PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs secondary has been exposed with big plays

Tribal Warfare
12-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Chiefs secondary has been exposed with big plays (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1605764.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Win or lose, the Chiefs have a problem that doesn’t seem to be going away. They know their defense has a hard time stopping big plays, and the bigger problem is that other teams have begun to notice, too.

And unless the Chiefs get it under control, opponents might spend the next five weeks picking on their increasingly worrisome secondary.

“We will get beat,” coach Todd Haley said this week, a day after San Diego ripped through the Chiefs defense in a 43-14 win.

The Chargers appeared to shape their offensive game plan with the notion of attacking the secondary in mind, and it worked — and kept working against a defense that has tried many options but can’t seem to get past its overmatched personnel and persistent injuries.

Before the Chiefs get to those final five contests in a season that seems as much about education as anything, they have at least learned that perhaps their top offseason need lies at safety.

Once thought to be one of the team’s few strengths entering 2009, that notion changed when strong safety Bernard Pollard was released because of attitude issues, free safety Jarrad Page was placed on injured reserve after a severe calf injury, second-year safety Maurice Leggett also suffered a season-ending injury, and veteran Mike Brown struggled to adapt to an increased role as the starting strong safety.

Now, the Chiefs have what they have, and the Chargers made it clear this past Sunday that the secret is out on Kansas City’s defensive deficiency.

“The big play was a killer for us,” Haley said. “Again.”

The Chiefs’ two previous opponents, Oakland and Pittsburgh, also were successful at long gains, but Kansas City survived those games by holding the Raiders and Steelers to intermediate yardage and limiting the huge holes that Haley’s staff has sunk so much time into repairing.

On Sunday, though, San Diego ran 63 offensive plays, and 10 went for gains of at least 15 yards. Three of those went for at least 20, including a 53-yard pass that Philip Rivers telegraphed to Malcom Floyd. That was the kill shot in a three-play drive that made it look easy to score.

Combined with Kansas City’s own mistakes — it committed four turnovers and looked hapless as San Diego added to what became a huge lead — the Chiefs didn’t seem to have a chance.

“On each and every one of those,” Haley said, “it was pretty clear to me in watching the tape that they were preventable with better technique, better understanding of what was going on.”

The other thing that has held back the Chiefs this season is an overall lack of speed on defense. Kansas City is one of the NFL’s slowest teams, and the team understands that the Chiefs aren’t likely to return to relevance until that fact is addressed. The team could pursue a free-agent safety during the offseason or wait and try its hand at one of the elite safeties, Tennessee’s Eric Berry or Southern California’s Taylor Mays, in April’s draft.

In the meantime, the Chiefs are stuck with what they have. And it’s not as if they haven’t spent this season looking for solutions. They haven’t yet discovered a long-term fix, and it has become clear that, until they do, teams will continue targeting the widening hole in Kansas City’s defense.

“The No. 1 thing is,” Haley said, “we cannot allow big plays. We cannot have that happen.”

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Eric Berry will solve that problem.

Cosmos
12-02-2009, 12:53 AM
No pass rush whatsoever..... duh.

chiefs1111
12-02-2009, 01:02 AM
well having safeties who suck ass combined with no pass rush= big fucking fail.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2009, 01:35 AM
So let's start at the Safety position with the best impact player available and go from there.

HemiEd
12-02-2009, 02:30 AM
Well shit. Now Denver is going to know, fuck. I can't believe Babb would expose the Chiefs secret like this.

Does this mean that Todd Haley may be aware that his "favorite player of all time" is the biggest weakness on the team?

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-02-2009, 04:04 AM
Well shit. Now Denver is going to know, fuck. I can't believe Babb would expose the Chiefs secret like this.

Does this mean that Todd Haley may be aware that his "favorite player of all time" is the biggest weakness on the team?

And who the fuck might that be? And If you say Brown, I'm calling disinformation campaign that VERY MUCH includes Weis, because there is no fucking way in Hell that Todd Haley could be that fucking blind, dense, and stupid.

Crush
12-02-2009, 04:34 AM
Mike Brown sucks? No shit, Sherlock.

angelo
12-02-2009, 06:02 AM
When one talks of the secondary. I was always under the impression that it included safeties and cornerbacks. In watching all the the games this year sometimes twice (what can I say I am somewhat a Masochist) the play of the cornerbacks has been good. As with last year it looks as if the cornerbacks are trying to make up for the weaknesses of the safeties. Yet this article only mentions safeties. It seems like most of the big plays come from the middle of the field where the safeties and linebackers play.

I ask the learned minds of chiefs planet what say you about our cornerbacks.

Ang

BigMeatballDave
12-02-2009, 06:40 AM
Stupid. Yes, lets blame the secondary even tho the front 7 can't get pressure for shit.

HonestChieffan
12-02-2009, 07:05 AM
I hate when big media gives up superdupertop secret info.

Red Beans
12-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Look at Brown and McGraw. What do they have in common? They're ssssslllllooooooowwwwww. Not bad against the run, filling the holes but a liability against the pass.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-02-2009, 07:34 AM
I miss Pollard.

dtebbe
12-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Look at Brown and McGraw. What do they have in common? They're ssssslllllooooooowwwwww. Not bad against the run, filling the holes but a liability against the pass.

At least McGraw is usually where he is supposed to be, and wraps up when he tackles.

That alone makes him better than Pollard.

DT

RedThat
12-02-2009, 08:16 AM
well having safeties who suck ass combined with no pass rush= big ****ing fail.

This. Also, I believe another big reason is our linebackers. Our linebackers not only suck at rushing the passer, but are also horrible in pass coverage.

RedThat
12-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Stupid. Yes, lets blame the secondary even tho the front 7 can't get pressure for shit.

The whole unit is to blame. No question about it.

Chiefnj2
12-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Why don't they play more man-to-man rather than zone?

OnTheWarpath15
12-02-2009, 08:32 AM

2009 Passing Yardage Allowed: 258.4
2009 Sacks: 14

2008 Passing Yardage Allowed: 234.2
2008 Sacks: 10

So this year's secondary is allowing 24 more passing yards than last year, with a pass rush that had eclipsed the 200 sack total halfway through this season.

The CB's haven't changed, but the safeties have.

This isn't a coincidence.

Chiefnj2
12-02-2009, 08:49 AM
2009 Passing Yardage Allowed: 258.4
2009 Sacks: 14

2008 Passing Yardage Allowed: 234.2
2008 Sacks: 10

So this year's secondary is allowing 24 more passing yards than last year, with a pass rush that had eclipsed the 200 sack total halfway through this season.

The CB's haven't changed, but the safeties have.

This isn't a coincidence.

Did the scheme change?

Agent V
12-02-2009, 09:03 AM
I miss Pollard.

Yeah, he had an AWESOME hit on a Colts receiver. Man, you should have seen it. The guy caught the ball, ran past the first down, THEN got lit the fuck up. Signature Pollard, I mean, he came out of nowhere. It was like he wasn't on the field at all, then BAM!

milkman
12-02-2009, 10:25 AM

That 53 yard pass TD was on the safties.

Even were the Chiefs able to generate pressure, that play developed too quickly to allow the front 7 to get to Rivers.

milkman
12-02-2009, 10:29 AM
I miss Pollard.

Pollard would be every bit as effective in deep help pass coverage as Mik Brown is.

It's about speed, something both Brown and Pollard lack.

Mr. Laz
12-02-2009, 10:59 AM
a secondary that is slow and a front 7 without a natural pass rush gets exposed against a team like San Diego. It would against the Faiders to if their WR's could catch and Russell wasn't such a dumbass.

Dark Horse
12-02-2009, 12:43 PM
If we were to draft Berry, how about Paige to Strong side personaly I think he could develop into a very good SS

DrRyan
12-02-2009, 01:48 PM
I'll take playmaking safetys for 5years/$40-50 million please Alex.

Direckshun
12-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Our safeties for next year's season:

Berry, Morgan start. McGraw and Page backup.

How is that not a vast improvement?

Pablo
12-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I ask the learned minds of chiefs planet what say you about our cornerbacks.

AngThey are the strength of our defense. They are the one area I feel comfortable with.

Reaper16
12-02-2009, 01:54 PM
FootballOutsiders was breaking down the Chiefs/CHargers game over Twitter last night and couldn't believe how bad Brown and McGraw played.

RedThat
12-02-2009, 02:58 PM
If we were to draft Berry, how about Paige to Strong side personaly I think he could develop into a very good SS

Nah..Id rather have a sure tackler at this position.

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2009, 03:18 PM
FootballOutsiders was breaking down the Chiefs/CHargers game over Twitter last night and couldn't believe how bad Brown and McGraw played.

They should try watching every game like we do.

Mr. Laz
12-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Our safeties for next year's season:

Berry, Morgan start. McGraw and Page backup.

How is that not a vast improvement?
it would except for the fact that morgan sucks so bad that he can't beat out 38 year old Mike Brown or career special teamer McGraw for playing time.

Chiefnj2
12-02-2009, 03:59 PM
it would except for the fact that morgan sucks so bad that he can't beat out 38 year old Mike Brown or career special teamer McGraw for playing time.

A lot of people have hope in the second and third string. Why, I have no idea.

T-post Tom
12-02-2009, 04:08 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_c3v0yIrAxb8/SQJVYzqvDUI/AAAAAAAAAnU/pbYMB3-ILL0/s400/Eric+Berry14.jpg

http://antonazucar.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/taylormayshit.jpg

HemiEd
12-02-2009, 05:01 PM
It is Pioli's fault for not signing Polamalu this off season.

LiL stumppy
12-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Eric Berry will solve that problem.

one player will not solve that problem

Reerun_KC
12-02-2009, 05:20 PM
It is Pioli's fault for not signing Polamalu this off season.

Time for Haley and Pioli to be

http://www.pulpit-pimps.org/images/general-images/Burning-at-the-stake.jpg

Reerun_KC
12-02-2009, 05:22 PM
one player will not solve that problem

Then your not a true fan according to Carl.

milkman
12-02-2009, 06:04 PM

Yeah, and Allen Allenman and Wade Smith suck so bad that they couldn't/can't beat out Mike Goff and Rudy Niswager.

Ever hear of sacred cows?

OnTheWarpath15
12-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah, and Allen Allenman and Wade Smith suck so bad that they couldn't/can't beat out Mike Goff and Rudy Niswager.

Ever hear of sacred cows?

Haley's "favorite player of all time" says, "moo".

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-03-2009, 12:33 AM
They should try watching every game like we do.

LMAO

Word.