PDA

View Full Version : Life Raleigh, NC

Jilly
11-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Anyone live here or know anything about that area? I'm just curious.

Here's what I know so far:

1. Great colleges
2. Great schools
3. The beach is two hours away, the mountains are two hours away

What else?

Brock
11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
You're "just curious"? No, really, why?

rockymtnchief
11-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Durham Bulls baseball

Buddy Rich
11-23-2009, 02:50 PM
my friend Dave lives there. hell of a guitar player.

Rooster
11-23-2009, 02:54 PM
I hear Bill Cowher is nearby.

Jilly
11-23-2009, 02:55 PM
You're "just curious"? No, really, why?

I am....there was that thread a while back about some the best places to live and I noticed that Chapel Hill was on there, which is in the same vicinity....I was curious if anyone lived in NC...what else does it have to offer?

blaise
11-23-2009, 02:56 PM
I've visited. I stayed in the Durham area when I was there. I thought it was an awesome city. Seemed like there was a lot to do and good economy. I lived in Virginia before and the weather was good. Not too cold, but you get the change of seasons. I would guess Raleigh is similar but a little warmer.

rockymtnchief
11-23-2009, 02:59 PM
I hated the humidity. This Montana boy isn't used to that stuff.

Jilly
11-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I hated the humidity. This Montana boy isn't used to that stuff.

It's humid? What time of year were you there?

MichaelH
11-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I live in North Carolina, 2 hours SW of Raleigh. I work in Charlotte. They won't admit it but Charlotte desperately wants to be like Raleigh. The colleges. jobs and quality of life are very good, much better than here and many people love Charlotte. The weather is very good 9 months of the year. And it's not the deep south, it's doesn't get that hot. August and September do get uncomfortable at times but the sun is almost always shining and the people are very nice.

Donger
11-23-2009, 03:05 PM

Yes, it's humid.

Deberg_1990
11-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Sounds like Jilly got a potential job offer??

siberian khatru
11-23-2009, 03:08 PM
I spent most of my childhood in Winston-Salem, NC. I've BEEN to Raleigh. If you're looking for details like restaurants, schools, neighborhoods, etc., I can't help you.

All I can say is it's a fabulous area. It's not as "Southern" as it once was, especially the Research Triangle, which is more like Northern Virginia now (minus the traffic and living expenses). Still, climate and culture are really hard to beat. Plus, I just like cities of that size -- not too small, not too big, have all the amenities I'm looking for without being overcrowded or super expensive.

sedated
11-23-2009, 03:14 PM
f**k north carolina.

if I ever have the displeasure of being forced to go there, I will burn the m-f'r to the ground and piss on the ashes.

rockymtnchief
11-23-2009, 03:17 PM

I was there in July/August. It was the high 90's and kicking my ass. I've worked in other humid places, but it seemed worse there.

Jilly
11-23-2009, 03:17 PM
I spent most of my childhood in Winston-Salem, NC. I've BEEN to Raleigh. If you're looking for details like restaurants, schools, neighborhoods, etc., I can't help you.

All I can say is it's a fabulous area. It's not as "Southern" as it once was, especially the Research Triangle, which is more like Northern Virginia now (minus the traffic and living expenses). Still, climate and culture are really hard to beat. Plus, I just like cities of that size -- not too small, not too big, have all the amenities I'm looking for without being overcrowded or super expensive.

nah, that's all I'm looking for. I wonder what the people are like...are they crazy backwoods folks, or more earthy or more suburban soccer mom type people?

CHENZ A!
11-23-2009, 03:20 PM
People like Petey Pablo.
Posted via Mobile Device

redsurfer11
11-23-2009, 03:23 PM
I am....there was that thread a while back about some the best places to live and I noticed that Chapel Hill was on there, which is in the same vicinity....I was curious if anyone lived in NC...what else does it have to offer?

Low TAXES. (Until Obama finds out).

Skip Towne
11-23-2009, 03:23 PM
KU people call it Norf Cackalackie.

Rain Man
11-23-2009, 03:24 PM
I think it's got swamp monsters who occasionally come out and chew appendages off of people, but leave them alive so they can come back a few months later and get another appendage. Before buying a home, count the number of people missing arms and legs.

siberian khatru
11-23-2009, 03:25 PM
nah, that's all I'm looking for. I wonder what the people are like...are they crazy backwoods folks, or more earthy or more suburban soccer mom type people?

Soccer moms. Professionals. Like I said, Northern Virginia w/out the traffic and expenses.

Keep in mind, NC was never the Deep South, like Alabama or Mississippi. It never had that fire-eater secessionism like some other Southern states. It's been more ... refined. And now, the outside migration to the Research Triangle has further diluted its older Southern culture.

MichaelH
11-23-2009, 05:41 PM

Raleigh and Charlotte are mostly suburban soccer mom people. You do get the crazy woodsy backwoods folks 20 or so miles outside the cities but that happens in many places.

MichaelH
11-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Low TAXES. (Until Obama finds out).

This is not true. North Carolina taxes are amongst the highest in the country. We even have a vehicle tax. There are no toll roads so we pay a tax on what we drive to fix the roads.

Pioli Zombie
11-23-2009, 05:48 PM
People there think Applebees is gourmet dining.
Posted via Mobile Device

CHIEFS58
11-23-2009, 06:00 PM
the mountains are 5 hours away. i know, i live here.

raleigh is a crap hole.

CHIEFS58
11-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Charlotte is probably better.

Mosbonian
11-23-2009, 06:05 PM
The best way to describe Raleigh....

Part Johnson County...Part Gladstone.....Part Raytown....with a small bit of Ozark thrown in when you get to the countryside.

mmaddog

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Lived in Fayetteville for 7 years. You'll like it there if you don't have a problem with murder and rape . Oh and the people . They're assholes !

JD10367
11-23-2009, 06:13 PM
In 1999 I drove my ex-g/f there from Syracuse, as she was moving for a job opportunity. It seemed like a decent little city at the time, a lot like Syracuse. Although Syracuse has stagnated since then, I think...

MichaelH
11-23-2009, 07:22 PM

Too many Nascar rednecks here. If you want a more refined culture, I say Raleigh wins.

Infidel Goat
11-23-2009, 07:37 PM
I spent most of my childhood in Winston-Salem, NC.

The Dash!

bevischief
11-23-2009, 07:44 PM
I think it's got swamp monsters who occasionally come out and chew appendages off of people, but leave them alive so they can come back a few months later and get another appendage. Before buying a home, count the number of people missing arms and legs.

This.

ROFL

ncCHIEFfan
11-23-2009, 07:48 PM
I am 2 hours away and that my dear is a bonus. I live in Winston Salem. NC is great. I did not grow up here and have been all around the world during my 8 year with USMC and I think when you add all that it offers, well its hard to beat. Humid? Yes but not like Florida or Arkansas Humid. We have jobs, 4 seasons, mountains, beaches, cities, rivers lakes....bla bla bla...I just dont think there is another state for a young ( still working, kids ect.. ) person that is better. JMO

ncCHIEFfan
11-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Oh and by they way the " illegal Imigrants " like it here too! ALOT!!!!

Mr. Flopnuts
11-23-2009, 09:10 PM
I've lived in a few different places across the country. Outside of my home here in Seattle, there isn't a place I'd rather be than Charlotte, NC.

Beautiful topography. Fantastic People. Cheap cost of living. This list goes on and on and on. I loved the Carolinas.

Terribilis
11-24-2009, 06:08 AM
I've lived in a few different places across the country. Outside of my home here in Seattle, there isn't a place I'd rather be than Charlotte, NC.

Beautiful topography. Fantastic People. Cheap cost of living. This list goes on and on and on. I loved the Carolinas.
this is true- I live in Durham. RTP is a great source if you work in Biotech. I love it here. I moved here the day after graduation from KU, and haven't looked back. My wife spent her whole life in Kansas, and she loves it here as well.

Friendo
11-24-2009, 06:31 AM
I was the last native out. Left in 1993, but still visit occasionally. It was more or less a town when I grew up, but it's def a City now. It has pretty much something for everyone, unless you're seeking a low cost of living. Called the "City of the Oaks", because it has pretty much retained it's natural beauty. Greenville SC is a similar town in many respects. Chapel Hill is a beautiful place, but like nothing else in NC. Probably more like Madison Wisc I would think. Fayetteville is the debil. PM me if you need more details.

Jack
11-24-2009, 07:34 AM
I spent a few days in Raleigh NC back in the late 70's. I remember breakfast the first morning and a charming but provincial young black waitress. It went like this:

Jack: "I'd like two eggs; up, side of ham; wheat toast and OJ".
Waitress: "How'd you like yo grits"?
Jack: "No grits, thank you".
Waitress: "Well. . .you want yo grits jes' boiled or fried"?
Jack: "I don't want any grits, but thank you".
Waitress: "Well", the waitress said chewing on her pencil, "I don know any other way than fried or boiled".
Jack: "Please no grits"
Waitress: "OK, anything else"?
Jack: "No Thanks".

Waitress brings my meal with a bowl of grits on the side.

Braincase
11-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Chapel Hill & Durham for Duke/North Carolina campus. Raleigh for NC State. Only place to get a decent steak is the Angus Barn.

Inspector
11-24-2009, 09:18 AM
It's close to Mt. Pilot and Mayberry.

If you drive through Mayberry, watch out for the deputy sherriff. Nervouse little guy who wants to throw everyone in jail with the town drunk.

Friendo
11-24-2009, 09:57 AM
I spent a few days in Raleigh NC back in the late 70's. I remember breakfast the first morning and a charming but provincial young black waitress. It went like this:

Jack: "I'd like two eggs; up, side of ham; wheat toast and OJ".
Waitress: "How'd you like yo grits"?
Jack: "No grits, thank you".
Waitress: "Well. . .you want yo grits jes' boiled or fried"?
Jack: "I don't want any grits, but thank you".
Waitress: "Well", the waitress said chewing on her pencil, "I don know any other way than fried or boiled".
Jack: "Please no grits"
Waitress: "OK, anything else"?
Jack: "No Thanks".

Waitress brings my meal with a bowl of grits on the side.

heh--as a Southerner, I used to be a tad self-conscious about the grit jokes until I heard about scrapple. Please--anyone who eats that shit has no business making fun of grits.

Jack
11-24-2009, 10:23 AM
heh--as a Southerner, I used to be a tad self-conscious about the grit jokes until I heard about scrapple. Please--anyone who eats that shit has no business making fun of grits.

Really happened. . .

What's scrapple?

Mr. Plow
11-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Really happened. . .

What's scrapple?

Scrapple (Pennsylvania Dutch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_German_language)) is traditionally a mush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mush_%28maize%29) of pork (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork) scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornmeal) and flour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour), often buckwheat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckwheat) flour and spices

Sounds pretty much like I thought it would....someone scraped their ass with an apple.

Jack
11-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Scrapple (Pennsylvania Dutch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_German_language)) is traditionally a mush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mush_%28maize%29) of pork (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork) scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornmeal) and flour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour), often buckwheat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckwheat) flour and spices

Sounds pretty much like I thought it would....someone scraped their ass with an apple.

Reckon grits do beat that.

Now "chitlens" or is it "chitlans", at any rate I fall short of eating an animals intestines.

Wonder how many know what sausage casings are made of?

Chief Pote
11-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong....but didn't Andy Griffith go to Raleigh on a regular basis? I always thought he had a good time when he went. :D

MichaelH
11-24-2009, 10:59 AM

You can't compare grits to scrapple. They're two totally different things. Grits should be compared to oats as in oatmeal. Scrapple is the northern equivalent of livermush. I know several people that make fun of scrapple but eat livermush religiously. I guess it depends on where you were born.

Bootlegged
11-24-2009, 11:07 AM
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/states/NC/Cornelius/0/?v=0&f=7&so=0

This is an older list - Marty bought a nice new pad in '08.

MichaelH
11-24-2009, 11:13 AM
http://virtualglobetrotting.com/states/NC/Cornelius/0/?v=0&f=7&so=0

This is an older list - Marty bought a nice new pad in '08.

Cornelius is just north of Charlotte, nowhere near Raleigh. All those homes are on or near Lake Norman. Otherwise known as the Redneck Riviera around here due to the fact that most are Nascar homes.

The Bad Guy
11-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Soccer moms. Professionals. Like I said, Northern Virginia w/out the traffic and expenses.

Keep in mind, NC was never the Deep South, like Alabama or Mississippi. It never had that fire-eater secessionism like some other Southern states. It's been more ... refined. And now, the outside migration to the Research Triangle has further diluted its older Southern culture.

I lived in Northern Virginia for 3 years. You are spot on. Traffic and expenses are brutal, just brutal.

patteeu
11-24-2009, 11:17 AM
It's close to Mt. Pilot and Mayberry.

If you drive through Mayberry, watch out for the deputy sherriff. Nervouse little guy who wants to throw everyone in jail with the town drunk.

Is his name J Diddy? :p :Poke:

Bootlegged
11-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Cornelius is just north of Charlotte, nowhere near Raleigh. All those homes are on or near Lake Norman. Otherwise known as the Redneck Riviera around here due to the fact that most are Nascar homes.

Interesting. I live in Cornelius and have never heard it called that. Myrtle Beach has that designation.

A lot of the drivers live in the area, but so do a lot of other wealthy people.

Marty S and Joe Gibbs live down the road - about 2 miles from each other.

Lake Norman...
http://www.lknfun.com/photo.aspx?I=79793&P=0&T=0&Z=0

RJ
11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
You can't compare grits to scrapple. They're two totally different things. Grits should be compared to oats as in oatmeal. Scrapple is the northern equivalent of livermush. I know several people that make fun of scrapple but eat livermush religiously. I guess it depends on where you were born.

Scrapple is some weird stuff, an acquired taste I suppose. I had never heard of livermush until I saw something on Travel Channel a few nights back, but it does sound a lot like scrapple.

I like posole and fried hominy, but grits not so much.

I think North Carolina would be a great place to live, despite all the Carolina and Duke fans. Beaches, mountains, mild climate, great golf, nice people.

Jilly
11-24-2009, 11:58 AM
so has anyone lived here to compare it to here? I wonder what's missing from Raleigh that one couldn't get in KC?

These are all helpful answers, btw. Well, except the grit vocabulary discussion!

Friendo
11-24-2009, 12:48 PM
this is true- I live in Durham. RTP is a great source if you work in Biotech. I love it here. I moved here the day after graduation from KU, and haven't looked back. My wife spent her whole life in Kansas, and she loves it here as well.

Love the DPAC--saw Steely Dan there a couple months back-what a palace!

http://www.dpacnc.com/

Friendo
11-24-2009, 12:51 PM
so has anyone lived here to compare it to here? I wonder what's missing from Raleigh that one couldn't get in KC?

These are all helpful answers, btw. Well, except the grit vocabulary discussion!

my cousin taught in Lawrence for many years and liked the area--I would say that the proximity to the Coast & the Great Smokies makes it unique...that & and the basketball :D

Jilly
11-24-2009, 01:54 PM
my cousin taught in Lawrence for many years and liked the area--I would say that the proximity to the Coast & the Great Smokies makes it unique...that & and the basketball :D

This is probably an ignorant question, but in the winter, can people ski in the Smokies?

MichaelH
11-24-2009, 01:57 PM
This is probably an ignorant question, but in the winter, can people ski in the Smokies?

North Carolina has the highest peaks east of the Mississippi. You ever hear of Mt. Mitchell?

Banner Elk is the highest resort in North Carolina.

http://www.skibeech.com/

Garcia Bronco
11-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Eastern North Carolina is generally a dump until you get to the OBX. Lake Norman is awesome...Asheville, but that's western NC. Raleigh is just an opportunity to wait in traffic.

Garcia Bronco
11-24-2009, 02:23 PM

It's humid year round causing brutal wind chill and oppressive summers.

Garcia Bronco
11-24-2009, 02:24 PM

There's all of it

Garcia Bronco
11-24-2009, 02:27 PM
I lived in Northern Virginia for 3 years. You are spot on. Traffic and expenses are brutal, just brutal.

The RT has just as much during rush hour as opposed to the all day affair in NOVA/DC.

RJ
11-24-2009, 02:28 PM
It's humid year round causing brutal wind chill and oppressive summers.

Afaik, the weather in North Carolina would be an improvement for someone living in KC.

Jilly
11-24-2009, 02:31 PM
North Carolina has the highest peaks east of the Mississippi. You ever hear of Mt. Mitchell?

Banner Elk is the highest resort in North Carolina.

http://www.skibeech.com/

This is certainly cool. I love skiing.

Garcia Bronco
11-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Afaik, the weather in North Carolina would be an improvement for someone living in KC.

That I do not not, Colorado is better than all of them. Heck...we get more days of sunshine per year than San Diego.

RJ
11-24-2009, 02:35 PM
That I do not not, Colorado is better than all of them. Heck...we get more days of sunshine per year than San Diego.

Yep. Best thing about New Mexico is 300 days of sunshine per year. At 5000 feet, the sun can be quite warm even in the middle of winter.

I never want to go through another East Coast winter, but it's probably better than a Midwest winter.

Jilly
12-09-2009, 11:12 AM
So what should I see in the basically one day I'm here? Keep in mind that this is not a trip in which I can explore much nightlife.

Simply Red
12-09-2009, 11:17 AM
People there think Applebees is gourmet dining.
Posted via Mobile Device

you're a goddamned fool.

patteeu
12-09-2009, 11:57 AM
So what should I see in the basically one day I'm here? Keep in mind that this is not a trip in which I can explore much nightlife.

I hear that Applebees has some top notch food there.

kcfanintitanhell
12-09-2009, 12:33 PM
According to my gf, who lives in Durham, it's currently 54 degrees there...where I am, south of KC, it's -9 wind chill...'nuff said.

Lbedrock1
12-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I live in North Carolina, 2 hours SW of Raleigh. I work in Charlotte. They won't admit it but Charlotte desperately wants to be like Raleigh. The colleges. jobs and quality of life are very good, much better than here and many people love Charlotte. The weather is very good 9 months of the year. And it's not the deep south, it's doesn't get that hot. August and September do get uncomfortable at times but the sun is almost always shining and the people are very nice.
Im trying to move to Charlotte from Atlanta. I really like charlotte it reminds me of what KC would be if you put atlanta on top of it.

crispystl
12-09-2009, 07:11 PM

I do I moved here from Columbia Missouri about a year ago ughhh. Worst mistake ever! For the record I live near Davidson. The weather is nice however.

crispystl
12-09-2009, 07:12 PM

Charlotte blows

sd4chiefs
12-09-2009, 07:37 PM

San Diego blows every other city away with its good weather. It also get more days of sunshine than Denver.

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/default.aspx?cat=CLIMATE&city=Denver_CO&ccity=San_Diego_CA&p=0820000&op=0666000

P.S. The cost of living sucks in San Diego.

Jilly
12-10-2009, 04:36 PM
In case anyone is curious I love it here and it's beautiful!!!! Thanks for the helpful info! I may need it at a later date!

thecoffeeguy
12-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Oh and by they way the " illegal Imigrants " like it here too! ALOT!!!!

That surprises me.

Whats the draw there?

MichaelH
12-10-2009, 04:42 PM
In case anyone is curious I love it here and it's beautiful!!!! Thanks for the helpful info! I may need it at a later date!

Are you visiting or moving here? It's actually a little cold right now if you can believe that. Enjoy your stay.

Jilly
12-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Are you visiting or moving here? It's actually a little cold right now if you can believe that. Enjoy your stay.

For the moment I am visiting. Actually about to board my plane to kc now. And the weather today has been gorgeous!!!

DEN 44 KC 13
12-10-2009, 05:15 PM
44-13ROFL