PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Props to Matt Cassel

milkman
11-22-2009, 03:26 PM
I've been a staunch critic, but he played a good game today, and led this team to a victory over one of the top teams in the league.

BigChiefFan
11-22-2009, 03:27 PM
He played like crap in the first half, but they really turned it around in the 2nd half and OT. Glad to see him get some props.

KC Jones
11-22-2009, 03:28 PM
He got some time in the second half - I don't know what the Chiefs did at halftime for their blocking adjustments, but it worked.

the Talking Can
11-22-2009, 03:29 PM
and the D in the second...some rookies on the dl played well

I really can not believe this

SAUTO
11-22-2009, 03:30 PM
I've been a staunch critic, but he played a good game today, and led this team to a victory over one of the top teams in the league.

. give him some time in the pocket and i think hes shown what he is capable of

memyselfI
11-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Indeed. He seems to still have confidence in himself and his teammates and a win like this can only reinforce their belief in each other.

I'm so happy for him. He's carried an unnecessary brunt of the frustration about this team.

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Amazing how much better a guy looks when he has a semblence of a pocket.

Great second half by the offensive line, and a lot of really timely plays by the defense.

Big kudos to the coaching staff. KC came from behind to take a game from a superior team. Good play calls, good execution, when it counted.

This is like the old days, superbowl champion leaves down with their tail between their legs.

cdcox
Props to him.

Not sold on him being The Answer but gutsy play when it mattered today.

Fritz88
He just needs to lose some love to the ball. He hangs on to it too much.

Bunit
11-22-2009, 03:32 PM
He shown that he has mental and physical toughness. Still can not believe that this happened. Holy fucking shit this is awesome.

Fairplay
Im so proud of this team right now.

It finally feels good to be a fan.

Hammock Parties
The anti-Thigpen.

Sure-Oz
11-22-2009, 03:33 PM
He pissed me off but he still led the way, congrats to him

BossChief
100% correct.

Beat me to it!

milkman
This was a fun game, and a happy win.

I am not going to shit on it by debating anything posted here that I disagree with, at least for now.

CupidStunt
11-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Good coaching and some solid QB'ing today. What we really need is for Pioli to inject the offense with NFL-caliber OL and more targets for Cassel. At that point we can judge whether or not he's legit.

PhillyChiefFan
11-22-2009, 03:36 PM
How sweet to be a Pennsylvania Chiefs fan right now!

Spicy McHaggis
11-22-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm so happy for him. He's carried an unnecessary brunt of the frustration about this team.

The guy with the big contract usually does.

He played well today, made some smart throws. If they protect the guy with any consistency I think he can be a good QB.

TIED5573
I think ridding ourselves of LJ had some impact, perhaps more than we will know. 'Til next week.

KcMizzou
Indeed. He seems to still have confidence in himself and his teammates and a win like this can only reinforce their belief in each other.

I'm so happy for him. He's carried an unnecessary brunt of the frustration about this team.This win has to be huge for their confidence.

It's a huge boon for Haley too. Now the players can see some results after being forced to bust their asses.

For the Chiefs, any win is good. But a win against a quality team like that, is great.

PhillyChiefFan
11-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Props to him.

Not sold on him being The Answer but gutsy play when it mattered today.

He's accurate but I think he second guesses himself and the windows close up quickly.

The game might have been over even before it was if Bradley would have held on to the ball on that 3rd down.

RINGLEADER
11-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Amazing how much better a guy looks when he has a semblence of a pocket.

Great second half by the offensive line, and a lot of really timely plays by the defense.

Big kudos to the coaching staff. KC came from behind to take a game from a superior team. Good play calls, good execution, when it counted.

This is like the old days, superbowl champion leaves down with their tail between their legs.

Yeah, no doubt. When he feels confident that he'll have time he's great. Though he does miss on the short throws too much -- but I think we at least have some receivers (Bowe, when he plays, Chambers, Long) who seem to give him decent targets.

Can't even imagine how much better we'd look if we still had Tony G.

But next season I still favor paying money for a big-time FA LT, move Albert to G, and draft a couple T to play RT and get us depth.

Frankie
11-22-2009, 03:43 PM
He got some time in the second half - I don't know what the Chiefs did at halftime for their blocking adjustments, but it worked.

What is this? we have coaches that can make halftime adjustments? .... SACRILEGE!!!!

chiefzilla1501
11-22-2009, 03:46 PM
So far this season, he engineered:
-a game-tying AND game-winning drive against Oakland (only to have the defense lose it)
-Led a game-tying drive against Dallas
-Almost pulled off a comeback against Jax (though, in garbage time)

He's been shitty in first halves. But to his credit, he's been very above average late in games this season when the games were close in the 4th quarter. As much as it might pain people, if the Chiefs ever become good enough on defense and on the running game, they could become a smashmouth team that wins games in the last 5 minutes.

Frankie
11-22-2009, 03:47 PM
He's accurate but I think he second guesses himself and the windows close up quickly.

After the non-protection that the O-line has given him all season, I do not blame him. I will not judge him until when we give him an O-line. But I was a fan the minute I read about how he prepares for games.

petegz28
11-22-2009, 03:48 PM
This was a fun game, and a happy win.

I am not going to shit on it by debating anything posted here that I disagree with, at least for now.

Bwana
11-22-2009, 03:49 PM
he is going to be damn good when we get him a line and he learns to get rid of the ball faster.

Frankie
11-22-2009, 03:53 PM
BTW, big props to Todd Haley too. He's been catching a lot of crap here for some of his play calls. But there has almost always been ONE big constant: His team PLAYS to the last second of every game. That's a great sign.

FAX
11-22-2009, 03:54 PM
A huge confidence booster. Both for the players and the fans.

We just beat the friggin' world champions!!!

FAX

chiefs1111
11-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Matt did very well in the 2nd half and OT,hope he keeps up the good work. Also love the way Charles played today as well...

KcMizzou
11-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Matt did very well in the 2nd half and OT,hope he keeps up the good work. Also love the way Charles played today as well...I love Charles. The kid can take a hit and shake it off, too. Didn't realize he had that in him.

Pablo
11-22-2009, 03:59 PM
he is going to be damn good when we get him a line and he learns to get rid of the ball faster.I don't know if he'll ever learn to get rid of the ball faster; he's just one of those guys that hang onto the ball, like Roethlisberger. But, if we can give him protection like the Steelers and he can stand back there he'll be alright. Also, he'll be less likely to go into a shell every time he sees a defender once he gets good protection...and he might even be able to shake some folks off and move around in a real, actual, "pocket".

EyePod
11-22-2009, 04:02 PM
in the second half he was better... he was terrible that first half though. and he did underthrow chambers and got him hurt earlier in the game... still his best game. Just wish he could get it together in the first half. I guess it's better than thigpen though...

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm not sure why, but it seemed like he had a better sense of the incoming pressure in the second half.

TheGuardian
11-22-2009, 04:03 PM
He did.

And not only that, but he seems to be getting better each week while the Sanchez talk has died because that guy clearly does suck.

ncCHIEFfan
11-22-2009, 04:04 PM
I was not so impressed with Cassel but wont complain...WE WON!

Pablo
11-22-2009, 04:04 PM
He did.

And not only that, but he seems to be getting better each week while the Sanchez talk has died because that guy clearly does suck.I really wish you wouldn't have said the 'S' word in this thread celebrating Matt.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Huge props to Milkman for starting this thread.

ArrowheadHawk
11-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Good job for Matt. I hope he is like green and is much much better in season number 2.

Marcellus
I really wish you wouldn't have said the 'S' word in this thread celebrating Matt.

x 1MM

SAUTO
Huge props to Milkman for starting this thread.

yep, props to MM

milkman
11-22-2009, 04:07 PM
in the second half he was better... he was terrible that first half though. and he did underthrow chambers and got him hurt earlier in the game... still his best game. Just wish he could get it together in the first half. I guess it's better than thigpen though...

One of the things I was most critical of Cassel has been his propensity run away from phantom pressure.

He was doing that early in the game, but it appeared he started to realize that he was getting a little better protection than he has been giving to his line credit for (and more than most here have) and he stood in the pocket and made plays more often.

chiefzilla1501
11-22-2009, 04:08 PM

There are a lot of things I'm beginning to realize are "it is what it is" when it comes to Cassel. I don't know that he'll ever be a quick-read guy like Brees or Brady. I don't think he'll become a great deep passer. And I think you'll always see bouts of inconsistency. I hope those improve and they will with better supporting talent. Enough so? We'll see--my guess is probably not enough to make him elite.

But I can learn to be okay with a solid but unspectacular QB who plays very well late in games. I don't know why it takes him that long, but he has definitely showed up in big moments more than a few times this season.

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 04:12 PM
One of the things I was most critical of Cassel has been his propensity run away from phantom pressure.

He was doing that early in the game, but it appeared he started to realize that he was getting a little better protection than he has been giving to his line credit for (and more than most here have) and he stood in the pocket and made plays more often.He hadn't had the kind of protection he had in the second half today at any other point in the year. Not even close.

That line has been horrible all year. There's no "giving the line credit for" anything.

I'm not sure why it happened, because it was just as bad as usual in the first half, but maybe something finally clicked and they've found a personnel group that works.

Whatever it was, I hope they bottle it and use it the rest of the year.

ncCHIEFfan
11-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Lets hope for the best

milkman
11-22-2009, 04:13 PM
He hadn't had the kind of protection he had in the second half today at any other point in the year. Not even close.

That line has been horrible all year. There's no "giving the line credit for" anything.

I don't want to debate this today keg.

I just want to enjoy the win.

ncCHIEFfan
11-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Wonder why the line played theirs butts off today as compared to the usual?

OnTheWarpath15
11-22-2009, 04:14 PM

He was doing that early in the game, but it appeared he started to realize that he was getting a little better protection than he has been giving to his line credit for (and more than most here have) and he stood in the pocket and made plays more often.

This.

Considering the opponent, he got more time today than he's gotten in any previous game - but he was still dancing around in the first half.

IIRC there was a close-up of Haley on the first series of the 3rd quarter, where he's apparently telling Cassel to "throw the fucking ball."

After that, he did a much better job - dodged a few bullets on some bad decisions, but ultimately made the plays necessary to win.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Bones earned today.

beach tribe
11-22-2009, 04:18 PM

Good post
QFT

chiefzilla1501
11-22-2009, 04:19 PM
He hadn't had the kind of protection he had in the second half today at any other point in the year. Not even close.

I'm not sure why it happened, because it was just as bad as usual in the first half, but maybe something finally clicked and they've found a personnel group that works.

Whatever it was, I hope they bottle it and use it the rest of the year.

On the whole, protection is largely to blame. But Cassel is responsible for a lot of the problems too, just as Aaron Rodgers is in Green Bay. He needs to be better at the hot route. And he has to learn to at least throw the ball away rather than take a sack. You wouldn't see these problems with a superb o-line, but you hope he gets better over time at making his o-line look better (as Brady does in NE).

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't want to debate this today keg.

I just want to enjoy the win.What's there to debate? The line has been consistently awful, running or passing, all year. There's no question about that. They haven't opened running lanes and they've gotten destroyed by passrushers inside and outside.

Acknowledging that isn't any kind of comment on Cassel one way or the other. Just a statement of fact.

They were better today in the second half. I hope it was a case where something was worked out and it translates to the rest of the season.

old_geezer
11-22-2009, 04:22 PM
I've been as hard on the Chiefs lately as just about anyone. Today they played with heart and gave the Steelers all they wanted. Looks like Haley's way is starting to show results. I was really impressed that they never gave up and kept fighting the entire game. Herm Edward's team would have quit before halftime.

milkman
11-22-2009, 04:23 PM
What's there to debate? The line has been consistently awful, running or passing, all year. There's no question about that. They haven't opened running lanes and they've gotten destroyed by passrushers inside and outside.

Acknowledging that isn't any kind of comment on Cassel one way or the other. Just a statement of fact.

God dammit keg, I disagree, but I am not going to be drawn into a debate today.

Check back tomorrow, and I'll argue it, but this is the final response I have for it today.

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 04:24 PM
God dammit keg, I disagree, but I am not going to be drawn into a debate today.

Check back tomorrow, and I'll argue it, but this is the final response I have for it today.You're going to argue that the offensive line has played well?!

*checks the calendar to see if today is the last day of March*

ChiefsCountry
11-22-2009, 04:24 PM
We won so Ill save my bitching about Cassel. He still has lots of problems but Im enjoying the win.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pablo
11-22-2009, 04:25 PM
You're going to argue that the offensive line has played well?!

*checks the calendar to see if today is the last day of March*Just let him enjoy his day. I'm sure you'll have plenty of arguing to look forward to tomorrow.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-22-2009, 04:25 PM
You're going to argue that the offensive line has played well?!

*checks the calendar to see if today is the last day of March*

Can the man enjoy his fucking win?

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Can't a guy enjoy a win and enjoy tweaking someone?

:D

mlyonsd
11-22-2009, 04:27 PM
I said in another thread Cassel reminded me of Steve Fuller.

Taken back.

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Can the man enjoy his ****ing win?Almost forgot...

you can go fuck yourself, fucking hypocrite.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-22-2009, 04:28 PM
We won so Ill save my bitching about Cassel. He still has lots of problems but Im enjoying the win.
Posted via Mobile Device

This. LOTS of fodder, but not for jawin' today.

TWO...IN...A...ROW! WOOT!

Pablo
11-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Almost forgot...

you can go **** yourself, ****ing hypocrite.ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Almost forgot...

you can go fuck yourself, fucking hypocrite.

Take a Mydol, Charlene.

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Take a Mydol, Charlene.If that's the best you can come up with, I'm sorely disappointed.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-22-2009, 04:31 PM
If that's the best you can come up with, I'm sorely disappointed.
It's all your going to get, so be disappointed.

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 04:32 PM
It's all your going to get, so be disappointed.If I wanted to hear that, I'd start dating again.

KC Jones
11-22-2009, 04:33 PM
He did.

And not only that, but he seems to be getting better each week while the Sanchez talk has died because that guy clearly does suck.

Yeah, but if we had Sanchez we'd be 0-10 and a lock to get Berry!

Coogs
11-22-2009, 08:02 PM

I'll give it up as well. Great second half. Sucked big time in the first half though. Great win!

Chiefs Pantalones
11-22-2009, 08:07 PM
It's simple. Give Cassel protection, he delivers. We saw that today.

DeezNutz
11-22-2009, 08:09 PM
This win has to be huge for their confidence.

It's a huge boon for Haley too. Now the players can see some results after being forced to bust their asses.

For the Chiefs, any win is good. But a win against a quality team like that, is great.

I hope it's a huge building block.

Yes, we had a shit ton of things go "our way" today. But, fuck it, we beat the champs, and that's all that matters.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 08:10 PM
I hope it's a huge building block.

Yes, we had a shit ton of things go "our way" today. But, **** it, we beat the champs, and that's all that matters.

Luck is created by being prepared for the opportunities that present themselves.

Or something like that.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-22-2009, 08:11 PM
The guy is tough. REAL tough.
And he's never pointed a finger or signaled the "bus-chuck bouncer" to come take this player or that player to the back alley through all of this.

That makes him a good leader and a better leader than our last head coach.
It's a damn good start.

Hammock Parties
11-22-2009, 08:12 PM
The guy is tough. REAL tough.
And he's never pointed a finger or signaled the "bus-chuck bouncer" to come take this player or that player to the back alley through all of this.

That makes him a good leader and a better leader than our last head coach.
It's a damn good start.

What?

No no no.

Bill Maas said he was Grbac II.

DeezNutz
11-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Luck is created by being prepared for the opportunities that present themselves.

Or something like that.

Luck: the byproduct of hard work.

Meh. I'm not going to completely discount that, as there's definitely some truth there.

But I also can't discount the absolute travesty that was the first half. All aspects, save special teams, were fucking awful. Coaching, offense, defense...

But, the second half was completely different. Let's build on that.

Hammock Parties
11-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Let's build on that.

Shut up HERM.

DeezNutz
11-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Shut up HERM.

It's ooooookkkaaayyyyy.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-22-2009, 08:25 PM
So far this season, he engineered:
-a game-tying AND game-winning drive against Oakland (only to have the defense lose it)
-Led a game-tying drive against Dallas
-Almost pulled off a comeback against Jax (though, in garbage time)

He's been shitty in first halves. But to his credit, he's been very above average late in games this season when the games were close in the 4th quarter. As much as it might pain people, if the Chiefs ever become good enough on defense and on the running game, they could become a smashmouth team that wins games in the last 5 minutes.

If you look at the difference in playcalling, you will see a major reason why he looks better in the second half of games.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-22-2009, 08:27 PM
It's ooooookkkaaayyyyy.

:cuss::doh!:

"And I want 'em HOT"! "They gotta' be HOT"!

:D

KcMizzou
11-22-2009, 08:27 PM
It's ooooookkkaaayyyyy.Get over it.

luv
11-22-2009, 08:28 PM
It's ooooookkkaaayyyyy.

Get over it.

LMAO

Titty Meat
11-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Props to Milkman besides your football knowledge I'd say you admit when your wrong and that says alot about your character.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Luck: the byproduct of hard work.

Meh. I'm not going to completely discount that, as there's definitely some truth there.

But I also can't discount the absolute travesty that was the first half. All aspects, save special teams, were fucking awful. Coaching, offense, defense...

But, the second half was completely different. Let's build on that.

I'll tell you what though, and this is the Gods honest truth AND highest compliment I could ever pay to Cassel or ANY Chiefs QB:

How great does it make me feel to see an emerging trend whereby we have a Quarterback that is developing in to a 4th Quarter asset INSTEAD of a liability?
Pretty fuckin' great.
How many times have we watched this team over the years get burned by that type of Quarterback?
PLENTY.
To see the possibility of the shoe being on OUR foot instead of the competitions since forever and a day is enough for me to take my fingers off the "Release The HOUNDS"-button for a week.
Maybe longer.
HOPEFULLY longer.

Titty Meat
11-23-2009, 12:27 AM
I'll tell you what though, and this is the Gods honest truth AND highest compliment I could ever pay to Cassel or ANY Chiefs QB:

How great does it make me feel to see an emerging trend whereby we have a Quarterback that is developing in to a 4th Quarter asset INSTEAD of a liability?
Pretty ****in' great.
How many times have we watched this team over the years get burned by that type of Quarterback?
PLENTY.
To see the possibility of the shoe being on OUR foot instead of the competitions since forever and a day is enough for me to take my fingers off the "Release The HOUNDS"-button for a week.
Maybe longer.
HOPEFULLY longer.

but one poster said last week that Cassel should be benched cuz he isn't clutch. I'll tell ya what Raised On Riots this team may suck but going being 3-2 in the last 5 games compared to Herms 2 wins in 16 games is a fucking improvement and it looks like this franchise is heading in the right direction.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-23-2009, 12:45 AM
but one poster said last week that Cassel should be benched cuz he isn't clutch. I'll tell ya what Raised On Riots this team may suck but going being 3-2 in the last 5 games compared to Herms 2 wins in 16 games is a fucking improvement and it looks like this franchise is heading in the right direction.

Look, good faith is something that some people have in abundance and some people don't.
You can't blame some fans, myself included, for going on "what have you done for me today" in the face of a 40 year history of overall suck.
And by that same principal, you can't blame people for looking to the numbers, the sheets, and the overall history of the league for answers to "How do we stop the bleeding and start building and winning"?

You can blame me or others for being an asshole about it; I'll happily own up to that and take my lumps for it in the face of a victory like the one we had today. NO problem.
But the long-term faith and trust has to be earned, one play and one game at a time.
On my end, I can now at least say that there's something there. We beat a legit team and we played with passion. Jesus Christ; does anyone believe that outside of petty message board fun and games that I or anyone else LOVES to lose week after week?

My only "agenda" is pretty fucking simple:

Build me a team I can be proud of. Year in and year out. That's it.

chiefzilla1501
11-23-2009, 12:48 AM

Pretty ****in' great.
PLENTY.
Maybe longer.
HOPEFULLY longer.

While it's a valid point... a) Cassel is a lot better than Grbac and Bono. b) the main recurring problem was with the Martyball offense.

I don't mind having a 4th quarter guy. We didn't have as much of that with Green. As long as you have a head coach with the aggressiveness to crawl out of a shelf in those 4th quarter situations.

Take the Steelers. They ran the same "Marty Ball" model under Cowher. The difference is that they also take some shots downfield.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-23-2009, 12:55 AM
While it's a valid point... a) Cassel is a lot better than Grbac and Bono. b) the main recurring problem was with the Martyball offense.

I don't mind having a 4th quarter guy. We didn't have as much of that with Green. As long as you have a head coach with the aggressiveness to crawl out of a shelf in those 4th quarter situations.

Take the Steelers. They ran the same "Marty Ball" model under Cowher. The difference is that they also take some shots downfield.

They also dicked around with their QB situation until they got a guy who could deliver in the 4th.
All I'm saying is; in the face of less than perfect supporting talent on offense, if there's one trait alone that's going to pop up first?
That would be the one I want.
And it looks like I might be getting it.:D

Pablo
11-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Eh, Cassel can take a beating behind a pretty shit line; and he seems to be at his best late in the game in pressure situations and running the no-huddle. Pretty desirable traits.

He's not perfect by any means. He holds onto the ball too long, and makes some serious WTF throws at times, but with a little protection he can be a damn respectable QB.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Eh, Cassel can take a beating behind a pretty shit line; and he seems to be at his best late in the game in pressure situations and running the no-huddle. Pretty desirable traits.

He's not perfect by any means. He holds onto the ball too long, and makes some serious WTF throws at times, but with a little protection he can be a damn respectable QB.

Well, since were being all warm and fuzzy, a part of me hopes that he can learn to operate effectively with this shitty protection and address the holding of the ball too long NOW, so that when we DO have a good line; he'll feel like he's got time to grill a burger back there and his decisions will get better and the results yield higher dividends.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2009, 01:13 AM

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Kansas+City+Chiefs+v+Philadelphia+Eagles+qXnzEISJ6Fzl.jpghttp://img2.allposters.com/images/PHO/AAHI169.jpg

sportsman1
11-23-2009, 01:16 AM
WHY THE F*** did you have to do that? F*** you, and F*** John Elway's tounge thing!

pr_capone
11-23-2009, 01:17 AM
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Kansas+City+Chiefs+v+Philadelphia+Eagles+qXnzEISJ6Fzl.jpg[/IMG]

oh god... please take the second image down.

I'd rather you post up a todd blackledge pic than that horse faced donkey.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-23-2009, 01:17 AM
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Kansas+City+Chiefs+v+Philadelphia+Eagles+qXnzEISJ6Fzl.jpghttp://img2.allposters.com/images/PHO/AAHI169.jpg

It's a bit early yet, but yeah. This.
And wouldn't it be nice?

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Oh he's retired and an alcoholic wreck for fuck's sake people; get over it.

And at least it's not that Seabiscuit motherfucker Shannon Sharpe.

Pioli Zombie
11-23-2009, 06:30 AM
They also dicked around with their QB situation until they got a guy who could deliver in the 4th.
All I'm saying is; in the face of less than perfect supporting talent on offense, if there's one trait alone that's going to pop up first?
That would be the one I want.
And it looks like I might be getting it.:D
And you are starting to see why a pretty tough Boston sports fan base that had been spoiled from years of having Tom Brady, LOVED Matt Cassel by the end of last year. That is not an easy thing to do in New England. But he did it because most people saw similar intangible traits. Toughness, hard work, leadership, the ability to improve, and unafraid of 4th quarter pressure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefs4TheWin
11-23-2009, 07:34 AM
How sweet to be a Pennsylvania Chiefs fan right now!

Yeah it feel damn good doesn't it? i got to send back 40 "haha chiefs suck!" texts with the biggest "LOL way to fail" I could push through the airwaves.

philfree
11-23-2009, 08:30 AM
I was ready to see Croyle at a point in the game and then Cassel turned it around. :clap:

PhilFree:arrow:

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-23-2009, 03:20 PM
And you are starting to see why a pretty tough Boston sports fan base that had been spoiled from years of having Tom Brady, LOVED Matt Cassel by the end of last year. That is not an easy thing to do in New England. But he did it because most people saw similar intangible traits. Toughness, hard work, leadership, the ability to improve, and unafraid of 4th quarter pressure.
Posted via Mobile Device

And he's been consistent with it, which was my original compliment. I think more people will begin to have faith in him when the techniques of the position and command of the total field tighten up a bit more on his end.
If he can address the slop, tighten up his mechanics, and develop a wide field of vision while simultaneously growing eyes in the back of his head; this team will be in great shape.
And he does need better protection to make those things happen.

In other news, Keitzman is ripping Mangino a third asshole right now.:D

Micjones
11-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Cassel wasn't without his struggles yesterday, but he got the job done when it counted.
Kudos to you Milkman for giving him his due.

Some of our fellow Planeteers refuse to do that.

stevieray
11-23-2009, 03:56 PM
props to milkman

chefsos
11-23-2009, 05:21 PM
I suppose that this has been discussed in another thread somewhere, but a question comes to mind: Was anyone here certain, when the season began, that Cassel would even be standing upright through week 11?

milkman
11-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Well, since were being all warm and fuzzy, a part of me hopes that he can learn to operate effectively with this shitty protection and address the holding of the ball too long NOW, so that when we DO have a good line; he'll feel like he's got time to grill a burger back there and his decisions will get better and the results yield higher dividends.

You know, we may have started to see him grow into that QB who can stand in the pocket in the face of pressure and deliver.

In previous games, and this goes to teh question keg asked earlier in this thread, he has had some plays where he has had a pocket to work in, even with this shitty line, and he has had a propensity to break containment before it was actually necessary, and has actually run himself into more pressure.

Yesterday, however, he stayed in the pocket and made plays.

He slid away from pressure rather than breaking containment.

milkman
11-23-2009, 08:40 PM
I suppose that this has been discussed in another thread somewhere, but a question comes to mind: Was anyone here certain, when the season began, that Cassel would even be standing upright through week 11?

He was one of the most sacked QBs in the league last year, if not the most (I can't remember), and was standing at the end of the season.

So, yeah, I think some, myself included, thought he would be still standing.

I don't believe his toughness and durability has ever been a question.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-23-2009, 09:25 PM
You know, we may have started to see him grow into that QB who can stand in the pocket in the face of pressure and deliver.

In previous games, and this goes to teh question keg asked earlier in this thread, he has had some plays where he has had a pocket to work in, even with this shitty line, and he has had a propensity to break containment before it was actually necessary, and has actually run himself into more pressure.

Yesterday, however, he stayed in the pocket and made plays.

He slid away from pressure rather than breaking containment.

Perhaps he's been watching film of players who have the strengths he lacks, and working on improving his game.
That's another thing about him; I don't think he's going to sit back and rest on his paycheck. I think this guy goes to work just like a working man.

We'll see. There's a lot more football left to play. The best thing we could get out of this game is for the OTHER talent on the team that can actually play better than THE SACRED COWS, will continue to play.
The other thing, is that a good finish this year will help us recruit the kind of quality support staff that we so desperately need.
I don't care what Haley says about Krumrie, Carthon, and Muir or anyone else for that matter; there are better people out there, and we NEED them.