PDA

View Full Version : Life PARKING TICKET INJUSTICE!

ZepSinger
11-25-2009, 10:15 AM
So here's what happened. I work in downtown KC- sometimes, I end up parking on a sidestreet with 2 hour parking (no meters, just a sign indicating 2 hour parking). The other day, I parked in a spot at 11:30, proceeded to take my normal 90-minute lunch, and then went out to move my pickup. 90 minutes had elapsed. I know I'm right on the timeframe. So I find a parking ticket stuck under my wiper blade. It was pretty much unreadable, so I called the number- they looked up my ticket#, and said it was for expired(more than 2 hour) parking.

Now, I have no problem paying for a ticket when I committed an offense, but I was clearly under the allotted time limit here. The woman asked if I wanted to go to traffic court on this instead of paying the fine and I said 'hell YES I want to take this to court!!!'. So I'm scheduled for January 11.

So here's my question. Even tho I know I was in the right, how can I prove that they were wrong? I mean, there's no witnesses. Pretty much my word against hers. I was hoping to get some advise those those here who are either lawyers or have had this situation come up for them. Do I have any chance of beating this thing? And if I go to court and lose, will I also have to pay court costs?

Wondering if I should suffer the injustice and pay up or fight something this is possibly a lost cause....

Z

HC_Chief
11-25-2009, 10:17 AM
If the traffic cop shows at the court date you will lose. You can bring up "innocent until proven guilty", but it will do no good. Unless you get really lucky with the judge, they will side with the cop every time.

sedated
11-25-2009, 10:20 AM
you will probably lose, but if it helps I think typically the parking cops will use some method of marking a car so they can tell how long its been there. In lawrence they would put a chalk marking on one of the back tires.

ZepSinger
11-25-2009, 10:25 AM
you will probably lose, but if it helps I think typically the parking cops will use some method of marking a car so they can tell how long its been there. In lawrence they would put a chalk marking on one of the back tires.

They do that here too. Previous to parking in that spot, I had parked about a block away. I never looked that particular time, but I'm assuming that if they did mark the tires in that first spot, possibly the chark marks lined up from a previous parker in the second spot. Seems a little thin, but I suppose it's possible.

RJ
11-25-2009, 10:28 AM
I don't know about the ticket thing, but I am really impressed by that 90 minute lunch.

pr_capone
11-25-2009, 10:36 AM
So here's what happened. I work in downtown KC- sometimes, I end up parking on a sidestreet with 2 hour parking (no meters, just a sign indicating 2 hour parking). The other day, I parked in a spot at 11:30, proceeded to take my normal 90-minute lunch, and then went out to move my pickup. 90 minutes had elapsed. I know I'm right on the timeframe. So I find a parking ticket stuck under my wiper blade. It was pretty much unreadable, so I called the number- they looked up my ticket#, and said it was for expired(more than 2 hour) parking.

Now, I have no problem paying for a ticket when I committed an offense, but I was clearly under the allotted time limit here. The woman asked if I wanted to go to traffic court on this instead of paying the fine and I said 'hell YES I want to take this to court!!!'. So I'm scheduled for January 11.

So here's my question. Even tho I know I was in the right, how can I prove that they were wrong? I mean, there's no witnesses. Pretty much my word against hers. I was hoping to get some advise those those here who are either lawyers or have had this situation come up for them. Do I have any chance of beating this thing? And if I go to court and lose, will I also have to pay court costs?

Wondering if I should suffer the injustice and pay up or fight something this is possibly a lost cause....

Z

Bring up the fact you have a 90 minute lunch. Get your boss to put something on letterhead.

90 minute lunch does not equal 2 hours.

Done.

Rain Man
11-25-2009, 10:43 AM
If you fight this, you'll just end up in the basement of a CIA safehouse in Lithuania with your head being held underwater. Corrupt parking enforcement runs this country. The best you can do is call and complain and keep referring to them as "meter maids".

Garcia Bronco
11-25-2009, 10:47 AM

Z

Ask the meter maid to prove your car was there. Ask for pictures or anything else they might other than their word. You still might lose, but what the hey./......tell'em you'll take it to the Supreme Court. :)

The Franchise
11-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Still have your receipt from lunch? They usually have time stamps on those.

Coach
11-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Still have your receipt from lunch? They usually have time stamps on those.

This.

I would think that you should do the following:

1. Find the time stamp for the ticket.
2. Find the time stamp from the lunch recept.
3. You said you made a phonecall to the person with the ticket. I'm assuming you did it right on the spot, and not waiting until you got home or wherever your next location is.

Compare those three together, and if all three are less than 2 hours, you should be able to get off, IMHO.

seclark
11-25-2009, 10:56 AM
stand your ground, zep.
but watch out for tasers, bro.
sec

ZepSinger
11-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Ask the meter maid to prove your car was there. Ask for pictures or anything else they might other than their word. You still might lose, but what the hey./......tell'em you'll take it to the Supreme Court. :)

So will I have to pay for court costs should I lose? And what do those run nowadays?

Boise_Chief
11-25-2009, 11:10 AM
If you only moved it in the same block or 2 and didn't change sides of the street you will be screwed. I had that happen last summer in Boise

Garcia Bronco
11-25-2009, 11:12 AM
So will I have to pay for court costs should I lose? And what do those run nowadays?

Depends on the area. I have seen them as low as 45 dollars and and high as 200.

Pink Paradise 2010
11-25-2009, 11:20 AM
They are going to try to tear you apart and make you look like the most horrible person in the world. But you can try to keep an unmovable face on.... it might work.... good luck dude