PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV AMC Theaters lays down the law: No more outside snacks

Deberg_1990
12-01-2009, 10:00 AM
heh..i never even realized they allowed you to do this....

Guess ill just continue to sneak it in the wifes purse. :)

http://www.kansascity.com/703/story/1603153.html

It’s fade-to-black for bringing your own snacks into AMC theaters.

“Not allowing guests to bring (snacks) in is consistent with many other entertainment venues, whether concerts, live theater, sporting events,” said Justin Scott, spokesman for Kansas City-based AMC Entertainment Inc.

AMC said that after reviewing its policy on concessions, it began testing the “no outside food” rule in October and is now rolling it out nationwide.

“We had always allowed guests to bring in whatever they want even though people didn’t think we did,” Scott said.

He wouldn’t elaborate on why AMC made the change, but the theater chain has seen declining revenues as people cut back their movie attendance during the recession or use cheaper and more convenient alternatives such as Netflix and Redbox.

AMC’s revenue from concessions, which makes up a big part of a theater’s profits, has also dropped.

Scott wouldn’t comment on customer response to the new policy.

On Monday at AMC’s BarryWoods 24 theaters, Julie McGohan of St. Joseph said she typically brings a candy bar but would stop if that wasn’t permitted.

Then another member of her party opened up a purse and pulled out a big box of Milk Duds.

“We’re going to have to start bringing bigger purses,” she said.

Another patron, Brigid Derby, said AMC food and drinks were too expensive and that given the economy, it was outrageous to stop customers from bringing in snacks to save some money.

But, she said, she’s still going to the movies.

“We need a little escapism and can it find in the movie experience. We’re going to keep on keeping on.”

As part of rethinking its concession policy, AMC also said it was revamping its concession menu to offer more choices and value. Its Olathe theaters feature everything from French toast to Thai coconut chicken tenders.

The National Association of Theatre Owners in Washington, D.C., declined to comment on outside food policies except to call them “company-by-company decisions.”

Dickinson Theaters in Overland Park also declined to comment on its policy.

Butch Rigby said he has a no-outside-food rule at his two area Screenland theaters and called AMC’s new policy “reasonable.”

“You are not really paying for the movie when you buy a ticket. A certain percentage goes to the studio, and then we have to pay for the double-high ceilings, the digital equipment,” he said.

“Yes, it is more expensive to buy a candy bar in a movie theater, but you are paying for the experience. We do most of our profits, if not all, on concessions. You wouldn’t take an entree into a restaurant.”

Still, he said, the two Screenlands try to be competitive on the price of their concessions, even for alcoholic beverages.

Tivoli Cinemas in Westport is surrounded by eateries and coffee shops, so it takes a “laissez faire” approach to outside food.

“My policy is: I would like for you to buy it from us, but am I going to alienate people by being strict about it?” said owner Jerry Harrington. “We don’t sell coffee, so if they want to bring it in that’s OK, or they say, ‘We just had dinner; can we bring this in?’ OK.”

“I like people and want them to like us.”

Brian Mossman, a partner in the Fine Arts Theatre Group, which owns three area theaters and has three more under development, said a no-outside-food policy is clearly posted at the ticket windows.

However, the theaters will offer to store drinks in coolers, and they let patrons take in bottled water, asking only that they take the empty bottles with them after the show.

“Sandwiches, foods, anything we don’t sell, we don’t want to pick it up later,” Mossman said.

“And everyone’s cost is going up, probably one reason (AMC) is cracking down on it.”

So will the new restrictions be more bomb or blockbuster?

“When people are used to doing something and then you try to go back and change it, it’s difficult,” Mossman said.

Demonpenz
12-01-2009, 10:02 AM
you're going to ask a teen or manager at an AMC manager to tell some hardworking person to not bring in snacks. Yeah right, not worth the arguement if i was working there.

Demonpenz
12-01-2009, 10:03 AM
All this shit is dumb anyway, if I really want to see a movie I can wait for it on dvd or torrent the shit. I want to see a movie on my terms.

Iowanian
12-01-2009, 10:03 AM
maybe they should consider reasonable concession fees. $15 for a popcorn and soda is ridiculous.

kepp
12-01-2009, 10:04 AM
He wouldn’t elaborate on why AMC made the change...

Uh...does this require an advanced degree?

Easy 6
12-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Stop charging $3.25 for a box of damn Raisinettes & i'll stop smuggling snacks.

Deberg_1990
12-01-2009, 10:10 AM
I wonder why Redbox is so popular??

Iowanian
12-01-2009, 10:11 AM
I hadn't been to a movie in quite a while and we went last month. There were 30-40 minutes of ads/commercials and the movie didn't start until at least 20 minutes after the advertised show time.

Frazod
12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
This is why I'll generally wait until a movie comes out on DVD/blu ray. I can OWN the movie for less than the price of snacks for two people at the concession stand and watch it from the comfort of my couch on my 46" HDTV.

4321 AMC

teedubya
12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Big Purses FTW!!!

wild1
12-01-2009, 10:17 AM
This is why I'll generally wait until a movie comes out on DVD/blu ray. I can OWN the movie for less than the price of snacks for two people at the concession stand and watch it from the comfort of my couch on my 46" HDTV.

4321 AMC

We went to a movie a few weekends ago (Saturday night) and it cost over $10 each. Couldn't believe it.

BWillie
12-01-2009, 10:19 AM
LOL I just carried in a red bull and some nuts the other day in my coat. Like they are going to know anyway

Mr. Plow
12-01-2009, 10:20 AM
maybe they should consider reasonable concession fees. $15 for a popcorn and soda is ridiculous.

No shit. When it costs $50 to go see a movie, get a coke and some snacks, it's too damn expensive.

gblowfish
12-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Who are the snack police?

mikeyis4dcats.
12-01-2009, 10:23 AM
You can't fault the theater for high concession prices. As has been said, the ticket price barely covers fixed costs and licensing fees for the movies. Movie theaters make their money on concessions, much like convenience stores.

The alternative is reasonable concession prices and a $15 ticket.

If you can't make it through a 90 minute movie without buying concessions, that's your problem. No one is forcing you to buy anything...

wild1
12-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Really, why do you need the snacks? I wonder about that.

Can't we Americans sit and watch something for 2 hours without a huge tub of something coated in salt and butter, an enormous soda, or some kind of candy? It's no wonder we have the weight problem we do in this country.

Hammock Parties
12-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Cinemark > AMC, anyway.

Suck my balls, AMC. Whatcha gonna do, check my pockets?

CoMoChief
12-01-2009, 10:28 AM
HAHA.....and yet the want people to dish out $10-$15 for a popcorn and a large drink on top of the $15-$20 it costs for (2) tickets to the movies.

Now you can't go to the movies on a date and not spend almost $35 if you're gonna let them ass rape you at the concession stands. especially in these hard economic times things like "going to the movies" is one of the first things people are cutting back on. Just find a good site and watch movies online pirated. Maybe not HD quality, but it works fine and it's better than dishing out almost $40.

**** em.....I'll wear my hoodie and buy candy at a gas station like I've always done, if I even go to a movie. I will go to the Theatres if it's something I really want to see on opening night like Dark Knight.

siberian khatru
12-01-2009, 10:33 AM
You can't fault the theater for high concession prices. As has been said, the ticket price barely covers fixed costs and licensing fees for the movies. Movie theaters make their money on concessions, much like convenience stores.

If you can't make it through a 90 minute movie without buying concessions, that's your problem. No one is forcing you to buy anything...

Exactly my thoughts (or as the kids today say, "THIS").

I understand why they're doing this, but they're fighting a losing battle. How do you enforce it? Many folks will find ways to cheat, others will cut back on concessions, and more people will just stay at home and watch all but a select few big "event" movies on their quality home theater systems.

I probably see less than 10 movies in a theater in a year anymore. A few "event" movies with my kids (such as "Star Trek"), an occasional date with my wife ("The Blind Side") or the once-in-a-long-time family outing ("Up").

Demonpenz
12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
they don't even sell beer unless it is one of those upper class joints

Fairplay
12-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Its so easy to sneak in food or snacks, especially with a female with you.
(fake purse) Gochiefs or SR can do that trick also.

Or, with winter coming. Having coats on. I don't believe in paying those crazy prices for such things in those theaters.

Bearcat
12-01-2009, 10:42 AM

Yep... I think more people would choose not to go to a movie if they had high ticket prices and low concessions than if it was the other way around, like it is now. People like to bitch that they're screwing the customer, but I prefer eating beforehand and paying a lower price for a ticket. :shrug:

Really, why do you need the snacks? I wonder about that.

Can't we Americans sit and watch something for 2 hours without a huge tub of something coated in salt and butter, an enormous soda, or some kind of candy? It's no wonder we have the weight problem we do in this country.

This, too. I guess some people are so used to it being 'part of the experience', it never occurs to them that you can watch a movie without popcorn or candy.

Bearcat
12-01-2009, 10:44 AM
It does suck though, because it was always nice to have dinner on the Plaza and then stop by Starbucks on the way to the theatre and carry it in without a hassle.

Easy 6
12-01-2009, 10:48 AM
. I guess some people are so used to it being 'part of the experience', it never occurs to them that you can watch a movie without popcorn or candy.

I'm sure most people are like me, in that they dont have to stuff their face every time they go to a movie... but when they do, they dont wanna drop a $20 on a popcorn & a couple of drinks.

I realize that theater companies, like newspapers, are hard up against it these days, but thats not my problem.

Chief Pote
12-01-2009, 10:50 AM

4321 AMC

Did you forget to amortize the cost of the TV? :D

memyselfI
12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Fine, no more AMC movies.

seclark
12-01-2009, 10:53 AM
been to 1 movie in the last 10 years. couldn't even tell you what it was. i slept through most of it.
sec

MMXcalibur
12-01-2009, 10:57 AM
I have zippers along my sleeves on my Chiefs winter coat. As I'm handing the ticket counter attendant the money to watch whatever movie I'm going in for, my Buncha Crunch is rattling around. :D

Bearcat
12-01-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm sure most people are like me, in that they dont have to stuff their face every time they go to a movie... but when they do, they dont wanna drop a $20 on a popcorn & a couple of drinks.

I realize that theater companies, like newspapers, are hard up against it these days, but thats not my problem.

Eh, it's either $20 for a ticket and $5 for concessions or a $5 ticket and $20 for concessions (or whatever), and it only becomes AMC's problem when either people stop paying the $20 for concessions or stop going at all, without the 3rd option of bringing your own food. I like the 3rd option as much as anyone, but it doesn't make sense for the business, especially when you can't do it at other venues.

It's a catch-22.... if you allow people to bring in their own food, you're hardly making any money off of them. If you don't allow it, people might choose an alternative, like Netflix or another theatre or whatever.

KCUnited
12-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Time to start tailgating before the show.

Bugeater
12-01-2009, 11:08 AM

Maybe they need to point the finger at the true culprit, which is the greed of Hollywood. When you have actors/actresses making fifty fucking million dollars to play a role, someone has to pay for it.

Easy 6
12-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Eh, it's either $20 for a ticket and $5 for concessions or a $5 ticket and $20 for concessions (or whatever), and it only becomes AMC's problem when either people stop paying the $20 for concessions or stop going at all, without the 3rd option of bringing your own food. I like the 3rd option as much as anyone, but it doesn't make sense for the business, especially when you can't do it at other venues.

It's a catch-22.... if you allow people to bring in their own food, you're hardly making any money off of them. If you don't allow it, people might choose an alternative, like Netflix or another theatre or whatever.

Yea, they are definitely in a 'damned if they do/dont' situation & i'd hate to see them go the way of the drive-in theater, because some movies just beg to be seen on a giant screen.

ElGringo
12-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I just think it is weird, all the people here talking about sneaking snacks in instead of paying for them, to me it is the equivalent of pirating a movie, instead of stealing from the big hollywood companies, you are stealing from the theater. However, when someone talks of pirating a movie, all the holier than thows on this board come back with you wouldn't steal a car, but when you talk about it here, it is just a meh subject.

Demonpenz
12-01-2009, 11:14 AM
The difference between this place and other venues is other venues have harder security than some pimple'd face gochiefs taking my ticket. Plus places like Royals games lets you take it bottled water and food.

Otter
12-01-2009, 11:24 AM
The last two movies to get me to go to theater were "Inglorious Bastards" and before that was "Dawn of the Dead" remake. I'm quiet sure I would have enjoyed them both much better at home.

Doubt I'll ever go again.

TrebMaxx
12-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Let me think, the last movie I actually went to at a theater was Saving Private Ryan in 1998. That was when I made the decision that the price for their service no longer made sense to me. I invested in a mid range surround sound system, which has been upgraded a few times since, and began watching all my movies at home. I can drink beer at home. I can eat whatever I want to. I can pause if needed or stop entirely and start watching again the next day. My recliner is so much more comfortable that the theater chairs. I don't have any dipshits talking around me or some big haired lady sit right in front of me.

Bugeater made a very valid point on the theaters problem is that it really is Hollywood and the middle men distribution companies greed. They can get my money when I buy the DVD\BluRay, which is still cheaper than taking the wife out to the movies.

Deberg_1990
12-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Yea, they are definitely in a 'damned if they do/dont' situation & i'd hate to see them go the way of the drive-in theater, because some movies just beg to be seen on a giant screen.

Whats amazing is, movie attendance is at an all time record this year.

Everyone likes to moan and groan, but we still go.

Otter
12-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Whats amazing is, movie attendance is at an all time record this year.

Everyone likes to moan and groan, but we still go.

I'm not sure where I read this and don't have the motivation to go verify but I'm pretty sure that movie theater attendance has always (relatively speaking) grown during downtrodden economic times.

Dayze
12-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I haven't been to a movie in 2+ years; and probably 3 before that.

I think the main issue is 95% of the movies that come out suck so badly, it's barely worth renting. I've had netflix since 2003 and never looked back.

NewChief
12-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Heh.

No more water bottles filled with wine (wife's parents always did this).

Deberg_1990
12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
I haven't been to a movie in 2+ years; and probably 3 before that.

I think the main issue is 95% of the movies that come out suck so badly, it's barely worth renting. I've had netflix since 2003 and never looked back.

Not sure how old you are but i would be willing to bet the majority of people who do the most movie spending are kids aged 16-25.

Younger kids have more disposable income. I know i used to go to the movies alot more when i was younger.

Reaper16
12-01-2009, 11:51 AM
They won't be able to stop shit. What are they going to do? Pat people down. No.

One time I snuck in a whole pint of black cherry ice cream from Maggie Moo's to go watch a 10:00pm screening of the Spongebob Squarepants movie. Remarkably, I was not stoned.

Dayze
12-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Not sure how old you are but i would be willing to bet the majority of people who do the most movie spending are kids aged 16-25.

Younger kids have more disposable income. I know i used to go to the movies alot more when i was younger.

true. I'm 32, so I can see you point.
I think 15 yrs ago when I was in HS a ticket was $4.50...
I can't remember what I paid 2 years ago...but I think it was just north of $9.

craziness.

Pablo
12-01-2009, 11:53 AM
When I go to the movies, I prep like a gameday. Get hammered. Puke-n-rally. Eat a hotdog. When it gets dark I piss myself/touch myself(whichever one's appropriate for the movie) and then I take my shirt off and fight somebody.

Anybody wanna go see 'Old Dogs' with me this weekend?

TinyEvel
12-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Last weekend I took my two kids to a movie.

1 adult, two kids tickets $36
1 small popcorn and small soda and two frozen yogurts: $24.

$61.

that hurt. Damn lucky it was a very good movie (Fantastic Mr. Fox) I would have hated to pay $61 to see some crap like Planet 51 or Beethoven 9.

SLAG
12-01-2009, 12:06 PM
I just think it is weird, all the people here talking about sneaking snacks in instead of paying for them, to me it is the equivalent of pirating a movie, instead of stealing from the big hollywood companies, you are stealing from the theater. However, when someone talks of pirating a movie, all the holier than thows on this board come back with you wouldn't steal a car, but when you talk about it here, it is just a meh subject.

I would download a movie and sneak snacks in

My Grandmother taughtme how to sneak snacks into the movie theaters

I would gladly play $30 for a movie ticket if included free popcorn/pop and a lifetime Digital download of the film

soundmind
12-01-2009, 12:10 PM

$61.

that hurt. Damn lucky it was a very good movie (Fantastic Mr. Fox) I would have hated to pay $61 to see some crap like Planet 51 or Beethoven 9.

I mean really, what about that price is "reasonable"?

Ridiculous. AND a lot of these theatres are no longer honoring student/senior discounts - which is just mind-boggling.

Those who pointed the finger at Hollywood are dead right. It's exactly like an Oil company saying that $4.1T isn't as much as they made last year, so they're upping the price of gasoline another dollar....then every gas station/company takes advantage and ups the price $1.50. Not to draw completely tangent lines there, but good christ, this is just another little grain of sand in what feels like the top half of the hour glass.

Here's to the top 1% of the country, you'll all be nobles with peasants soon.

NewChief
12-01-2009, 12:17 PM

$61.

Crazy. You could spend a day at a theme park or attend a concert or sporting event for that much money.

sedated
12-01-2009, 12:21 PM
if theaters are in trouble because of the recession, they need to come up with better resolutions than raising prices and being dicks to customers who don't spend enough money.

I don't see how this solution will do anything other than drive people further away from theaters.

Pablo
12-01-2009, 12:24 PM
OK, scratch the 'Old Dogs' viewing this weekend anyone who was interested.

I just found out The Trail is showing a double feature of Taxi/Fever Pitch.

penz, you down?

Demonpenz
12-01-2009, 12:28 PM
maybe, last time I was at the trail I took the kids to see Saw II

Pablo
12-01-2009, 12:31 PM
maybe, last time I was at the trail I took the kids to see Saw IIGood choice. It's a pretty uplifting movie. Probably make your young'ns want to grow up be mechanical engineers.

The last time I subbed for this 3rd grade class, I was supposed to show a movie.

I mean, if those asshole can't appreciate Christoper Walken and Robert DeNiro in 'The Deer Hunter', then how are they gonna ever learn to spell roulette?

Demonpenz
12-01-2009, 12:37 PM
i love The Deer Hunter. 3 movies deniro has been in has given me nightmares. Deer Hunter, Taxi driver, Cape fear.

Pablo
12-01-2009, 12:40 PM
i love The Deer Hunter. 3 movies deniro has been in has given me nightmares. Deer Hunter, Taxi driver, Cape fear.I made my room-mate watch 'The Deer Hunter' because he always picks out the most obvioulsy shit movies; 'Transformers', 'GI Joe', etc. and he hated it. Said it was one of the worst movies he's ever seen.

If it's any coincidence he saw the first Twilight movie as well.

Dayze
12-01-2009, 12:43 PM
I made my room-mate watch 'The Deer Hunter' because he always picks out the most obvioulsy shit movies; 'Transformers', 'GI Joe', etc. and he hated it. Said it was one of the worst movies he's ever seen.

the first night my wife and I had our new TV hooked up with HD, we were browsing all the channels on DTV.

we stumbled across Deer Hunter; it was only 3 or 4 minutes into the movie.
We watched the whole thing until about 2am; we shut off the TV...and just sat there for a second in silence. Finally she said "Dude.....that movie was Fd up"

(in a good way). Awesome movie.

ClevelandBronco
12-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I doubt that this will be a good decision for AMC, but they've probably done their homework.

It won't affect me. I don't see movies at the theater. I figure if I've gone my whole life so far without seeing a particular film, I can go my whole life so far plus six months.

NewChief
12-01-2009, 01:03 PM
I made my room-mate watch 'The Deer Hunter' because he always picks out the most obvioulsy shit movies; 'Transformers', 'GI Joe', etc. and he hated it. Said it was one of the worst movies he's ever seen.

You live with a 16 year old?

Slainte
12-01-2009, 01:06 PM
i love The Deer Hunter. 3 movies deniro has been in has given me nightmares. Deer Hunter, Taxi driver, Cape fear.

4, if you count Stanley & Iris...

Nzoner
12-01-2009, 01:20 PM

This is why Hollywood doesn't care what kind of shit they release anymore,they know that Joe Average Movie Fan is going to flock to the theatres to see it.

Personally,I'll stick with the Independent Film Channel and my own personal collection.

sedated
12-01-2009, 01:26 PM
This is why Hollywood doesn't care what kind of shit they release anymore,they know that Joe Average Movie Fan is going to flock to the theatres to see it.

male hearthrob + hot chick + explosions + lame jokes + relentless advertising = millions in profit.

Mr. Plow
12-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Our theater sucks bawls so I absolutely refuse to go to it. They charge out the ass and then every damn time I have to go there, they fuck up the movie midway through. So, if I want to see a movie, I wait until I'm in Wichita to see it. I spend about the same amount - probably a little less - and get a better theater.

Fire Me Boy!
12-01-2009, 01:41 PM
I think overall this is a bad move for AMC, but time will tell. Truth is, when I lived in KC and even Warrensburg, I would typically go out of my way to go to an AMC because of their food/drink policy. Generally, I'd buy a drink at the QT nearby and still buy popcorn at the theater. If I were still in KC, I'd now have no reason to seek out the AMC and would instead go to whichever theater was closest and offered the movie I wanted to see at the time I wanted to see it. AMC would lose my ticket purchase and my popcorn purchase over a $1 drink from down the road.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-01-2009, 01:47 PM

Righteous Kill gave me nightmares....

PhillyChiefFan
12-01-2009, 01:48 PM
A movie theater around here is smart, they have "Stimulus Tuesdays" where they charge $4.50/ticket and then you can buy a popcorn and soda for $1 a piece.

They are small but enough for one person. all in all my wife and I spent $11 at the theaters to see The Blind Side.

kcfanXIII
12-01-2009, 02:01 PM
are they gonna start showing clips about how bringing in your own food is costing the people who make the caney bars money?

Demonpenz
12-01-2009, 02:02 PM
A movie theater around here is smart, they have "Stimulus Tuesdays" where they charge $4.50/ticket and then you can buy a popcorn and soda for $1 a piece.

They are small but enough for one person. all in all my wife and I spent $11 at the theaters to see The Blind Side.

great movie btw bullock is great

Slainte
12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
great movie btw bullock is great

She has no medical degree, but I have heard that she will LEAVE YOU IN STITCHES!!!....

Inspector
12-01-2009, 02:33 PM
been to 1 movie in the last 10 years. couldn't even tell you what it was. i slept through most of it.
sec

I think my last trip to a movie theatre was to see "Back to the Future" when it first came out.

Being a cheapskate makes life simpler.

Buck
12-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Im pretty sure that 99% of the people who go to movies can intimidate the 16 year old kid enforcing the rule enough so that they just let it slide.

PunkinDrublic
12-01-2009, 02:52 PM
They need to start cracking down on the pieces of shit that can't turn off their goddamn cell phones for a couple of hours during the movie. I like going to matinee movies in the middle of the day when kids are in school and I have a day off from work.

ModSocks
12-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Wow, this is a new policy? I thought it's always been like that.

Either way, i was a manager at a movie theater for a few years, and though the concession prices suck, it really is the only way the theater makes money. If we can't sell popcorn then employees go home. When we did our paperwork at the end of the night, the money brought in by concessions was easily the most important. Hell, we didn't even care about box office sales. Nor did we set the ticket prices. So, if a customer was pissed, we would just give them free tickets.

The theory is, that even though the customer is getting free admission, he may come back and buy concessions on his next visit. which is much more important than the ticket sales.

And BTW, if you want free tickets at a Regal Theater, all you have to do is complain. About anything really. Bahmm! free tickets.

The way we use to see it at the theater, if we give you free tickets, it will shut you up and bring you back next weekend...and you'll spend more money at concessions.

RedThat
12-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Break that law. Fugg it. Who cares.

If those bastards wouldn't set such ridiculous prices for their foods then maybe people wouldn't bring food from outside.

GloryDayz
12-01-2009, 03:18 PM
We went the huge 53" Plasma route to fight-off this tyranny! My wife laughed when I told her that we could pay for the TV by skipping two years worth of movies/concession stand charges - but it sold her. YES!!!!

Bugeater
12-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Break that law. Fugg it. Who cares.

If those bastards wouldn't set such ridiculous prices for their foods then maybe just maybe people wouldn't bring food from outside?
That's a great point, people are more likely to buy shit if they're not getting bent over. If I go to a football or baseball game, there is no way in hell I'm paying $8 for a beer, so they make $0 off of me. If they would sell me a beer for $4, I'd probably buy several and they'd still make a handsome profit off of them. Now I don't have a business degree or anything, but I have to think that making SOME money is better than making NO money.

Easy 6
12-01-2009, 03:28 PM
That's a great point, people are more likely to buy shit if they're not getting bent over. If I go to a football or baseball game, there is no way in hell I'm paying $8 for a beer, so they make $0 off of me. If they would sell me a beer for $4, I'd probably buy several and they'd still make a handsome profit off of them. Now I don't have a business degree or anything, but I have to think that making SOME money is better than making NO money.

Yup.

BIG_DADDY
12-01-2009, 03:42 PM
heh..i never even realized they allowed you to do this....

Guess ill just continue to sneak it in the purse. :)

Just tell them it's a European shoulder bag.

BigMeatballDave
12-01-2009, 03:44 PM
When I take my son to a nearby theatre, we ALWAYS smuggle in candy. I'm not paying their ridiculous prices. 2 matinees, one large popcorn and a large drink, free refills on both, $20.

Pioli Zombie
12-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Brilliant business in a down economy. Drive away the customers on the fence who can't afford $20 to get their kids a snack and soda. Now they just won't go to the damn movie. And you are increasing revenue how? The people who could afford the expensive snacks were buying them anyway. Dipshits.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bearcat
12-01-2009, 03:55 PM

You can thank those who buy it at $8 for why it's set at that price. If you double the price and demand doesn't go down by more than 49%, you're making more off $8 beer than $4 beer, not even including the savings in the amount of beer you have to buy.

Everyone will complain, but most will still bend over and take it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
12-01-2009, 03:57 PM
You can thank those who buy it at $8 for why it's set at that price. If you double the price and demand doesn't go down by more than 49%, you're making more off $8 beer than $4 beer, not even including the savings in the amount of beer you have to buy.

Posted via Mobile Device

No doubt if there are people out there who will pay $8 for a beer, they will also pay $10 for it as well.....and so on and so on........

Look at the Cowboys new Stadium "JerryWorld" where Pizza's are $80.

ModSocks
12-01-2009, 05:19 PM

BUT....there will always be people who pay the price at concessions for the overall movie experience. Those people will allow the theater to keep the prices high.

If your on a first date with some hot chick, are you seriously going to go downstairs to CVS and buy some candy, then sneak it in her purse? Or are you going to be smooth, walk over to the concession stand and pay for what she wants and look like a "big balla" ? I don't think you'd want to look like a cheap bastard on your date.

My point is, people will pay it. They are paying it. And when people stop paying for it, Theaters will go out of business.

It's not the theater. It's Hollywood. The Theater has to pay so much freaking money just to show the movie. And, the larger the theater, the larger the staff. Our smallish 14 screen theater employed over 30 people a day. Take all of there minimum wages (like 8 bucks out here in cali) x there shifts of 4-8 hrs, plus the cost of rent in a shopping mall, plus all of your operating expenses, and then you'll find that those high concession prices hardly even turn a profit.

I could be wrong, but IIRC, only about 2% of ticket sales actually go to the theater. The rest goes to Hollywood. Regal, as a chain, even after buying out most of the theaters that were going bankrupt, was still struggling. At least when i left.

Our competitor, Pacific theaters, was trying to get bought out by us, because they could not turn a profit.

There is no money in that business thanks to Hollywood. If people want the movie theater experience, then they will need to deal with these high prices. The Theaters have no other choice really.

Deberg_1990
12-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I could be wrong, but IIRC, only about 2% of ticket sales actually go to the theater. The rest goes to Hollywood. Regal, as a chain, even after buying out most of the theaters that were going bankrupt, was still struggling. At least when i left.

Our competitor, Pacific theaters, was trying to get bought out by us, because they could not turn a profit.

There is no money in that business thanks to Hollywood. If people want the movie theater experience, then they will need to deal with these high prices. The Theaters have no other choice really.

Hollywood is getting greedier and greedier. This 3D and IMAX theater trend is a huge cash cow. They can charge higher ticket prices.

wild1
12-01-2009, 05:32 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Most people believe they need beer to enjoy a football game, just like they believe they need 32 ounces of soda and a pound of buttered popcorn and a whole box of candy to enjoy a movie. (and free refills, please)

Micjones
12-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Stop charging $3.25 for a box of damn Raisinettes & i'll stop smuggling snacks.

*And the thread ends*

Micjones
12-01-2009, 05:40 PM
This is why more people are taking to movie-going during the week.
It's much cheaper, you avoid the heavier crowds, and can often get in and purchase 1 item off of the concessions' menu for what would normally only be a ticket.

memyselfI
12-01-2009, 05:53 PM
I actually hate going to movies. I don't find it a pleasant experience sitting on seats where who knows what have sat before me. I don't like having to pee during the movie. I don't like paying high ticket prices for movies which I usually find a waste of time. I especially do not like paying high prices for concessions. I sneak in candy but will buy a drink or popcorn.

I just see no reason spending $40+ at the movies for two people when we can rent the movie, order pizza, pick up a 12 pack, and eat all the candy or popcorn we want for about half the price.

The movie theaters get away with doing the crap they do because they thrive in areas like KC where there is little else to do on a regular basis. Eat, shop, the movies. Those are the givens.

BIG_DADDY
12-01-2009, 05:57 PM
I actually hate going to movies. I don't find it a pleasant experience sitting on seats where who knows what have sat before me. I don't like having to pee during the movie. I don't like paying high ticket prices for movies which I usually find a waste of time. I especially do not like paying high prices for concessions and sneak in candy but will buy a drink or popcorn.

I just see no reason spending $40 at the movies for two people when we can rent the movie, order pizza, pick up a 12 pack, and eat all the candy or popcorn we want for about half the price.

The movie theaters get away with doing the crap they do because they thrive in areas like KC where there is little else to do on a regular basis. Eat, shop, the movies. Those are the givens.

The exception being something that really needs to be seen on the big screen like Jurrasic Park as an example.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-01-2009, 06:01 PM
I wonder why Redbox is so popular??

When facing a tough economy and social/technological obsolescence, the best thing you can do for your corporation is to irritate your remaining customer base even further, yes.

BigMeatballDave
12-01-2009, 06:05 PM
I just see no reason spending $40+ at the movies for two people
:eek: This is why I only go to matinees

memyselfI
12-01-2009, 06:09 PM
:eek: This is why I only go to matinees

I know, right.

It's like coloring my hair. Spend $10 on a box 12 times a year or $100 on one color job which will need to be redone in 8 weeks seven-ten times a year.

I know it's not the same but I don't like 'the experience' of being at the salon either. And I don't find the outcome that rewarding to justify the difference.

RippedmyFlesh
12-01-2009, 06:14 PM

11 years ago I was in yankee stadium and a guy in front of me asks the vendor for 3 beers...he takes out a 20..uneasy silence for a second..then me "your beer project needs more funding" him "o" as he rifles through his pockets..imagine $8 11 years ago?

Bugeater
12-01-2009, 06:15 PM
BUT....there will always be people who pay the price at concessions for the overall movie experience. Those people will allow the theater to keep the prices high.

If your on a first date with some hot chick, are you seriously going to go downstairs to CVS and buy some candy, then sneak it in her purse? Or are you going to be smooth, walk over to the concession stand and pay for what she wants and look like a "big balla" ? I don't think you'd want to look like a cheap bastard on your date.

My point is, people will pay it. They are paying it. And when people stop paying for it, Theaters will go out of business.

It's not the theater. It's Hollywood. The Theater has to pay so much freaking money just to show the movie. And, the larger the theater, the larger the staff. Our smallish 14 screen theater employed over 30 people a day. Take all of there minimum wages (like 8 bucks out here in cali) x there shifts of 4-8 hrs, plus the cost of rent in a shopping mall, plus all of your operating expenses, and then you'll find that those high concession prices hardly even turn a profit.

A lot of fair points there, even though the guy on the date isn't really the demographic that the theaters are losing, it's the families. And I can't help but wonder, if the theater business is so tough, how is it every time I turn around there's another 20 screen supermegaplex going up somewhere?

RippedmyFlesh
12-01-2009, 06:23 PM
A lot of fair points there, even though the guy on the date isn't really the demographic that the theaters are losing, it's the families. And I can't help but wonder, if the theater business is so tough, how is it every time I turn around there's another 20 screen supermegaplex going up somewhere?
Because young people will always go to the hot movies ..stand in line for hours to see it the 1st run..that is pretty much depression proof

Deberg_1990
12-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Because young people will always go to the hot movies ..stand in line for hours to see it the 1st run..that is pretty much depression proof

This. I mentioned it in an earlier post. Id guess 80% of moviegoers are 16-25.

Groves
12-01-2009, 06:25 PM
They'll go the way of the public pay phone.

Is the AMC headquarters in Cleveland?

Sully
12-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Their popcorn is like crack to me. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to see a shitty movie just for the popcorn.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-01-2009, 06:38 PM
the thing is, they don't care if the theater is half full, if they sell one more drink, that's the important thing. They make little to NO money off tickets.

Bugeater
12-01-2009, 06:49 PM
the thing is, they don't care if the theater is half full, if they sell one more drink, that's the important thing. They make little to NO money off tickets.
I keep hearing that, but it doesn't make any sense. If they only are getting 2% of the ticket sales, what's stopping them for only charging $1 for a ticket so people have more money to spend on concessions? Are the movie distributors setting the ticket prices? And if so, why does the price vary from theater to theater?

Bugeater
12-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Well then which is it, is the theater business booming, or is it struggling. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information here.

KCChiefsMan
12-01-2009, 07:05 PM
I haven't gone to the movies in about 2 years. I like getting my movies in the mail from netflix and watching them when I feel like it. I don't spend $25 for a ticket, snack and drink and I don't have to sit through 30 minutes of ads first. I am fine with waiting for DVD.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-01-2009, 07:07 PM
I keep hearing that, but it doesn't make any sense. If they only are getting 2% of the ticket sales, what's stopping them for only charging $1 for a ticket so people have more money to spend on concessions? Are the movie distributors setting the ticket prices? And if so, why does the price vary from theater to theater?

because they still have to pay out that $9-10 per ticket sold

Over-Head
12-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Bahhhhhh,
next there gonna tell ya you can't smoke joint in the back row balcony seats too! :mad:

Bugeater
12-01-2009, 07:10 PM
because they still have to pay out that $9-10 per ticket sold
So the distributor sets a specific $ amount they want to receive for each ticket sold?

mikeyis4dcats.
12-01-2009, 07:16 PM
So the distributor sets a specific $ amount they want to receive for each ticket sold?

yes, a percentage that varies by movie and even week. here's a pretty good explanation

http://www.themovieblog.com/2007/10/economics-of-the-movie-theater-where-the-money-goes-and-why-it-costs-us-so-much

Bugeater
12-01-2009, 07:27 PM
yes, a percentage that varies by movie and even week. here's a pretty good explanation

http://www.themovieblog.com/2007/10/economics-of-the-movie-theater-where-the-money-goes-and-why-it-costs-us-so-much
Ah, I see now that the answer isn't a simple one, thanks for posting that. It's not at all unlike the out of control salaries and costs involved in sports, everyone just keeps wanting a bigger piece of the pie.

Deberg_1990
12-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Where is Dane to help settle this when we need him?
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeyis4dcats.
12-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Ah, I see now that the answer isn't a simple one, thanks for posting that. It's not at all unlike the out of control salaries and costs involved in sports, everyone just keeps wanting a bigger piece of the pie.

Just imagine the heating and cooling costs for a 30 screen megaplex with 30 foot ceilings.

Imagine the maintenance and upkeep on thousands of upholstered seats.

With the way the public and teens especially treat things, repairs have to be high.

12-01-2009, 07:45 PM
That has always been the rule at the Topeka theaters. I refuse to purchase anything other than the ticket and I generally only go to 2-3 movies per year because of the ticket price where it currently is. They have lost a ton of money to consumers like myself.

It baffles me how many people just grin and bear it rather than take a stand and not go.

Groves
12-01-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't have to sit through 30 minutes of ads first.

DVDs are closing the gap here.

All of the previews, tributes to the studio for X decades of great movies, anti-piracy spiels, and whatever else they throw at you before you can watch the feature.

Then some of us went all FF1, FF2, or FF3 on em, which helped, but now they remove those abilities, too.

You know they flash the not allowed symbol, declaring in a 30 pixel square, "we won't let you skip this or fast forward, and we can do this because we encoded the disc and you didn't."

It's like I need a TIVO just to watch a DVD anymore.

BWillie
12-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Go to a Saturday Matinee. Wear a huge coat. Smuggle two - four coke bottles spiked w/ rum. Sit through 3 straight movies before leaving. Take a big shit on the floor in the bathroom. Leave.

BWillie007 - 1
AMC - 0

mikeyis4dcats.
12-01-2009, 07:57 PM
That has always been the rule at the Topeka theaters. I refuse to purchase anything other than the ticket and I generally only go to 2-3 movies per year because of the ticket price where it currently is. They have lost a ton of money to consumers like myself.

It baffles me how many people just grin and bear it rather than take a stand and not go.

I enjoy the big screen experience, especially with certain movies. We used to see 3 to 4 movies a month, but have slowed over the past 2 years to about 2 a month.

Bugeater
12-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Just imagine the heating and cooling costs for a 30 screen megaplex with 30 foot ceilings.

Imagine the maintenance and upkeep on thousands of upholstered seats.

With the way the public and teens especially treat things, repairs have to be high.
Which brings me back to an earlier point, they wouldn't keep building the places if they weren't profitable.

Sure-Oz
12-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I snuck in wendys saturday when i saw 'the blind side'

i think ive gone in before and had fazolis in my hand and they never said anything

Dottefan
12-01-2009, 08:32 PM

THIS

Spott
12-01-2009, 08:39 PM
I always thought that you weren't allowed to bring it in which is why I've always snuck in my own stuff. If they don't want people to sneak in food, then they shouldn't charge 5 bucks for a candy bar.

LaChapelle
12-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Mangino might have some extra time on his hands

12-01-2009, 09:40 PM
I enjoy the big screen experience, especially with certain movies. We used to see 3 to 4 movies a month, but have slowed over the past 2 years to about 2 a month.I enjoy it as well. But at these prices, it's just not worth it to me. Like other said, it is cheaper just to wait for it to come out on DVD and buy it. At least then you have something to show for your money and you get to watch it in the comfort of your own home without any dipshits interrupting you with their cell phones and talking.

I really don't like our new theaters here either.

Pioli Zombie
12-01-2009, 10:09 PM
No doubt if there are people out there who will pay $8 for a beer, they will also pay $10 for it as well.....and so on and so on........

Look at the Cowboys new Stadium "JerryWorld" where Pizza's are $80.
$80 for a pizza? Is a blow job by one of cheerleaders included?
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc
12-01-2009, 10:15 PM
I'll go to movies when there are movies worth going to see. I'm greatly looking forward to seeing both Avatar and Up in the Air in the next few weeks. I'm not sure if they still do it, but AMC had a deal running for a long time where every showing on a weekday, monday to thursday was $5.

edit: just checked online, looks like they still do.

Sure-Oz
12-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Probably a hand job using the pizza as a glove

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm sure the menu prices at the Gillette suites are no more damaging than a trip to the Dollar Store.:rolleyes:

dtebbe
12-02-2009, 07:47 AM
When we were in HS we used to sneak bottled beers in and then let them roll down the floor when we were finished. Whoever could get their bottle to roll all the way down and hit the front of the stage "won".

I want to say we used to do this at the "Missouri" theater in downtown Columbia, but I'm not sure that was the name of it. It was the one that showed Monty Python & stuff. This was WAY before the Columbia Mall FWIW..

Good times...

DT

suds79
12-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Yeah they can change whatever policy they want.

I'm not going to spend 14 bucks for two drinks and a large popcorn for my wife and I.

That's just highway robbery.

wild1
12-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Imagine munching down three Quarter Pounders topped with 12 pats of butter while watching a movie at the theater. According to the Center for Science in the Public Interest, that burger meal is the nutritional equivalent of snacking on a medium-sized popcorn and medium soda at Regal Entertainment, the nation’s largest movie chain. It found that Regal popcorn contains 1,200 calories and 60 grams of saturated fat.

AMC’s medium popcorn did better, partly because of its smaller size (9 cups versus 20 at Regal). According to the study, AMC’s medium popcorn contained 590 calories and 33 grams of saturated fat. AMC’s large popcorn has 1,030 calories and 57 grams of saturated fat. “That’s like eating a pound of baby back ribs topped with a scoop of Haagen-Dazs ice cream — except that the popcorn has an additional day’s worth of saturated fat,” the study said.

http://www.kansascity.com/746/story/1605646.html

mikeyis4dcats.
12-02-2009, 11:30 AM

jesus fucking christ!

Sure-Oz
12-02-2009, 11:52 AM

i heard that years ago...its nuts

kindra68
12-02-2009, 12:23 PM
I got my son tickets for Avatar (in 3D) for his birthday.
2 tickets and two pairs of 3D glasses $23.00 I guess I’ll throw in a 20 for popcorn and a soda.

Silock
12-02-2009, 12:26 PM

Sat fat from coconut oil is incredibly healthy, and actually BURNS fat. Of course, that's largely irrelevant if you're taking in too many calories, but the sat fat itself isn't bad.

Sure-Oz
12-02-2009, 12:54 PM
I got my son tickets for Avatar (in 3D) for his birthday.
2 tickets and two pairs of 3D glasses $23.00 I guess I’ll throw in a 20 for popcorn and a soda.

or you could stuff snacks in your purse and have him wear a heavy coat for bottles in the pocket. they wont check

ClevelandBronco
12-02-2009, 01:04 PM
“That’s like eating a pound of baby back ribs topped with a scoop of Haagen-Dazs ice cream — except that the popcorn has an additional day’s worth of saturated fat,” the study said.

I'd consider going to the theater if I could get a lb. of ribs and a scoop of Haagen-Dazs.

I wonder what they'd charge for that.

kindra68
12-02-2009, 02:39 PM
or you could stuff snacks in your purse and have him wear a heavy coat for bottles in the pocket. they wont check
Just because I can make him sit through Chiefs games doesn’t mean he can make me sit through a movie about 10 foot tall blue things with tails.
I love my ManChild, but we all have to draw a line somewhere.

Besides, he would probley like a hot 17 year old as his “date” and not his “omg! stop yelling about the price of popcorn and just BUY it, already” mother with him. haha

Sure-Oz
12-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Just because I can make him sit through Chiefs games doesn’t mean he can make me sit through a movie about 10 foot tall blue things with tails.
I love my ManChild, but we all have to draw a line somewhere.

Besides, he would probley like a hot 17 year old as his “date” and not his “omg! stop yelling about the price of popcorn and just BUY it, already” mother with him. haha

lol, i assumed your son was younger, that is nice of you regardless.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Until they let me smoke, drink, and masturbate to teh Hollywood starlets again; I'm not coming back.

Fuck YOU, AMC.

KCChiefsMan
12-03-2009, 12:59 AM
DVDs are closing the gap here.

All of the previews, tributes to the studio for X decades of great movies, anti-piracy spiels, and whatever else they throw at you before you can watch the feature.

Then some of us went all FF1, FF2, or FF3 on em, which helped, but now they remove those abilities, too.

You know they flash the not allowed symbol, declaring in a 30 pixel square, "we won't let you skip this or fast forward, and we can do this because we encoded the disc and you didn't."

It's like I need a TIVO just to watch a DVD anymore.

I get that on some movies, but most of the time I don't. I hate having to see that FBI warning though for what seems to be 5 minutes.

12-03-2009, 01:06 AM
I get that on some movies, but most of the time I don't. I hate having to see that FBI warning though for what seems to be 5 minutes.Hence why I make copies of all of our kids movies so they can just pop it in and watch the movie. I've had it with their damned unskippable previews and crap!!! Hate animated and interactive menus as well

Keeps my originals in mint condition though.

L.A. Chieffan
12-03-2009, 01:11 AM
how come they dont sell alcohol at the theater. going to the movies would be so much better. ( yes i know about the arclight)

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-03-2009, 01:54 AM
how come they dont sell alcohol at the theater. going to the movies would be so much better. ( yes i know about the arclight)

It would be CHAOS; COMPLETE CHAOS!

Mr. Flopnuts
12-03-2009, 03:05 AM
It's been soooooooo long since I've been in a movie theater. Let's put it this way, I've never paid more than $7.50 to see a flick. You've all listed the reasons, so I won't repeat them. Fuck movie theaters.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Until they let me smoke, drink, and masturbate to teh Hollywood starlets again; I'm not coming back.

Fuck YOU, AMC.

This, this, .....what? And this.

veist
12-03-2009, 03:16 AM
I dunno if they still do but this summer there was one day a week that AMC gave out a free small popcorn coupon with your ticket if you have one of their moviewatcher cards. And the coupon was "or pay the difference for a larger popcorn" which made it like $2 to get the large with free refills. Which made it a lot less ridiculous to get popcorn.

Then we have an old non-stadium style seating Regal theater that runs $5.50 Sunday/Wednesday tickets.

Oh and then there is the retarded http://www.goldclasscinemas.com/ ... something like $22 for a ticket gets you a seat that is a big ass recliner and they serve food and booze but your ticket doesn't include anything but the movie and valet parking (WTF). I assume their target audience is silly rich people with more money than they know what to do with.

chasedude
12-03-2009, 03:48 AM
Multi-Million dollar contracts for shitty actors doesn't help with ticket prices either. I know there are other production costs that go along with that too, but all these costs are ridiculous.

The last movie I saw in the theater was Spider-Man 3 and walked out on it. When I found out the production costs for the movie were over 500 million, my mouth dropped. If I spent that much money on such a horrible production, I'd be wrapping my mouth around some cold steel and pulling the trigger from the shame.

DVD rentals and Netflix are it for me anymore. If I don't like the movie I didn't feel like I got bent over and dry humped for a small fortune.

Plus one thing I get at home that I can't get at the theater, alcohol!

Param
12-03-2009, 04:00 AM
Multi-Million dollar contracts for shitty actors doesn't help with ticket prices either. I know there are other production costs that go along with that too, but all these costs are ridiculous.

The last movie I saw in the theater was Spider-Man 3 and walked out on it. When I found out the production costs for the movie were over 500 million, my mouth dropped. If I spent that much money on such a horrible production, I'd be wrapping my mouth around some cold steel and pulling the trigger from the shame.

DVD rentals and Netflix are it for me anymore. If I don't like the movie I didn't feel like I got bent over and dry humped for a small fortune.

Plus one thing I get at home that I can't get at the theater, alcohol!

Best thing about watching at home on my giant 1080p tv. There's no annoying people laughing throughout the movie. There's no people chatting on their phones. I can eat and drink whatever I want. I can pause the movie if I have to run to the bathroom. It's on my time and there are no annoying pricks ruining it for me.

chasedude
12-03-2009, 04:10 AM
Best thing about watching at home on my giant 1080p tv. There's no annoying people laughing throughout the movie. There's no people chatting on their phones. I can eat and drink whatever I want. I can pause the movie if I have to run to the bathroom. It's on my time and there are no annoying pricks ruining it for me.

:clap: More great points on home viewing vs. theater screwing!

Inspector
12-03-2009, 07:17 AM

So, they either run people off with their prices or kill them.