PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Breckinridge Skiing Help Needed

chief husker
12-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Anyone ski at Breck before? Best runs? Best peak? I ski blues and blue/blacks. Bars in town that have good food? I'm generally there with family and have to eat Bubba Gumps:shake:

NewChief
12-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Peak 7 and Peak 9. It's been a while since I've been there, though. Some cool blue/blacks with tree runs on Peak 9. If I remember right, Peak 7 is cool because it's off the beaten path. Takes a while to get back there, but you can get away from the crowds a bit there.

Chief Henry
12-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Bubba Gumps was good two years ago.

We've always gone to "ERICS Down Under". The food is always good, beer is cold and the pizza was great. Its a hectic, busy sports bar. You'll plan on waiting a miniumum of 45 minutes to get in. The kids can play on the dozen or so video arcade games if they wish. I would not take very young kids to this place because of the wait.

We've been to Breck about 5 times in the lat 10 years. Its a very nice area with
the down town area looking just like a ginger bread village with all the nice Christmas lights.

Our family usually stays on the easy greens and blues. Luckily they are marked well
for you to read. Just get a ski map and you'll do fine.

Another good pizza place was called "Fatty J's" I think...it was about a block east of the main strip close to the movie theatre if i recall.

All the food and restraunts in Breckenridge are good. Of course it might be because I've always been in a festive mood and I like just about anything when I'm on vacation ! Bring some plastic with you - that area is NOT cheap by any means.

Dartgod
12-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Bring your ganja.

Chief Henry
12-02-2009, 09:19 AM
One of the cool shopping places in downtown Breck was a store that sold all sorts of funny hats. Its on the west side of the street about 2-3 blocks south of ERICS Down Under. This hat place must have hundreds of funny looking hats. Bring along a digital camera and snap some pics of your family trying on some of these funny looking hats. They've got pimp hats to hats that look like vikings. Its a fun place to take the family to let them show some expressions !!!

I think there is a pub next to the hat place that has pool tables. That place has TV's and cold drafts. It was in that place that I saw Billy Mays doing an infomercial on
snow boards !!!!

CoMoChief
12-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Stop being a pussy and go to A-Basin

chief husker
12-02-2009, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=NewPhin;6310361]Peak 7 and Peak 9. It's been a while since I've been there, though. Some cool blue/blacks with tree runs on Peak 9. If I remember right, Peak 7 is cool because it's off the beaten path. Takes a while to get back there, but you can get away from the crowds a bit there.[/QUOT

Very nice. We are staying by Peak 7, good to hear. Thanks for the help everyone. Eric's sounds good. And Space Cowboy.

Iowanian
12-02-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm sure you're going to have a nice time and it's easy enough to get advice from the workers or others on the lift rides about the best runs.

I much prefer Copper Mtn, Keystone and MaryJane to Breckenridge. MaryJane had some tough runs but they were long, challenging and fun. My favorite area is probably the Outback at Keystone and the night skiing there is fun.

Also, if you're at Breck and the snow gets a little icy, and your sister is worn out, don't let her get out of control. the Pakistani she whallops at 50mph is going to cry about his ski poles being bent, the sled ride will be embarrassing for her, and they'll use a $400 tube of dermabond that will do the same thing as a $4 tube of crazy glue to close her gaping head wound.

have a good trip CH.

stevieray
12-02-2009, 10:08 AM
I hate you.

BigChiefFan
12-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Peachtree run. :D

NewChief
12-02-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm sure you're going to have a nice time and it's easy enough to get advice from the workers or others on the lift rides about the best runs.

I much prefer Copper Mtn, Keystone and MaryJane to Breckenridge. MaryJane had some tough runs but they were long, challenging and fun. My favorite area is probably the Outback at Keystone and the night skiing there is fun.

Also, if you're at Breck and the snow gets a little icy, and your sister is worn out, don't let her get out of control. the Pakistani she whallops at 50mph is going to cry about his ski poles being bent, the sled ride will be embarrassing for her, and they'll use a $400 tube of dermabond that will do the same thing as a $4 tube of crazy glue to close her gaping head wound.

have a good trip CH.

Second the Outback. We always had season passes to Winter Park when we lived out there, so I know MJ well. Too many moguls for my taste (I snowboard), but there's some nice tree runs, too.

chief husker
12-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Free condo at Breck with ski in/out. :clap:I haven't been there for years. Didn't like the long lines and such. Usually I ski the Jane or Keystone with a day of Vail included in the three day pass. Figure I will give Breck another shot since I'm right there. I'm hoping the back bowls at Vail will be open by then.

stevieray
12-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Still hate you.

Chief Henry
12-02-2009, 10:51 AM

have a good trip CH.

I'm lucky to be walking after night skiing at Keystone !!! it was fun, but my last trip down almost cost me my legs. I got out of control and went down
an icy spot about 50 yards - luckily I went to my back intime to stop.

Keystone and Copper Mnt. are great places to ski. If I recall Copper Mnt.
has wider open spaces to ski.

Chief Husker-bring the lip balm.

MahiMike
12-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Got married on the mountain top there. Went in summer. No snow. Only skiied at Vale. It's all good.

Iowanian
12-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Last year I screwed up, thinking I could get by skiing with sunglasses and didn't have good gloves. ended up buying both on the mountain....ouch.

We spent a lot of our time skiing in snow/sleet/wind. Gear up well before you get to the mountain....

I've been thinking about going out sometime this winter, depending on some things.

ChiefaRoo
12-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm going to Breck starting tomorrow with the wife. I'm looking forward to the sensual massage and the wine afterwards more than the slopes but it's all good. :)

Donger
12-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't go to the mountains in the winter. Too many retards.

rageeumr
12-02-2009, 01:07 PM
If you like Blue/Blacks, then Peak 10 is your spot. My favorite runs on the mountain. Don't let Cimarron scare you. It's a black run, but it's perfectly groomed, just SUPER steep. My buddies and I had a GPS last year that would clock top speed and we all were right around 50 MPH on that run.

Make sure to hit Peak 10 in the morning, though. Those runs, especially at the top of the mountain, get a lot of wind and it typically gets pretty icy by the end of the day unless you're getting powder.

Besides Peak 10, Peak 7 is my favorite. Pretty much all blues, and they are pretty fun. It's a good place to have some relaxing runs after you've gone all-out in the bowls or on Peak 10.

If you're pretty decent, you might consider taking the T-Bar or Imperial Superchair up a little higher. More powder and more "natural" conditions, but not really dangerous. If you hike all the way up to the top of Peak 8, I would recommend against falling :) I saw a guy do that last year and ended up a few hundred yards away from his gear.

Food wise, I don't ever miss an opportunity to go to Breckenridge Brewery. The food alone isn't tremendous (although I like it), but I really like their beer. Try the 471 IPA if you like hops. There's also a place called Extreme Pizza or something like that and I've heard it's good but never been there.

Jilly
12-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I want to go. I love skiing. I don't know how people can look around while on a ski lift and not feel close to the heart of God. It's so breathtakingly beautiful.

ToroGuns
12-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Learned to ski on Peak 8 when it was the only game in town.

Started with 165cm Heads and graduated to 207cm Dynamics.

Lift ticket then (1969) was $5 a day.

Remember, an ounce of MaryJane is worth a pound of Aspen!

Non Sequitur... Decorations thread:

Shot down in Vietnam in my AH1-G Cobra and got the Purple Heart... only in country for 3 months.

Miles
12-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I am not a huge Breck fan but there is some pretty good terrain higher up the mountain. Peak 10 is also worth a look and tends to be less crowded.

Giampetros has some very good pasta and reasonable prices.

Rain Man
12-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I ran to the top of Peak 8 in one of my half-marathons this summer. I highly recommend it if you enjoy pain and suffering.

12-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Damn, spring break packages are damn expensive for only 3 days of skiing. Wife wants to take one of our kids this time around. Can't seem to find any 4 night 5 day packages with 3 days of skiing for under $1300 for her.

Miles
12-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Damn, spring break packages are damn expensive for only 3 days of skiing. Wife wants to take one of our kids this time around. Can't seem to find any 4 night 5 day packages with 3 days of skiing for under $1300 for her.

Is February or April a possibility? March/spring break is a peak time for the resorts which makes it more difficult to find deals.

12-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Is February or April a possibility? March/spring break is a peak time for the resorts which makes it more difficult to find deals.Unfortunately not. She is limited to March 13-17 this year. I get to waste vacation days staying home and doing nothing. heh

I get to make up for it in May/June though.

Miles
12-03-2009, 01:37 AM
Unfortunately not. She is limited to March 13-17 this year. I get to waste vacation days staying home and doing nothing. heh

I get to make up for it in May/June though.

That's too bad. You would likely be able to save on a hotel if she stays in Silverthorn/Dillon (less than 10 minutes to Keystone) or Frisco (about 10 minutes to Breck. Downside is not staying right next to the slopes which is less convenient with a kid.

12-03-2009, 01:40 AM
That's too bad. You would likely be able to save on a hotel if she stays in Silverthorn/Dillon (less than 10 minutes to Keystone) or Frisco (about 10 minutes to Breck. Downside is not staying right next to the slopes which is less convenient with a kid.Yep, she insists on being on resort. Not that I blame her. I hated being off resort myself the one time I had to do it.

Miles
12-03-2009, 01:45 AM
Yep, she insists on being on resort. Not that I blame her. I hated being off resort myself the one time I had to do it.

It really is more enjoyable to be able to just walk around town and not deal with parking.

12-03-2009, 02:01 AM
It really is more enjoyable to be able to just walk around town and not deal with parking.What is baffling me right now is that I can get into Keystone cheaper than Copper. That is just amazing to me.

Miles
12-03-2009, 02:37 AM
What is baffling me right now is that I can get into Keystone cheaper than Copper. That is just amazing to me.

Doesn't seem all that odd to me. I have never skied Copper because it is not part of my season pass network but I don't consider it any less of a resort/mountain than Keystone. Could just be availability since I would guess there are more places to stay around Keystone and the town is more spread out.

chief husker
12-03-2009, 08:11 AM

www.skijam.com

stevieray
12-03-2009, 10:02 AM
www.skijam.com

still...

chief husker
12-03-2009, 10:16 AM
still...

Just booked Steamboat in January. :evil:

stevieray
12-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Just booked Steamboat in January. :evil: