PDA

View Full Version : Money Student loan repayment question/help

JOhn
11-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Ok here's my problem, I have a couple of outstanding student loans and because of some financial difficulties last year I fell behind in my payments. Because of that they were turned over to what I believe is a debt collection agency. The reason I say that, is they have not come across in their conversations with me as being one, or stated that they were. But what they have been pushing on me is a loan to me. Originally they said this would enable me to put my loans on a deferred status and I would have to make payments for 1 year and they would take it out of default. then after I filled out the paperwork, the story has changed and I would have to make a large initial payment with fairly large payments (to me at least) for 6 months before it would be taken out of default. And after reading the fine print I would be getting raped by fee's (interest) in the mean time. At this point I have basically told them to F off.

My question is this: Is there a legitimate way to get my loan out of default or at least deferred for a while until I can get back to were I can start making reasonable payments again? And if so who or were would I contact someone, besides this company.

The Franchise
11-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Can't you just get a financial hardship deferment?

JOhn
11-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Can't you just get a financial hardship deferment?

I don't know. I'm truly ignorant about all this. Were/who/how do i apply for one?

The Franchise
11-25-2009, 04:52 PM
I don't know. I'm truly ignorant about all this. Were/who/how do i apply for one?

Normally you apply for one through the company that has the loan. Who originally had the loan?

DaFace
11-25-2009, 05:00 PM
I know nothing about this, but it sounds like something that Flopnuts might be able to chime in on.

Bugeater
11-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Sounds like a predatory lending tactic to me. Run, don't walk away from this deal.

JOhn
11-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Normally you apply for one through the company that has the loan. Who originally had the loan?

hell I'm not even really sure about that. I lost all those papers in the divorce & ensuing chaos of the moves, etc.

I do have the original loan number but that's about all.

The Franchise
11-25-2009, 05:06 PM
hell I'm not even really sure about that. I lost all those papers in the divorce & ensuing chaos of the moves, etc.

I do have the original loan number but that's about all.

Well...check on your credit history and it should have a name and number of the establishment that gave you the loan. Call them and explain your situation to them and ask them about a financial hardship deferment. Then while it's deferred....make payments so the interest doesn't pile up.

wildcat09
11-25-2009, 05:16 PM
most institutions that give out loans have some sort of deferment plan, rather it be a forebearence or for financial hardship. You first must find out who originally issued the loan. You may also contact the school you went to. They should have on record somewhere who paid the money.

Bwana
11-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Well...check on your credit history and it should have a name and number of the establishment that gave you the loan. Call them and explain your situation to them and ask them about a financial hardship deferment. Then while it's deferred....make payments so the interest doesn't pile up.

This

Mr. Flopnuts
11-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Don't ever tell anyone where you work. Deny, deny, deny. You're unemployed. And when it's time to start making payment, you're self employed.

Same goes with your bank account information. Don't even tell them where you bank. They can literally subpoena that bank and demand funds from any account with your social security number attached to it.

By protecting your assets it puts you in power for negotiating with collection agencies.

If this company is trying to loan you money, they're not a collection agency. Pest nailed it when he suggested that you ask about hardship deferments, and while you don't have to prove anything to a collection agency, the financial institution who loaned the money will probably require you to prove it. The easiest way to do that is going to the unemployment department and getting a printout of your wages. It'll show you're not working.