PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What was the biggest factor in the turnaround?

BossChief
11-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Name the biggest factor, in your opinion, of what sparked the turnaround the last few weeks. I have to say Chambers, the guy is giving us another legitimate option that is letting Cassel have more options to work with.

Cutting LJ is a close second, to me, because the insertion of Charles to the offense has definitely sparked it in many ways.

CrazyPhuD
11-26-2009, 02:33 AM
No offense but what turn around? We've won two games....good...but by no means are we out of the woods yet...

BossChief
11-26-2009, 02:37 AM
we are 3-2 in our last 5 games after starting 0-5. We just beat the world champs. That is a turnaround.

I understand we might go right back into a big losing streak, but I doubt it. These kids have worked their tails off and are starting to "get it" imo.

Pablo
11-26-2009, 02:43 AM
Winning. That pretty much cures everything else.

Hammock Parties
11-26-2009, 02:50 AM
OL improvements + Chambers + Charles

The OL took huge steps forward the last three weeks and you really saw it last week inparticular. Even giving up five sacks...

Had we played the Steelers in the first month it would have looked like the Philly game.

Tribal Warfare
11-26-2009, 02:56 AM
No offense but what turn around? We've won two games....good...but by no means are we out of the woods yet...

I concur

BossChief
11-26-2009, 03:06 AM
rereading my opening statement again, I want to say that I am not saying we have arrived at all. Just asking what you think was the biggest factor in how we have played in the last 5 games compared to how we played in the first 5.

thats all.

kcfanXIII
11-26-2009, 03:09 AM
i hate how any time someone wants to say something positive about the last few weeks, someones gotta come along and just remind every one we're still only 3-7, and we aren't great yet. fine, you know what? i'm STILL gonna enjoy some improved football from what i've seen the past 3 years. i'm gonna allow myself, just a little bit of hope, that things might not be so bad after all. for chirst's sake, i've heard no one say we're gonna make a run at the division here, or anything even kcjohnny-esque. just stfu and let us enjoy it, k?

BossChief
11-26-2009, 03:09 AM
Had we played the Steelers in the first month it would have looked like the Philly game.

this

Makes the Chargers game very, very interesting. They have more to play for and we might have a letdown game after such an emotional win, but what do we start to think if we win?

Have you noticed how basically everyone on the OM is fearing our game next week?

KCChiefsMan
11-26-2009, 03:12 AM
coaching

kcfanXIII
11-26-2009, 03:16 AM
this

Makes the Chargers game very, very interesting. They have more to play for and we might have a letdown game after such an emotional win, but what do we start to think if we win?

Have you noticed how basically everyone on the OM is fearing our game next week?

i don't make a habit of trolling, so no i haven't noticed.

pikesome
11-26-2009, 03:16 AM

Depends on how you define "out of the woods". We're 1 game better than last year. It might be out of the woods but we're still on the shoulder of some Georgian wilderness road.

BossChief
11-26-2009, 03:18 AM
i hate how any time someone wants to say something positive about the last few weeks, someones gotta come along and just remind every one we're still only 3-7, and we aren't great yet. fine, you know what? i'm STILL gonna enjoy some improved football from what i've seen the past 3 years. i'm gonna allow myself, just a little bit of hope, that things might not be so bad after all. for chirst's sake, i've heard no one say we're gonna make a run at the division here, or anything even kcjohnny-esque. just stfu and let us enjoy it, k?

Most here LOVE the Chiefs, as I do, otherwise we wouldn't still be here talking about them so passionately after such a legendary bad run the last couple years.

The more we win, the more the homers will let their flags fly again. BUT most fans are still guarded and wont believe it to be true and embrace it, till we keep this up and show it isnt just a couple of fluke wins. We have been hurt too much to just "let the cheating x back in the house so easily".

I understand why, I spend a lot of time and money on the team and have been let down a lot in recent years.

Its a trust issue. The team has to EARN back that trust they once had, that was unwavering until the abyss called us.

I fully believe that a lot of homers were beat down and killed by Herm and turned into pessimists in the last couple years and a lot will let it fly again in time, but others have been scarred permanently.

BossChief
11-26-2009, 03:22 AM
i don't make a habit of trolling, so no i haven't noticed.

first, I was saying that to gochiefs he frequents the site. second, it isnt trolling to go to opposing team sites to get an opposing team fans views of your team. Sometimes they have more realistic views that fans "from the inside out" instead of the outside in. Trolling is just posting fictional stuff to try to generate a reaction...hence the term "troll" because you are "trolling for responces"

A lot of people here would be surprised how much closer to reality fans are about us on other sites than some are here. Not always and you have to sort through the emotional posts, but you can get some great stuff from some opposing teams fans.

kcfanXIII
11-26-2009, 03:40 AM
first, I was saying that to gochiefs he frequents the site. second, it isnt trolling to go to opposing team sites to get an opposing team fans views of your team. Sometimes they have more realistic views that fans "from the inside out" instead of the outside in. Trolling is just posting fictional stuff to try to generate a reaction...hence the term "troll" because you are "trolling for responces"

A lot of people here would be surprised how much closer to reality fans are about us on other sites than some are here. Not always and you have to sort through the emotional posts, but you can get some great stuff from some opposing teams fans.

its all good man, i see what you're saying. i do have an account over there, but the absolute lack of any common sense commonly associated with donkey fans gives me a headache. are they really afraid of the chiefs?

Rausch
11-26-2009, 03:42 AM
I voted Chambers 'cause there was no "it's only 2 fucking games" option...

kcfanXIII
11-26-2009, 03:45 AM
Most here LOVE the Chiefs, as I do, otherwise we wouldn't still be here talking about them so passionately after such a legendary bad run the last couple years.

The more we win, the more the homers will let their flags fly again. BUT most fans are still guarded and wont believe it to be true and embrace it, till we keep this up and show it isnt just a couple of fluke wins. We have been hurt too much to just "let the cheating x back in the house so easily".

I understand why, I spend a lot of time and money on the team and have been let down a lot in recent years.

Its a trust issue. The team has to EARN back that trust they once had, that was unwavering until the abyss called us.

I fully believe that a lot of homers were beat down and killed by Herm and turned into pessimists in the last couple years and a lot will let it fly again in time, but others have been scarred permanently.

don't get me wrong, we're not super bowl bound or anything close yet. i know this, and i think everyone else does too. but there's nothing wrong with enjoying the bright spot while we can.

Pioli Zombie
11-26-2009, 08:03 AM
No no no. Mecca and them say you can't enjoy it until they win the Super Bowl. Then you can enjoy it.
Posted via Mobile Device

jAZ
11-26-2009, 08:22 AM

I'd agree with the spirit of this post, but don't look at our last 5 games... you might notice we have a winning record (3-2).

We haven't turned around, but we've done more than win a mere 2 games.

Coogs
11-26-2009, 08:22 AM

This is the part of rebuilding that makes it all worth it. It's the journey that makes the final destination worth it. Many here became Chiefs fans when they were already good in the 90's. Some of us were here through the trying times of the 70's and 80's. When the 90's rolled around, there were wins like the one Sunday against the Steelers. Ones you savored instead of taking for granted once the team got good. Ones that really made you look forward to the next week to see if it is just a mirage or is it real. Can't wait until Sunday! No matter what happens.

Coogs
11-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Oh, and for the poll, I am going to go in a very close, close order...

1. LJ gone / Charles in.
2. Chambers
3. Continuing to buy into the system by the players

Bane
11-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Slowly but surely getting the cancers and bums out of the locker room,and the players are tired of being losers!

RedThat
11-26-2009, 08:34 AM
I agree with Chambers and Charles being big contributors to the teams turnaround in the last few weeks. Id also like to add a big difference to me is the defense as well. Its making the timely plays needed by either forcing turnovers or making a sack, a stop at critical moments in the games.

RedThat
11-26-2009, 08:37 AM
OL improvements + Chambers + Charles

The OL took huge steps forward the last three weeks and you really saw it last week inparticular. Even giving up five sacks...

The Oline played like crap in the 1st half of the Steeler game, but in the 2nd half they were really good. I don't know what happened? Or what type of adjustments Haley made or what message he sent to those men, but whatever it was, it worked.

MahiMike
11-26-2009, 08:39 AM
As a poll choice goes, LJ's departure is THE biggest reason we have life on offense. Charles looked awesome last week and made several 1st downs that got us the win. Team-wise, you could see we were starting to come together before we won. As for the Steelers game in particular, we had a lot go our way. BUT - one could argue that good teams make their own luck. And what I saw more than anything in that game was 45 guys playing up to and maybe past their potential. That's coaching.

MahiMike
11-26-2009, 08:40 AM
The Oline played like crap in the 1st half of the Steeler game, but in the 2nd half they were really good. I don't know what happened? Or what type of adjustments Haley made or what message he sent to those men, but whatever it was, it worked.

Adjustments and play calling. I've figured Haley out. He plays conservative the 1st 3 qtrs to keep the game close then he gives Cassel the green light to throw deep which helps the blocking schemes.

BossChief
11-26-2009, 04:54 PM

I still cant believe our line has been soo bad that in a second half where we gave up a couple sacks that one resulted in a turnover as being "really good".

I remember having a oline that wouldnt give that up in a whole game and if they did, it was considered a failure.

God, I hope these guys keep getting better and we never have to go through a rebuild again...

RustShack
11-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Its all the Pioli/Haley players everyone bitched about us signing and having a locker room full of players who fit in and buy into the system and aren't cancers like LJ and Pollard.
Team full of good headed hard working players all on the same page > More talented cancer players.

Aries Walker
11-26-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm going with the 'LJ was a cancer' theory. Naturally, just after as I spent a hundred pigs on an authentic JOHNSON jersey was when I read he was beating up his girlfriend, whinging about his salary, and destroying the morale of his team, but what can you do. Maybe I can wear it on Halloween some year, as an undead football player or something.

Easy 6
11-26-2009, 07:18 PM

1. LJ gone / Charles in.
2. Chambers

Think i'll go with this.

Jamaal creates where Larry stumbled.

Chambers has been balls out MONEY so far.

Especially after last week, i think this team will now climb aboard 100%.

bevischief
11-26-2009, 07:28 PM

1. LJ gone / Charles in.
2. Chambers

this

mitch96
11-26-2009, 07:34 PM
i would say charles chambers and cutting lj

Halfcan
11-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Chambers has been awesome but the D has made some big plays when we needed them as well

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Who are we talking about here?

WilliamTheIrish
11-26-2009, 08:37 PM
If it's a matter of degrees, I'd say we've turned the ship about 45*. Yes, we did win last week and that felt great. But this team could still lose out. That's not a prediction, just a reflection of the talent.

We'll turn those other 45* when the OL and DL is brought up to NFL standards. It's that last 45* that's the most difficult.

Halfcan
11-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I think we are in for an ass beating this week but we will see

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-26-2009, 08:45 PM
The "turnaround" is learning how to close out a game and re-learning to WIN.

Consistently.

The mind set of some of these guys who are still employed post-Herm is just as damaging as any lack of talent. It's learning how to "get up" every week( like they did for Pitt )instead of giving up.

milkman
11-26-2009, 09:09 PM
The loss of Mike Goff.

ChiefsCountry
11-26-2009, 09:17 PM
In the games we have won, Cassel has targeted Bowe and Chambers. Bowe had a big day against the Redskins, Chambers against the Steelers and both made big plays against the Raiders. Get the ball into your playmakers hands and not scrubs like he had been doing.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-26-2009, 09:20 PM
The loss of Mike Goff.

The "loss" of Mike Vrabel. It's too bad an injury had to get one of the Sacred Cows off the field, but oh well; them's the breaks.

RippedmyFlesh
11-26-2009, 10:00 PM
The schedule
Not even a choice in poll.
Its the same reason denver came back down to earth.

Fish
11-26-2009, 10:47 PM
LOL... Game 1 we gave up 501 yds, and lost the TOP battle 40min to 20min. Last week we gave up 515 yds, and lost the TOP battle 44min to 22min.

Turnaround? Seriously?

We won. And I enjoyed the shit out of it. But calling it a turnaround is like saying the economy is fixed....

Fritz88
11-26-2009, 10:49 PM

talastan
11-26-2009, 10:50 PM
LJ being cut IMO, without the overpaid, crybaby as a weapon it has forced Haley to be creative in his playcalling. It also got rid of a non-producing cancer and got the attention and respect of the rest of the team. I don't think we've offically turned the corner yet though.

DaFace
11-26-2009, 11:31 PM
The use of the word "turnaround" here is a bit much. If we win against SD to make it three in a row, I'll start considering that to be a turnaround. As it is, we won in a shitty game against a shitty team and got some breaks to win against the Steelers. It was a good win, no doubt, but you have to do it more than once for it to really mean anything.

chiefzilla1501
11-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Look, I'm glad we've won 3 of the last 5 and most people would probably say I'm a homer more often than I am a negative guy.

But the #1, #2, #3 reason the Chiefs are where we are is because the others teams we beat in those 3 games didn't want to win. The win against Oakland was one of the sloppiest wins I've seen in years. The win in Washington was a win against a hapless offense who can't score against anybody. And the win against Pittsburgh was due to Big Ben dominating the defense and then for some reason throwing some head-scratchingly bad throws in the red zone for INTs.

Sorry. But while I see improvements in some areas, I'm not going to say things are going a lot better when we've played, in my opinion, unbelievably sloppy in 4 of the last 5 games. The Pitt game was one of the few games all season where our team didn't continually shoot ourselves in the foot.

Reaper16
11-26-2009, 11:44 PM
The schedule

Winner.

Redrum_69
11-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Name the biggest factor, in your opinion, of what sparked the turnaround the last few weeks.

your moms tight ass

LaChapelle
11-27-2009, 02:05 AM
If this was a turn around to you
i'd get some seasickness pills

BossChief
11-27-2009, 04:57 AM
The schedule
Its the same reason denver came back down to earth.

I know the teams we played to open were stronger that the games since, but...

combined record of teams we played in games 1-5: 28-25

Combined record of teams we played in games 6-10: 25-26

The use of "turnaround" was used in reflection of win/loss ratio.

1st 5 games: 0 wins 5 losses

next 5 games: 3 wins 2 losses

last 6 games:

@SD
Den
Buff
Cleveland
@Cincy
@den

Should be very telling in how we play in those final games.

milkman
11-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Look, I'm glad we've won 3 of the last 5 and most people would probably say I'm a homer more often than I am a negative guy.

But the #1, #2, #3 reason the Chiefs are where we are is because the others teams we beat in those 3 games didn't want to win. The win against Oakland was one of the sloppiest wins I've seen in years. The win in Washington was a win against a hapless offense who can't score against anybody. And the win against Pittsburgh was due to Big Ben dominating the defense and then for some reason throwing some head-scratchingly bad throws in the red zone for INTs.

Sorry. But while I see improvements in some areas, I'm not going to say things are going a lot better when we've played, in my opinion, unbelievably sloppy in 4 of the last 5 games. The Pitt game was one of the few games all season where our team didn't continually shoot ourselves in the foot.

I can't remember one of the interceptions by Studebaker, but the int that Studebaker returned 96(?) yards wasn't a headscratingly bad throw.

It was an errant throw because Hali hit his arm as he was throwing.

Some of you dumbasses need to watch closer so you actually know what the **** you're talking about.

Rain Man
11-28-2009, 11:35 AM
When you consider changes in our lineup from opening day, you've got...

Charles in for LJ
Chambers now in for Bowe (only one game)
I have no idea on the other wide receiver spot. Wade in for Bradley or something?
Pope in for Ryan
O'Callaghan in for ... who was our opening right tackle? It wasn't Ndukwe, was it?
Smith and/or Alleman in for Goff (only one game)
McGraw in for Page
Studebaker in for Vrabel (only one game)
Was Jackson an opening day starter, or someone else?
Edwards in for Tyler

That's a lot of changing around in the middle of the season.

That said, I think it's more the system, but they're also doing a lot of shuffling to get the right players on the field.

Rain Man
11-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Now that I think about it, who's started every game this year?

Offense:

LJ/Charles - No
Cox -Yes
Cassel - No
Bowe/Chambers - No
Bradley/Wade - No
Ryan/Pope - No
Albert - No
Waters - Yes
Niswanger - No
Goff/Alleman/Smith - No
Ndukwe/O'Callaghan - No
Page/McGraw - No
Brown - Yes? Was he the initial starter?
Flowers - No
Carr - Yes
Hali - Yes
Vrabel/Studebaker - No
Williams - Yes
Mays - Yes? (Did he miss a start?)
Jackson - Yes? (Was he the opening day starter?)
Dorsey - Yes
Edwards/Tyler - No

So our fullback and our left guard are the only guys who haven't missed a start or been replaced on offense, and 7 of our 11 defenders have.

Tiger's Fan
11-28-2009, 11:41 AM

Yeah, those other teams just didn't want to win.

JFC man, can you hear yourself trying to think? Probably not.

boogblaster
11-28-2009, 11:56 AM
The offense has improved ... better running more downfield passing ..
The defense has improved some but has been lucky too ..
Our Special-teams has improved with each game .....

chiefzilla1501
11-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah, those other teams just didn't want to win.

JFC man, can you hear yourself trying to think? Probably not.

Like I said, the Chiefs are playing BETTER.

But BossChief is treating this like a "turnaround." The fact is that in two of those three games, the Chiefs found every way to lose and screw up, and ended up winning.

I'm proud of the Steelers win. Best win I've seen in years. But the two wins against the Raiders and the Redskins were extremely unsettling wins for me and I'm sure for everyone.

Sorry, I'm not going to wear the homer glasses on this one. I'm glad the team is playing better, but playing sloppy football in 4 of the last 5 games is not good enough for me and not nearly enough to suggest we're close to the kind of turnaround we need at this point in the season. I can understand getting outplayed. But getting burned on stupid mistakes at this point in the season... not good enough.

Molitoth
11-28-2009, 12:03 PM
I'd say the ridding of LJ has caused the playcalling to become better and Chambers is using that to his advantage.

so a combination.

chiefzilla1501
11-28-2009, 12:04 PM
I can't remember one of the interceptions by Studebaker, but the int that Studebaker returned 96(?) yards wasn't a headscratingly bad throw.

It was an errant throw because Hali hit his arm as he was throwing.

Some of you dumbasses need to watch closer so you actually know what the **** you're talking about.

It was also an ill-advised throw to a receiver who was blanketed by several guys. And it's representative of the Steelers' major red zone woes all season. You can't tell me that a team who drove all the way down field into the red zone and then just gives the ball away isn't just careless football on the other team's part.

Like I said, I like the Steelers win. But as of right now, we're relying on other teams to make sloppy mistakes to win games. Haley claimed that the Chargers' game was one of the best games they played all season. That was an example of a team we faced that didn't make mistakes and we got creamed. It is what it is. I like that we're a team that will make teams sweat week after week. But let's not hide the fact that if a decent team we face plays smart, fairly mistake-free football, we're very outmatched.

Tiger's Fan
11-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Like I said, the Chiefs are playing BETTER.

But BossChief is treating this like a "turnaround." The fact is that in two of those three games, the Chiefs found every way to lose and screw up, and ended up winning.

I'm proud of the Steelers win. Best win I've seen in years. But the two wins against the Raiders and the Redskins were extremely unsettling wins for me and I'm sure for everyone.

Sorry, I'm not going to wear the homer glasses on this one. I'm glad the team is playing better, but playing sloppy football in 4 of the last 5 games is not good enough for me and not nearly enough to suggest we're close to the kind of turnaround we need at this point in the season. I can understand getting outplayed. But getting burned on stupid mistakes at this point in the season... not good enough.

Theres a fine line between winning and losing. To be honest, we've been playing the same way these last few weeks as we have most of the season. The difference being wins vs. losses. We could have won more than 3 games thus far, but sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way. We're still depleted in talent, and thats not going to change overnight. The will to win has always been there for this team, and their coach. It's not a turnaround, it's the law of averages evening out.

Demonpenz
11-28-2009, 12:59 PM
they key to the so called turnaround is it's the nfl a play here or there can win you the game and there are upsets every week

BossChief
11-28-2009, 01:57 PM
In games we found a way to lose in the final minutes last year, we found a way to win in the last few games.

How many games did we lose by 8 points or less last year?

The only "break" from the pittsburg game that was pure luck was Heath Miller letting the ball pop off his chest and Andy grabbing it. The other turnovers were forced in one way or another.

hali hitting Bens arm and causing an errand throw
Flowers stripping Wallace and recovering the football
even the Heath drop was caused partially by him getting hit after the ball got there.

By saying "turnaround" Im not saying we are all of a sudden a far better team that will win out, Im saying we are finding ways to win the games we used to find ways to lose. People forget games like Tamba and SD last year where we blew it in final minutes, now we are finding ways to make plays in that same time in the game which shows a "turnaround" imho

Halfcan
11-28-2009, 02:57 PM
sorry to say this but I think we will be back to reality this week, SD totally kicked our asses at home in every way-so to think we will go beat them in their house seems very unlikely

chiefzilla1501
11-28-2009, 03:05 PM
In games we found a way to lose in the final minutes last year, we found a way to win in the last few games.

How many games did we lose by 8 points or less last year?

The only "break" from the pittsburg game that was pure luck was Heath Miller letting the ball pop off his chest and Andy grabbing it. The other turnovers were forced in one way or another.

hali hitting Bens arm and causing an errand throw
Flowers stripping Wallace and recovering the football
even the Heath drop was caused partially by him getting hit after the ball got there.

By saying "turnaround" Im not saying we are all of a sudden a far better team that will win out, Im saying we are finding ways to win the games we used to find ways to lose. People forget games like Tamba and SD last year where we blew it in final minutes, now we are finding ways to make plays in that same time in the game which shows a "turnaround" imho

Like I said, the Pitt game was a positive for me. One of the few games I didn't spend a lot of the game wincing. And Cassel's been really good late in games, for as bad as he's been early in games.

But it's one game. We can say what we want about 3 of the last 5, but again, they were sloppy games where the other team failed a lot more than we succeeded. The Chiefs beat the Raiders not because of good football, but because their QB was missing open receivers by a mile, his receivers were dropping passes thrown directly in their chest, and their #1 WR pick let a ball hit him square in the chest on the 5 yard line within striking distance of a game winning score.

I hope the Chiefs can play like they did against PIttsburgh more often. But again, you're talking about improvement, and I'm saying that the Chiefs are going to have to play sound football for more than 1 consectuve game to make me feel that way. I can handle getting outmatched. I can't handle sloppiness. And the Chiefs have been very sloppy in 4 of the last 5 games. That's not improvement. That's just a team benefitting off another team's mistakes.

Micjones
11-28-2009, 03:25 PM
A respectable run game. I think that opens up possibilities for everyone offensively.

Mama Hip Rockets
11-29-2009, 04:53 PM
there has officially not been a turnaround.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-29-2009, 04:54 PM
there has officially not been a turnaround.

LMAO

Baby Lee
11-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Look at you, how dumb you look.

Tiger's Fan
11-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Same as the other 1500 posts.

BossChief
11-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Look at you, how dumb you look.

yeah because even after a loss, 3-3 is much worse than 0-5.

fail

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-29-2009, 05:24 PM

fail

Hey man, I appreciate your optimism and remember this; just look a post up to remind yourself of why taking a stance even if it doesn't pan out is much more admirable than being a takeless, reactionary fucktard with no balls whatsoever.

Baby Lee
11-29-2009, 05:48 PM

fail

There is no better than or worse than, there is just complete failure as a franchise.

-King-
11-29-2009, 06:25 PM

fail

Just keep fighting these pessimists and homers!!