PDA

View Full Version : MU Big 12 commissioner worried that Insight Bowl might pass on Missouri

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2009, 07:42 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1607091.html

Big 12 commissioner worried that Insight Bowl might pass on Missouri
By MIKE DeARMOND
The Kansas City Star

Missouri, whose athletic department officials as late as Tuesday thought the Tigers would be invited to play in the Insight Bowl, is preparing for the worst: Selection to play in the Dec. 31 Texas Bowl in Houston.

The Texas Bowl has the final spot in the pecking order of eight bowl games contracted by the Big 12 Conference.

“This isn’t over,” Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe said Wednesday afternoon in a telephone interview with The Kansas City Star.

“I know (Missouri athletic director) Mike Alden and the Missouri folks have made a tremendous case to all the bowls they might be selected to," Beebe said. "I don’t know that Missouri could do a better job than they are doing.”

And, Beebe added, he shares the concern of MU officials that the Tigers might be passed over for the Insight Bowl bid by a 6-6 Iowa State team.

“I am concerned about a bowl that would select a team that has two less wins and was beaten by that team head to head.”

Unfortunately, that is just the scenario Missouri officials have come to fear.

“We’re hearing that the Insight Bowl may prefer to invite Iowa State than us,” said Chad Moller, the director of media relations for MU athletics. “The last time they played there they brought 20,000 fans.”

So, 6-6 Iowa State in the Insight Bowl, and 6-6 Texas A&M in the Independence Bowl, and 8-4 Missouri in Texas bowl?

“That’s what we’re hearing, too,” Zac Emmons, a spokesman for the Houston-based Texas Bowl, told The Star on Wednesday afternoon.

Alden was obviously not happy about the situation. However, for public consumption at least, Alden repeated the Big 12 Conference party line.

“The bowls can invite any team they choose,” Alden said. “We’ll be excited to play in any bowl we are invited to.”

However, Alden said he had spoken several times with Beebe on the matter and that Missouri would continue to do everything within the rules of the Big 12 Conference to inform bowl officials of the pluses of inviting Missouri.

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
This might be a blessing for Missouri actually. Houston would be alot better for recruiting purposes.

Sure-Oz
12-02-2009, 07:44 PM
It's the same shit that happend 2 years ago....mizzou won't guarantee ticket #'s so Iowa State will take it and we'll have the shitty texas bowl. doesn't matter wins or losses

Mr. Flopnuts
12-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Welcome to college football. What a joke...........

KurtCobain
12-02-2009, 08:00 PM
What a joke...........

punchline?

Skip Towne
12-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Nobody wants the MUrderers.

Saul Good
12-02-2009, 08:04 PM
As a Mizzou fan, I don't really care. If it's not the NC, a bowl's pretty much a bowl. One sponsor's name doesn't really impress me any more than any other sponsor's name.

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Insight and Texas are both on NFLN, so exposure would be the same. But I think a week of being pimped in Houston would do great for recruiting.

Saul Good
12-02-2009, 08:15 PM
There's too many bowls now anyway. Any school that can't make one of the 12,000 bowl games doesn't deserve to have a program.

Tiger's Fan
12-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Impressive fanbase there.

Spott
12-02-2009, 08:25 PM

Yeah, they'd prefer the gayhawks, but they aren't going to any bowl games for some reason.

|Zach|
12-02-2009, 08:40 PM

So...you are back from watching the KU game with your brothers? You never told anyone how that went.

|Zach|
12-02-2009, 08:41 PM

Says the guy supporting a team literally begging its fans not to leave at halftime.

Tiger's Fan
12-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Says the guy supporting a team literally begging its fans not to leave at halftime.

If KU had gotten a bowl game, there would have been 20,000 tickets sold already.

And football is your #1 sport, which isn't saying much.

RustShack
12-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Fight Fight Fight for IOWA STATE!

|Zach|
12-02-2009, 09:21 PM
If KU had gotten a bowl game, there would have been 20,000 tickets sold already.

ROFL

Frazod
12-02-2009, 09:22 PM
I'll believe this when I see it. But if we get shafted down to the other bowl, we'll make the most of it.

Two years ago, we went to a bowl in Texas while the inferior team went to a bowl in Florida. Two years later, we're still bowl eligible in a rebuilding year while the inferior team, with their core players intact, was the laughing stock of the fucking conference, had a losing record and is now throwing their coach under a bus.

Pitt Gorilla
12-02-2009, 09:23 PM
This might be a blessing for Missouri actually. Houston would be alot better for recruiting purposes.I agree with this. It sucks getting passed over, but the Texas Bowl on ESPN would be better for recruiting.

RustShack
12-02-2009, 09:24 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

Chiefspants
12-02-2009, 09:24 PM
No biggie, at least MU will get to play a game in december.

RustShack
12-02-2009, 09:25 PM
http://cfn.scout.com/2/557866.html

RustShack
12-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Personally, I want to see Iowa State beat Auburn in the Independence Bowl.

KcMizzou
12-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I'll believe this when I see it. But if we get shafted down to the other bowl, we'll make the most of it.

Two years ago, we went to a bowl in Texas while the inferior team went to a bowl in Florida. Two years later, we're still bowl eligible in a rebuilding year while the inferior team, with their core players intact, was the laughing stock of the fucking conference, had a losing record and is now throwing their coach under a bus.Yeah, things could certainly be worse. :)

beer bacon
12-02-2009, 09:38 PM

Didn't MU average like 15,000 more people a home game than KU this year?

Saul Good
12-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Didn't MU average like 15,000 more people a home game than KU this year?

Yes, but if you total them by weight, it was pretty even.

Saul Good
12-02-2009, 09:46 PM
No biggie, at least MU will get to play a game in december.

It's not just the game that matters. The extra practice time really helps for next year. Of course, every decent player for KU is leaving after this year, so KU didn't really lose anything in that respect.

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2009, 09:51 PM
I agree with this. It sucks getting passed over, but the Texas Bowl on ESPN would be better for recruiting.

Exactly - ESPN > NFLN. Not to mention Mizzou can spend a week talking to all the Houston high school coaches. Also Navy with the option would be a decent opponent.

Frazod
12-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Exactly - ESPN > NFLN. Not to mention Mizzou can spend a week talking to all the Houston high school coaches. Also Navy with the option would be a decent opponent.

Fuck, I didn't think about having to play Navy. Being an ex-Navy guy, that would kind of suck for me personally. :(

wild1
12-02-2009, 10:14 PM
These games are all for sale. It's sad that 20,000 ticket guarantees will buy you a bowl over a team two wins better, but this is not news. The orange bowl a few years ago, same thing. The better team gets passed over for monetary reasons at times and I think it will happen more and more in the future.

There are really too many bowl games. This leaves a lot of "Who Cares Bowl" games struggling to sell tickets and stay afloat. So have to battle for dollars and not the deserving teams. It's a moneymaking operation at the end of the day.

Titty Meat
12-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Navy played pretty good vs OSU they could beat Mizzou. Isn't Mizzou ahead of Ou? Why aren't they talked about in the Sun Bowl vs Usc?

Frazod
12-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Navy played pretty good vs OSU they could beat Mizzou. Isn't Mizzou ahead of Ou? Why aren't they talked about in the Sun Bowl vs Usc?

Missouri has a better overall record, OU has a better conference record.

And I agree, Navy could very well ruin our shit. OTOH, I have no fear of Minnesota at all.

KChiefs1
12-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Missouri fans don't travel well to bowl games.

Titty Meat
12-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Missouri has a better overall record, OU has a better conference record.

And I agree, Navy could very well ruin our shit. OTOH, I have no fear of Minnesota at all.

Minnesota sucks there D-cordinator is Nebraskas D-cordinator from the Callahan days. I would just rather play USC if you beat them thats good for recruiting.

KChiefs1
12-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Personally, I want to see Iowa State beat Auburn in the Independence Bowl.

I can't believe ISU doesn't want that game over the Insight unless they are afraid of Cheesedick laying the wood to them.

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Why aren't they talked about in the Sun Bowl vs Usc?

CBS is jizzing itself over a Oklahoma-USC matchup.

Titty Meat
12-02-2009, 10:23 PM
CBS is jizzing itself over a Oklahoma-USC matchup.

Thats going to be a sloppy game

Reerun_KC

Two years ago, we went to a bowl in Texas while the inferior team went to a bowl in Florida. Two years later, we're still bowl eligible in a rebuilding year while the inferior team, with their core players intact, was the laughing stock of the ****ing conference, had a losing record and is now throwing their coach under a bus.

Speaking of laughingstock.. Your basketball team is getting ran again on ESPNU...

KChiefs1
As a Mizzou fan, I don't really care. If it's not the NC, a bowl's pretty much a bowl. One sponsor's name doesn't really impress me any more than any other sponsor's name.

Exactly.

Being in Houston(a prime MU recruiting area) for a week & being able to bring recruits to practices would seem to be a no-brainer.

I do understand that MU wouldn't get the travel expenses compared to the Insight but Navy is a better opponent.

KChiefs1
12-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Speaking of laughingstock.. Your basketball team is getting ran again on ESPNU...

basketball season has started? I thought that was after football season?

Brock
12-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Is there really a huge difference between the Insight Bowl and the Texas Bowl?

Titty Meat
12-02-2009, 10:26 PM

Prolly the gifts. Some bowls give out watches others give out video games

Reerun_KC

I wouldnt care, Too bad our Coach is a fat douche nozzle and the team tanked the season....

Reerun_KC
basketball season has started? I thought that was after football season?

:doh!::doh!:

Coach
12-02-2009, 10:32 PM

Yes, while KU fans will be sitting at home on their couch, eating cheez-its.

Coach
12-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Thats going to be a sloppy game

I would tend to agree. I think OU will get run off of the field.

Brock
12-02-2009, 10:34 PM

It's Cheetos, man. get it straight.

Coach
12-02-2009, 10:35 PM

Well, the Insight Bowl is in AZ, and it's close to California, but the Texas Bowl is in Texas, and there are very good players in Texas.

In terms of bowl prestige, Insight Bowl is more than Texas Bowl, but in terms of recruiting possibilites, outside of FLA and Cali, Texas is also a very good recruting place to get players.

Coach
12-02-2009, 10:35 PM
It's Cheetos, man. get it straight.

http://iberkshires.com/UserFiles/Image/cheez-it-orig.gif

Reerun_KC
12-02-2009, 10:36 PM

Total Fail......

We will be sitting at home eating some wings... Dont come with this weak cheez-its action...

Reerun_KC
12-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Well, the Insight Bowl is in AZ, and it's close to California, but the Texas Bowl is in Texas, and there are very good players in Texas.

In terms of bowl prestige, Insight Bowl is more than Texas Bowl, but in terms of recruiting possibilites, outside of FLA and Cali, Texas is also a very good recruting place to get players.

:clap:

your a recruiting guru arent you now.....

Titty Meat
12-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I would tend to agree. I think OU will get run off of the field.

Probably. It's funny how Landry Jones plays so good at home and sucks on the road.

Titty Meat
12-02-2009, 10:40 PM
What are the rules for recruiting when a team like Mizzou plays a bowl in Texas?

Coach
12-02-2009, 10:41 PM

your a recruiting guru arent you now.....

Having some experience in that department, I wouldn't say I'm a guru, but it is a well known fact that those three states are a recruiting haven.

In fact, MU's 2010 class, with 16 commitments, 7 of them are from Texas.

Edit: KU's 2010 class, with 15 commitments, 8 of them are from Texas.

Reerun_KC
12-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Having some experience in that department, I wouldn't say I'm a guru, but it is a well known fact that those three states are a recruiting haven.

In fact, MU's 2010 class, with 16 commitments, 7 of them are from Texas.

I know buddy, I am just yanking your chain....

KcMizzou
12-02-2009, 10:47 PM

your a recruiting guru arent you now.....Guru or not, he's right. Mizzou recruits pretty heavily in Texas. Not so much luck on the west coast.

Coach
12-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Guru or not, he's right. Mizzou recruits pretty heavily in Texas. Not so much luck on the west coast.

Back then when USC and UCLA were "average", it was pretty easy to recruit out west. Now that USC is improved, along with the rise of Boise State, it is more harder to recruit out west these days.

Titty Meat
12-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Looks like Nebraska and K-state have alot of recruits from Cali

Nm K-state only has 2

Reerun_KC
12-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Guru or not, he's right. Mizzou recruits pretty heavily in Texas. Not so much luck on the west coast.

I think the big 12 as a whole recruit texas very heavily....

Coach
12-02-2009, 10:57 PM
I think we'll know a little bit more on the JUCO signings on Dec. 20th. If a JUCO player finish their degree early, they are eligible to sign on the early Letter of Intent Day.

Frazod
12-02-2009, 10:59 PM

I wish I had a nickel for every time one of you references basketball in a football thread. I'd be rich enough to own the tree Tiger Woods ran into.

Frazod
12-02-2009, 11:00 PM

I wonder how many of those 15 commitments are right now rethinking their college plans?

Reerun_KC
12-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I wish I had a nickel for every time one of you references basketball in a football thread. I'd be rich enough to own the tree Tiger Woods ran into.

Nice try....

If you guys would start MU game threads we could discuss basketball....

Coach
I wonder how many of those 15 commitments are right now rethinking their college plans?

Considering what's been going on at Lawrence, wouldn't suprise me one bit if some of them decide to de-commit.

Reerun_KC

Probably alot of them.... so whats your point?

Pitt Gorilla
12-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Speaking of laughingstock.. Your basketball team is getting ran again on ESPNU...KU fan? check.
MU Football thread? check.
Basketball smack? check.

Frazod
12-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Nice try....

It's still football season....

....for some of us.

:fire:

CrazyPhuD
12-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Looks like Nebraska and K-state have alot of recruits from Cali

Nm K-state only has 2

Ahhh that's probably because the recruits from CA thought the team name was the cornholers.

CoMoChief
12-03-2009, 12:39 AM
I agree with this. It sucks getting passed over, but the Texas Bowl on ESPN would be better for recruiting.

For what....1-2 players MAYBE.....and even then they probably have other schools already chosen at the time.

CoMoChief
12-03-2009, 12:41 AM
KU fan? check.
MU Football thread? check.
Basketball smack? check.

Just for the record....MU fans wouldnt even THINK about starting smack about basketball. Unless they're names are Frazod and they're fucking retarded.

Sure-Oz
12-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Nice try....

MU is still playing football thats why

Frazod
12-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Just for the record....MU fans wouldnt even THINK about starting smack about basketball. Unless they're names are Frazod and they're fucking retarded.

I don't give two shits about basketball you idiot fuck. You just sign up last week?

DJ's left nut
12-03-2009, 03:26 PM
1 lousy bowl is the same as another lousy bowl.

I really don't care one way or the other about this. Insight Bowl, Texas Bowl - both of them suck.

If we wanted a decent Bowl game we should've beat Baylor and Jasper Simmons should've quit biting on Nebraska play-fakes.

I'll watch the Bowl game with an eye on how it will impact 2010 and that's it. This season ended with the Baylor disaster.