PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Auto Mechanics

cookster50
11-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Hello Planeteers. Looking for some suggestions on what to look at on my wife's car. It's a 2000 Saturn SL-1. For several years now every now and then it will idle high if in park or neutral. It is doing it pretty much all the time now. What should I be looking at doing to get it to stop idling high? New plugs and wires, so that isn't it.
Also, last week we had the transmission checked out and it had a couple leaks, so those got fixed and the transmission was flushed and new fluids added. Well, ever since we got the car back(not sure how to describe this well, so bear with me) the car engine seems to be "working" more. IE, it is louder upon startup and while driving. When we are not pushing in the gas pedal it still maintains it's speed. So, going down any type of a hill means we have to break often to keep from speeding like crazy. Any ideas? Seems weird that it would start doing that after transmission work....

Reerun_KC
11-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Might want to have the throttle position sensors checked..... Could be an EGR valve problem also......

Good place to start...

Bugeater
11-23-2009, 08:44 AM
The idle is more than likely controlled electronically and I don't believe you can adjust it yourself. Cars are much more "hands off" these days, you'll have to take it to a shop.

As far as the trans, if you're noticing issues at start-up, when the trans isn't doing anything, then it's likely not a trans problem at all. From what you're saying I believe all of your troubles are centered around the idle speed issue.

cookster50
11-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Hmm, I'm not wanting to spend much, due to the car having 180k on it. However, sounds like it might be something I can't do anything about.... that stinks.
Sounds like the EGR valve may be something I could check out...

Reerun_KC
11-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Hmm, I'm not wanting to spend much, due to the car having 180k on it. However, sounds like it might be something I can't do anything about.... that stinks.
Sounds like the EGR valve may be something I could check out...

I have a 99 Suburban and just rolled 252,000 miles... I always spend the money and keep it up and running...

I am hoping to keep it on the road another 6 years until my son grads HS.

cookster50
11-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Looking into the EGR valve, my engine doesn't knock or start to stall or anything that I am reading is a symptom of a clogged EGR valve, so I'm not sure that would be the issue.

SAUTO
11-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Looking into the EGR valve, my engine doesn't knock or start to stall or anything that I am reading is a symptom of a clogged EGR valve, so I'm not sure that would be the issue.

i would look for a vacuum leak first. is the check engine light on?

cookster50
11-23-2009, 09:14 AM
i would look for a vacuum leak first. is the check engine light on?

No. Though one time we had an engine misfire code.

SAUTO
11-23-2009, 09:15 AM
No. Though one time we had an engine misfire code.

that wouldnt(or usually doesnt) cause high idle, i would be looking for a vacuum leak then next the idle speed motor

Lzen
11-23-2009, 10:41 AM
It's a 2000 Saturn SL-1..

Found your problem. :D

Gonzo
11-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Just an FYI:

I was a Saturn Mechanic for four years...

The problem is likely the EGR and Purge Canister. The valve sticks open and causes vacume issues.

It could be one of the four position sensors but the EGR would be the place to start.
Take it to one of those places that will pull the fail codes for free and PM me. I'll run you through the process.
(EGR is located above the starter and is a bitch to get to btw)

Gonzo
11-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Found your problem. :D

The older Saturns were good cars. Iv'e seen those 1.6L 4 bangers with well over 250K on them still on the street.

cookster50
11-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Take it to one of those places that will pull the fail codes for free and PM me.

What place would do this? Had the wife stop by Oreilly and Autozone, they said they only do check engine lights, not other codes.......

SAUTO
11-23-2009, 06:07 PM
What place would do this? Had the wife stop by Oreilly and Autozone, they said they only do check engine lights, not other codes.......

thats a fail code

Gonzo
11-23-2009, 06:07 PM

It's not throwing a service engine soon light at you?
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo
11-23-2009, 06:08 PM
thats a fail code

This, sorry shouldve told u that...
Posted via Mobile Device

cookster50
11-23-2009, 06:10 PM
It's not throwing a service engine soon light at you?
Posted via Mobile Device

That's a negatory.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-23-2009, 06:11 PM
You probably have a large amount of water in your gas or possibly somebody pissed in your tank. Better taste it to know for sure.

cookster50
11-23-2009, 06:11 PM
You probably have a large amount of water in your gas or possibly somebody pissed in your tank. Better taste it to know for sure.

Hmm, tastes a lot like antifreeze.

Bugeater
11-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Seriously, if you plan on keeping this car for any amount of time, you need to buck up and take it in to have a diagnostic machine hooked up to it, you'll NEVER figure it out on your own. If it's running at that high idle speed in the middle of a snowstorm, it's going to become a safety issue.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Hmm, tastes a lot like antifreeze.

No, it tastes like antifreeze when somebodys jerked off in the tank.

Gonzo
11-23-2009, 06:18 PM
That's a negatory.

Man, 1st time for everything. Usually an idle problem will throw a code. Here's what you do.

Next time it's acting up, turn your cruise control on and off three times. This will take a snapshot of the current engine processes, (fuel mix, idle speed etc.) then take it to your dealer and they'll get the diag for you. sorry, I know u probably wanted to avoid the dealership but without the code getting set, this may be the only way. (unless Jason has a different idea)
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
11-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Man, 1st time for everything. Usually an idle problem will throw a code. Here's what you do.

Next time it's acting up, turn your cruise control on and off three times. This will take a snapshot of the current engine processes, (fuel mix, idle speed etc.) then take it to your dealer and they'll get the diag for you. sorry, I know u probably wanted to avoid the dealership but without the code getting set, this may be the only way. (unless Jason has a different idea)
Posted via Mobile Device

thats about all i've got with the limited info we have. i just know in my mind that he's got a vacuum problem. just where? the isc could be carboned up and sticking. i have seen that motor have an intake gasket leak. IIRC it has o rings and intermittently leak due to the temp and expansion/contraction. i would tell you to try the carb cleaner trick but dont know how mechancally inclined you are and would HATE for you to burn down your car. Gonzo has the best idea IMO but you have to do it WHEN ITS ACTING UP

cookster50
11-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Well, that stinks then. As for doing it when its acting up, pretty easy to do since it does it almost all the time now. I can still check the hoses to see if there is a rip, maybe I'll get lucky.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Try this website:

www.JASONSAUTO&Gonzohomerepair/pieceofshitcars.com

bevischief
11-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Go by what Gonzo and Bugeater says as a starting point