PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Do you use a space heater?

Dunit35
12-02-2009, 08:17 PM
My electric bill was $46 for 33 days of service or 13 cents an hour, which doesn't bother me.

I started using a space heater in my bedroom so we wouldn't freeze while sleeping. I figured out how much it costs to run the space heater, came out to around 20 cents an hour. We run it 4-6 hours a night 5 days a week. So, it adds up pretty fast. I just turned it on last month, so it hasn't shown up on my electric bill.

Do you use one? Have one you recommend that would be cheaper? Is it cheaper than running my wall furnace?

Saul Good
12-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Get one of those infra-red heaters like a solar comfort. They are incredible.

Easy 6
12-02-2009, 08:20 PM
I dont pay that much attention to energy useage, but a space heater that kicks ass is a Holmes Quartz Tower.

Saul Good
12-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Space heaters don't work on large areas. They are better for heating single rooms, particularly when you can point them at a direct spot. I run my infra-read heater 24/7 in the winter. We've got a pretty big house (close to 3,000 square feet) and we put it downstairs last year. It saved me about $150 a month last winter on my gas bill (cost me about an extra $50-$60 a month in electricity) and my downstairs is about 10 degrees warmer. My furnace only runs about half as often.

The thing was about $400 bucks, but I recouped than in the first few months in gas bills alone. Then you have to factor in the reduced stress on the furnace and the added comfort of having a cozy lower level. I'm actually thinking about buying another one for upstairs. I don't know if my furnace would ever run if I did.

Bugeater
12-02-2009, 08:38 PM
No, I have a woodburning stove. It fucking rocks.

Deberg_1990
12-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Fire hazard

Dunit35
12-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Fire hazard

Mine shuts off it it overheats. It has three settings (?, 1000,1500 watts?) I run it on the second notch. So it looks like it's around .13 an hour, if it's actually running on 1000 watts. It'll will shut off due to overheating pretty fast if it's set on high.

Saul Good
12-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Mine shuts off it it overheats. It has three settings (?, 1000,1500 watts?) I run it on the second notch. So it looks like it's around .13 an hour, if it's actually running on 1000 watts. It'll will shut off due to overheating pretty fast if it's set on high.

They can still set something on fire if touched.

Dunit35
12-02-2009, 08:59 PM
They can still set something on fire if touched.

Yeah, got ya.

I always make sure nothings close to it. But, you never know.

angelo
12-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Space heaters don't work on large areas. They are better for heating single rooms, particularly when you can point them at a direct spot. I run my infra-read heater 24/7 in the winter. We've got a pretty big house (close to 3,000 square feet) and we put it downstairs last year. It saved me about $150 a month last winter on my gas bill (cost me about an extra $50-$60 a month in electricity) and my downstairs is about 10 degrees warmer. My furnace only runs about half as often.

The thing was about $400 bucks, but I recouped than in the first few months in gas bills alone. Then you have to factor in the reduced stress on the furnace and the added comfort of having a cozy lower level. I'm actually thinking about buying another one for upstairs. I don't know if my furnace would ever run if I did.

This

I have a 3500 sq foot house with a gas furnace. We keep the house set at 65
and use electric oil heaters in the rooms we use most. Turn them on when enter turn them off when you leave.

We save about 100 a month in the winter.

Ang

DenverChief
12-02-2009, 09:18 PM
http://advanced.m.nextag.com/oil-space-heater/compare-html

Can't go wrong with these bad boys. I use one and it works wonders.
Posted via Mobile Device

cdcox
12-02-2009, 10:13 PM
If you don't happen to be using it to make muffins, turn on your broiler and leave the oven door open.

DaFace
12-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Gas fireplace in livingroom + electric blanket in bedroom = more $$$ in my pocket
Posted via Mobile Device

wild1
12-02-2009, 10:20 PM
A very luxurious down comforter would cost you what that electricity does for a month

keg in kc
12-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Hell, I'm as likely to run a/c during the winter as heat.

OnTheWarpath15
12-02-2009, 10:32 PM
We have one of these in our basement, and it's amazing how well it works.

http://www.vornado.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ISC_Category=TVH+500

Bugeater
12-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Gas fireplace in livingroom + electric blanket in bedroom = more $$$ in my pocket
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't see how that gas fireplace saves you any money when 50% of the heat goes up the chimney. If you're going to burn gas, you may as well do it efficiently in your furnace.

wildcat09
12-02-2009, 10:35 PM
My house is 3,950 sq ft but its just the wife and I so we use one in the livingroom and in the master bedroom. We keep the thermo set at 62. The space heater saves us a LOT on gas and electric.

Rain Man
12-02-2009, 10:39 PM
I tried one, but it only heated space to a billionth of a degree above absolute zero. not worth the effort.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16
12-02-2009, 10:44 PM
I have one warming me up right now. Toasty.

RJ
12-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Best thing about our house is the energy efficiency, no need for a space heater. The only feature that was truly "as advertised".

Rain Man
12-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Plus the extension cord kept getting tangled in old Soviet satellites.

Pablo
12-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Nah, I live in an upstairs apartment and the neighbors below must have their shit on like 85 or something because it stays a toasty 68 in here and I haven't touched my thermostat in a couple months.

DaFace
12-03-2009, 12:07 AM
I don't see how that gas fireplace saves you any money when 50% of the heat goes up the chimney. If you're going to burn gas, you may as well do it efficiently in your furnace.

Na, they're designed for heating, so it's basically a giant space heater. There are places we looked at that ONLY have the fireplace and don't have a furnace. It's not your typical open-topped brick chimney.

We spend 90% of the time in our house in the living room, so we just run the gas fireplace. That way, we're heating about 300 sq ft instead of 2200.

TinyEvel
12-03-2009, 01:15 AM
I spent seven years working in the electrical department at HomeBase (like Home Depot).

Space heaters are usually 1500 watts. that is the equivalent of having fifteen 100watt lightbulbs on. SO, whenever that thing is on, it's like having every light in your house on.

People used to come in and buy three or four of these in November and then return them a month later after they got their $400 electric bill.

THe ones that look like a toaster oven are no good unless you are sitting at a desk and it is under your feet. The oil-filled radiator-looking ones are the most effective, from my experience. And, they are only really useful if your whole house heat is set very low and this is in the only room you use, set it to the lower setting and wear a hat and socks.

rambleonthruthefog
12-03-2009, 01:27 AM
this is what you need
http://www.treehugger.com/amish-heater.jpg
the amish heater

KCChiefsMan
12-03-2009, 01:34 AM
last winter our heater broke down, picked up a couple of space heaters and it was ok. It was cheaper than running our current heater after we got it fixed. It just sucked for those few weeks when you had to take a shower and it was freaking cold in there.

chasedude
12-03-2009, 04:02 AM
I bought one of these last year. http://www.edenpurestore.com/home The heating in my side of the duplex is horrible. There are radiant heat coils in the ceiling that don't work in certain rooms. I used to use the old radiant electric heaters but feared leaving them on when I was gone. I really hated sitting in a cold house for hours until it heated back up so I got one of these. The model I bought has a reservoir for water to use as a humidifier. The moist heat it gives off in the dry winter months around here is awesome. The money I've saved on electric bills because of the switch has already paid for the unit and then some. Besides my Samsung 40in 1080p HDTV, this has been the best purchase I've made for $400+.

Kyle DeLexus
12-03-2009, 04:10 AM
Snuggie bitches

bevischief
12-03-2009, 05:57 AM

I have 2 of these and they work great.

bevischief
12-03-2009, 05:59 AM
Fire hazard

Not with the infra-red heaters like a solar comfort.

Buehler445
12-03-2009, 06:32 AM
When I was in Sidney, I lived in a shitbox house with absolutely no insulation. There was one gas stove in the living room and one in the basement. I ran some heaters, but only had them on when I was in the room and sitting right by it. Little space heaters are pretty much only good if you have them under a desk (increasing the firehazard) or some other small enclosed space. After that, you probably need to spend some money on something that is more efficient. Those little ones are like a toaster with a fan blowing air across the coils.

I had a small heater that was built to sit along the wall. As shitty as my house was, it helped, but wasn't the answer. It just made it livable. Also, I recommend getting one with a humidifier.

As a side note, I think it is great you are doing a cost analysis and making good decisions. You're in college, right?

kepp
12-03-2009, 07:54 AM
http://advanced.m.nextag.com/oil-space-heater/compare-html

Can't go wrong with these bad boys. I use one and it works wonders.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep, that's what we use to put a little extra heat in our two year old's room during the winter. It works great.

kepp
12-03-2009, 07:56 AM
I tried one, but it only heated space to a billionth of a degree above absolute zero. not worth the effort.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa233/shredtastical/I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

sparkky
12-03-2009, 08:04 AM
man, I don't know how you guys set around the house in 65-68 degree temps. I'd have coveralls on.
I've found 76 is about my comfort zone, and I can tell if it drops 3 or 4 degrees.

thank god I heat with wood.

Radar Chief
12-03-2009, 08:38 AM
man, I don't know how you guys set around the house in 65-68 degree temps. I'd have coveralls on.
I've found 76 is about my comfort zone, and I can tell if it drops 3 or 4 degrees.

Ah, you’re spoiled by wood heat.
I’ve noticed that my buddies with wood stoves in their garages, shops, have a much easier time heating their garage with wood than I do mine with propane, and they’re burning a cheaper fuel to do it.

sparkky
12-03-2009, 08:56 AM
you're right, I am spoiled. cutting wood isn't as easy as it used to be but i have equipment to work with and have it down pretty well.

I figure I can cut for close to 10 years if I want before I'm out of falling it on the house range.

Steron
12-03-2009, 08:59 AM
We bought the 5' model Hydrosil for the kids' room. Works fantastic.

http://www.hydrosil.com/

HC_Chief
12-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Yes, we have a sun room with 16 windows. We replaced the windows with high efficiency models and added a lot of insulation; it still gets a bit cool in the winter. The space heater we purchased is a Lasko ceramic element electric heater with oscilation and built-in thermometer. It is great; detects the temp in the room and runs until it reaches 2 degrees above the heat you specify. It then cycles back on when it reaches two degrees below the heat you specify.

It runs ~$45 at Target. :thumb:

mikeyis4dcats.
12-03-2009, 11:02 AM
We bought the 5' model Hydrosil for the kids' room. Works fantastic.

http://www.hydrosil.com/

portable or permanent?

Jilly
12-03-2009, 11:09 AM
the furnace at church on my side of the building is broken, I've been using a space heater in my office....ummmm.....it's not that huge of a room and I'm f-ing freezing. Seriously, I need gloves on.

Dunit35
12-03-2009, 06:31 PM
When I was in Sidney, I lived in a shitbox house with absolutely no insulation. There was one gas stove in the living room and one in the basement. I ran some heaters, but only had them on when I was in the room and sitting right by it. Little space heaters are pretty much only good if you have them under a desk (increasing the firehazard) or some other small enclosed space. After that, you probably need to spend some money on something that is more efficient. Those little ones are like a toaster with a fan blowing air across the coils.

I had a small heater that was built to sit along the wall. As shitty as my house was, it helped, but wasn't the answer. It just made it livable. Also, I recommend getting one with a humidifier.

As a side note, I think it is great you are doing a cost analysis and making good decisions. You're in college, right?

Yes sir.

I set up an average payment plan for my gas bill (averages your past bills, so you can have a good idea what your future bills will be). My past gas bills never got above 60, so I'm figuring it won't be all that bad, price wise.

I'm paying the bills by myself (usually have a roommate), so I'm scared of a high gas or electric bill.

I have my wall furnace set at 62, when I'm absolutely freezing or my girlfriend is coming over.

Bwana
12-03-2009, 07:45 PM
No, I have a woodburning stove. It ****ing rocks.

This

C-Mac
12-03-2009, 07:47 PM
This

I have a 3500 sq foot house with a gas furnace. We keep the house set at 65
and use electric oil heaters in the rooms we use most. Turn them on when enter turn them off when you leave.

We save about 100 a month in the winter.

Ang

This.

Bwana
12-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Yes sir.

I set up an average payment plan for my gas bill (averages your past bills, so you can have a good idea what your future bills will be). My past gas bills never got above 60, so I'm figuring it won't be all that bad, price wise.

I'm paying the bills by myself (usually have a roommate), so I'm scared of a high gas or electric bill.

I have my wall furnace set at 62, when I'm absolutely freezing or my girlfriend is coming over.

What I do, is about June, I start making large Payments to the gas company and and build up a credit with them, so when I do get hit with a really bad month and get a $300 heat bill, it's covered. I never want to get nailed around Christmas with something like that. I think my heat credit is around - $930.00 right now, so that will take me through the entire winter.

MahiMike
12-03-2009, 07:54 PM
I used to use kerosene heaters when I lived in KC. Heated the whole house on 2 of them. Only place warmer was the waterbed.

Skip Towne
12-03-2009, 08:06 PM
I use those little electric "milk house" heaters. After one burned down my house I started unplugging them when I leave.

GloryDayz
12-03-2009, 08:22 PM

Don't you find the infra-red heaters light up the room like the sun..

Over-Head
12-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Do you use one? ..
Yes in my shed :thumb: mighty fricken cold smoken a draw outside this time of year in these parts :eek:

Buehler445
12-03-2009, 09:18 PM

When I moved to my shitbox house in Sidney that had a fucking stove, I refused to light the fucker. Since my wife wasn't there yet, I just sacked up and got more blankets. I'd bet money it got below 50 in there before I turned it on.

Dunit35
12-03-2009, 09:24 PM
What I do, is about June, I start making large Payments to the gas company and and build up a credit with them, so when I do get hit with a really bad month and get a $300 heat bill, it's covered. I never want to get nailed around Christmas with something like that. I think my heat credit is around - $930.00 right now, so that will take me through the entire winter.

Damn, that's a good idea.

My gas bill is due on the 7th, think I'll pay 20-30 extra.

Dunit35
12-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Damn, that's a good idea.

My gas bill is due on the 7th, think I'll pay 20-30 extra.

Went with paying 30 extra.

My meter reading was 5454 last month, its at 5611. I think it's going to be pretty costly?

Wyndex
12-03-2009, 11:00 PM
My electric bill was $46 for 33 days of service or 13 cents an hour, which doesn't bother me.

$0.13 x 24 = $3.12 dollars a day
$3.12 x 33 days = $102.96 electric bill

24hr/d x 33 d = 792 hrs/mon

$46 dollar electric bill / 792 hrs/mon = $0.058 cents an hour

$0.058 x 24 = $1.40 dollars a day

$1.40 x 33 days = $46.20

Reerun_KC
12-03-2009, 11:08 PM
When I moved to my shitbox house in Sidney that had a ****ing stove, I refused to light the ****er. Since my wife wasn't there yet, I just sacked up and got more blankets. I'd bet money it got below 50 in there before I turned it on.

Walrus's dont need alot of blankets...

stlchiefs
12-03-2009, 11:57 PM

66 and the wife bitches constantly. I on the other hand am quite comfortable. She sneaks over and turns it up every once in a while, but I kid you not I can tell every time. Literally a 1 degree temp change and I can feel it's getting a bit warm and a trip over to the thermostat always confirms it as true.

Phobia
12-04-2009, 02:38 AM

We did that with the local water dept. Accidentally bounced a check to them....

They collected their $35 dollar fee from our negative balance, the monthly bill, and then shut our water off and demanded we pay them the $35 fee plus a $50 reconnect. Blew my mind. The wife almost cussed them (and she doesn't do that) - I had to call them and explain the situation v e r y s l o w l y so they would understand. Ludicrous.

MahiMike
12-04-2009, 08:50 AM
66 and the wife bitches constantly. I on the other hand am quite comfortable. She sneaks over and turns it up every once in a while, but I kid you not I can tell every time. Literally a 1 degree temp change and I can feel it's getting a bit warm and a trip over to the thermostat always confirms it as true.

Keep mine on 63. Grab another sweater...

Dunit35
12-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Stupid cold weather.

My house was 48 when I woke up this morning. My bedroom was probably around 55, girlfriend and I froze are asses off. I've been unplugging the space heater before we fall asleep, bad idea last night.

MOhillbilly
12-04-2009, 10:33 AM

X2

MOhillbilly
12-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Stupid cold weather.

My house was 48 when I woke up this morning. My bedroom was probably around 55, girlfriend and I froze are asses off. I've been unplugging the space heater before we fall asleep, bad idea last night.

i put 2 logs on the fire overnight and when i got up at 6-30a it was 80 in the house. i walk around in shorts,t-shirt, & flipflops. this is in a 80yr old 1200sq ft house.(theres a full basement but i dont heat it)

Fish
12-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Don't you find the infra-red heaters light up the room like the sun..

It's infared light.... are you wearing a Predator helmet or something?

Steron
12-04-2009, 10:57 AM
portable or permanent?

We bought the portable one. When we move to our next home we are considering having the baseboard model installed in every room.

sparkky
12-04-2009, 11:03 AM
I used to make a lot of $$ in the winters from those "little" electric heaters.
I'd get a call from a business office of breakers tripping and it was ALWAYS several women using "twat heaters" under their desks.
a couple of heaters, 3 or 4 PC's, a printer or two, some clock radios, coffee cup warmers,,,,,

CHACHING for an electrician service call. usually involved running a new circuit or two and isolating some loads. the boss would almost always sign off on it cause the only thing he hated worse than paying my bill was listening to "cold-crotched women" bitch about being cold. LOL

38yrsfan
12-04-2009, 01:22 PM

Same ... burn around 5 cords a year.

Dunit35
12-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Rock on

Paid 30 extra on my gas bill, had some extra money.

My gas bill for this month is 21 bills. Yeah.