PDA

View Full Version : Life The weird thing about the Great Recession.

Rain Man
11-21-2009, 09:20 PM
It seems to me that in this environment, there are a disproportionate number of people who are completely screwed, but on the opposite end other people are making out pretty good.

For example, if you're a relatively young person getting established in your career and are fortunate enough to have a good job, Uncle Obama may have paid you $8,000 to buy a house and $4,000 to buy a car, and on top of that house prices are deflating faster than a balloon carrying a 6 year-old, so you're getting more for your money. You're golden.

On the other hand, if you're a relatively young person getting established in your career and you don't have a good job, you're doubly screwed. Not only are you unemployed and competing against a lot of inexperienced people as you try to find work, but Uncle Obama is waving all of the aforementioned goodies at you, and you don't have the money to take advantage of them.

The same is true for older folks, of course, but probably with less of an obvious disparity than among younger folks.

It occurred to me tonight because my wife and I made a spur of the moment purchase. A very nice art glass/china store is going out of business after being here forever, and they were holding a fire sale as they shut down. We saw an absolutely gorgeous set of really nice Wedgwood china that was way marked down. We asked about it, and after a short series of negotiations the owner offered us a price so low that we couldn't say no. This is high-end stuff that I wouldn't really consider buying at its normal price, but hey, if they're going to give it away I'm more than glad to buy it. So I got 8 place settings of very fine china for 75% off the retail price.

We're lucky, because while the company's definitely not having a great year, we're surviving the Great Recession okay, so we can take advantage of a store going out of business to get a screaming deal on china. Hopefully next year the company will be doing well enough that we'll be able to get a screaming deal buying an office building since the people who own office buildings can't give them away. So it'd be nice to be on the end taking advantage of these things, but at the same time I recognize that there are people on the other side who are getting hammered so badly that they're selling office buildings at half price and Wedgwood china at 75% off.

The media talks a lot about the people who lose in this environment, but it occurs to me that there are people who come out on top of the situation, too. Anyone else getting any good buys out there at the expense of others?

KcMizzou
11-21-2009, 09:23 PM
You're bragging about good deals on fine china... while my little family's eating mac and cheese off paper plates. Screw you Rain Man.

:)

KcMizzou
11-21-2009, 09:26 PM
FWIW... I voted neutral. Things have been about the same.

Rain Man
11-21-2009, 09:28 PM
You're bragging about good deals on fine china... while my little family's eating mac and cheese off paper plates. Screw you Rain Man.

So....you're the first category in the poll, I guess.

If it makes you feel better, I'll put a setting out for you at our first fine china dinner.

KcMizzou
11-21-2009, 09:30 PM

If it makes you feel better, I'll put a setting out for you at our first fine china dinner.I'd take you up on it... but my car might not make it... and I can't afford the gas.

Sure-Oz
11-21-2009, 09:32 PM
It started out rough cause i was working on avg 18 hours a day for a few months but my pay has been better and the hours are roughly 8-10 a day now instead. I still have a 2nd job but im more 'on call' or 'voluntary' then i was before. I needed to work long hours before to payoff bills and keep up (not that i have alot of bills, its just i didnt have a job for several months and was working part time before that)

RJ
11-21-2009, 09:51 PM

If it makes you feel better, I'll put a setting out for you at our first fine china dinner.

For your first fine china dinner, you should serve chicken hot dogs with pork and beans.

RJ
11-21-2009, 09:54 PM
As to the starter.....I lost a job, got a new job, lost some income, and lately (past two months) things are booming. However, I make no predictions for the future.

Over the course of the year, I'd say the game ended in a tie. In this economy, a tie is the new forty. Or something like that.

Stanley Nickels
11-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Have a steady career.
Got $8,000 for a house.
Have a stock purchase plan that has tripled since 12/08.
Life's okay.

Bugeater
11-21-2009, 10:12 PM
The shaky housing market seems to have caused people to stay in their homes and fix them up instead of building new ones, which is very good for me. It's been my best year since '04.

Buehler445
11-21-2009, 10:20 PM
My field of comparison has changed. Within the last 3 months, I have changed jobs (voluntary), and within the last 2 months have bought a house and traded vehicles. So from a fiscal persective, my situation is very different.

I will say that since October 2008, I was able to stockpile some cash and put 20% down on my house to avoid PMI.

But moving forward, I have saddled myself with quite a bit of leverage and am in a much less secure job. I'm scared to fucking death.
Posted via Mobile Device

Spott
11-21-2009, 10:26 PM
For some reason I seem to get a lot of OT during these recessions and when the economy is good, I can barely make any extra money. Luckily I'm not in debt and I have enough in savings to tide me over for a few years if I were to get laid off.

stevieray
11-21-2009, 10:30 PM
I've had three big jobs, and a smattering of small jobs this year..

no clue what next year will hold....

Rain Man
11-21-2009, 10:31 PM
My field of comparison has changed. Within the last 3 months, I have changed jobs (voluntary), and within the last 2 months have bought a house and traded vehicles. So from a fiscal persective, my situation is very different.

I will say that since October 2008, I was able to stockpile some cash and put 20% down on my house to avoid PMI.

But moving forward, I have saddled myself with quite a bit of leverage and am in a much less secure job. I'm scared to ****ing death.
Posted via Mobile Device

You're not at Cabela's any more? (It was Cabela's, right?)

Buehler445
11-21-2009, 10:37 PM
You're not at Cabela's any more? (It was Cabela's, right?)

That's correct. I've moved to Scott City to farm.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
11-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
Well hell, that's news to me. Best of luck to you in your new endeavor. :thumb:

Buehler445
11-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Well hell, that's news to me. Best of luck to you in your new endeavor. :thumb:

Heh. Haven't been on here much to announce it much. Been pretty damn busy.

Thanks for the well wishes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
11-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Heh. Haven't been on here much to announce it much. Been pretty damn busy.

Thanks for the well wishes.
Posted via Mobile Device

So you're in KS now? At least you got out of BFE Nebraska.

JohninGpt
11-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Up until last month things were great. I was able to purchase my dream home, cheap with a great interest rate, and live pretty well. A couple weeks ago my hours were cut down to a little over full time, I was getting abou 55 hrs/wk. So the extra cash is a bit short.

JohninGpt
11-21-2009, 11:12 PM

Good times or bad, Mac & Cheese kicks ass!

DaFace
11-21-2009, 11:22 PM
For example, if you're a relatively young person getting established in your career and are fortunate enough to have a good job, Uncle Obama may have paid you $8,000 to buy a house and $4,000 to buy a car, and on top of that house prices are deflating faster than a balloon carrying a 6 year-old, so you're getting more for your money. You're golden.

Geez...you could have just said, "If you're DaFace..." :D

OK, I didn't do the car thing, but the rest pretty much applies.

BillSelfsTrophycase
11-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Small buisiness owner here and it's kinda kicked me in the nutz

None of the poll options really applied

Wyndex
11-21-2009, 11:50 PM
anyone can get $4,000 for buying a new car..not just young people

Buehler445
11-22-2009, 12:14 AM
So you're in KS now? At least you got out of BFE Nebraska.

Yeah, I got out of BFE Nebraska and into BFE Kansas. But that's OK. KU and the Chiefs are local coverage, and I'm doing something I like.

JohninGpt
11-22-2009, 12:19 AM
anyone can get $4,000 for buying a new car..not just young people

I'm looking forward to my tax return this year, $8k for buying a house. WOOOOHHHOOOOOOO!!!!!

Kyle DeLexus
11-22-2009, 12:31 AM
So are these fine china dinners going to be white tie affairs? You should invite SR he would add some pizazz.

Dante84
11-22-2009, 01:59 AM
I am 23, a year and a half out of college.

I have had a (barely) paid internship for 15 months now, and I won't be brought on full time because of the hiring freeze. I love what I am doing, film marketing, but I am hurting. A lot of it also is that there aren't many opportunities in that industry in Kansas City.

I would love to stay within the bounds of the film industry in some way or another. I am young and have no babies or baby mamas or even a serious girl friend holding me back. I would love to move to Austin, because they love film there and I also love the city, or LA because of the obvious opportunities in the industry out there.

I need either: A. Money or B. a connection to get me the foot in the door somewhere.

It is rough and I feel somewhat useless at times.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-22-2009, 02:27 AM
Things have been better. On the plus side, I was just spinning my wheels at my last job up in the sticks( no insurance, no benefits ), so that was going to have to go anyway. The boss was old and the only reason he was still working was because he got married LATE in life, and ended up having a special needs child with his wife.
Great boss though. Paid me well and was a pleasure to be around for 3 1/2 years, so no complaints there.
Now I'm back in the big city, working the net, sending the resumes, and enjoying a not too horrible vacation courtesy of Uncle Sam. Hell, I worked for over three years with no vacation so I'm not complaining.
And I eat better now( excluding meals out of course )than I ever did while I was employed. Free Obama steaks and ribs taste pretty fucking good let me tell you.
And oh, the extended sleep! WOOT!

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2009, 03:10 AM
My heart goes out to ALL of my brothers in need.

Best to everyone, especially at this time of year.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-22-2009, 03:21 AM
My heart goes out to ALL of my brothers in need.

Best to everyone, especially at this time of year.

http://imspeakingtruth.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/black-power.jpg
RIGHT ON!

Man, I grew up so fucking poor I learned how to work early and more importantly; how to NOT live beyond my means.
If more people in this Country had mastered that art, I can't help but feel we'd ALL be a lot better off, ya' dig?

:thumb:

Over-Head
11-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Maybe the rest of North America is in a recession, but here in NL I can't freaken keep up to work demands, and forget hiring help. There's none around (worth hiring). And few peole really like interior tape/painting especially on the custom level where I play.
( www.ceilingmaster.biz (http://www.ceilingmaster.biz) )
St. John's is booming in ALL sectors. Sorry for thoses of you having a hard time right now.
we've been so broke here for so long it's nice to finally ride the gravy train

notorious
11-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I got out of BFE Nebraska and into BFE Kansas. But that's OK. KU and the Chiefs are local coverage, and I'm doing something I like.

Welcome to the Chiefs/Broncos Divide!

50/50 split for the most part in this area.

Scott City is decent. I flew a doctor up there once a week for 3 years and stayed all day during those trips. Decent eating establishments for a small town.

At least you are in one of the prettier areas of Western Kansas. The small lake and rock formations north of Scott are beautiful.

Hopefully you have your Corn and Milo in, a few farmers here are scrambling to finish milo.

Iowanian
11-22-2009, 09:11 AM
I started a company a few months before the big dive, and it didn't help. I did find enough other work(contract work and 1.5 part time jobs) to suppliment things, along with my savings to keep things floating. Last year was tough.

This year, I've been busy since March and will likely meet my company goals next wednesday with a good month ahead to finish the year. I've added an employee, purchased additional equipment to add service and capabilities. It's been a hard couple of years, but I feel like I'm getting headed in the right direction.

I've tried to take advantage of others bad luck...Office equipment was cheap, conference tables...cheaper....and I got a major piece of equipment for my field that was barely used for about 25% of list.

I regularly tell myself that if we're doing this well in the current environment, this is going to work.

I'm a few years from Fine China on a whim, but I hope I'm close to being able to put the cookies back into the jar that I took out to try this thing.

Saulbadguy
11-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Things are neutral here. I don't think we see dramatic swings either way here in the Midwest.

KC Jones
11-22-2009, 09:19 AM
I voted neutral - we're actually a little worse off because my wife isn't getting many hours now, but I have a solid career and income and my corporate overlord is doing quite well. So well that we are likely to get a major deal soon and the next few years are going to be brutal for my work schedule. I'm just hoping that I can translate that into a much larger salary or at least some big bonuses.

RJ
11-22-2009, 09:20 AM
The shaky housing market seems to have caused people to stay in their homes and fix them up instead of building new ones, which is very good for me. It's been my best year since '04.

I'm also seeing this, but only in the past few months. I wish January-August had been as strong as Sept-Nov.

RJ
11-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

You farm, therefore you're a farmer? Or are you working for someone else?

tmax63
11-22-2009, 09:40 AM
I have a solid job but cannot take advantage of the home credit and didn't have enough laid back to take advantage of a few opportunities and getting ready to bend over and take it in the arse to pay all the tax increases that have and will be coming from Uncle Sugar's drunken spending spree. Not to mention state tax increases and other taxes that will come since every city, county, municipality, state and region are broke at this time and refuse to face reality and balance their budgets with what they do have.

notorious
11-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Flooring business is booming for me.

The other floor guys are complaining about it slowing down a lot/laying guys off.

I am expanding at a nice pace and picking up new business (and repeat business) every week.

If this is a recession, I can't wait until the regular economy returns.

Maybe I am just lucky :)

I feel for employees that are getting laid off, though. You have little to no control over your employment, which is why I will never work for someone else as an employee ever again.

BigRedChief
11-22-2009, 09:47 AM

I'll take anyone for a ride in my wifes new Lincoln MKX which I got $4,500 from the cash for clunkers program when I bought it.;)

I'm making mire money than I ever have. I get headhunters call me daily about jobs. Life is good finacially. Which is one of the reasons I started the care packages for the troops idea and paying all the shipping costs and the paypal fees.

Time's Yours
11-22-2009, 09:48 AM
I voted screwed.

I'm getting a good degree from a good school and I have good grades, but I can't even get an interview.

I graduate in May. It seems like nobody is hiring. Placement numbers are way, way down.

BigRedChief
11-22-2009, 09:54 AM
I've had three big jobs, and a smattering of small jobs this year..

no clue what next year will hold....But, you have talent. You can produce something from nothing. A very valuable skill. Talent will always find work. :thumb:

BigRedChief
11-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Man, I grew up so ****ing poor I learned how to work early and more importantly; how to NOT live beyond my means.
If more people in this Country had mastered that art, I can't help but feel we'd ALL be a lot better off, ya' dig?

:thumb:
I posted this in another thread. I left home at 18 with $220 in my pockt and without a high school doploma to make my way in the world. This was in the late 70's and early 80's when the economy was in the tank and inflation was rampant. So, if you want it bad enough, it can happen. It's not going to be easy, it won't happen overnight. You have to think long term, have goals and work your ass off intelligently.

alnorth
11-22-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm making out like a bandit. First of all, my job is solid. When I graduated about 5 years ago, I landed a pretty decent job that is as recession-proof as it gets: pricing in an insurance company. The number of people in the world who can do the math required is pretty low, and we sell a product that the government and your mortgage/lein holder commands you to buy. Even during years when P&C insurance isnt doing so hot, pricing is just about the only thing that doesnt get cut. If anything, we're needed even more when things arent going well. (If you live in CA and your home insurance rates go up next year, I might be responsible for that)

That said, I bought my first house this summer. It is a pretty nice house a little bit bigger than a "starter home", at least 25% off what it would have sold for 2 years ago, and yes, uncle Obama is sending me an $8,000 check next year.

cdcox
11-22-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm making out like a bandit.

Me too. /Matt Cassel

Buehler445
11-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the Chiefs/Broncos Divide!

50/50 split for the most part in this area.

Scott City is decent. I flew a doctor up there once a week for 3 years and stayed all day during those trips. Decent eating establishments for a small town.

At least you are in one of the prettier areas of Western Kansas. The small lake and rock formations north of Scott are beautiful.

Hopefully you have your Corn and Milo in, a few farmers here are scrambling to finish milo.

First, fuck the Donko cunts. Fuck them hard.

Second, I wish we were done with corn and milo. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
11-22-2009, 02:01 PM
You farm, therefore you're a farmer? Or are you working for someone else?

My dad farms out here. I file a schedule F, but it will be awhile before I'm doing it on my own.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
11-22-2009, 05:13 PM
My dad farms out here. I file a schedule F, but it will be awhile before I'm doing it on my own.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wondered how you did it. Almost nobody just "becomes" a farmer. You just about have to be born into it.

BigMeatballDave
11-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Actually, my hrs are up, but my pay is down from my last job.