Deon Figures and Willie Williams, were in the Steeler secondary when Barnett scored his touchdown.

Gonzo
11-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Maybe it was Lloyd Bridges.

Radar Chief
11-08-2012, 07:47 PM
It was a guy named DJ Johnson, a corner. My friend hit him with a beer.

:LOL: Sounds right, I just remember he got discrouraged from that idea very quickly.

Brock
11-08-2012, 07:54 PM
I also remember Kevin Ross was over on the Steelers sideline after one play and he was blindsided with a clothesline by Carlton Haselrig, who wasn't even in the game at the time. I don't remember if Ross came back into the game after that or not.

correction, it was this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Strzelczyk

Reerun_KC
11-08-2012, 07:57 PM
IF it wasnt for Montana, that game might still be going on...

Cowher vs Marty is like a getting raped by someone with a rusty chainsaw...

I hate both Cowher and Marty...

Gonzo
11-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Christopher Lloyd?

Al Bundy
11-08-2012, 08:07 PM
I remember the next game more.. wasn't that the one that Keith Cash hit that big Buddy Ryan sign with the football after he scored?

Mile High Mania
11-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Price of gas was a little over a $1 per gallon and Montana is now 56. Clark hunt is only 47.

Ebolapox
11-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Lloyd christmas?

rabblerouser
11-08-2012, 08:31 PM
I remember the next game more.. wasn't that the one that Keith Cash hit that big Buddy Ryan sign with the football after he scored?

yep.

Dierdorf : 'In your FACE, Buddy Ryan!'

Have that one on tape, too...

It's a CLASSIC - vintage Montana, vintage Chiefs.

*sigh*:(

Reerun_KC
11-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Montana is the ONLY fucking reason Marty won 2 of his 3 playoff games in his KC tenure...

Marty is a fucking failure of epic porportions... I hate the SOB more than I hate getting my ball sack raped by a 400 lbs gorilla.

Easy 6
11-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Price of gas was a little over a $1 per gallon and Montana is now 56.

56, thats all?

Yep, lets see what he has left... KC needs veteran leadership.

sd4chiefs
11-08-2012, 09:49 PM
I was at that game. The wind chill index was like 15 below zero.

Agent V
11-08-2012, 10:16 PM
I don't remember this BECAUSE I WAS FOUR FUCKING YEARS OLD.

MotherfuckerJones
11-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Why did Cowher have a Chiefs sticker on his headset when he was HC of Steelers??

Radar Chief
11-09-2012, 08:17 AM
I also remember Kevin Ross was over on the Steelers sideline after one play and he was blindsided with a clothesline by Carlton Haselrig, who wasn't even in the game at the time. I don't remember if Ross came back into the game after that or not.

correction, it was this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Strzelczyk

Wow, lovely life story on that guy.
Died at 36 sliding into a gas truck running from cops in a high speed chase. :shake:

Radar Chief
11-09-2012, 08:19 AM
I don't remember this BECAUSE I WAS FOUR ****ING YEARS OLD.

In ’93 I was 26, had gotten out of the Army the previous November, had been working at my new job about 8 months and gathered with a bunch of friends to watch this game, back when it was fun to be a Chiefs fan.

Dartgod
11-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Not a yellow seat visible.

ChiefMojo
11-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Ah those were the days. I was freshman in high school and the whole Chiefs experience at Arrowhead was so awesome! I still go back and watch those 90's games at times to cheer me up when thinking about the sh*ty product we supposedly still call Chiefs Football.

Btw, hey Pioli look at that stadium... that was a fan base that loved their Chiefs and WAS loved back by the organization!!!!

FAX
11-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Harlan > Holthus

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_f7c31h5nWc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That. Is. Awesome.

That's what we're fighting for, ladies and gentlemen. Moments like that.

Never forget. Never surrender.

FAX

Chiefnj2
11-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Check out 3:13 of that video.

Cassel is more like Montana than I'd imagined.

FAX
11-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Check out 3:13 of that video.

Cassel is more like Montana than I'd imagined.

I wonder if Mr. gblowfish was one of the shirtless guys near the 50.

FAX

MahiMike
11-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Wow, thanks for reviving this thread. It's good to remember why we still root four our team. We were a once-proud organization. These film clips are a great way to show our kids why we still believe.

Chiefaholic
11-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Either insurance, car sales or real estate I'm sure. He was average at WR by Montana got everything he could out of them.

JJ is one of my Facebook friends and is doing quite well for himself. From what I've read on his posts, he sell fitness products and is personally in incredible shape. I guarantee he's still better than most of the garbage we've lined up at WR in the past few years.

|Zach|
11-10-2012, 12:20 PM
One of the top 5 football games I have ever been to in my life.

|Zach|
11-10-2012, 12:21 PM
That. Is. Awesome.

That's what we're fighting for, ladies and gentlemen. Moments like that.

Never forget. Never surrender.

FAX

Its interesting though I think even with success the nature of the league...team...fans...it wouldn't be the same.

It wouldn't even be close.

ChiefMojo
11-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Notice the crowd and stadium in general... that WAS Chiefs football! :(