PDA

View Full Version : Royals Royals sign Erik Bedard to a 1 year deal?

Sure-Oz
11-25-2009, 09:54 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/297065-risky-royals-kc-signs-erik-bedard?utm_campaign=buzztap&utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

The Kansas City Royals have signed southpaw Erik Bedard to a one year deal worth a reported $3.2 million. KC is obviously taking a risk here, but I like the deal. Bedard was once an ace, until recent injuries with the M's. Lets point out the good's to this deal.

THE POSITIVES

The royals are in need of a lefty to fill out their rotation. Bedard could fill that role and could also return to his ace form that he was with the O's. As long as Bedard stays healthy, this was a great deal for the royals. They didn't spend much for someone who can put up big numbers barring injury. Bedard thrives in low-key places, and where better than KC.

No official link yet...but apparently we have been trying hard to sign him...and DM has denied rumors of us going after him 'hard'.

RedThat
11-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Very good pitcher

Sure-Oz
11-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Bedard discussed as Royals search for lefty

Erik Bedard, the injured warrior late of the Mariners, was linked to Kansas City by yahoo.com which reported the Royals were "going hard" after the free-agent left-hander.

"He's certainly a name we've talked about and will continue to talk about," said Royals assistant general manager J.J. Picollo, "but I think that's probably an overstatement. Right now there's a free-agent pool out there and we're looking into every one of those guys. And with Erik being left-handed it stands out a little bit more."

The Royals would like to add a left-hander to the rotation but Bedard would be a risk after missing the second half of last season because of shoulder surgery. He did well for the Mariners prior to that, though, with a 5-3 record and 2.82 ERA in 15 games.

"I think there's a lot of research that has to go into Erik before we get to that stage because of his past injuries and he's coming off another one this year," Picollo said.

Bedard, 30, went a combined 28-14 for the Orioles in 2006-07 but struggled with injuries in both seasons after being dealt to the Mariners in 2008. He had a $7.75-million contract last season. He didn't pitch after July 25 and his latest surgery came on Aug. 14..

this is the closest thing to being a 'legit' link but something tells me that we will sign him if it hasn't happend.

doomy3
11-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Damn, I hope this is true. Could prove to be an awesome signing, and I think this is the kind of risk the Royals should be taking.

RJ
11-25-2009, 10:09 PM
That would be a great deal for the Royals. If the dude is healthy, he's an all-star type pitcher.

Sure-Oz
11-25-2009, 10:11 PM
I hope this happens....this is the only report with numbers that ive seen. Not a legit source but i know we are trying to get him. If it's one year and he does solid i could see him either re-signed or traded for a few solid prospects. Either way i hope it happens

Sure-Oz
11-25-2009, 10:15 PM
I will say this...this report from what i've read also thought Grienke would be traded to the Brewers.

ArrowheadMagic
11-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Severely limit his innings. At this point of the off season, a team as strapped for cash(?) as we are, the money can be spent elsewhere. Minor league deal in late Jan. would have been a better deal. Dude cant stay healthy. Helluva 4th or 5th starter though.

RJ
11-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Severely limit his innings. At this point of the off season, a team as strapped for cash(?) as we are, the money can be spent elsewhere. Minor league deal in late Jan. would have been a better deal. Dude cant stay healthy. Helluva 4th or 5th starter though.

But if $3.2 mil is true, that would be a smoking deal for the Royals.

ArrowheadMagic
11-25-2009, 10:35 PM
But if $3.2 mil is true, that would be a smoking deal for the Royals.

Depends on where he is on his recoup. A very effective pitcher when healthy, we also seem to over use guys. Arm injuries just dont go away. He needs to be used right and we dont have a MGR that uses pitchers correctly. IMO, this deal could have been done in lat JAN. after we filled some offensive holes. Dont hate we signed him, just the timing and reported money.

Sure-Oz
11-25-2009, 10:36 PM
This isn't official yet...

ArrowheadMagic
11-25-2009, 10:38 PM
This isn't official yet...

True, just dont like spending that kind of cash on a guy for 3 months of service.

SPATCH
11-25-2009, 10:45 PM
True, just dont like spending that kind of cash on a guy for 3 months of service.

HEY!

you save that kind of pessimism until we're tanking in mid-July

ArrowheadMagic
11-25-2009, 10:49 PM
HEY!

you save that kind of pessimism until we're tanking in mid-July

LOL, thats about the time he gets injured. Like the deal if he is around 130-150 innings for a season. Still not enough to justify 3 mil. As long as he helps get us through the summer until training camp.

alnorth
11-25-2009, 10:51 PM
I literally see no downside to this. None whatsoever, if he's available pull the trigger. I dont believe the numbers in this report because its the damn bleacher report, but other sources are saying the Royals are gunning hard for him.

The rumor is he can't get a decent multi-year deal so he may have to settle for a cheap contract loaded with performance incentives as a 1-year audition. I'm fine with the Royals giving him that audition.

If he's injured, we have other fallback options and we don't lose much money.

If he's not injured there's no reason to believe he wouldnt be a pretty good pitcher while healthy. If he performs well, Gil does what we all think he's capable of and Greinke is lights-out again... well, in this crappy division we play in, who knows.

If he's great and the Royals suck again, we go the Oakland A's route and either trade him at the deadline, or if he qualifies as a type-B or type-A free agent we let him walk and cash in on draft picks.

All for a few million bucks and a 1-year commitment. I don't care if he's not really interested in KC long-term, you do that deal.

ArrowheadMagic
11-25-2009, 10:58 PM
I literally see no downside to this. None whatsoever, if he's available pull the trigger. I dont believe the numbers in this report because its the damn bleacher report, but other sources are saying the Royals are gunning hard for him.

The rumor is he can't get a decent multi-year deal so he may have to settle for a cheap contract loaded with performance incentives as a 1-year audition. I'm fine with the Royals giving him that audition.

If he's not injured there's no reason to believe he wouldnt be a pretty good pitcher while healthy. If he performs well, Gil does what we all think he's capable of and Greinke is lights-out again... well, in this crappy division we play in, who knows.

If he's great and the Royals suck again, we go the Oakland A's route and either trade him at the deadline, or if he qualifies as a typeB or type-A free agent we let him walk and cash in on draft picks.

All for a few million bucks and a 1-year commitment. I don't care if he's not really interested in KC long-term, you do that deal.

Agree if he stays healthy. Injured again? not so much. Quality lefties are hard to find, guy is good for 3 to 4 months. 1. Is 3 mil a good price for a couple months of service? B. Could that 3 mil be better used somewhere else for 6 months? Pitching and defense win championships. Over a 6 month season, you need an offense to get you into a position to use that pitching and defense. Too much money for a guy who most likely wont be relevant in Aug and Sept.

Mr. Laz
11-25-2009, 11:02 PM
wait ... i didn't see the word Utility in this Royals report? :eek:

doomy3
11-25-2009, 11:07 PM

If he's great and the Royals suck again, we go the Oakland A's route and either trade him at the deadline, or if he qualifies as a type-B or type-A free agent we let him walk and cash in on draft picks.

Couldn't agree more. Can't believe ANYONE would complain about this. Bedard, Ben Sheets, etc, are the exact types of guys I think the Royals should be targeting. High upside guys with question marks that could pay huge dividends. And $3.2 Million isn't all that much, especially for a guy with top of the rotation stuff.

cabletech94
11-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Nice find Oz!
Forever the optimist!
Go Royals!!!

ArrowheadMagic
11-25-2009, 11:18 PM
$million$ a month starter, your right, its what this team is missing.

KChiefs1
11-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Now this is a signing I could live with.

SPATCH
11-25-2009, 11:27 PM
$million$ a month starter, your right, its what this team is missing.

why are u fixated with this idea that he'll be hurt in THREE months... why not four or five? why not three days?

are you a goddamn fortune teller or something?

this would be a great signing. quit trying to poop all over it

ArrowheadMagic
11-25-2009, 11:36 PM
why are u fixated with this idea that he'll be hurt in THREE months... why not four or five? why not three days?

are you a goddamn fortune teller or something?

this would be a great signing. quit trying to poop all over it

Its not the signing.... its the money..... we are after all a franchise that cant spend as much as everyone else. Dont spend on a name in Nov. 3 mil could be used to find a guy who can actually produce runs. Outside of having a manager who doesnt use pitchers correctly and signing someone who becomes your 3rd highest paid pitcher with 3 yrs running of arm problems.... yes its money not well spent. In Jan. he could be had for half the money. But yes, there is no need for offense in KC....

doomy3
11-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Its not the signing.... its the money..... we are after all a franchise that cant spend as much as everyone else. Dont spend on a name in Nov. 3 mil could be used to find a guy who can actually produce runs. Outside of having a manager who doesnt use pitchers correctly and signing someone who becomes your 3rd highest paid pitcher with 3 yrs running of arm problems.... yes its money not well spent. In Jan. he could be had for half the money. But yes, there is no need for offense in KC....

How the fuck do you know he could have been had in January for half the money? $3.2 MM for a guy of Bedard's caliber is peanuts. If he can stay relatively healthy, he would be a steal. $3.2 MM is what we signed guys like Yabuta and Tomko for.

We get that you know he will get hurt, and we all know we need offense.

A rotation of Greinke, Meche, Bedard, whatever is a pretty nice start though.

ArrowheadMagic
11-26-2009, 12:01 AM
How the **** do you know he could have been had in January for half the money? $3.2 MM for a guy of Bedard's caliber is peanuts. If he can stay relatively healthy, he would be a steal. $3.2 MM is what we signed guys like Yabuta and Tomko for.

We get that you know he will get hurt, and we all know we need offense.

A rotation of Greinke, Meche, Bedard, whatever is a pretty nice start though.

I agree if he stays healthy. I dont dislike the signing. No I dont think he gets used right. Is there enough offense to get us to where a 3 man rotation/playoffs make a difference? Enough teams looking for pitching, that made the playoffs and didnt out bid us. He isnt the missing piece. Its a lot of money to spend on a guy that ,even if healthy, isnt the missing piece.

If we arent producing runs, tell me how a guy with arm problems helps us? How is this different than Guillen?

Jerm
11-26-2009, 12:14 AM
I would think this would be breaking elsewhere if true.
Posted via Mobile Device

alnorth
11-26-2009, 12:18 AM
update, as expected this story has regressed from "confirmed deal" back into "strong rumor".

The einstein who originally authored this article followed up with this:

hey my bad guys, i didnt do this to piss anyone off. i read it on kingsofkaufman so i thought it was true..

Thats why no one trusts the bleacher report without confirmation.

ArrowheadMagic
11-26-2009, 12:21 AM
heh....

Sure-Oz
11-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Let's hope it's a strong possibility...

I kind've wondered but i hope this gets done.

CaliforniaChief
11-26-2009, 12:54 AM
:shake:

You guys are SO gullible. Stick to good sources like I do.

Wikipedia says nothing about it. So it's rumor. :D