PDA

View Full Version : Life Thanksgiving and other "Invaluable Holidays"

Cjanz
11-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Lately I've been considering how much Thanksgiving would actually mean to us if the attraction of magnificent food were exempt. Is it not apparent that a large number of people would treat the holiday as insignificant if it were not for the excuse to stuff our faces incessantly? Does the holiday still revolve around family gathering and giving thanks to what or whom we truly appreciate?

Consider this; how many of us would actually look forward to Christmas if it were not for the promise of gifts? As it is, it's actually very realistic to view the holiday as a painful time of year for many individuals. What better way to induce family strife than an attempt to model and exploit the superfluous demands of modern society?

I'm making this thread merely for the discussion of what these "jolly" holidays actually mean to us, as opposed to the material attractions they impose.

chiefbowe82
11-27-2009, 08:20 PM
THE MAN HAS GOT A POINT

MikeMaslowski
11-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Halloween= Candy
Christmas=Presents
Thanksgiving=Food
St. Patricks Day=Booze
New Years=Booze
Valentines Day=Pus$y

Booze, pu$$y, food, candy and presents... and the problem is?

Cjanz
11-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Halloween= Candy
Christmas=Presents
Thanksgiving=Food
St. Patricks Day=Booze
New Years=Booze
Valentines Day=Pus$y

That type of outlook is the problem, in my opinion at the very least.

Bugeater
11-27-2009, 08:28 PM
I look forward to the time off of work more than anything.

MikeMaslowski
11-27-2009, 08:28 PM
That type of outlook is the problem, in my opinion at the very least.

And?

Maybe you watch "The View" too much.

banyon
11-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Volunteer at a soup kitchen, it will get you closer to the spirit of the holiday.

Cjanz
11-27-2009, 08:29 PM
And?

Maybe you watch "The View" too much.

Sorry, never seen it.

Mr. Laz
11-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Christmas
New Year's
Thanksgiving

get rid of the rest

LaChapelle
11-27-2009, 08:37 PM
"It's the economy stupid"

cdcox
11-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Family and food are the common link among most holidays. This alone is enough to make them of enormous intrinsic value. Many people choose to intentionally associate certain holidays with additional patriotic and/or religious meaning. Particular families may further embellish certain holidays with certain traditions, which may become elaborate. Like much in life, holidays are what you make of them. If you want to view others celebrations as superficial, you can easily develop a jaded view toward the holidays and the individuals who celebrate them in their own particular way. As for me, I cherish them on a variety of levels, some carnal and others more reflective. I consider that my life is richer for having done so.

RNR
11-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Family and food are the common link among most holidays. This alone is enough to make them of enormous intrinsic value. Many people choose to intentionally associate certain holidays with additional patriotic and/or religious meaning. Particular families may further embellish certain holidays with certain traditions, which may become elaborate. Like much in life, holidays are what you make of them. If you want to view others celebrations as superficial, you can easily develop a jaded view toward the holidays and the individuals who celebrate them in their own particular way. As for me, I cherish them on a variety of levels, some carnal and others more reflective. I consider that my life is richer for having done so.

Well said and and rep worthy~

Psyko Tek
11-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Halloween= Candy
Christmas=Presents
Thanksgiving=Food
St. Patricks Day=Booze
New Years=Booze
Valentines Day=Pus$y

forgot the fourth of july
booze and explosions

Halfcan
11-27-2009, 09:39 PM
After losing a lot of my family in the last year-this Thanksgiving really meant alot to me.