PDA

View Full Version : Football "Jesus" Is Disappointing...

Marco Polo
11-24-2009, 09:35 PM
From Rotoworld:

Rookie SLB Aaron Curry has been removed from the Seahawks' nickel package.
Now only a mere early-down linebacker, Curry is barely averaging five tackles a game. The No. 4 overall pick hasn't been nearly as effective as No. 16 overall pick Brian Cushing for the Texans. Seahawks GM Tim Ruskell should be kicking himself for drafting Curry over Eugene Monroe in April.

Mr. Laz
11-24-2009, 09:44 PM
wow ... cool, feel a little better about Jackson now.

still early though for all the rookies

pr_capone
11-24-2009, 09:50 PM
wow ... cool, feel a little better about Jackson now.

still early though for all the rookies

I don't. Jackson should already be playing at an all pro level.

What does he think he is playing??? Patty cake?!?!?

Mr. Laz
11-24-2009, 09:52 PM

i hope that's sarcasm.

Dlineman often struggle their first year

OnTheWarpath15
11-24-2009, 09:54 PM
i hope that's sarcasm.

Hell, most rookies struggle their 1st year regardless of position.

I think the guys like Matt Ryan and Cushing gives fans an unrealistic view of the adjustment period from CFB to the NFL.

pr_capone
11-24-2009, 09:59 PM
i hope that's sarcasm.

Heaping amounts of sarcasm. :)

Mr. Laz
11-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Heaping amounts of sarcasm. :)
i thought it probably was but you can never be certain. :)

DaneMcCloud
11-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Hell, most rookies struggle their 1st year regardless of position.

I think the guys like Matt Ryan and Cushing gives fans an unrealistic view of the adjustment period from CFB to the NFL.

Cushing, Maualuga and Matthews are all exceptions to rule.

It's not surprising that Curry is struggling because he was way overrated.

OnTheWarpath15
11-24-2009, 10:03 PM

You know who's been absolutely fucking stellar, and is getting absolutely no publicity for it?

James Laurinaitis.

DaneMcCloud
11-24-2009, 10:09 PM
You know who's been absolutely fucking stellar, and is getting absolutely no publicity for it?

James Laurinaitis.

Yeah, I know. Although I believe it was Peter King that gave him props the other day.

Buehler445
11-24-2009, 10:11 PM

James Laurinaitis.

Interesting. I don't even know who he plays for. I think the kid is a machine, but had questions about his speed.

DaneMcCloud
11-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Interesting. I don't even know who he plays for. I think the kid is a machine, but had questions about his speed.

Rams

OnTheWarpath15
11-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I know. Although I believe it was Peter King that gave him props the other day.

I must have missed it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-24-2009, 10:29 PM

Man I'm glad we passed on him. That's too much intensity. And for God's sake, his number was and still is 58; no good portent there whatsoever.

DaneMcCloud
11-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Man I'm glad we passed on him. That's too much intensity. And for God's sake, his number was and still is 58; no good portent there whatsoever.

The only reason Rey slipped to the second round is that just two weeks before the draft, there were rumors floated that he was only a "Two Down" player.

JFC, I wish those same rumors would have applied to Tyson Jackson.

OnTheWarpath15
11-24-2009, 10:40 PM
The only reason Rey slipped to the second round is that just two weeks before the draft, there were rumors floated that he was only a "Two Down" player.

Why?

Pioli would have taken him anyway, hell Jackson's only playing two downs now.

Psyko Tek
11-24-2009, 10:44 PM
i hope that's sarcasm.

specially if they go to KC
stilll waiting for dorsey to be the "dominate" figure he was supposed to be

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-24-2009, 10:48 PM

Why?

Jackson was projected at 16 wasn't he?

Reerun_KC
11-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Who cares anyway?

OnTheWarpath15
11-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Jackson was projected at 16 wasn't he?

Somewhere like that. I'd seen him as high as 12, as low as 20.

No one even considered him going early until Rick Gosselin's mock came out the night before the draft.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Who cares anyway?

Who cares about anything really?

GoHuge
11-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Not I said the mouse.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
11-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Why?

LMAO

I know

88TG88
11-24-2009, 11:07 PM

lol

What a crazy offseason that was.

Thig Lyfe
11-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Didn't Curry get off to a hot start?

KCrockaholic
11-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Didn't Curry get off to a hot start?

He was off to an o.k. start, doing decent for a rook. He has had a tough time in coverage lately though. But he has consistently made plays behind the LOS. Other than that, I can't say much. He's been a rookie. Just like any rookie, you have to give him atleast his rookie year and part of his 2nd year to show his full abilities. He's shown flashes of what he can do. Now he just needs to be consistent and quit trying so hard to make every play.

DaneMcCloud
11-25-2009, 01:02 AM
Where is Bdeg?

He was insistent that the Chiefs take Everette Brown at #3 overall.

Taco John
11-25-2009, 01:21 AM
I don't care what they may say, I don't care what they may do...

BossChief
11-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Dane,

I didnt really spend a lot of time on the board around the time before the draft, I just got the basic feeling that Orakpo was not gonna be the pick. What were the key points as to why the board disliked him so much?

DaneMcCloud
11-25-2009, 01:30 AM
Dane,

I didnt really spend a lot of time on the board around the time before the draft, I just got the basic feeling that Orakpo was not gonna be the pick. What were the key points as to why the board disliked him so much?

I think (and you can verify in the Draft forum) it's because first off, he was from Texas. Texas players haven't translated well to the NFL lately under Mack Brown. They "maxed out" in college.

Secondly, there was the question of his bulk and his overall ability.

But, that's going off of memory on a late night.

BossChief
11-25-2009, 01:40 AM
I think (and you can verify in the Draft forum) it's because first off, he was from Texas. Texas players haven't translated well to the NFL lately under Mack Brown. They "maxed out" in college.

Secondly, there was the question of his bulk and his overall ability.

But, that's going off of memory on a late night.

fair enough. I just really didnt want to have to sort through a thousand posts that are nothing but parrots repeating what they heard about him over and over. I appreciate it.

KCrockaholic
11-25-2009, 01:44 AM
Mecca had a funny quote about Orakpo..I think it was something like... "I'd rather wipe my ass with a toilet brush than draft Brian Orakpo"....Maybe I'm incorrect, but I know I'm close. He hated Orakpo because he was from Texas. I can't bash Mecca to much though. I think every year somebody is waaay off about a certain prospect and other times guys are pin-point on the money when making predictions about players.

Pioli Zombie
11-25-2009, 06:04 AM

Jackson is playing every bit as good as guys like Richard Seymour were playing after 10 games. He and MacGee will be just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

beach tribe
11-25-2009, 06:47 AM
I think Jackson has looked pretty good for a 1st year D-linemen.

Better than Jesus Curry. A 2 down LB.

Deberg_1990
11-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Ty Jack is going to be a solid player.

But is he going to be worthy of overall #3 money? Thats the question.

The 09 draft is looking sort of weak overall.

Demonpenz
11-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Orakpu seemed like another Hali great motor good production in college, but not the physical freak to get ALOT better. Mecca projected him to be a LDE not good enough to be a pick that high. He reminded me too much of mike mamula. Good build but already maxed out weight wise with his frame and play before he got to the nfl

Demonpenz
11-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Ty Jack is going to be a solid player.

But is he going to be worthy of overall #3 money? Thats the question.

The 09 draft is looking sort of weak overall.

the only question should be is he going to be a solid player. Why would you worry if he was #3 in the draft we are near the cap floor.

wild1
11-25-2009, 07:48 AM
the only question should be is he going to be a solid player. Why would you worry if he was #3 in the draft we are near the cap floor.

I said this in another thread, but if Jackson sticks around and starts for his entire career here and is just average to above average at the position, that will be fine.

The picks that turn out to be unspectacular but "OK" aren't the kind that really hurt your franchise, it's the picks like JaMarcus Russell that will do that, the ones where you get absolutely nothing. That is what will bury a team eventually.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-25-2009, 08:28 AM

Sorry, but, other than about conduct or off the field issues.... 'rumors' don't make a guy fall in the draft.

Every team spends millions of dollars on scouting.... a 'rumor' isn't dropping someone.

Just because a 'rumor' makes draft magazine readers think he should drop a round, doesn't mean that people who actually get paid to evaluate talent are affected by it at all.

MOhillbilly
11-25-2009, 08:37 AM
I think every year somebody is waaay off about a certain prospect and other times guys are pin-point on the money when making predictions about players.

ya think?

El Jefe
11-25-2009, 09:14 AM
You know who's been absolutely ****ing stellar, and is getting absolutely no publicity for it?

James Laurinaitis.

Yep, I was advocating us picking him in the draft all season.

Pablo
11-25-2009, 09:19 AM
You know who's been absolutely ****ing stellar, and is getting absolutely no publicity for it?

James Laurinaitis.You'll generally get no publicity for anything if you play for the Rams.

Chiefnj2
11-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Laurinaitis is a prime example of a kid who is a good football player for years on the field, but then he slips because of size/timing issues.

The first 4 defensive players are all underwhelming at this point - Jackson, Curry, Raji and Maybin. Hell, Maybin is third string and barely gets playing time.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-25-2009, 10:04 AM
I said this in another thread, but if Jackson sticks around and starts for his entire career here and is just average to above average at the position, that will be fine.

The picks that turn out to be unspectacular but "OK" aren't the kind that really hurt your franchise, it's the picks like JaMarcus Russell that will do that, the ones where you get absolutely nothing. That is what will bury a team eventually.

This is what so many fans just don't get. Football is a team sport. You have to have good players at all the positions to be a good team. If Tyson Jackson is a good starter for the next 12 years... then the Chiefs were smart in drafting him.

Of course the problem will be if the Chiefs get three years into this and then go back to a 4-3 and he has to move inside and then struggles.

I just assume that the Chiefs will stick with the 3-4, given Pioli's history.

Pablo
11-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Laurinaitis is a prime example of a kid who is a good football player for years on the field, but then he slips because of size/timing issues.
Same deal with Flowers really. Pretty much an undersized stud at VT, with an average 40 and good ball skills.

And he slipped to us....hells yeah.

swayy07
11-25-2009, 10:25 AM

no he is playin caken panta

Mr. Laz
11-25-2009, 10:29 AM
no he is playin caken panta
fail

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Jackson is playing every bit as good as guys like Richard Seymour were playing after 10 games. He and MacGee will be just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Whew! Well that's a load off my mind!

milkman
11-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Sorry, but, other than about conduct or off the field issues.... 'rumors' don't make a guy fall in the draft.

Every team spends millions of dollars on scouting.... a 'rumor' isn't dropping someone.

Just because a 'rumor' makes draft magazine readers think he should drop a round, doesn't mean that people who actually get paid to evaluate talent are affected by it at all.

Actually, it came out just before the draft that scouts thought he was just a two down player, and there was also something about an off field issue, though I can't remember exactly what that was

DaneMcCloud
11-25-2009, 08:42 PM

Sorry, as usual, you are ill-informed and commenting (as usual) about something you know nothing about.

ohiobronco2
11-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Yep, I was advocating us picking him in the draft all season.

Why, he plays in the Big slow. :D He was such an accomplished football player in college, I knew he would be special in the NFL. He has great instincts and slightly above average athleticism.

Chiefnj2
11-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Actually, it came out just before the draft that scouts thought he was just a two down player, and there was also something about an off field issue, though I can't remember exactly what that was

USC played him as a two down player.

ArrowheadMagic
11-25-2009, 09:58 PM
I was high on Curry. From what little I have seen this year of the Seahawks, I thought he played well. As disappointing as they have been, is coaching part of the problem?

SenselessChiefsFan
11-25-2009, 10:42 PM

I am not saying that the scouts didn't believe that. But, if so, they evaluated it for themselves.... they didn't hear some rumor and then suddenly drop the guy on the draft board.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Sorry, as usual, you are ill-informed and commenting (as usual) about something you know nothing about.

Happens around here a lot, otherwise, you wouldn't post.

You are still moronic if you think a scout is dropping him on the draft board based on a rumor that other scouts think he might not be an everydown player. A scout would view that as an opportunity.

Scouts aren't dumba$$ fans on message boards.... they actually know what they are looking at.... and aren't reading some draft magazine and regurgitating what it said trying to act like experts.

KCrockaholic
11-25-2009, 11:37 PM
I was high on Curry. From what little I have seen this year of the Seahawks, I thought he played well. As disappointing as they have been, is coaching part of the problem?

Coaching could be part of the problem, but I just think Curry is a guy that is going to have to take a year to be a top 10 or so LB. Give him a little time. Ernie Sims has sucked this year btw.

DaneMcCloud
11-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Happens around here a lot, otherwise, you wouldn't post.

You are still moronic if you think a scout is dropping him on the draft board based on a rumor that other scouts think he might not be an everydown player. A scout would view that as an opportunity.

Scouts aren't dumba$$ fans on message boards.... they actually know what they are looking at.... and aren't reading some draft magazine and regurgitating what it said trying to act like experts.

You're a fucking dipshit.

Rey was projected as a Top 15 player in nearly every mock until about two weeks before, when Mayock floated the idea that Rey was only a two down player.

He dropped to the top of the second because most GM's, like you, are fucking gutless fucking pussies.

Tell me how Rey's a 2 down 'backer now, Senseless.

DaneMcCloud
11-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Coaching could be part of the problem, but I just think Curry is a guy that is going to have to take a year to be a top 10 or so LB. Give him a little time. Ernie Sims has sucked this year btw.

Curry received waaaaaay too much media hype. Holmgren left the Seahawks in major disarray with shit for talent.

Poor decisions lead to a poor football team.

Curry's just a guy and nothing special. Certainly not an impact football player.

DBOSHO
11-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Sure glad we drafted tyson instead of this guy. We might not have had the pleasant suprise of tamba

DaneMcCloud
11-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Sure glad we drafted tyson instead of this guy. We might not have had the pleasant suprise of tamba.

BossChief
11-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Sure glad we drafted tyson instead of this guy. We might not have had the pleasant suprise of tamba

Tamba plays a completely different position...I dont get it.

greg63
11-26-2009, 01:19 AM
For a second I thought this was a thread best suited for DC. :p

SenselessChiefsFan
11-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Tamba plays a completely different position...I dont get it.

True, but had the Chiefs draft him, they may have let him play OLB. He has played well behind the line of scrimage this year, and he has struggled with coverage.... which is the opposite of what I expected.

That said, he is a rookie and linebacker is one of the hardest positions to play on a defense.... and it really depends on the DC on how hard it is to play.

The more complex and linebacker oriented the scheme, the harder it is.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-26-2009, 08:16 AM
You're a ****ing dipshit.

Rey was projected as a Top 15 player in nearly every mock until about two weeks before, when Mayock floated the idea that Rey was only a two down player.

He dropped to the top of the second because most GM's, like you, are ****ing gutless ****ing pussies.

Tell me how Rey's a 2 down 'backer now, Senseless.

I'm not saying he is. I am saying that the GM's aren't going to listed to Mayock and then suddenly drop him on their boards.

Do you even realize how much of a dumbass you are? Do you even realize how stupid you sound?

Franchises do their own homework. If Mayock said that, he probably got that information from a league source.

I am not saying that mistakes aren't made, but they are made based on their own work... not some freaking 'rumor' by a draft analyst.

Your stupidity is amazing. I am literally stunned that you have this opinion. I have read some really dumbass stuff on this board.... some of it, I wrote myself.

But, the theory that a GM, a scout, or anyone other than a fan would be swayed by Mayock, Kiper or any other draft 'expert'... is asinine.

Happy Thanksgiving.... I am thankful for you Dane.... because on bad day's.... I can think.... at least I'm not Dane. Thanks.... there are days I need that.

Tiger's Fan
11-26-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm not saying he is. I am saying that the GM's aren't going to listed to Mayock and then suddenly drop him on their boards.

Do you even realize how much of a dumbass you are? Do you even realize how stupid you sound?

Franchises do their own homework. If Mayock said that, he probably got that information from a league source.

I am not saying that mistakes aren't made, but they are made based on their own work... not some freaking 'rumor' by a draft analyst.

Your stupidity is amazing. I am literally stunned that you have this opinion. I have read some really dumbass stuff on this board.... some of it, I wrote myself.

But, the theory that a GM, a scout, or anyone other than a fan would be swayed by Mayock, Kiper or any other draft 'expert'... is asinine.

Happy Thanksgiving.... I am thankful for you Dane.... because on bad day's.... I can think.... at least I'm not Dane. Thanks.... there are days I need that.

lol rep for truth.