PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs BABB: Chiefs’ attitude sunnier after stormy Johnson exits

Coogs
11-29-2009, 10:19 AM
KC...HATER isn't going to like this one...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1599167.html

Chiefs’ attitude sunnier after stormy Johnson exits
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Todd Haley could feel the mood shifting. Players seemed more optimistic at Chiefs headquarters. They seemed more willing to listen. More willing to work.

It was about a month ago that things began to change. The Chiefs’ attitude had been sour for most of the last three seasons. After most games and many practices, the locker room had the enthusiasm of a funeral. Players sulked or waited out reporters in back-corner hideaways. When your team is 1-6, answers are sometimes painful, and delivering them hurts.

A month ago, the Chiefs had just been blown out at home by the San Diego Chargers. The team seemed to be on the verge of looking toward another offseason, when thoughts might wander anywhere but toward the next unrewarded practice, meeting or game. Then, inexplicably, something happened. Haley noticed that the mood began veering toward a productive path.

“You feel little subtle changes as the leader of the team,” Haley says now. “Subtle changes in the guys.

“Whatever it is.”

It was a month ago that the Chiefs began distancing themselves from running back Larry Johnson. They suspended and later released him. Since Johnson was let go, the Chiefs are 2-0. Whatever has motivated one of the NFL’s most depressing teams to suddenly find success, one thing is clear: The Chiefs have put together their best run in years — without Larry Johnson.

Players don’t want to touch the topic. Johnson, for all his talent and those two Pro Bowls, was a polarizing figure. Now that he’s gone, his former teammates don’t even like the idea of discussing the phenomenon of “addition by subtraction,” the notion that a team might improve even without one of its most skilled players.

“Too many traps,” center Rudy Niswanger says with a smile, and that’s before Johnson’s name ever comes up.

Traps always were Johnson’s problem, and who could blame the Chiefs for being wary before stepping into them? His most recent outburst was enough for the team. The Chiefs had enough problems without dealing with Johnson’s moods — and the fallout that often followed when his temper boiled over. Last month, he was suspended after insulting Haley and the gay population. The Chiefs told him to go away. Told him that, until they figured out their next move, he wouldn’t be part of a team that was nothing if not fragile.

On Johnson’s last day in the Chiefs’ locker room, the team’s mood seemed to echo that of its starting running back. Players were reserved and distant. Most had scattered, and the ones who hadn’t were staring into their lockers or trying to go unnoticed. Three days later, Johnson was gone. With him out of the locker room, the mood had changed. Players were laughing, joking and treating their jobs as if each Sunday was not the next kamikaze mission. Wide receiver Bobby Wade was playful in a meeting with reporters, and running back Jamaal Charles laughed and socialized with teammates.

On Nov. 9, Johnson was released. The Chiefs had options, and they’d had enough of Johnson’s act. The team needed no such distraction. So Johnson was let go. The mood seemed to improve overnight.

“I really love it right now,” Charles says, when asked about the team’s recent attitude adjustment.

Haley says a team’s chemistry is as prized as it is difficult to achieve. Whether Johnson’s departure somehow brought the Chiefs closer to success or simply cut out another unnecessary distraction, the team seems better, happier and more productive.

Haley wouldn’t say whether cutting ties with Johnson helped boost the Chiefs’ brotherhood or improve players’ attention spans. But he did say that he believes a team can improve by eliminating certain players, just as it can improve by adding certain players. Regardless, the Chiefs seem to have progressed in the past month. It might have been just the time of year, an improved message, a bye week in which the offense was simplified, or a locker room that just grew tired of feeling sorry for itself.

“You just felt something happening positive,” Haley says. “The guys were working really hard, and they were into it. Until you actually see those results and have that validation, that’s when you can start taking a little bigger steps. We were taking baby steps.

“There’s no doubt that the guys, there’s a little more bonding that goes on. Guys want to hang around a little more.”

Charles admits now that he began preparing for Johnson’s departure long before last month. Charles was listening when Johnson said after last season’s final game that he wanted out of Kansas City. Charles was listening again when Johnson reiterated his desire on a Kansas City radio show.

“He said he didn’t want to be here,” Charles says.

The young Charles wanted to be ready if and when his ticket was drawn to become the Chiefs’ starting running back. He says he lifted weights more often and with more intensity than ever. He reshaped his attitude and approach, making plans to state his case when the Chiefs finally had enough of Johnson. Charles wanted to be ready when the time came.

“I worked out so much,” he says.

If the Chiefs once took on Johnson’s personality — sullen, unpredictable and potentially self-destructive — they have now moved more toward Charles’ more lighthearted character. Charles, 22, admits he has been taken off guard by the increased attention since becoming the featured back three weeks ago, but this is the chance he wanted since the Chiefs drafted him in the third round last year.

This week, Charles entered the locker room with a smile, talking about hard work and fantasy football — he says he doesn’t play but has been told he has become a popular pickup — and how different the future looks when a group of strangers closes the gap that once divided them.

“We want to win,” Charles says. “I don’t know if you see me out there running hard. But I’m going to do that every week, every time I step on the field. I just love standing on the field and competing. It’s about your will, your wants, and if you love this — and you don’t know when your last play is going to be.

“I see the way we’re playing. The defense is playing real good, and if we play like that, it’s going to be hard for us to be stopped.”

He keeps going. Before Charles heads toward the shower, he stops to laugh with a teammate. It’s a more easygoing place these days, whatever the reasons might be.

“Winning does so much for you,” Haley says.

The coach said this week that the Chiefs’ tallest challenge now is to continue building on the advances of this past month. Whatever led them to a new attitude, led to winning — and that winning, Haley says, led to a level of camaraderie and confidence that the Chiefs hadn’t seen in Haley’s time.

Perhaps they hadn’t seen that in Johnson’s time, either, at least since things started going poorly for the Chiefs and their awkward marriage with the former star running back.

“I don’t know what it is,” Charles says. “But somebody has got to come in and do the job somebody else wasn’t doing. Somebody has to come up here and play a role and help the team out. If not, they’re going to get rid of you, too.”

KCbroncoHATER
11-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Yawn.

Babb hates LJ so blaming him for everything that was and still is wrong with this team is par for course.

Mr. Arrowhead
11-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Yawn.

Babb hates LJ so blaming him for everything that was and still is wrong with this team is par for course.

ROFL your a tool LJ, dont you have a game to get ready for

Coogs
11-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Yawn.

Told Ya! ;)

Hammock Parties
11-29-2009, 10:26 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/15cn42q.gif

RINGLEADER
11-29-2009, 11:44 AM
I think it is all traced back to those signs that they put up in the locker room.

DaFace
11-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Whether LJ was the source of all the Chiefs' woes or not is tough to tell, and I suspect that the attitude change is more due to the fact that they managed to win a couple games.

Still, the quotes from Charles in there are heartening. I really like the kid and hope he can succeed.

KCbroncoHATER
11-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah Babble over looked that little fact didn't he?

milkman
11-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Whether LJ was the source of all the Chiefs' woes or not is tough to tell, and I suspect that the attitude change is more due to the fact that they managed to win a couple games.

Still, the quotes from Charles in there are heartening. I really like the kid and hope he can succeed.

I believe there's some merit to the asserttion that releasing LJ helped to improve team chemistry before the wins, though the wins build further on that.

I am expecting a loss today, but I also expect it to be a far more competitive game than the privious meeting, and I'm thinking that Charles will have a pretty big day.

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to predict a 110 yard rushing day, with another 75 yards receiving.

Reerun_KC
11-29-2009, 12:25 PM
The whole damn franchise, fanbase and team were all charged and thrilled with the departure of LJ... The final piece of Carl is removed from Arrowhead...

Yes this team will be a better Team without LJ, no question.... LJ was a joke...

Coogs
11-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I believe there's some merit to the asserttion that releasing LJ helped to improve team chemistry before the wins, though the wins build further on that.

I am expecting a loss today, but I also expect it to be a far more competitive game than the privious meeting, and I'm thinking that Charles will have a pretty big day.

Totally agree.

LaChapelle
11-29-2009, 12:29 PM
LJ did leave a legacy. If you watched the Giants vs Broncos game sunday. You surely noticed all those diamonds cut into both endzones. They tried to fill them in with orange or blue, but the diamond shape lives on

Hammock Parties
11-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Just for the hell of it, I'm going to predict a 110 yard rushing day, with another 75 yards receiving.

WOW.

This is as close to homering off as milkman gets.

Sure-Oz
11-29-2009, 12:52 PM
LJ is avging 9.9 ypc today OMG shouldnt have cut him!!11111

ncCHIEFfan
11-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Hurting the team or not, Lj was not helping this Franchise....Good ridance

milkman
11-29-2009, 12:54 PM
WOW.

This is as close to homering off as milkman gets.

That's due, in large part, to the fact that the Chargers are not very good in run defense.

Hammock Parties
11-29-2009, 12:56 PM
shit, i knew i should have started him in fantasy

Sure-Oz
11-29-2009, 12:59 PM
LJ could pull an adrian peterson and id still feel the same about him getting out of here...

i defended him pretty much on everything, now i hate the bastard almost more than anything

fuck lj for life seriously, he's a pos, worthless human being that doesn't deserve 10 chances

SenselessChiefsFan
11-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Personally, I didn't want LJ gone. I thought it was rewarding bad behavior.

In hindsight, I was wrong..... very wrong.

Now, I do think the wins helped as much as anything else.... but, do the Chiefs get the wins if LJ were still here?

The reality is the loss of LJ and the addition of Chambers has made a difference.

I hope it continues. I imagine the Chiefs will get stomped today.... but, here's hoping they are still positive afterwards.

Hammock Parties
11-29-2009, 01:26 PM
LJ is not doing anything he didn't do this year. His longest run is 13 yards. Whooptie fucking doo.

KCbroncoHATER
11-29-2009, 01:32 PM
His 1st carry today, on 3 and 1, went for 10 yards.

Just sayin'.

Hammock Parties
11-29-2009, 01:34 PM
His 1st carry today, on 3 and 1, went for 10 yards.

Just sayin'.

His longest run is 13 yards.

He isn't doing anything special.

He's had longer runs this year.

KCbroncoHATER
11-29-2009, 01:35 PM
His average so far today is 8.1 ypc .

Brock
11-29-2009, 01:36 PM
If only he could play against the Browns every week.

milkman
His longest run is 13 yards.

He isn't doing anything special.

He's had longer runs this year.

Against one of the worst run defenses in the league.

30th?

Hammock Parties
His average so far today is 8.1 ypc .

They're playing the CLEVELAND FUCKING BROWNS.

The holes are gaping wide.

Mr. Arrowhead
11-29-2009, 01:37 PM
ROFL @ KCbroncoHATER for bragging about Larry running good against one of the NFL worst run defenses in the NFL

milkman
11-29-2009, 01:39 PM
They're playing the CLEVELAND ****ING BROWNS.

The holes are gaping wide.

They're almost as large as the empty space between his ears.

That's huge!

KCbroncoHATER
11-29-2009, 01:45 PM
It's only his second week on the squad, just wait till the playoffs get here.

You will see ...

Cjanz
11-29-2009, 01:46 PM
I think morale can be largely affected by one player, especially one with LJ's dismal attitude and lack of production on the field. However, I hardly think that releasing him was the only change on that team that triggered a shift in attitude.

It's pretty apparent that his official absence was the trigger, and now everything that Haley has tried to establish (not to mention the strong-willed heart of Jamaal Charles) has finally had a chance to catch up and sink in.

KCbroncoHATER
11-29-2009, 01:52 PM
I think they are pros and this bullshit about having a cancer in the locker room is way over blown.

Pablo
11-29-2009, 01:53 PM
I think they are pros and this bullshit about having a cancer in the locker room is way over blown.You're right, there's no way a super-talented cancer could switch teams like the 49ers, Eagles, Cowboys, and Bills because he's a cancer.

Brock
11-29-2009, 01:54 PM
He won't outplay Cedric Benson, that much is for sure.

KCbroncoHATER
11-29-2009, 01:57 PM
He is today.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-29-2009, 01:58 PM
He is today.

Benson isn't playing.

Bwana
11-29-2009, 02:02 PM
But but, KCbrocoHATER was just telling us last week that LJ was not a locker room problem. This just can't be!

KCbroncoHATER
11-29-2009, 02:02 PM
The malcontent is going to get a 100 yards rushing today.

Just watch.

CaliforniaChief
11-29-2009, 02:03 PM
He is today.

Against the same defense that made Matthew Stafford look like Johnny Freaking Unitas. The Browns are horrible, and I'm pretty surprised they've been so inept today.

We're going to blow him up on Week 16.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-29-2009, 02:07 PM
The malcontent is going to get a 100 yards rushing today.

Just watch.

Randy Moss suddenly played better in NE as well. It is all about the situation and the leadership on the team

KCbroncoHATER
11-29-2009, 02:11 PM
I agree.

LJ is not washed up like everyone wants you to believe.

CaliforniaChief
11-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I agree.

LJ is not washed up like everyone wants you to believe.

LJ's going to be like any other attitudinally-challenged athlete. He'll be happy for awhile, maybe even have some great games. But the MOMENT there's adversity or anything that doesn't go the baby's way, he comes unglued and usually takes the team down with him.

Bwana
11-29-2009, 02:19 PM
LJ's going to be like any other attitudinally-challenged athlete. He'll be happy for awhile, maybe even have some great games. But the MOMENT there's adversity or anything that doesn't go the baby's way, he comes unglued and usually takes the team down with him.

Bingo

KCbroncoHATER
11-29-2009, 02:21 PM
If he loses the next 30 games I bet we will see it again.

Bwana
11-29-2009, 02:23 PM
If he loses the next 30 games I bet we will see it again.

You can a hang new uniform on a POS, but it's still a POS at it's core.

alanm
11-29-2009, 02:25 PM
LJ is avging 9.9 ypc today OMG shouldnt have cut him!!11111Right now he has 90 yrds on 19 carries.

KCbroncoHATER
11-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Two weeks after LJ gets run out of town because he is "washed up" he leads his new team in rushing yards.

How sweet is that?

Brock
11-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Yeah, he'll do great for giving Cedric a blow every once in a while.

Easy 6
11-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Two weeks after LJ gets run out of town because he is "washed up" he leads his new team in rushing yards.

How sweet is that?

Stop listening to what your dog says, he's filling your head full of lies...

DBOSHO
11-29-2009, 02:52 PM

How sweet is that?

HES PLAYING THE FUCKING BROWNS.

KCbroncoHATER
11-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Again, it's only his second game with his new team and he is sharing the running duties with Scott, drive for drive.

He has 93 yds rushing in the game, that is more than Scott has.

chiefs1111
11-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Again, it's only his second game with his new team and he is sharing the running duties with Scott, drive for drive.

He has 93 yds rushing in the game, that is more than Scott has.

against the Browns wow,who in the hell cares

KCbroncoHATER
11-29-2009, 03:10 PM
The washed up mailcontent just got over a 100 yds rushing.

Not bad for a guy who wasn't going to see the field this season.

Props to LJ.