PDA

View Full Version : Life Sprint finally gave me the axe...

Pages : [1] 2

petegz28
12-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Almost 11 years, 12 counting contract time, I gave to that company and I was rewarded today for being the most tenured and most experienced on my team with the axe. A liquid lunch is on the menu...

KC native
12-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Eventhough I think you're a dickbag, that sucks. Good luck on the job search.

teedubya
Was it your cheery disposition? With your awesome attitude about everything, I can't imagine why you weren't kept around.

Good luck finding something new.

booyaf2
yikes, that sucks dude.

Cheers.

Donger
12-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Ugh. Good luck on your new job, which is finding it.

Archie Bunker
12-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Tough break, best of luck to you.

Dottefan
12-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Its called douchebag karma. Good luck on your job hunt

Fat Elvis
12-01-2009, 09:56 AM
I will be joining you before too long. Kansas is projected to be $400M in the hole next fiscal year. We dodged the latest round of cuts/allotments but my program is on deck for the next round of cuts. I'm starting my job search now.

Good luck to you.

mikey23545
12-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Good luck in your coming job search, Pete...I wonder how Obama's stimulus didn't "save" your job...

Oh, and for all the facef@cks that left an insulting post for a guy that just lost his job at Christmas time, got some neg rep comin' your way!

talastan
12-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Good luck pete!! Hope the job search gets you something much better. Pay no attention to the liberals living at home with mom! ;)

kepp
12-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Oh, and for all the facef@cks that left an insulting post for a guy that just lost his job at Christmas time, got some neg rep comin' your way!

I second this...disgraceful.

Dave Lane
12-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Almost 11 years, 12 counting contract time, I gave to that company and I was rewarded today for being the most tenured and most experienced on my team with the axe. A liquid lunch is on the menu...

Well what do you think of the Iphone now :)

Oh and sorry dude but really Sprint suck balls hope the next thing is even better!

kepp
12-01-2009, 10:05 AM

What do you do? What are your skills?

Dottefan
12-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Good luck in your coming job search, Pete...I wonder how Obama's stimulus didn't "save" your job...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..you showed us lol.LMAOLMAOLMAO

Braincase
12-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Good luck. Try and find ways to be positive, it'll help in the coming weeks.

Radar Chief
12-01-2009, 10:07 AM
That sucks. Sorry to read it, Pete.
Best of luck in your job search.

cookster50
12-01-2009, 10:08 AM
That sucks, good luck. You might have to move overseas for a job.

Deberg_1990
12-01-2009, 10:09 AM

What the hell??

Sorry to hear that Pete...

Iowanian
12-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Good Luck.

petegz28
12-01-2009, 10:10 AM
What do you do? What are your skills?

Well, my most recent position was Software Packaging. That is taking software and creating unattended, pre-configured installs to be distrbuted out to the environment.

But before that I was everything from Server Admin to Account Admin, Desktop Integration. That sort of stuff.

wild1
12-01-2009, 10:11 AM
I also think it's pretty low to beat up on a guy who just lost his job right before the holidays.

petegz28
12-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks everyone.....just a bum feeling but it is probably for the best. As some of you have said, Sprint is a sinking ship.

Gonzo
12-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Good luck man... That really sucks.

Hope they set you up with some severance pay.

vailpass
Good luck pete!! Hope the job search gets you something much better. Pay no attention to the liberals living at home with mom! ;)

Absolutely right. Tolerance is what they demand, not what they practice.

Mr. Plow
Sorry to hear about it Pete. Not that there is a good time to lose a job, but right before Christmas has to suck worse. Good luck man - I hope you find something good.

Donger

Wow, you really are a prick. Not that that wasn't evident already, but thanks for the confirmation.

allen_kcCard
Bummer, good luck with the job hunt.

Sounds bad for it to come at this time of year, but I am assuming you got about 30 weeks serverance? Assuming they are still doing the 8 weeks plus 2 weeks for every year...Not bad timing in that regard...time off around the holidays to relax and get the job hunt items in order, and then plenty of time int he new year to get busy on the process.

Mr. Plow
12-01-2009, 10:14 AM

It may be, I'm sure yours is coming around the corner.

kepp
12-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Well, my most recent position was Software Packaging. That is taking software and creating unattended, pre-configured installs to be distrbuted out to the environment.

But before that I was everything from Server Admin to Account Admin, Desktop Integration. That sort of stuff.

PM'd you

HonestChieffan
12-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Hang tough Pete. Sorry to hear about the job, timing couldnt be worse.

petegz28
12-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Bummer, good luck with the job hunt.

Sounds bad for it to come at this time of year, but I am assuming you got about 30 weeks serverance? Assuming they are still doing the 8 weeks plus 2 weeks for every year...Not bad timing in that regard...time off around the holidays to relax and get the job hunt items in order, and then plenty of time int he new year to get busy on the process.

Yea. Of course they tax everything at the supplemental rate. Just when you need the money the most, they tax it the highest.

gblowfish
12-01-2009, 10:21 AM
I've had lots of friends and acquaintances that have worked for Sprint over the years, never seems to end well. They just chew through people, not a good company to hang your hat on.

Hopefully you'll find something with some long term stability. Hang in there.

petegz28
12-01-2009, 10:22 AM
I've had lots of friends and acquaintances that have worked for Sprint over the years, never seems to end well. They just chew through people, not a good company to hang your hat on.

Hopefully you'll find something with some long term stability. Hang in there.

Sprint has some sever managment issues. My siutation came down to favoritism. I guess it pays to be buddies with the boss outside of work???

rockymtnchief
12-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Good luck down the road.

Does Sprint have anyone left working there? Jeez!

petegz28
12-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Good luck down the road.

Does Sprint have anyone left working there? Jeez!

My team went from 12 to 5 this year alone.

ChiTown
12-01-2009, 10:26 AM

Nothing new for the a$$wipes around here.

Good luck Pete. All the best to you in your job search.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-01-2009, 10:26 AM
that sucks and hope you find something, but that said it's been a sinking ship for years and if you in fact got 30 weeks severance, that's about 30 more weeks that most people get.

morphius
12-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Terrible news! Hope you land someone quick, and hopefully for a company that doesn't seem to feel that the way to improve everything is more layoff's every year.

wutamess

Luckily for you Lathrop Group (law firm) is hiring a wise packager/SCCM guru.
I'd apply but I'm good with not having to travel to downtown area when I can drive my 2 blocks.
All money aint good money in my situation.
Look it up on careerbuilder.

Hydrae
Good luck with the job hunt, Pete.

Gonzo

Was it your cheery disposition? With your awesome attitude about everything, I can't imagine why you weren't kept around.

WTF Guys?

Would you say this to him in real life, or are you all just being message-board assholes?

This guy is unemployed, in the midst of a recession, during the holidays and work is difficult to find.

BigRedChief
12-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Were you an application packager? I get a lot of calls/emails wanting me for that but they are out of state. If interested I can give you a recruiters name.

petegz28
that sucks and hope you find something, but that said it's been a sinking ship for years and if you in fact got 30 weeks severance, that's about 30 more weeks that most people get.

Yes, I am lucky in that way, I won't deny. Still a suck feeling. I worked from home, free phone, great perks and such like that.

Redrum_69
Thanks everyone.....just a bum feeling but it is probably for the best. As some of you have said, Sprint is a sinking ship.

go check out Erricsson

petegz28
Were you an application packager? I get a lot of calls/emails wanting me for that but they are out of state. If interested I can give you a recruiters name.

Yes I am\was.

KC native
12-01-2009, 10:30 AM

Wow, you really are a prick. Not that that wasn't evident already, but thanks for the confirmation.

You guys need to relax. Pete's slung plenty of shit my way and can take care of himself. I said even though I though he is a prick that it sucks to lose his job and good luck on the job search. Learn how to fucking read.

wutamess
12-01-2009, 10:31 AM
who all is left? Burgoon, Lameireux, May & Burgin?

MTG#10
12-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Good luck Pete

Gonzo
12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
You guys need to relax. Pete's slung plenty of shit my way and can take care of himself. I said even though I though he is a prick that it sucks to lose his job and good luck on the job search. Learn how to fucking read.

Perhaps keeping your opinion about his disposition to yourself would have been a more suitable approach?
Prefacing your personal feelings about him before the well-wishes just makes you seem more of a dick.

Fish
12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Sucks dude. Hope things turn around for you.

Donger
12-01-2009, 10:35 AM
You guys need to relax. Pete's slung plenty of shit my way and can take care of himself. I said even though I though he is a prick that it sucks to lose his job and good luck on the job search. Learn how to ****ing read.

There's a big difference big slinging crap over in DC and doing so in a thread about him being unemployed. It was completely unnecessary and abundantly classless.

Demonpenz
12-01-2009, 10:36 AM
More time to go fuck yourself

MOhillbilly
Shoulda worked harder....

ya know, kinda like the indians shoulda fought harder.

petegz28
who all is left? Burgoon, Lameireux, May & Burgin?

Burgoon, Burgin, Terry, Mat and Iwaniki

memyselfI
12-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Been there. You have my empathy. I fear we will start seeing a bunch of layoffs in the next few weeks from a number of companies. Just in time for the holidays. :banghead: :#

wild1
12-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Is Sprint still doing a lot of offshoring? I had heard before that much of their IT was going to India.

KC native
There's a big difference big slinging crap over in DC and doing so in a thread about him being unemployed. It was completely unnecessary and abundantly classless.

You going to cry about it?

memyselfI
WTF Guys?

Would you say this to him in real life, or are you all just being message-board assholes?

This guy is unemployed, in the midst of a recession, during the holidays and work is difficult to find.

Bravo.

To the idiots, karma baby.

memyselfI
12-01-2009, 10:39 AM

It's called humanity and humility. Try them. You might like them.

KC native
12-01-2009, 10:40 AM
It's called humanity and humility. Try them. You might like them.

:rolleyes: yea because so much of that comes to me on here.

Donger
12-01-2009, 10:41 AM

If you want to classify pointing out that you're a classless prick as crying, so be it. Please continue confirming it.

MOhillbilly
Bravo.

To the idiots, karma baby.

Karma is universal.

memyselfI
Karma is universal.

Indeed. That is why I do not wish bad things on people who might otherwise 'deserve' them....

MOhillbilly
12-01-2009, 10:42 AM

*sniff* heres a hanky.

Donger
12-01-2009, 10:43 AM

Wait, are you crying about something? Lashing out because of some perceived wrong?

Jesus, what a vacuous turd you are.

memyselfI
12-01-2009, 10:43 AM

Not much comes my way either but I'm usually one of the people found on these or the prayer threads if I see them.

There is one thing about being a 'personality' on a message board. Something quite different being a person in real life.

MOhillbilly
12-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Indeed. That is why I do not wish bad things on people who might otherwise 'deserve' them....

then why not just say 'pay backs a bitch' or whatnot?

BigRedChief
12-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Yes I am\was.Can't find the one I worked with in the past but heres one I got last week. Immediate opening in Columbus. Sent the details in a PM.

KC native
12-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Wait, are you crying about something? Lashing out because of some perceived wrong?

Jesus, what a vacuous turd you are.

Not crying at all. Simply pointing out that what comes around, goes around.

memyselfI
12-01-2009, 10:46 AM
then why not just say 'pay backs a bitch' or whatnot?

Because 'paybacks' insinuate there is some kind of righteous retribution rather than a spiritual lesson to be learned.

ChiTown
12-01-2009, 10:46 AM

Stop making this about you. You self-absorbed twit.

KC native
12-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Not much comes my way either but I'm usually one of the people found on these or the prayer threads if I see them.

There is one thing about being a 'personality' on a message board. Something quite different being a person in real life.

So, when did this cease to be a message board and cross over into real life?

The Bad Guy
12-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Good luck Pete. Hopefully you do get that 30 weeks of severence. That's a nice cushion to fall on while something better comes along.

memyselfI
12-01-2009, 10:48 AM

When someone comes here with a real life problem like losing a job or a loved one, etc. Comes here in pain asking for a small gesture of good will or a shoulder.

Iowanian
Maybe in honor of KCnutbag's posts, you can spend some of your free time locating illegals to turn in for deportation, thereby making some additional jobs available.

chi, you mispelled twat.

Donger

Ah, so it is retribution? My, what a little man you are.

The Bad Guy

I always loved this argument. The people you are responding to aren't robots.

sparkky
12-01-2009, 10:49 AM
sorry to hear about the job loss. lot's of that going around lately, and probably not near the end either.

I wish ya luck. I hate for any honest, working man to lose his job. this goes way beyond a internet board.

KC native
12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Ah, so it is retribution? My, what a little man you are.

:spock: Don't see how it's retribution. I thought it was funny and wished him well despite how I felt about him. So, you want to keep making this thread about me or let people wish pete well?

Brock
12-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Sorry, Pete. Fuck you, Native.

Donger

Interesting. So, you think you are responding to a bunch of computers? The amusing and moderately pathetic part is that you've already stated that you are butt hurt and that's why you lashed out. Seems that you are the one who has trouble separating the two.

And, yes, now comes the inevitable, "Who cares? It's just a message board." excuse.

BigRedChief
Not crying at all. Simply pointing out that what comes around, goes around.Come on make a different choice. I'm on a different side of the political fence but he's still a Chiefs fan and lost his job through no fault of his own. You don't have to show some compassion, offer help. But at least don't be kicking him while he's down.

I also know this company uses a lot of application packagers.

www.tcml.com (http://www.tcml.com)

Donger
12-01-2009, 10:53 AM
:spock: Don't see how it's retribution. I thought it was funny and wished him well despite how I felt about him. So, you want to keep making this thread about me or let people wish pete well?

"Simply pointing out that what comes around, goes around."

Having reading comprehension issues today?

KC native
12-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Interesting. So, you think you are responding to a bunch of computers? The amusing and moderately pathetic part is that you've already stated that you are butt hurt and that's why you lashed out. Seems that you are the one who has trouble separating the two.

And, yes, now comes the inevitable, "Who cares? It's just a message board." excuse.

Actually I think your response is quite hilarious. It's quite apparent who has more invested in this emotionally than I do.

KC native
12-01-2009, 10:54 AM
"Simply pointing out that what comes around, goes around."

Having reading comprehension issues today?

No but you are.

Braincase
12-01-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't think any of us have so much karmic surplus built up that we can start wishing for bad things to happen to others, or celebrate it when it happens. I know I sure as hell don't.

Donger
12-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Actually I think your response is quite hilarious. It's quite apparent who has more invested in this emotionally than I do.

There it is.

KC native
12-01-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't think any of us have so much karmic surplus built up that we can start wishing for bad things to happen to others, or celebrate it when it happens. I know I sure as hell don't.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me where I wished bad things upon pete or celebrated that he lost his job.

Demonpenz
12-01-2009, 11:02 AM
sorry pete, you are a loyal royals fan. Good luck

BigCatDaddy
12-01-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm still waiting for someone to show me where I wished bad things upon pete or celebrated that he lost his job.

Show some class dude and just stop posting in the thread.

Buehler445
12-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Pete, sorry to hear about this.

Bad bad day for you brother.
Posted via Mobile Device

talastan
12-01-2009, 11:03 AM

While you didn't' "wish" bad on pete, you could've phrased the post differently IMO. You could've just wished him luck on the job hunt. Or said something like, "even though we have our differences...." But calling a guy a dickhead at the same time he just said he's lost his job, it really shows a lack of concern for your fellow man IMO. I have my disagreements with people on this board and in DC; but I wouldn't ever call anyone a name in a serious thread like this. Just me though....:shrug:

Coach
12-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Sorry to hear Pete.

MOhillbilly
12-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Pete, sorry to hear about this.

Bad bad day for you brother.
Posted via Mobile Device

way to sugarcoat it.

TrebMaxx
12-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Sorry to hear Pete. Keep in mind, sometimes these types of life changes work out for the best in the long run. Good luck in your finding a better job. Keep positive.

Gonzo
12-01-2009, 11:10 AM

I believe this summed it up dude...

Perhaps keeping your opinion about his disposition to yourself would have been a more suitable approach?
Prefacing your personal feelings about him before the well-wishes just makes you seem more of a dick.

Cannibal
12-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Pete can be and has been a douche to people many times on this board. That said, I hope he pulls through and finds a job asap.

Work at my place of employment is extra slow right now as well. We had layoffs earlier this year and it is looking like more could be on the way.

Molitoth
12-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Anyone who takes a job at Sprint should expect to by laid off.

Everyone I know that has worked there has been laid off.

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Sorry to hear about your job loss, Pete.

But having family members that worked there and left and/or were laid off, they've all been MUCH better off in terms of finances and stability after leaving Sprint.

Hopefully, it will work out that way for you as well.

Best of luck!

Chief Henry
12-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Remember that asshat...

Good luck Pete in your job search.

Brock
12-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Pete can be and has been a douche to people many times on this board.

And who couldnt' that be said about?

Cannibal
12-01-2009, 11:15 AM

True. I am in his same boat.

Gonzo

Me...

I love everyone on here. Well, except for you, fuckhead.

:D

BigRedChief
Sorry to hear about your job loss, Pete.

But having family members that worked there and left and/or were laid off, they've all been MUCH better off in terms of finances and stability after leaving Sprint.

Hopefully, it will work out that way for you as well.

Best of luck!
Yeah, I'm making double what I was at Sprint in 4 years. Looking at maybe triple in another 2 years. Theres always a bright side. You got marketable skills. You'll land on your feet.:thumb:

Skip Towne
12-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Damn Pete, that was a bad call. Good luck with your search.

petegz28
12-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Damn Pete, that was a bad call. Good luck with your search.

lmao
Posted via Mobile Device

phisherman
12-01-2009, 11:22 AM
you finally get to join the club with roger and i, pete.

sorry to hear it man, guess being boat buddies means a lot eh?

any other surprises? if you want, just let me know via PM.

petegz28
12-01-2009, 11:26 AM
you finally get to join the club with roger and i, pete.

sorry to hear it man, guess being boat buddies means a lot eh?

any other surprises? if you want, just let me know via PM.

i haven't heard anything from anyone yet. i suspect there were only 2-3 cuts. i definitley have been getting lip service from don the last few weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

phisherman
12-01-2009, 11:27 AM
i'd say so, considering you got a new ticket last night?

J Diddy
12-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Good luck to you pete. You'll find something better, just milk the unemployment out of them bastards first.

Furthermore, anyone who is an internet tough guy thinking its funny to bash a guy who lost his job, at this time of year, with the economy the way it is should be subjected to an extra dull, extra rusty nuthook experiment. Political arguments are one thing, but come the fuck on. I hope you catch your cock in your zipper today and it hurts, really hurts.

phisherman
12-01-2009, 11:29 AM
dude, trust me, take some time off.

i jumped back in quickly and regretted it in the long run. you had a long run there; you deserve some time for R & R.

Dayze
12-01-2009, 11:37 AM
sorry man. Same thing happened to me last october; out of the blue on a Friday.
I had a liquid lunch that day too. luckily, in the sticks that is peculiar, MO i knew the kid working at Caseys fairly well and he rung up the beer at 8:30am lol.

petegz28
12-01-2009, 11:37 AM
dude, trust me, take some time off.

i jumped back in quickly and regretted it in the long run. you had a long run there; you deserve some time for R & R.
fuck, i'm bored already
Posted via Mobile Device

phisherman
12-01-2009, 11:39 AM
oh well, you can take up drinking for sport. become a pro! lol

LaChapelle
12-01-2009, 11:40 AM
May you soon look on this day as a blessing

~please don't go into carpentry

Mr. Flopnuts
12-01-2009, 11:40 AM

Well what do you think of the Iphone now :)

Oh and sorry dude but really Sprint suck balls hope the next thing is even better!

I like all of you guys under normal circumstances. But you're all assholes today. You're gonna let petty internet arguments cause you to act like this? Shameful.

Pete, the timing couldn't be worse. Hang in there buddy. Good luck finding something quickly.

Dayze
12-01-2009, 11:46 AM
I like all of you guys under normal circumstances. But you're all assholes today. You're gonna let petty internet arguments cause you to act like this? Shameful.

Pete, the timing couldn't be worse. Hang in there buddy. Good luck finding something quickly.

No sh8t.:shake:
I got whacked ; everyone else i knew was at work; only place I had to vent was CP.

Ecouraging thoughts helped get rid of the shock of it all.

MahiMike
12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Sorry to hear that. My brother in law contracts there thru EDS. Recently had to take a 15% cut. Sucks out there. Good luck.

vailpass
12-01-2009, 11:52 AM

And you wonder why nobody likes you.

journeyscarab
12-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Pete -

Sorry about your job...certainly the worst time of year to have that happen. I was cut in March but was fortunate to find a contract gig by May. They have now offered me a 1 year contract which is great but I have to figure the tax stuff and cover my own insurance. I cannot promise anything but if you want to forward me your resume I'll keep my eyes open here.

Good luck man...hang in there and something will come your way. Attitude determines altitude!

Lumpy
12-01-2009, 12:01 PM
That sucks Pete. :( Hang in there!

Jilly
12-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Sorry, Pete....maybe this will present some new opportunity that's out there for you. In the meantime, do some stuff you never have time to do and fire up the old resume... it's hard and it sucks, but there's got to be a place for you somewhere.

Donger
12-01-2009, 12:08 PM
****, i'm bored already
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, in between working on your resume and job hunting, may I suggest a fun and worthwhile diversion? How about driving around and looking for illegal aliens, recording their whereabouts and then reporting to them to the authorities?

1ChiefsDan
12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
http://www.globalfo<WBR title=blocked::http://www.globalforumtv.net/itjobs/jobsearch.asp>rumtv.net/<WBR title=blocked::http://www.globalforumtv.net/itjobs/jobsearch.asp>itjobs/jobsearch<WBR title=blocked::http://www.globalforumtv.net/itjobs/jobsearch.asp>.asp (http://www.globalforumtv.net/itjobs/jobsearch.asp)

Just got this link today in one of the forums I am a member of. Free IT job search engine.

Dartgod
12-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Good luck in your job search Pete. There are plenty of people here willing to help out in times like these.

ClevelandBronco
12-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Damn. Sorry, Pete.

DeezNutz
12-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Sorry to hear about this.

These kinds of situations have a weird way of working out for the best, and I wish you nothing but luck with the search.

memyselfI
12-01-2009, 12:24 PM
You know this is a bit OT but it infuriates me to see that fuggin area downtown while people are getting the axe and families thrown into turmoil. How many jobs could have been saved by the money paid to fund that arena?

Cannibal
12-01-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't have a problem with publicly fund arenas if the public actually votes on the arena and if the public actually owns the arena when it is complete. What I hate is arenas or stadiums that are publicly funded where private parties own controlling interest.

Cannibal
12-01-2009, 12:28 PM
If a private entity wants to own an arena, they should have to fuckin pay for it 100%.

dirk digler
12-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I am sorry to hear about this my friend. I hope you find something soon or maybe enjoy the time off. I wish I could fire one of my stupid employees I would hire you.

tyton75
12-01-2009, 12:34 PM
fwiw.. Sprint laid me off in Feb... enjoy the time off with your severance... you'll find another gig

HemiEd
12-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Sad deal, especially this time of year Pete.

Good luck, and usually things turn out for the better in the long run. Keep a positive attitude and you should be fine.

ClevelandBronco
12-01-2009, 12:36 PM
You guys need to relax. Pete's slung plenty of shit my way and can take care of himself. I said even though I though he is a prick that it sucks to lose his job and good luck on the job search. Learn how to ****ing read.

One rarely gets to see as complete an asshole as you in action.

phisherman
12-01-2009, 12:42 PM
fwiw.. Sprint laid me off in Feb... enjoy the time off with your severance... you'll find another gig

and they got me in april...the team that pete and i were on has decreased in size dramatically...

oh well, looks like they'll finally have to do some work since they're basically 1/3 the size they used to be.

wutamess
12-01-2009, 12:44 PM
i haven't heard anything from anyone yet. i suspect there were only 2-3 cuts. i definitley have been getting lip service from don the last few weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

What kind of lip service?

Slainte
12-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Suck to hear about this. May your search for a new and better job be ridiculously short.

wutamess
12-01-2009, 12:46 PM

I heard about ur layoff. wtf u doin now?
Ketter's depressed ass is still hangin on. eh?

tyton75
12-01-2009, 12:51 PM
I heard about ur layoff. wtf u doin now?
Ketter's depressed ass is still hangin on. eh?

he's still hangin on from what i understand.. I'm over at Cerner now

what are you up to these days?

petegz28
12-01-2009, 12:53 PM
What kind of lip service?

Everyone was being put on projects but me. Everyone had a full bucket but me. When I approached him about it and basically had it out with him he finally put me on the projects at hand. Kept telling me not to read into anything, that I was the best project lead on his team, etc, etc.

Turns out it was all hooey to pacify me for the time being.

Fish
12-01-2009, 12:56 PM
This is all Trey Hillman's fault......

Pitt Gorilla
12-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Well, in between working on your resume and job hunting, may I suggest a fun and worthwhile diversion? How about driving around and looking for illegal aliens, recording their whereabouts and then reporting to them to the authorities?How can you tell that they are illegal whilst "driving around?"

wutamess
12-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Everyone was being put on projects but me. Everyone had a full bucket but me. When I approached him about it and basically had it out with him he finally put me on the projects at hand. Kept telling me not to read into anything, that I was the best project lead on his team, etc, etc.

Turns out it was all hooey to pacify me for the time being.

You the only one today?

Donger
12-01-2009, 01:08 PM
How can you tell that they are illegal whilst "driving around?"

I'm sure the bunch of people hanging around outside the local Home Depot speaking Mexican are actually there for a civics seminar.

Coach
12-01-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm sure the bunch of people hanging around outside the local Home Depot speaking Mexican are actually there for a civics seminar.

Si Seņor.

Pitt Gorilla
I'm sure the bunch of people hanging around outside the local Home Depot speaking Mexican are actually there for a civics seminar.It seems like you already know where the illegals are.

Inspector
Sorry to hear that Pete. Many of the folks that used to work with me left for jobs at Sprint years ago and I think almost all of them are no longer there. Some have even returned back to us.

We just let a bunch go too. Always seems to happen right before the holidays.

Good luck with your next job. Hopefully you'll find it soon.

ClevelandBronco
12-01-2009, 01:11 PM
How can you tell that they are illegal whilst "driving around?"

Drive around in a green and white 4WD with this on the side:

http://www.jestdesigns.com/images/popular-designs/u.s.-immigration-customs-enforcement-agent_320x320.jpg

ClevelandBronco
12-01-2009, 01:12 PM
EDIT: Unless you live in a sanctuary city, of course, such as Denver.

Damn. I even screwed up the editing process.

KC native
12-01-2009, 01:13 PM

Ah more passive aggressive bitch ass nonsense from donger.

It's funny that you're still trying to make the thread about me.

KC native
12-01-2009, 01:14 PM
One rarely gets to see as complete an asshole as you in action.

Drive around in a green and white 4WD with this on the side:

http://www.jestdesigns.com/images/popular-designs/u.s.-immigration-customs-enforcement-agent_320x320.jpg

And one gets to see pussy shit like this from people like you all the time.

Donger
12-01-2009, 01:14 PM
It seems like you already know where the illegals are.

Sure.

Donger
12-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Ah more passive aggressive bitch ass nonsense from donger.

It's funny that you're still trying to make the thread about me.

Nonsense? How so?

RJ
12-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Sorry to hear it, Pete, but try to look on the bright side.....you got 30 weeks severance, you'll be able to have some time off for the holidays and you'll probably find a better gig when it's all said and done. My employer went O/B right at Christmas last year and I actually enjoyed having a few weeks off, even if it was without pay. Make the best of your time and good luck finding something new.

KC native
12-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Nonsense? How so?

Because you're too much of a pussy to voice how you really feel without resorting to passive aggressive tactics like mentioning illegal immigrants (trying to provoke a reaction from me) in a thread about pete losing his job.

Donger
12-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Because you're too much of a pussy to voice how you really feel without resorting to passive aggressive tactics like mentioning illegal immigrants (trying to provoke a reaction from me) in a thread about pete losing his job.

How I really feel about what?

KC native
12-01-2009, 01:21 PM
How I really feel about what?

:spock: Really?

Donger
12-01-2009, 01:22 PM
:spock: Really?

I just want to be sure what you think I won't give you an answer on.

Lumpy
12-01-2009, 01:23 PM
...Kept telling me not to read into anything, that I was the best project lead on his team, etc, etc.

Ah geez, they played the whole "don't read into anything" phrase on u. :rolleyes: That should have been a huge red flag. They should have been upfront w/ u instead of taking the pussy route to spare ur feelings or whatever. Douchebags!

KC native
12-01-2009, 01:26 PM
I just want to be sure what you think I won't give you an answer on.

No, you want to play passive aggressive. I'm not spelling it out for you. If you lack the ability to discern what is meant after a series of posts and the context of our other discussions then that's your problem.

Donger
12-01-2009, 01:28 PM
No, you want to play passive aggressive. I'm not spelling it out for you. If you lack the ability to discern what is meant after a series of posts and the context of our other discussions then that's your problem.

Well, I presume it has to do with what I think about illegal aliens, but again, I'd rather not presume.

If so, I've told you repeatedly what I think we should do with Illegal aliens, so therefore, I don't understand why you wrote what you did in post #155.

KC native
12-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Well, I presume it has to do with what I think about illegal aliens, but again, I'd rather not presume.

If so, I've told you repeatedly what I think we should do with Illegal aliens, so therefore, I don't understand why you wrote what you did in post #155.

Horseshit. Quit being a pussy.

alanm
12-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Damn Pete, I'm sorry to hear that. I know it's rough to hear but maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Good luck. Take a week off and hit the ground running.

petegz28
12-01-2009, 01:35 PM
You the only one today?

Me and some guy named Louis from SMS....pretty cheesy if you ask me

petegz28
12-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Damn Pete, I'm sorry to hear that. I know it's rough to hear but maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Good luck. Take a week off and hit the ground running.

I'm sure it is. After worrying about layoffs every 3-6 months for the lst several years I welcome at least ridding myself of the stress of that part anyway

Donger
12-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Horseshit. Quit being a pussy.

I'd be happy to answer any question you put forth. Proceed, or is there some reason you don't want to ask me a straightforward question?

KC native
12-01-2009, 01:43 PM
I'd be happy to answer any question you put forth. Proceed, or is there some reason you don't want to ask me a straightforward question?

Um, how can I put this plainly....

I'm not playing your passive aggressive game. If you have something to say, and I know you do, then say it directly. I'm not the one trying to make this thread about me. You are.

Donger
12-01-2009, 01:44 PM

I'm not playing your passive aggressive game. If you have something to say, and I know you do, then say it directly. I'm not the one trying to make this thread about me. You are.

I already stated that you're a prick. You want me to add to that?

Slainte
12-01-2009, 01:47 PM

This kind of reminds me of how Luv's "I Have A Date" thread became all about "Trying To Get Claythan Laid"...

Really, both of you should stop now. Though you probably won't.

Phobia
12-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Good luck Pete. Been there. It's part of the reason I'm self-employed. I only have myself to blame when times are rough.

Pitt Gorilla
12-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Sure.So, you want to send pete out to collect information that you already have? Wouldn't it be a better use of his time to work towards finding a new job than needlessly running around for Donger?

Mr. Flopnuts
12-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Good luck Pete. Been there. It's part of the reason I'm self-employed. I only have myself to blame when times are rough.

Interestingly enough I lost my job last week and am feeling the same way right now. I need to make my own way and quit counting on others to keep their ends of bargains.

Pitt Gorilla
12-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Interestingly enough I lost my job last week and am feeling the same way right now. I need to make my own way and quit counting on others to keep their ends of bargains.Good luck to you, pete, and others without jobs during the holiday season.

Donger
12-01-2009, 02:06 PM
So, you want to send pete out to collect information that you already have? Wouldn't it be a better use of his time to work towards finding a new job than needlessly running around for Donger?

Like I wrote, a fun and worthwhile diversion.

stevieray
12-01-2009, 02:06 PM

sounds like my oldest whining about the youngest.

stevieray
12-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Good luck to you, pete, and others without jobs during the holiday season.

i hear that.

keep swinging...

The Bunk
12-01-2009, 02:20 PM
I left before they could get me, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Five years ago now and I barely remember anything about the place, other than how bad it sucked.

I just got through reading that Perceptive was hiring. Don't know if it's true or not, but might be worth checking out.

Boiled Chicken
12-01-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm sure it is. After worrying about layoffs every 3-6 months for the lst several years I welcome at least ridding myself of the stress of that part anyway

Terribly sorry to hear this. But you're right, at least the weight is off, cause we're hearing another one is coming in March or April.

Direckshun
12-01-2009, 02:43 PM
You can probably find pretty steady employment in the military. :)

I haven't read the thread, but I'm really sorry to hear the guillotine fell on your job. Just the worst timing, but there's never good timing to lose a job you've held for over a decade.

Do yourself a favor, and react positively, with energy, rather than desperately by making yourself a victim. A job will come. You've got to be strong.

Direckshun
12-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I remember the last time I was fired for some shit job I was doing up in KC back in 2006, shortly after New Year's Day. My girlfriend of three years broke up with me the week before. I was a shell of a human and did nothing (and I mean nothing) for five months. Don't be that guy.

I remember I was being driven out to my car in the super-ice outside by the guy who fired me.

He was like "you must think I'm the worst guy."

I mean, how self-centered can you get. I'm just trying to keep the world from spinning, dude, I could give a shit about you.

But I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings over you firing me. Tell you what, we can go back inside and you can fire me again. I'll pat you on the back and congratulate you on a job well done.

Not interested? Alright, well I hope you still have room in your three-car garage for shame, since you obviously leave it at home with you every day you come to work.

wutamess
12-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Pete is rich. Don't let him losing the job fool ya.

petegz28
12-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Pete is rich. Don't let him losing the job fool ya.

Rich? Me? Shit, if I were I would have told Sprint to fuck off a long time ago. No one has the means of Roger.

wutamess
12-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Rich? Me? Shit, if I were I would have told Sprint to **** off a long time ago. No one has the means of Roger.

Yeah right! I'm pissed COBRA raised health insurance rates on the fam.
:mad:

petegz28
12-01-2009, 03:06 PM

You need some Obama bucks!

wutamess
12-01-2009, 03:08 PM
You need some Obama bucks!

Exactly. They ran out.

El Jefe
12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I remember the last time I was fired for some shit job I was doing up in KC back in 2006, shortly after New Year's Day. My girlfriend of three years broke up with me the week before. I was a shell of a human and did nothing (and I mean nothing) for five months. Don't be that guy.

I remember I was being driven out to my car in the super-ice outside by the guy who fired me.

He was like "you must think I'm the worst guy."

I mean, how self-centered can you get. I'm just trying to keep the world from spinning, dude, I could give a shit about you.

But I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings over you firing me. Tell you what, we can go back inside and you can fire me again. I'll pat you on the back and congratulate you on a job well done.

Not interested? Alright, well I hope you still have room in your three-car garage for shame, since you obviously leave it at home with you every day you come to work.

Dang man crazy story, but you're better off for it. Good luck pete.

GloryDayz
12-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Keep your chin up...

Easy 6
12-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that Pete

Get your unemployment rolling in asap while you look around for another opportunity, you deserve it.

Best of luck.

petegz28
12-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Well, thanks again everyone for the kind words. When a door closes another opens is how it has to be approached. I will miss the working from home and the good pay and extensive vacation time I earned.

wutamess
12-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Well, thanks again everyone for the kind words. When a door closes another opens is how it has to be approached. I will miss the working from home and the good pay and extensive vacation time I earned.

Yup... it's a huge adjustment from what you're used to. I'm finally starting to get acclimated to it somewhat.

rtmike
12-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Sorry to hear. That just plain sucks this time of year. Did they have the balls to tell in person? I didn't read all the posts so sorry if you already said.

wutamess
12-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Was it a known axe day or did Don just hit you with it blindsided?
Also, did he read from the script (with his sad... this is the hardest day ever face?) while Hardy as in there?

BigMeatballDave
12-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Wow. Sprint is even more of a shit company than I thought. How the fuck do you terminate people in December? Cockbags.

Sorry to hear this Pete. Lousy timing. Good luck in your search.

phisherman
12-01-2009, 04:01 PM
it was a known axe day.

kc rush
12-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Sorry to hear it Pete. Good luck finding something new.

teedubya
12-01-2009, 04:07 PM

This is a nicer version of what I tried to say. LOL.

When all you look at and see is rainclouds of negativity... then the only thing that can come your way is thunderstorms.

Think sunshine, Pete. Not Orange Bowls. Not bad refs. Not every effin thing...

Read "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle

Its a great book...

Dartgod
12-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that Pete

Get your unemployment rolling in asap while you look around for another opportunity, you deserve it.

Best of luck.
THIS!

I was surprised to learn that I could draw Kansas unemployment while receiving a severance. In fact, my severance did not include the 10% pay cut we took at the beginning of the year, so for 2 months while I was receiving both, I was making more money than I ever had in my life.

tomahawk kid
12-01-2009, 04:10 PM
THIS!

I was surprised to learn that I could draw Kansas unemployment while receiving a severance. In fact, my severance did not include the 10% pay cut we took at the beginning of the year, so for 2 months while I was receiving both, I was making more money than I ever had in my life.

You can't draw unemploment for the first 60 days though, correct?

ChiTown
12-01-2009, 04:11 PM

This

I hope I continue to be blessed to decide my future/career. Working for someone else (other than me) would be tough.

Bwana
12-01-2009, 04:13 PM
WTF Guys?

Yep, it's low test.

Sorry to hear about your job loss dude. I hope you find someting fast.

Dartgod
12-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Yes you can. I filed immediately and after 1 waiting week started receiving benefits.

wutamess
12-01-2009, 04:14 PM

Nope... you can draw unemployment immediately. The caveat is that there's a 1 week exemption to which you won't receive unemployment benefits for the first week you claim.

Dartgod
12-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Nope... you can draw unemployment immediately. The caveat is that there's a 1 week exemption to which you won't receive unemployment benefits the first week.
You do eventually get paid for that first week though. I don't remember which it was, week three or four I think, that I got paid for that initial week.

Bwana
12-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Sorry, Pete. **** you, Native.

This

wutamess
12-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Another thing Pete... don't wait until the last minute to go to the doctor if your health benfits run out. Go now and get everything resolved... If you have to go out on your own, there's a chance you might not get coverage if something comes up.

Get it taken care of NOW.

Spott
12-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Was your job specifically for the telecom industry or is it something you can do anywhere?

tomahawk kid
12-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Yes you can. I filed immediately and after 1 waiting week started receiving benefits.

I had a friend who did that while drawing severance and the State of KS came back about a month later and said he had to repay unemployment drawn during his WARN period (first 60 days after notification).

They eventually just repaid it out to him later (via his weekly claims), but they did make him re-pay it.

memyselfI
12-01-2009, 04:36 PM

From what I understand, without getting too political, is that the extension for the partial subsidizing of the payment of premiums ran out or is running out. Thus, anyone on Cobra will faced increased premiums not because of anything they are dong but because the Congress has not passed another subsidy and the WH hasn't pushed it.

I reckon once people start getting their bills for premiums in December and they have to choose between Christmas shopping and health insurance then things will start getting done. Can't risk further damage to the economy because of higher Cobra payments.

phisherman
12-01-2009, 04:37 PM
because sprint's layoffs are through the WARN act, you do have to wait 60 days to draw unemployment. the upside to that is, if any, that he will still accumulate PTO for 60 days after his separation date.

petegz28
12-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Was it a known axe day or did Don just hit you with it blindsided?
Also, did he read from the script (with his sad... this is the hardest day ever face?) while Hardy as in there?

I had a feeling I was next to go on Don's list based on earloer layoffs. Yes he read the script and yes Hardy was there.

BigMeatballDave
12-01-2009, 05:16 PM
because sprint's layoffs are through the WARN act, you do have to wait 60 days to draw unemployment. the upside to that is, if any, that he will still accumulate PTO for 60 days after his separation date.60 days? WTF?

petegz28
12-01-2009, 05:30 PM
60 days? WTF?

Basically WARN says you have to give the employee 60 days notice that they are being terminated, since it is a layoff and not an outright termination. I believe you have to follow WARN if you layoff 100+ people.

stlchiefs
12-01-2009, 05:37 PM
WTF Guys?

Exactly. Good luck to you and anyone else job searching out there right now. Bad timing, but hopefully it works out for the better.

teedubya
12-01-2009, 05:40 PM
You'll get about 40 weeks or so of around $425 bucks... at least a friend got that.

BigRedChief
12-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Wow. Sprint is even more of a shit company than I thought. How the **** do you terminate people in December? Cockbags.

Sorry to hear this Pete. Lousy timing. Good luck in your search.
When I was there in 2002 they were cutting in December.

GordonGekko
12-01-2009, 05:47 PM
that sucks petegz28. the bright side is that your resume is probably pretty solid with 12 years working for a pretty good company, you should be able to find work shortly.

bevischief
12-01-2009, 05:49 PM
http://www.job-hunt.org

Is a great website for those who are looking and need to get up to date advice and resume help.

Simply Red
12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
whatever you do, don't make a lateral move. Plenty of companies hiring, you may want to get out of the city you're in, to increase possibilities.

:edit: never mind, you're in Olathe!

Titty Meat
12-01-2009, 05:52 PM
The assholes who were talking shit to Pete after losing his job need a vacation. Sorry to hear that Pete you'll get another good job though.

BIG_DADDY
12-01-2009, 05:53 PM

I am really sorry to hear that brother.

phisherman
12-01-2009, 05:56 PM
that sucks petegz28. the bright side is that your resume is probably pretty solid with 12 years working for a pretty good company, you should be able to find work shortly.

unfortunately i found out that in kc, this really isn't true. ex-sprint employees are not viewed very highly in the IT community here.

this is a real drag because unlike the shit ton of PMs that have gotten laid off, jobs like the one that pete and i had actually did tickets/work on a daily basis, not just hold conference calls all day.

Chief Henry
12-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Good luck Pete. Try to keep your spirits up.

|Zach|
12-01-2009, 06:11 PM
unfortunately i found out that in kc, this really isn't true. ex-sprint employees are not viewed very highly in the IT community here.

this is a real drag because unlike the shit ton of PMs that have gotten laid off, jobs like the one that pete and i had actually did tickets/work on a daily basis, not just hold conference calls all day.

Yea, its been my experience that Sprint PMs are just so far in their box of comfort of how things went at Sprint that they don't adapt or change well. Not a knock on anyone personally just been an observation working with a few.

Al Bundy
12-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Damn, that sucks Pete.. hopefully you find something soon.

jynni
12-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Worked over nine years at Sprint and was laid off back in March. My useless idiot of a director couldn't ever be bothered to fly in from Denver to tell us face to face (my group of 9 lost 6 people). We just went to a conference room and she told us over the phone.

All that said, best thing that ever happened to me. Especially as I really wouldn't have wanted to be one of the three people left that had to absorb everyone else's work. I hated my job, hated my bosses and couldn't stand half my co-workers. Had considered leaving but was too comfortable with the salary and benefits (that free cell phone is nice). I had six months of severance plus unemployment and spent that entire time doing whatever the hell I wanted. First time in years that I was not either working or going to school - it was like an extended summer vacation. Was very lucky and landed a job with a great company (one that I had considered trying to get on with before the layoff) just as my severance was running out.

So good luck to you and as many others have already mentioned - there is life after Sprint and it's so much better!

wild1
12-01-2009, 06:46 PM
For those of you who have been fired, how did they do it exactly? I'm curious about the language they use and if they call a meeting. What do they do with the people who are not being fired while all this is going on?

Saul Good
12-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Are you out drinking somewhere tonight? I'll buy you a beer if you are.

wazu
12-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Sorry, pete. Good luck finding a new gig soon. Keep the faith and stay positive.

Sure-Oz
12-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Sorry to hear...hope things get better for you. Take advantage of the time off and re-charge a bit.

petegz28
12-01-2009, 07:47 PM
For those of you who have been fired, how did they do it exactly? I'm curious about the language they use and if they call a meeting. What do they do with the people who are not being fired while all this is going on?

Well, the way we do it is they call each person into a conference room one by one and tell you whether or not you have a job. Usually the first people called are the ones that are let go. So I knew when my phone rang 15 min after they started I was out.

WilliamTheIrish
12-01-2009, 07:54 PM
F*ck Petey.. Sorry to hear that. And you know what? If you hadn't persisted in your own special way, I'd have NEVER bought that Palm Pre with a two year deal with Sprint. EIGHT days ago.

I'm going to have to consider taking the thing back.

Hang in their dude.

BigMeatballDave
12-01-2009, 07:56 PM
For those of you who have been fired, how did they do it exactly? I'm curious about the language they use and if they call a meeting. What do they do with the people who are not being fired while all this is going on?For me, it was quite simple. My Foreman came to me and said he and the VP want to speak to me. I sat down in the VPs office and I knew what was happening. They gave me a seperation notice. They both seemed very sorry. I was also informed I would be recalled. I still haven't, but I'm hopeful. I have a job now, but I liked that one much better.

Bwana
12-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Yeah, it sounds like Sprint treats their people like cattle. What a rat soup outfit.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-01-2009, 08:02 PM
For me, it was quite simple. My Foreman came to me and said he and the VP want to speak to me. I sat down in the VPs office and I knew what was happening. They gave me a seperation notice. They both seemed very sorry. I was also informed I would be recalled. I still haven't, but I'm hopeful. I have a job now, but I liked that one much better.

Call them and remind them. You never know..............

petegz28
12-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Yeah, it sounds like Sprint treats their people like cattle. What a rat soup outfit.

Pretty much. The wife and I just figured out I have been stressing over layoffs at Sprint at least once a year, if not more since 2001. I am probably luck though, a person I know in another part of Sprint was told the next round of layoffs will have severance severely reduced if not cut at all

Saul Good
12-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Pretty much. The wife and I just figured out I have been stressing over layoffs at Sprint at least once a year, if not more since 2001. I am probably luck though, a person I know in another part of Sprint was told the next round of layoffs will have severance severely reduced if not cut at all

If you find a job quickly, this turns into a huge signing bonus.

Spott
12-01-2009, 08:30 PM

Do you have any experience with Networking/Telecom?

dirk digler
12-01-2009, 08:37 PM
So Pete how does this WARN act work? Do you get paid for those 60 days before you can draw unemployment?

petegz28
12-01-2009, 09:16 PM
So Pete how does this WARN act work? Do you get paid for those 60 days before you can draw unemployment?

Exactly. Basically it is a notification period.

petegz28
12-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Do you have any experience with Networking/Telecom?

Probably one of the areas I really don't. I was never much of a cable runner or anything. Understood networking but never had to support it outside of the networking stuff on the servers.

Al Czervik
12-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Very sorry to hear that Pete.....

Good luck in your search.....

googlegoogle
12-02-2009, 02:27 AM
Obama will fix everything Pete.

kepp
12-02-2009, 07:53 AM
If you find a job quickly, this turns into a huge signing bonus.

Absolutely. I have a coworker who was laid off from Sprint and got a good severance pkg. He bought a Harley with it after finding a job in just a few weeks.

kepp
12-02-2009, 07:55 AM

I think that's actually a really good description. I took a quick inventory after this thread started and it's amazing how many of my current coworkers have been laid off from there.

patteeu
12-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear it, petegz28.

bobbymitch
12-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your being let go. Where I live about every third or fourth house has someone that either still is or was working for Sprint. Even the golf league that I used to play in was about half ex-Sprint employees. Most were let go and re-hired as independent contractors. My old golf partner wound up starting his own company using the Internet for small company phone systems (or something close thereto - couldn't really understand the details).

KCFANinNC
12-02-2009, 03:45 PM
I got laid of March 13 and landed @ TW Cable 2 months later. I had 3 offers to choose from.

Hang in there, luckily you got a REALLY good severance pkg.

HC_Chief
12-02-2009, 04:18 PM
It was a good thing. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience.

That company is so #*^$@ed up you will be amazed by the efficiency and common sense you encounter in your next gig. Hell, Sprint is as bad as the government; even worse in some areas: at least the government has a few contractors with brains.

Sprint = 90% middle-management dumbshits with fiefdoms of stupidity to piss-mark.

R&GHomer
12-02-2009, 05:08 PM

and months if your like me. Sorry to hear you got the ax. This economy is for crap, I'm about to loose my car. Then what?

Oh and fyi, be prepared for them to tax the fucking shit out of your severance package! I think there might be away around it by maxing out your dependents not sure, I found out after the fact. Worth looking into.

jynni
12-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Severance pay is considered supplemental income and so is taxed at the supplemental rate of 25%. From what I was told, Sprint cannot change this, you have to call up the IRS and claim a hardship in order to get them to make an exception and tax you at the normal rate.

That said, once you start collecting unemployment, you can choose for that not to be taxed, so it should all even out when you file your taxes.