PDA

View Full Version : Computers Netbook questions....

Fat Elvis
11-30-2009, 11:06 PM
So I got my daughter a netbook for Christmas....

What are the chances of botching the netbook if I decide to upgrade the RAM to 2GB? Supposedly, adding RAM will void the warranty, but that doesn't seem right..... Is there any way to tell if the RAM has been replaced--even if it was with another 1GB module?

Does anyone know how much a replacement battery costs for a netbook? An extended warranty from Best Buy is pretty expensive, but if it covers the battery and power source, it may be worth it. SquareTrade Warrenties are cheap, but they don't cover the battery or power cord.

Thanks for any insights.

Fat E

DaFace
11-30-2009, 11:10 PM
RAM is a pretty easy upgrade in most cases, but the specific RAM installation procedure does vary a bit from machine to machine. Chances are it'd be a pretty simple process. As for telling if RAM has been replaced, they could tell that you had replaced it by brand probably. Of course, you could always just keep the old chip around and put it back in if you need warranty service.

As for the battery, no clue. Are you sure that Best Buy's warranty covers batteries? Most of those types of things don't, but I don't know about theirs for sure.

Buck
11-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Check with simply red on battery prices, he's CP's resident battery expert.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fat Elvis
11-30-2009, 11:15 PM
RAM is a pretty easy upgrade in most cases, but the specific RAM installation procedure does vary a bit from machine to machine. Chances are it'd be a pretty simple process. As for telling if RAM has been replaced, they could tell that you had replaced it by brand probably. Of course, you could always just keep the old chip around and put it back in if you need warranty service.

As for the battery, no clue. Are you sure that Best Buy's warranty covers batteries? Most of those types of things don't, but I don't know about theirs for sure.

Yeah, the RAM would be a super easy upgrade. Just remove one screw and pull a clip. I was wondering if installing difference RAM left a "signature" on the machine that said you screwed around with the insides.

DaFace
11-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah, the RAM would be a super easy upgrade. Just remove one screw and pull a clip. I was wondering if installing difference RAM left a "signature" on the machine that said you screwed around with the insides.

Not that I'm aware of.

colt459
11-30-2009, 11:21 PM

I actually replaced my ram on my netbook before even turning it on. Its rather simple to do, but here is how they know you messed with it. They have a tamper sticker over one of the screw holes that you can't even pull off with a razor blade, I tried. I have read, at least on the MSI (brand of my Netbook) that they will still accept it if you have removed it but you might want to look at some forums for the brand you bought.

demonhero
12-01-2009, 12:29 AM
1. Ram

Glue Goo + blow dryer will make the removal of the sticker easier.

"Is there any way to tell if the RAM has been replaced"
1. Fry the new ram and its connection
2. Leaving the new ram in
3. Moving and forgetting to but sticker back on
6. Screw housing tampered with

2. Battery

$50 to $60 for a name brand 6 cell battery, but the longer the battery life the bigger the battery gets. So, the netbook's battery will bulk outwards and look funny.

Param
12-01-2009, 12:29 AM
So I got my daughter a netbook for Christmas....

What are the chances of botching the netbook if I decide to upgrade the RAM to 2GB? Supposedly, adding RAM will void the warranty, but that doesn't seem right..... Is there any way to tell if the RAM has been replaced--even if it was with another 1GB module?

Does anyone know how much a replacement battery costs for a netbook? An extended warranty from Best Buy is pretty expensive, but if it covers the battery and power source, it may be worth it. SquareTrade Warrenties are cheap, but they don't cover the battery or power cord.

Thanks for any insights.

Fat E

Stop with the extended warranty. It's a waste of money (yes there will be other people on here say that it's worth it). To me it's not, you're buying electronics. Prices depreciate over time & better tech comes along. Now with netbooks it depends. You don't really need the extra gig stick. Also some netbooks don't allow for upgrades to 2 gigs of ram. So it's hard to help you without the model. Battery life. Well that depends. 2.5 hours is fine for most people. but, if you get the 6 cel it gives you double. Just depends if it's necessary.

wild1
12-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Extended warranties are all profit, that's why they push them so aggressively.

BryanBusby
12-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Buying an extended warranty and extra ram for a notebook? Let me put it like this.

That's the equivalent of purchasing a Geo Metro and installing spinner rims and lion skin seats. It's really not a good investment.

If you want to get your daughter something cheap to surf web pages with, go ahead and buy a notebook and be done with it.

colt459
12-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Yeah I would never buy extended warranty. Its just that the sticker removal can void any type of warranty. I tried blow dryer and razor blade, it broke apart into small parts as I pulled it up. So good luck getting it off.

I would suggest investing in the RAM if you have the money. Its well worth it, from what I have read and have noticed on mine it makes it run extremely fast for a little 1.6g processor. If your looking to do more than surfing or word processing then I wouldn't get a netbook.

As for me I haven't put it down since I got it and I got the 9 cell battery so it can go almost 8 hours. Just be aware the touch pads on them are super sensitive, I grabbed a bluetooth mouse with mine since the netbook I have has bluetooth.

Like I said before check the forums for the brand you buy. Most even have a tutorial on how to install the memory. Good Luck

Fat Elvis
12-01-2009, 08:57 AM
I was thinking about the extended warranty with accidental damage since it will be going to an 11 year old.