PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Weis not likely to join the Chiefs

chiefs1111
11-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Posted by Mike Florio on November 30, 2009 11:11 PM ET
Though former Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis is regarded by many (us included) as a candidate to become the offensive coordinator of the Chiefs, a league source tells us that such a move isn't likely.

As the source explains it, there's some "disdain" between Weis and Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli.

It flows, the source says, from their mutual time in New England.

"Both wanted to be [coach Bill] Belichick's favorite," the source said.

Meanwhile, coach Todd Haley insisted on Monday that the Chiefs are not one of the teams that has contacted Weis.

"I can say with clear conscience there's been no contact," Haley said, per the Associated Press. "The focus in this building is putting this team in the best possible position to succeed each day and each week and that's where the focus is. As far as staff goes, that would be something I would have -- that would be a decision I would have to make."

Haley also said, however, that he'd eventually like to hand off the play-calling function to someone else.

"I believe in my heart of hearts that's the way to be the most efficient," Haley said. "It's fun calling plays. There's no doubt about that. I've also said my job is to be the head coach of the team and if and when that's possible, I would think that, in my opinion, is the best way to run the operation."

Pioli isn't the only member of the team who has a history with Weis.

"I shared an 8-by-8 office with Charlie for three years in New York," Haley said. "I know Charlie about as up-close-and-personal as you could know him."

We wonder how many of their meetings began with Weis asking Haley, "Is this your coat?"

Yeah, it never gets old. At least not for us.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/30/weis-not-likely-to-join-the-chiefs/

Reerun_KC
11-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Well that is that... I guess...

Bummer....

Because to all the know it all speculators, Haley is in over his head.......

tyler360
11-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Sure seems like no one from New England can control their ego

Reerun_KC
11-30-2009, 10:46 PM

dont tell Whitlock that, he might explode! LMAO

The Bad Guy
Haha.

"They both wanted to be Bill's favorites"

What is this the National Inquirer.

Fact is, I guarantee the Chiefs go after him this off-season. Whether he comes here is a different story.

The Bad Guy

Or people love to just create drama when there is none.

Brock
11-30-2009, 10:47 PM
"I shared an 8-by-8 office with Charlie for three years in New York," Haley said. "I know Charlie about as up-close-and-personal as you could know him."

We wonder how many of their meetings began with Weis asking Haley, "Is this your coat?"

Yeah, it never gets old. At least not for us.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/30/weis-not-likely-to-join-the-chiefs/

I suspect there's a joke there, but it must be a pretty stupid one.

The Bad Guy
11-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I suspect there's a joke there, but it must be a pretty stupid one.

Fat guy in a little coat.

Tommy Boy reference.

Reerun_KC
11-30-2009, 10:48 PM

Hi remember me?

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Content/Image/08-16-2007/JASON-WHITLOCK.jpg

tyler360
11-30-2009, 10:49 PM

Maybe its like an episode of the O.C. or One Tree Hill. Everyone sure makes it sound like it anyways.

The Bad Guy
11-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Hi remember me?

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Content/Image/08-16-2007/JASON-WHITLOCK.jpg

Did Whitlock just come off of Survivor Island when that picture was taken?

Good lord, he looks about 800 pounds lighter.

BossChief
11-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Did Whitlock just come off of Survivor Island when that picture was taken?

Good lord, he looks about 800 pounds lighter.

it was taken before lunch

Rain Man
11-30-2009, 11:05 PM

I think that tends to happen when you're putting Lombardi trophies in every cubicle as hat racks.

Iowanian
11-30-2009, 11:13 PM
I'd like to see them consider bringing him in now as an Offensive Consultant for the rest of the year and see what happens. Haley still gets game day play calling, but has help breaking down other teams and correcting problem areas....and scouting for next season.

soundmind
11-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Jason Whitlock is "the source".

Reerun_KC
11-30-2009, 11:22 PM

Brian Waters is "the snitch"

BigRock
11-30-2009, 11:36 PM

Pretty much anytime PFT quotes a leage source that acts like they know what went on behind closed doors in New England, it's that fat little Belichick jock-sniffer Mike Lombardi. He of the "Cassel signed a long-term deal on draft day" story, among others.

BryanBusby
11-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Weis must of ate Piolis lunch once upon a time.....several times. :(

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Brian Waters is "the snitch"

Brian Waters is a Pioli favorite. He's a "great leader".

So, I guess this means the RBS( Regime Ballwashing Society )is just going to have to shut the fuck up and accept Mr. Waters, wrinkles and all.

This isn't MY mandate, this comes straight from the lips of your Lord and Master:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/video/

11th clip down, "Ask The GM".
thx!

KCChiefsMan
12-01-2009, 12:25 AM
oooh no, what will we do

T-post Tom
12-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Pure disinformation from the Pioli black ops group. I bet they're stenciling in Weis' parking spot at Arrowhead right now. ;) Next: New QB Coach/Miracle Worker and a new DC.

FloridaMan88
12-01-2009, 12:35 AM
If Dictator Carl was able to swallow his ego and allow Vermeil to bring back Al Saunders to KC (and we all know it is no secret that Carl and Al Saunders weren't exactly close), Pioli should do the same with Weis... if Haley wants to hire him as offensive coordinator.

T-post Tom
12-01-2009, 12:45 AM
If Dictator Carl was able to swallow his ego and allow Vermeil to bring back Al Saunders to KC (and we all know it is no secret that Carl and Al Saunders weren't exactly close), Pioli should do the same with Weis... if Haley wants to hire him as offensive coordinator.

Even Florio seems to doubt the accuracy of the anonymous source:

"Though former Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis is regarded by many (us included) as a candidate to become the offensive coordinator of the Chiefs..."

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-01-2009, 12:48 AM
Even Florio seems to doubt the accuracy of the anonymous source:

"Though former Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis is regarded by many (us included) as a candidate to become the offensive coordinator of the Chiefs..."

It's not official until it comes from Collinsworth's lips. He called Haley as coach about two or three weeks before the Super Bowl last year.

T-post Tom
12-01-2009, 12:58 AM
It's not official until it comes from Collinsworth's lips. He called Haley as coach about two or three weeks before the Super Bowl last year.

Well, there's no word of Weis having a tumor on his spine: so we know the source isn't Jack Harry. :)

There are advantages to bringing him in now. That would get him acclimated, generate some continuity and prevent the risk of losing him to someone else. Then again, they might benefit from 'playing the field' in the off-season, depending on who's available. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

HemiEd
12-01-2009, 08:51 AM

This is more like it.

thawk
12-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Charley is probably going to spend the next few weeks on a vacation. Then he will start to look for work. I would not want him if he didnt take a few weeks off to think.

Ralphy Boy
12-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Charley is probably going to spend the next few weeks on a vacation. Then he will start to look for work. I would not want him if he didnt take a few weeks off to think.

I would think he would want to work next season and since he's been out of the pro's for a few years, he might be more inclined to watch every NFL game multiple times as well as much college ball as possible to get an idea of who his future team should value.

thawk
12-01-2009, 12:59 PM
I think he will get his pick of jobs and with good reason. He did fail in N.D. but that is a tuff gig for anyone. The Chiefs have a good chance if they want him butt he will go to a good situation that he feels comfortable with. He could really take a load off of Haily!

tyler360
12-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Maybe he is one of those guys that gets promoted beyond his abilities. There is some sort of saying about that isnt there?

ModSocks
12-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Sounds like BS to me. "Both wanted to be [coach Bill] Belichick's favorite,". Yeah fucking right. These are grown ass men, not children. I highly doubt that charecters like Pioli and Wies are looking for daddy's approval.

Even though i want wies to coach for us, i think it's improbable. I can't imagine weis working under his old receivers coach. Too much ego involved.