PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Matt Cassel I apologize

TheGuardian
11-22-2009, 03:24 PM
For saying you suck. You were ****ing money today when it mattered.

Also the best game that Haley has called all year.

Micjones
11-22-2009, 03:25 PM
This team played good football when it mattered. This win is HUGE!

PhillyChiefFan
11-22-2009, 03:26 PM
amen. Looked awful to start and then played a beautiful second half. What a sweet win.

PhillyChiefFan
11-22-2009, 03:27 PM
This team played good football when it mattered. This win is HUGE!

exactly. The Redskins, eh...Raiders...meh...but the Steelers are a legit high caliber team and we matched them step for step and played great when it mattered most.

Awesome day.

Huffman83
11-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Heh...he's money this week. The guy still kills me w/ how long he holds onto the ball. great finish, and I think this game would have been over in before the clock expired if Bradley caught that 3rd down ball. But a great win that I'm happy with!

DaWolf
11-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Cassel is going to have good and bad days like most QBs. Hopefully as time progresses, and more pieces get put around him, it'll me far more good than bad. We're seeing how having a legit reciever like Chambers can make a difference (and I was wrong about Chambers not being worth picking up). We just have to have patience as this team gets built...

KevB
11-22-2009, 03:32 PM
He still needs to improve on some things, but this type of game at least allows us to believe we have a guy that can win games for us.

TheGuardian
11-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Let me say that Haley's play calling has been much better the past two weeks. MUCH better.

Bwana
11-22-2009, 03:47 PM
I think he will be very good if he can:

A. Release the ball sooner.
B. We get a decent line.

He got the job done today!

chiefzilla1501
11-22-2009, 03:50 PM

B. We get a decent line.

He got the job done today!

That frustrated me too. But Gannon brought up the point today that in many cases, there were limited receiver options and they weren't getting any separation. I think we sometimes forget that this team has to do a lot of max protect sets. With a better o-line, you can run a lot more multiple receiver sets and I think they could make a pretty big difference.

DaFace
11-22-2009, 03:53 PM
He was hearing footsteps for most of the first half, but once we unleashed some of the deep stuff, he seemed to settle down a bit.

googlegoogle
11-22-2009, 07:39 PM
how did theguardian
change his topic title?

changing them never works for me.

Bane
11-22-2009, 07:43 PM
He played well when we needed him thats for sure.I've prob been way too hard on him but I'll be glad when we put more solid players around him.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 07:45 PM
The whole team needs to grow and seems to be doing that in spurts, kinda like puberty. Cassel is no different.

Dante84
11-22-2009, 08:28 PM
One thing I dislike thus far, and keep in mind I am a huge Castle supporter, is that his long balls hang fooooorrrrrreeeeeevvvvveeeerrrr. They are rainbows. Its like playing 500. It scares me to death/pisses me off when our receivers(chambers) has to cut his route short and wait on the ball.

milkman
11-22-2009, 08:31 PM
One thing I dislike thus far, and keep in mind I am a huge Castle supporter, is that his long balls hang fooooorrrrrreeeeeevvvvveeeerrrr. They are rainbows. Its like playing 500. It scares me to death/pisses me off when our receivers(chambers) has to cut his route short and wait on the ball.

It's something that concerned many of us when he was traded for.

We have to hope that it doesn't bite him in the ass too often, and that his toughness and leadership far outweigh his poor deep ball.

Pitt Gorilla
11-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Better O-line and receiver play allow the QB to do his job better. Shocking.

Red Beans
11-22-2009, 09:28 PM

They're better than Thigpen's(and I like Thigpen). Thiggy's looked like freakin' punts.

DaFace
11-22-2009, 09:29 PM
how did theguardian
change his topic title?

changing them never works for me.

You can change your thread title for the first 5 minutes or so.

sodcat
11-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Let me say that Haley's play calling has been much better the past two weeks. MUCH better.

THats because non of the plays involved LJ!

steelyeyed57
11-22-2009, 11:01 PM
It's something that concerned many of us when he was traded for.

We have to hope that it doesn't bite him in the ass too often, and that his toughness and leadership far outweigh his poor deep ball.

In his defense, Chambers is new, and I would hope with some more time together Cassel would recognize Chambers breaks and get the ball out sooner on that type of deep ball. It looked like Matt waited for the break and then threw, with time he should be able to anticipate that break. I hope.

T-post Tom
11-22-2009, 11:04 PM
They're better than Thigpen's(and I like Thigpen). Thigpen's looked like freakin' punts.

Sad day if Thigpen is the gold standard for throwing the deep pass. Very sad, indeed.

milkman
In his defense, Chambers is new, and I would hope with some more time together Cassel would recognize Chambers breaks and get the ball out sooner on that type of deep ball. It looked like Matt waited for the break and then threw, with time he should be able to anticipate that break. I hope.

The problem isn't timing, it's the lack of arm strength and the need to put a lot of air under the ball to get it deep.

I suppose if he ever hits DBowe deep we can call it a rainBowe.

DaneMcCloud

IMO, this is far more important than the offensive line.

It will show progress from the QB position and will help him out greatly.

Waiting on an offense line is tenuous at best.

steelyeyed57
11-22-2009, 11:09 PM
The problem isn't timing, it's the lack of arm strength and the need to put a lot of air under the ball to get it deep.

I suppose that's an issue, but if you get the ball out sooner, you don't have to throw it as far or as hard. Anticipation is very important to a quarterback who doesn't have a million dollar arm. That's how he will become successful, just ask Kurt Warner.

T-post Tom
11-22-2009, 11:13 PM

I didn't get to see much of Cassel last year. His lack of arm strength is somewhat surprising considering his size. And his release seems awkward. I hope they're able to find an elite qb coach for him after this season. He needs work on all the fundamentals.
:(

milkman
11-22-2009, 11:21 PM
I suppose that's an issue, but if you get the ball out sooner, you don't have to throw it as far or as hard. Anticipation is very important to a quarterback who doesn't have a million dollar arm. That's how he will become successful, just ask Kurt Warner.

It's true that warner doesn't have a strong arm, but it is stronger than Cassel's.
He also has outstanding mechanics, a quick release, and makes quick decisions.

Cassel's arm is more comparable to Rich Gannon's than to Warner's.

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2009, 11:36 PM
It's true that warner doesn't have a strong arm, but it is stronger than Cassel's.
He also has outstanding mechanics, a quick release, and makes quick decisions.

Cassel's arm is more comparable to Rich Gannon's than to Warner's.

Which of course means he's in the wrong offense.

Cassel's biggest flaw is that he hasn't learned "touch".

He throws the ball far too hard on short and intermediate passes, yet throws "ducks" downfield.

It's mechanics.

ChiefsCountry
11-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Which of course means he's in the wrong offense.

Which proves this was Pioli's decision and not Haley's, no way does Cassel have Leinart's arm and he struggled in Wisenhust/Haley's offense.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-23-2009, 02:27 AM
I was cussing Cassel all day. His throws are not accurate at all. He doesn't know how to lead the receiver on a quick slant. They were having to catch the ball off the back of their neck. studebaker won the game for us. Cassel Sucks !