PDA

View Full Version : Life I'm having a miserable time gettin into the spirit

Megbert
12-03-2009, 01:10 AM
No job. probably lose the house. can't tell if gf of going on 3 years. If she really wants to be a part of 'us' anymore. I am back in school for pharmacy tech since i've been unemployed since july 17. I am doing a bit of side work - laying out newspaper publications once a month. Guess I am just feeling miserable right now. Hopefully it'll pass if not well then I just don't know what I'm gonna do. - MERRY CHRISTMAS

KCChiefsMan
12-03-2009, 01:14 AM
I hate the holidays. It's a BS thing and I hate the obligation, plus I don't have a huge family and I can drive down there any time to see the 3 family members I have left, but I must go on this specific day even if it's my only day off and I have to drive 4 hours there, spend 3 hours with fam and then drive 4 hours back. I tried telling my mom that I can go see them all at any time, but I must be there on that specific day. Plus it's a Friday this year....AHHH!

plus, Coca Cola made up Santa Claus with a brilliant marketing strategy

patteeu
12-03-2009, 01:16 AM
That's rough. Good luck getting back on your feet.

Slainte
12-03-2009, 03:59 AM
The 'obligation' we feel that we must be filled with the Christmas spirit at this time of year is truly despicable. Don't worry too much about it. Much luck to you in the future, AZ...

Param
12-03-2009, 04:23 AM
No job. probably lose the house. can't tell if gf of going on 3 years. If she really wants to be a part of 'us' anymore. I am back in school for pharmacy tech since i've been unemployed since july 17. I am doing a bit of side work - laying out newspaper publications once a month. Guess I am just feeling miserable right now. Hopefully it'll pass if not well then I just don't know what I'm gonna do. - MERRY CHRISTMAS

From my experience, not every year at this time feels like xmas. Sometimes I'm fully into it, other times just not in the mood. This may be a down holiday spirit year for ya, but next year might be different.

chasedude
12-03-2009, 04:27 AM
I used to be so thrilled as a kid around Christmas now I just feel like it's another day of the year. Reminiscing about the good times waking up on Christmas day to see what Santa left has come down to a "who gives a shit" attitude about the holiday. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a scrooge. I just don't feel like I used to anymore. Plus my birthday is in a couple days and I just want it to come and go like every other day. I guess I'm a bit depressed. I'm going to be 38 and I really don't feel human anymore. Numb is the best word I can come up with for what I feel like. It's been a shitty year for me. Lost a job too only to get another that I'm over qualified for. Going from a IT Admin job to stocking shelves at Walmart sure cuts down my confidence factor. I'm sure something will pickup somewhere, maybe. Eh, what the hell do I care anymore. At least I have the planet to share my pain with. Not that many care, it's just good to get it out.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-03-2009, 05:25 AM
For those of you that are feeling sorry for yourselves you need to sit back and put things in perspective and realize that ;

#1) You don't have to jack off pigs to earn a living

#2) There's always alcohol

#3) You're not Gochiefs

#4) It's probably been quite some time since you've shit your pants at Walmart

#5) You're not dead

Now don't you feel better !

Lumpy
12-03-2009, 05:37 AM
For those of you that are feeling sorry for yourselves you need to sit back and put things in perspective and realize that ;

#3) You're not Gochiefs

#5) You're not dead

I feel better already! Thx Hog Farmer! :thumb:

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-03-2009, 06:32 AM
This should make you feel better!

<object width='640' height='385'><param name='movie' value='http://www.apacheclips.com/flv_player/Main.swf' /> <param name='FlashVars' value='config=http://www.apacheclips.com/flv_player/data/playerConfigEmbed/12129.xml' /> <embed src='http://www.apacheclips.com/flv_player/Main.swf' quality='high' width='640' height='385' FlashVars='config=http://www.apacheclips.com/flv_player/data/playerConfigEmbed/12129.xml' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'></embed></object>

Buehler445
12-03-2009, 06:37 AM
Hang in there fellas. Hopefully times will turn around.

On the subject at hand, I too hate the obligation of it. It's just not what it should be. Maybe I am a scrooge.

InChiefsHeaven
12-03-2009, 06:49 AM
So, nobody really celebrates Christmas for the original religious purpose? Not to be a wanker, but that might be part of the problem. If you view Christmas as nothing more than a material goods holiday (which is sadly what it's become) then yeah, I can definitely imagine it being a very depressing time of year. I personally can't stand the "Christmas Season" as our society defines it, but I look forward to Advent every year on the Church calendar. I mean, I like Santa and A Christmas Story and all that, but really to me there has to be much more to it, otherwise it IS just another day that one must simply endure.

Please, I don't want to get into a big religious discussion, I just figured I'd point that out.

Buehler445
12-03-2009, 06:59 AM
So, nobody really celebrates Christmas for the original religious purpose? Not to be a wanker, but that might be part of the problem. If you view Christmas as nothing more than a material goods holiday (which is sadly what it's become) then yeah, I can definitely imagine it being a very depressing time of year. I personally can't stand the "Christmas Season" as our society defines it, but I look forward to Advent every year on the Church calendar. I mean, I like Santa and A Christmas Story and all that, but really to me there has to be much more to it, otherwise it IS just another day that one must simply endure.

Please, I don't want to get into a big religious discussion, I just figured I'd point that out.

I agree. Wholeheatedly. It's just disheartening when the secular part of Christmas, that I dislike, is SOOOO overwhelming.

We were in Home Depot on October 15th and they had Christmas shit up FFS. A guy doing some work for my dad said his wife put up 5 fucking Christmas trees in his house. :spock:

All that stuff does is create undue stress. "OMG I have to get the lights up!" "FOOOOOOOOCK a lightbulb burned out." "What if they don't like the gift I got them? We have to make sure we spend the same amount on each kid. But your sister got your parents that!!!!" "We're going to be late for dinner! ZOMGWTFBBQ The rolls aren't done...NOOOOOOOO"

Fuck that shit. I try to become a hermit and avoid the shit as much as possible and try to find a way to get to church and study the reason for the season.

Just my take.

sparkky
12-03-2009, 08:17 AM
AZ, hang in there buddy.
as for Christmas, when ya ain't 10 anymore it kind of loses it's luster.
it's really just bills and obligations at this point.

BigRedChief
12-03-2009, 08:24 AM
AZ, hang in there buddy.
Yeah that will cheer him right up.ROFL

I've had many a low point in my life. Shots to the gut and then thoughts of what the hell am I going to do now? Where the hell am I going? There is no special sauce to make it all better. You just keep on the path to bettering your life and then at some point you turn around and realize that...hey, life is better now.

ChiTown
12-03-2009, 08:26 AM

+1

I love the Spirit of Christmas. The giving of yourself to others, being able to focus on doing good deeds, trying to be more Christ-Like, etc. To me, that is what pushes me into Holiday Mode. The fact that I have kids 8 & 11, who still really dig it as well, doesn't hurt my overall experience either.

Deberg_1990
12-03-2009, 08:26 AM
So, nobody really celebrates Christmas for the original religious purpose?

Sadly, the "religious part of Christmas seems like its getting less and less each year.

I do enjoy buying and recieving gifts, but the whole "Mall culture/BlackFriday" thing has gotten out of hand IMO.

I surely dont want to raise my kids into that sort of mindset.

Dayze
12-03-2009, 08:37 AM
I’m in the same boat. I’m not religious, so let’s get ‘that’ out of the way.
But it seems like each year as soon as Halloween hits we have to start planning our schedules and finances to deal with Xmas. We’re grown a** people – we can get whatever we want, whenever we want (within reason). But, each year, we have to buy gifts for like 20 people; and even if they’re small gifts, that adds up. Plus, it’s F’n cold and dark by 3pm; I’m wiped out from working, and have our own stuff to deal with without adding in the frustration of xmas.

We usually buy for our nieces and nephews who are still youngins, but man…those kids get a ton of stuff. I’m not sure we’ll be able to swing it financially this year anyway, so hopefully the parents will understand (I’m sure they will).

It seems like Xmas is just another holiday that occurs each month to stimulate buying goods. Each month there is a a holiday / big sale of sorts.

Inspector
12-03-2009, 08:38 AM

#3) You're not Gochiefs

#5) You're not dead

This reminds me that I haven't pooped in my pants in Walmart for weeks.

And yeah, Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Christ - and we always remind the grandkids of that - but with that said, it does sort of seem like a once a year huge bill that has to be paid. With 5 kids, their wives, the kids, nieces, nephews, etc...it can really add up quick.

Keep your chin up, good luck, things will turn around and get better! Happy holidays!

Bugeater
12-03-2009, 08:41 AM

Whatever, wanker.

:D

In all seriousness, I'm not a religious person at all and I totally agree. We are trying to get it down to less and less of a material holiday each year. This year my brothers and I have agreed there will be no gift-giving at our get together this year, not even for the kids. Not because any of us can't afford to, but the whole premise is just silly. What am I going to go buy someone else's kid for $20-30 that they are going to really need or have it mean anything to them.

For me, it's more about taking some time off and relaxing a bit, catching up with the family on what I've missed over the past year, maybe a friend that doesn't live in town anymore will come visit...and eating and drinking and being just generally merry.

Oh hell, I almost forgot, to the thread starter, sorry to hear you're down on your luck, hope it turns for you soon!

kc rush
12-03-2009, 08:52 AM
As an adult I don't enjoy receiving gifts, but I love giving them. It will be tough this year due to finances, but we will be able to do a little for the kids.

We've been trying to plant the seeds by saying that Santa is working extra hard this year because so many people are out of work, and since other kid's families can't buy toys Santa will need to deliver more to those families. Since my kids are 7 and 3 it will still be difficult for them to get it.

Iowanian
12-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Steel doesn't get it's strength until its' been put through fire.

Hang in there. Find something positive to do that makes you feel good.

patteeu
12-03-2009, 09:19 AM
I've had many a low point in my life. Shots to the gut and then thoughts of what the hell am I going to do now? Where the hell am I going? There is no special sauce to make it all better. You just keep on the path to bettering your life and then at some point you turn around and realize that...hey, life is better now.

There's some pretty good wisdom here, AZ. I know it doesn't make things any better now, but be confident that if you keep on chugging, no matter how bad it gets for now, things will eventually be better for you.

patteeu
12-03-2009, 09:25 AM
AZ, hang in there buddy.

Ever since my youngest daughter (now 12) started thinking that her gifts from Santa really came from mom and dad, Santa doesn't deliver to our house anymore. Since then, I've been telling her that she killed Santa.

sparkky
12-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Ever since my youngest daughter (now 12) started thinking that her gifts from Santa really came from mom and dad, Santa doesn't deliver to our house anymore. Since then, I've been telling her that she killed Santa.

LOL
I'm sure now the easter bunny and tooth fairy get a little more love and respect from her!!

ChiTown
12-03-2009, 09:41 AM

AZ

I want you to do yourself a favor. Go to a homeless shelter this weekend, and donate your time. Take a moment and talk to some of these folks and listen to their problems. In doing this, it will help you to remember that in giving, that is when we REALLY receive. I promise you, that if you take the time to do this, it will help you to remember that:

1. No matter how bad your problems are, somebody else's problems are probably worse - and you can actually help them, just by listening

2. Christmas spirit is more about giving yourself to others, and when we do this, it's only then that we can fully capture what it means (and reap it's blessings).

Good luck!

sparkky
12-03-2009, 09:53 AM
AZ

I want you to do yourself a favor. Go to a homeless shelter this weekend, and donate your time. Take a moment and talk to some of these folks and listen to their problems. In doing this, it will help you to remember that in giving, that is when we REALLY receive. I promise you, that if you take the time to do this, it will help you to remember that:

1. No matter how bad your problems are, somebody else's problems are probably worse - and you can actually help them, just by listening

2. Christmas spirit is more about giving yourself to others, and when we do this, it's only then that we can fully capture what it means (and reap it's blessings).

Good luck!

very good post!!
I often remind myself that the local cemetery is full of folks that would trade their problem for mine.

stevieray
12-03-2009, 09:56 AM
I used to be so thrilled as a kid around Christmas now I just feel like it's another day of the year. Reminiscing about the good times waking up on Christmas day to see what Santa left has come down to a "who gives a shit" attitude about the holiday. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a scrooge. I just don't feel like I used to anymore. Plus my birthday is in a couple days and I just want it to come and go like every other day. I guess I'm a bit depressed. I'm going to be 38 and I really don't feel human anymore. Numb is the best word I can come up with for what I feel like. It's been a shitty year for me. Lost a job too only to get another that I'm over qualified for. Going from a IT Admin job to stocking shelves at Walmart sure cuts down my confidence factor. I'm sure something will pickup somewhere, maybe. Eh, what the hell do I care anymore. At least I have the planet to share my pain with. Not that many care, it's just good to get it out.
chasedue. let's hook up for a beer....

BigRedChief
12-03-2009, 10:10 AM
chasedue. let's hook up for a beer....Yeah sounds good, count me in. :thumb:

Great Expectations
12-03-2009, 11:03 AM
You don't need a pharm tech degree to be a pharm tech. You probably won't make anymore money w/ the degree either.

Demonpenz
12-03-2009, 11:06 AM
sometimes you just have to grin and bare it. My whole family including me had the flu through thanksgiving. So what should have been a well earned days off turned into everyone just being miserable. I urged my dad to go to the doctor but he is too proud too.

Jilly
12-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Thought I'd share a poem here, by Ann Weems:

Some of us walk into Advent
tethered to our unresolved yesterdays
the pain still stabbing
the hurt still throbbing.
It's not that we don't know better;
it's just that we can't stand up anymore by ourselves.
On the way to Bethlehem,
will you give us a hand?

I decided to post this because none of you are alone. Christmas, Advent, this time of waiting pushes a lot of people into a time of abandonment, loneliness, and despair. It's normal to feel sad at Christmas. And not to be a Debbie Downer, but there's not much to be happy about. Even as a Christian, I find that the birth of Christ is riddled with sadness. Beyond the manger is a cross...an ominous cross....and while we decorate the manger with shepherds and sheep and gifts from Kings...that cross looms in the distance. The idea that God had to send a Savior to the world because we were so horrible and that that child had to grow up to die is not exactly one of the happiest thoughts in the world.

So you're not alone and that's ok. And your sadness is ok. And maybe somewhere beyond the cross, you'll find a hope that supersedes it all. And in the meantime, we're all here to give you a hand and help you along.

Sorry to get all religious, but it's that time of year for me.

Brock
12-03-2009, 11:24 AM
There are people younger than you dying of cancer right now.

58kcfan89
12-03-2009, 11:42 AM
AZ

Good luck!

This. I know there's a lot of people that don't have the time or don't care enough to do it, but volunteering really helps. One of the best Christmases I've ever had was 2 years ago when I volunteered at the United Way, just helping them clean their offices & doing some errands for them.

But yeah, if you can find something positive to focus on, it'll probably improve your outlook on everything. I hope everything ends up working out for you.

Simply Red
12-03-2009, 11:55 AM

PM me anytime, brosky. IIRC, you were one of my first friends on here.

LaChapelle
12-03-2009, 11:57 AM
You are a male born at the tailend of the 21st century and living in the USA
get a grip

MahiMike
12-03-2009, 12:00 PM

Hang in there dude. Good things are around the corner.

MahiMike
12-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Thought I'd share a poem here, by Ann Weems:

Some of us walk into Advent
tethered to our unresolved yesterdays
the pain still stabbing
the hurt still throbbing.
It's not that we don't know better;
it's just that we can't stand up anymore by ourselves.
On the way to Bethlehem,
will you give us a hand?

I decided to post this because none of you are alone. Christmas, Advent, this time of waiting pushes a lot of people into a time of abandonment, loneliness, and despair. It's normal to feel sad at Christmas. And not to be a Debbie Downer, but there's not much to be happy about. Even as a Christian, I find that the birth of Christ is riddled with sadness. Beyond the manger is a cross...an ominous cross....and while we decorate the manger with shepherds and sheep and gifts from Kings...that cross looms in the distance. The idea that God had to send a Savior to the world because we were so horrible and that that child had to grow up to die is not exactly one of the happiest thoughts in the world.

So you're not alone and that's ok. And your sadness is ok. And maybe somewhere beyond the cross, you'll find a hope that supersedes it all. And in the meantime, we're all here to give you a hand and help you along.

Nice. Thanks.

El Jefe
12-03-2009, 12:04 PM
+1

I love the Spirit of Christmas. The giving of yourself to others, being able to focus on doing good deeds, trying to be more Christ-Like, etc. To me, that is what pushes me into Holiday Mode. The fact that I have kids 8 & 11, who still really dig it as well, doesn't hurt my overall experience either.

Exactly, I love Christmas time, I love helping people who need it or getting gifts for those who couldn't normally. Now a days though the Media has us saturated with a "Must spend a ton of money to have a good Christmas" which is ridiculous. Jesus is the reason for the season.

Katie
12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
FYI - Bismarck, ND unemployment rate is 2.9%...I know it probably seems like considering going to hell, but there are a lot of jobs here to be had... weather sucks half the year, but the people are great. If you're a hunter, it's heaven...

There are always in life...

El Jefe
I’m in the same boat. I’m not religious, so let’s get ‘that’ out of the way.
But it seems like each year as soon as Halloween hits we have to start planning our schedules and finances to deal with Xmas. We’re grown a** people – we can get whatever we want, whenever we want (within reason). But, each year, we have to buy gifts for like 20 people; and even if they’re small gifts, that adds up. Plus, it’s F’n cold and dark by 3pm; I’m wiped out from working, and have our own stuff to deal with without adding in the frustration of xmas.

We usually buy for our nieces and nephews who are still youngins, but man…those kids get a ton of stuff. I’m not sure we’ll be able to swing it financially this year anyway, so hopefully the parents will understand (I’m sure they will).

It seems like Xmas is just another holiday that occurs each month to stimulate buying goods. Each month there is a a holiday / big sale of sorts.

This is true.

Simply Red
You are a male born at the tailend of the 21st century and living in the USA
get a grip

so is yer face!

Delano
12-03-2009, 12:12 PM
LIFE:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2m26dtt.gif

Bearcat
12-03-2009, 12:15 PM
All that stuff does is create undue stress. "OMG I have to get the lights up!" "FOOOOOOOOCK a lightbulb burned out." "What if they don't like the gift I got them? We have to make sure we spend the same amount on each kid. But your sister got your parents that!!!!" "We're going to be late for dinner! ZOMGWTFBBQ The rolls aren't done...NOOOOOOOO"

As far as the OP, I definitely understand how having the Christmas (mostly shopping) spirit shoved down your throat can get annoying, and there will always be those who take it to the extreme and think you should be so happy this month that you sh*t candy canes..... but as far as the undue stress, I guess it's a perk of being single and not having to worry about who's place we're going to this year, etc; and my family is pretty laid back, so I'd end up being way too apathetic about other people's feelings on where I should be Christmas morning, who I should be with, blah blah blah.

People put way too much thought into that crap... give gifts to those you care about the most, or do what you can afford; be with those you want to be with, and make the most of it. It's not that complicated, mostly because there's another one next year, and the year after that, and the year after that....

notorious
12-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Steel doesn't get it's strength until its' been put through fire.

That is a badass quote. Good Work.

Buehler445
12-03-2009, 12:45 PM
As far as the OP, I definitely understand how having the Christmas (mostly shopping) spirit shoved down your throat can get annoying, and there will always be those who take it to the extreme and think you should be so happy this month that you sh*t candy canes..... but as far as the undue stress, I guess it's a perk of being single and not having to worry about who's place we're going to this year, etc; and my family is pretty laid back, so I'd end up being way too apathetic about other people's feelings on where I should be Christmas morning, who I should be with, blah blah blah.

People put way too much thought into that crap... give gifts to those you care about the most, or do what you can afford; be with those you want to be with, and make the most of it. It's not that complicated, mostly because there's another one next year, and the year after that, and the year after that....

This.

Demonpenz
12-03-2009, 12:51 PM
This time of year always seems the toughest for me. All my friends I had growing up got married and are doing the family thing, every outting seems to be couples outting leaving me feeling awkward I am the only single one there. I would feel alright if I was out on the prowl or whatever, but it seems whereever i go everyone has a boyfriend or spouse. I was seeing a girl a couple years ago at this time but she dumped me for a different guy.

seclark
12-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Christmas day...my birthday. my mother and us kids were living w/my grandmother in st. louis. mom had just packed us up and left my dad a month earlier. dad was in a detox ward 150 miles away. after we left him, he'd hit rock bottom, quit his job before he was fired and checked himself in. we had no money, food came from grandmas job. didn't know what the future had in store for us. the only gifts we got was a bag of oranges from the lady next door.

we'd gone to my aunts house for Christmas dinner. it was awful. people were trying to be nice, because they all felt sorry for us, i guess.

about 1:30 the doorbell rang. i went up and answered it. i opened the door to see my father standing there, not knowing whether he'd be welcomed or not. he'd started working on the detox ward, helping w/new patients and such. they had a patient that needed sent to st.louis for something, and he was allowed to help bring him down. it was the first time i ever remembered hugging my father(12 years old). he was only there for about 15 minutes, but he told us all how he was doing his best to get himself straightened out, and if possible, we could all be together as a family again.

he did. he got out and got a job, eventually going back to what he did when everything blew up. two weeks later, i moved back w/him. the next week, so did my older brother. two weeks after that, mom and my sisters came back. he stayed sober and was the best father i could ever have for the last 36 years of his life.

Christmas day. the best Christmas i ever had. no gifts. just hope.

sec

ChiTown
12-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Christmas day...my birthday. my mother and us kids were living w/my grandmother in st. louis. mom had just packed us up and left my dad a month earlier. dad was in a detox ward 150 miles away. after we left him, he'd hit rock bottom, quit his job before he was fired and checked himself in. we had no money, food came from grandmas job. didn't know what the future had in store for us. the only gifts we got was a bag of oranges from the lady next door.

we'd gone to my aunts house for Christmas dinner. it was awful. people were trying to be nice, because they all felt sorry for us, i guess.

about 1:30 the doorbell rang. i went up and answered it. i opened the door to see my father standing there, not knowing whether he'd be welcomed or not. he'd started working on the detox ward, helping w/new patients and such. they had a patient that needed sent to st.louis for something, and he was allowed to help bring him down. it was the first time i ever remembered hugging my father(12 years old). he was only there for about 15 minutes, but he told us all how he was doing his best to get himself straightened out, and if possible, we could all be together as a family again.

he did. he got out and got a job, eventually going back to what he did when everything blew up. two weeks later, i moved back w/him. the next week, so did my older brother. two weeks after that, mom and my sisters came back. he stayed sober and was the best father i could ever have for the last 36 years of his life.

sec

Beautiful story, sec.

Thanks for sharing.

Jilly
12-03-2009, 12:56 PM

sec

That is powerful, sec. Hope is powerful.

Hammock Parties
12-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Hey at least you don't go limp.

Mecca
12-03-2009, 12:58 PM
I can kind of relate to this, a lot of my family just isn't close. So all these people do all this family stuff and my family it's just like ehhh, it makes you feel not normal.

Demonpenz
12-03-2009, 01:01 PM
the yearwas 2009, I longed for that certain USC fan to be in my life. Pining over travis tritt dvd's he finally came back to chiefsplanet

Mecca
12-03-2009, 01:02 PM
I'd like to add that Tritt shit is hilarious since I hate country music.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-03-2009, 01:10 PM

You're doing this to yourself. You're insecure because you're not providing financially as you have up until about 6 mos. ago. If you project this on your gf, she won't want to be a part of it for much longer. Make sure you talk with her. Explain how YOU are feeling and get some feedback from her. After that, put it away. Do your very best every day and worry about the rest of it as little as possible.

The mark of a man is found when he's at his lowest. Not when he's on top of the World. I wish you luck my friend.

Radar Chief
12-03-2009, 01:35 PM
LIFE:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2m26dtt.gif

:LOL: :clap:

El Jefe
12-03-2009, 01:40 PM

sec

Wow, man that gave me goose bumps what a story, thanks for sharing.

El Jefe
12-03-2009, 01:42 PM
You're doing this to yourself. You're insecure because you're not providing financially as you have up until about 6 mos. ago. If you project this on your gf, she won't want to be a part of it for much longer. Make sure you talk with her. Explain how YOU are feeling and get some feedback from her. After that, put it away. Do your very best every day and worry about the rest of it as little as possible.

The mark of a man is found when he's at his lowest. Not when he's on top of the World. I wish you luck my friend.

REP, that is good stuff.

stevieray
12-03-2009, 01:44 PM

sec
...that is by far the absolute greatest story I think I've ever read in the decade I've been here. Thank you for sharing.

My Dad took my mom's brand new car and left us when I was eighteen months old... we too had to move in with my moms' mom till i was in the third grade..it took my mom working at IBM for that lomg before she could afford to get our very first apt @ Somerset village in Raytown..it's still there..and it's small but seemed huge to me then..and we still joke about how all we had was a couch, a B/W TV, and a rubber plant...those memories of growing up in grandmas house and (even though we didn't have much), those christmas' with the smell of a real tree, nuts and candy in the stockings and the warmth and love and the spirit of giving from my grandma remains deeply rooted in my sense of the Spirit of the Season.

Merry Christmas to you and yours sec....Merry Christmas.

SDChiefs
12-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Man, that sucks. Im sorry. Just try to be thankful for the things you do have. I know its hard but its what I do.

Slainte
12-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Christmas day. the best Christmas i ever had.

Worst Christmas ever for Chiefs fans...

Mr. Flopnuts
12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
I agree. Wholeheatedly. It's just disheartening when the secular part of Christmas, that I dislike, is SOOOO overwhelming.

We were in Home Depot on October 15th and they had Christmas shit up FFS. A guy doing some work for my dad said his wife put up 5 fucking Christmas trees in his house. :spock:

Fuck that shit. I try to become a hermit and avoid the shit as much as possible and try to find a way to get to church and study the reason for the season.

Just my take.

Isn't it ironic that the time we're supposed to spend celebrating the hope of the World is such a hopeless time for so many people? I blame us, not God.

Brock
12-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Worst Christmas ever for Chiefs fans...

Are you sure about that?

patteeu
12-03-2009, 03:24 PM
If it helps, you guys don't need to get me anything. I know you love me just the same.

Slainte
12-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Are you sure about that?

Not so much. D'oh.

TinyEvel
12-03-2009, 11:08 PM
God bless all you guys and gals.

I just called my brother to see about getting together with our mom for her birthday this weekend.

His wife answered. She said that her mom just had surgery to remove a 7" tumor off her pelvis and they also put plates in her hip and femur, and my mom is staying with her to help her recover.
She also said they cannot make an early brunch Saturday because they are going to sign rental papers for a new place because they just lost their house (the mortgage company will foreclose any day and they want to get themselves and their belongings out of there before they issue a writ and confiscate).
I asked about my 21 year-old nephew (their son) and mentioned he was working two jobs, right? (last I had heard)

She said that he has one job, a sales job that only pays if you sell (insurance policy) and he is doing COMMUNITY SERVICE for a ticket he received for merging into the carpool lane during carpool hours while not signaling and he had no front license plate and illegally tinted windows. The total for the ticket was $1200. He cannot pay so he has to do 138 hours of community service or go to jail on december 18th.

Well, after all that I said we can go to a late dinner on Saturday and I will pick up the tab. that is the most I can do for them and my mom. I cannot pay the ticket or their mortgage. But it did put into perspective how blessed I am to have my health and my family's health and a home to live in with heat an the sense in my head to keep all that going.
I don't know what I will give or get for Christmas, but no matter what, in the original spirit of the holiday I am going to count my blessings and try to gift others an be kind and helpful as much as possible. Not just on Christmas, but always...
But, yeah, it is hard to "get into the season" maybe we should consider the season to be helping others as year-round. I don't have the answer. I do agree though that black friday and all that has overshadowed the true meaning.

Fairplay
12-03-2009, 11:53 PM
I feel so sorry for those on here who have lost their jobs and struggling.

And this time of year is depressing anyway.

Just hang tough man. Some good advise on this thread.

MadMax
12-04-2009, 01:02 AM

I am sorry things are bad for you right now. I can't work because of my health, I have 2 children to support on a Social security disability. I live in a trailer, while it is decent it's still a trailer house. Most of my family is dead or have forgotten about me except to chime in every once in a while to say they have not. I almost died twice in the last year, due to internal bleeding and I fear the next time will be the last. I am always told it could be worse... lol what a croc of shit. I miss the people I loved so much that have died. I have to stay strong to give my kids the best Christmas possible. Call me a pussy cause when I type this shit teardrops rain on my keyboard. I have 1 true friend from my Army days and I thank the lord for him and his support, otherwise I might have killed myself by now. I have 1 true friend on here that actually knows what kind of person I am and he is Mr. Flopnuts...49 fuckin years on this planet and this is what I got. I'm sorry bro I hope life treats you better than that. Oh. yeah and I was the nice guy. FUCKIT!!!!!!!!!

Megbert
12-04-2009, 01:59 AM
I appreciate all the advice. I do realize other's out there have it worse off than I do. Just last night everything just 'caught' up with me all at once and I felt like shit at the time of the OP. Feeling better today. actually put up the xmas crap. Who can't get somewhat happier with a 'Charlie Brown' xmas tree in the room?

Mr. Flopnuts
12-04-2009, 02:22 AM
I am sorry things are bad for you right now. I can't work because of my health, I have 2 children to support on a Social security disability. I live in a trailer, while it is decent it's still a trailer house. Most of my family is dead or have forgotten about me except to chime in every once in a while to say they have not. I almost died twice in the last year, due to internal bleeding and I fear the next time will be the last. I am always told it could be worse... lol what a croc of shit. I miss the people I loved so much that have died. I have to stay strong to give my kids the best Christmas possible. Call me a pussy cause when I type this shit teardrops rain on my keyboard. I have 1 true friend from my Army days and I thank the lord for him and his support, otherwise I might have killed myself by now. I have 1 true friend on here that actually knows what kind of person I am and he is Mr. Flopnuts...49 fuckin years on this planet and this is what I got. I'm sorry bro I hope life treats you better than that. Oh. yeah and I was the nice guy. FUCKIT!!!!!!!!!

:( I'll give you a call this weekend brutha. Hopefully after a Chiefs win.

MadMax
12-04-2009, 02:33 AM
I appreciate all the advice. I do realize other's out there have it worse off than I do. Just last night everything just 'caught' up with me all at once and I felt like shit at the time of the OP. Feeling better today. actually put up the xmas crap. Who can't get somewhat happier with a 'Charlie Brown' xmas tree in the room?

Although I really gave you no advice, My family wishes you a Merry Christmas and I really do wish the best for you and yours. Hang in their bro I know you can. I got some shit off my chest and I feel better for it.

MadMax
12-04-2009, 02:49 AM
:( I'll give you a call this weekend brutha. Hopefully after a Chiefs win.

Merry Christmas my friend and God Bless.

memyselfI
12-04-2009, 07:35 AM

Word of advice, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE IN THE SPIRIT!!!!

It's not mandatory and it's not even a healthy exercise for most of the population who engage in the process for all of the wrong reasons. Me, I made peace with my disdain of this time of the year. I wish we could fast forward from the day after Thanksgiving (which is my favorite holiday) to Jan. 2nd because the holidays are such a strain and drain on people's psyche's, resources, and time.

If you felt bad before then don't feel pressured to feel good because society is telling you to, in part, because the state of the economy depends on you doing so. F*ck em.

TEX
12-04-2009, 08:21 AM

Nothing too terrible. Your doubts about the GF of 3 years is likely because you don't feel good about yourself. So, don't make the mistake of letting that take over all aspects of your life. If you have your HEALTH, you have it all!

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-04-2009, 08:39 AM
I got hit in the face with a runaway boar snake yesterday.

Anybody got a handgun I can borrow ?

seclark
12-04-2009, 09:18 AM
I got hit in the face with a runaway boar snake yesterday.

Anybody got a handgun I can borrow ?

you shouldn't be standing under the mistletoe while you're working.
sec

stevieray
12-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Your post appears to be more appropriate for Easter, rather than Christmas.
'Decorating' the manger( a food trough) with shepards and sheep? shepards were considered the lowest and the least...but not in God's eyes.

God didn't send his son because we are horrible, he sent us the gift of His Son because he loves us.

Someday, when your daughter acts horrible, you aren't going to show her grace or mercy because she's bad, it's because you love her.

Hope comes from the cross, not beyond it.

I think people get bummed because they feel nobody cares during a time that repreasents joy.....

Fish
12-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Somebody needs a Christian side hug........

Dayze
12-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Here’s my awesome (sarcasm) holiday schedule for ‘celebrating’

4th – work Christmas party
5th – wife’s work Christmas party

23rd – going to a Christmas / family obligation after work
24th – going to a Christmas / family obligation after work
25th – celebrating Christmas with the wife
25 – going to a Christmas celebration

….I despise this time of year. Seriously…4 MF Christmas get togethers? Retarded.
Bring on the new year already.

Iowanian
12-04-2009, 10:02 AM
No matter how bad it seems, someone else has it worse.

Find something positive to focus on, and even if you don't have money, there are things you can do for other people that I guarantee will make you feel better about yourself. Help an elderly neighbor hang their Christmas lights, scoop someone's snow before they wake up.

Find an adult group home for the handicapped or a recreation program in which they participate and volunteer. I guarantee you'll never leave a flag football game with 20 people with Downs in a bad mood.

Fat Elvis
12-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Somebody needs a Christian side hug........

Touch elbows...it is the flu season....

Bearcat
12-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Here’s my awesome (sarcasm) holiday schedule for ‘celebrating’

4th – work Christmas party
5th – wife’s work Christmas party

23rd – going to a Christmas / family obligation after work
24th – going to a Christmas / family obligation after work
25th – celebrating Christmas with the wife
25 – going to a Christmas celebration

….I despise this time of year. Seriously…4 MF Christmas get togethers? Retarded.
Bring on the new year already.

You might meet cool people and drink from an open bar and eat free food! :cuss:

Dayze
12-04-2009, 10:22 AM
You might meet cool people and drink from an open bar and eat free food! :cuss:

the first two parties; nope. in fact, the first one no alcohol.
plus, both are work related and 8 hours of them is enough for me. no desire to socialize with them after work.

the 23rd and 24th engagements irritate me because the people attending/throwing them etc all have the week off of work. I'll be the only MF there who has to work the day of, and next day etc.

I really hate this time of year. I wish I could spend it in cancun on the beach away from all the Chrstmas sh*t, family drama etc.

Demonpenz
12-04-2009, 10:29 AM
if there is a function where I don't want to go too, I ususally don't, I always end up saying something I am not supposed to, or I end up being a jerk for being tired and annoyed. Skip it life is too short.

stevieray
12-04-2009, 10:32 AM
if there is a function where I don't want to go too, I ususally don't, I always end up saying something I am not supposed to, or I end up being a jerk for being tired and annoyed. Skip it life is too short.
....tooche'

Dayze
12-04-2009, 10:32 AM

i'm constantly balancing this; saying 'no' to these thigns, or dealing with the family fallout for the next 6 months.

family drama - it's what Christmas is made of!

Demonpenz
12-04-2009, 10:38 AM
although I do have to say this. We had our thanksgiving at Ryans buffet, which was you know not for the wealthy. So I get there and it is a mad house of children and wal mart class people (myself included) i was really pissed and annoyed had to wait in line forever then wait in the buffet line forever everyone was crammed grossly, I was almost ready to leave and say fuck it, but i'll be damned if I didn't try some of their fried chicken and gravy and and it wasn't pretty damn good LMAO

Demonpenz
12-04-2009, 10:40 AM
i'm constantly balancing this; saying 'no' to these thigns, or dealing with the family fallout for the next 6 months.

family drama - it's what Christmas is made of!

I would talk to them about what makes you happy and try to balance it. If your family gives a shit if you are happy they wouldn't want you stressed out.

Dayze
12-04-2009, 10:40 AM
I call Ryan's "The Trough" (i think that's how you spell it); we went there a few months back for the first time in nearly a decade and WOW....there were some seriously obese people there.

...food was good though.
:D

Dayze
12-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I would talk to them about what makes you happy and try to balance it. If your family gives a shit if you are happy they wouldn't want you stressed out.

it's not on my side of the family *nudge nudge wink wink*.
...that's the problem. It's an unwinable battle. Like the battle of the Chiefs finding a franchise QB

Bearcat
12-04-2009, 10:43 AM
the first two parties; nope. in fact, the first one no alcohol.
plus, both are work related and 8 hours of them is enough for me. no desire to socialize with them after work.

the 23rd and 24th engagements irritate me because the people attending/throwing them etc all have the week off of work. I'll be the only MF there who has to work the day of, and next day etc.

I really hate this time of year. I wish I could spend it in cancun on the beach away from all the Chrstmas sh*t, family drama etc.

Eh, wasn't trying to be a dick, it was just the first thing that came to mind after reading some of the other posts on this thread. Like others said, it would be much easier to deal with if other people just calmed the f*** down and would do what they want, and enjoy the parties and get-togethers, instead of using guilt to bring people together and worry about who's getting what for whom, etc.

Fortunately, my family is pretty laid back, and even if I do get a guilt trip, I just don't care. As for work, I travel so much and telecommute, so it's actually nice to go and catch up... but it's in Omaha, so it's 50/50 at the moment.

Bearcat
12-04-2009, 10:47 AM
although I do have to say this. We had our thanksgiving at Ryans buffet, which was you know not for the wealthy. So I get there and it is a mad house of children and wal mart class people (myself included) i was really pissed and annoyed had to wait in line forever then wait in the buffet line forever everyone was crammed grossly, I was almost ready to leave and say **** it, but i'll be damned if I didn't try some of their fried chicken and gravy and and it wasn't pretty damn good LMAO

I worked at Golden Corral in high school, and that place was crazy on Thanksgiving... herding sheep. The one Thanksgiving I worked, we closed at like 3, and people were actually bitching about it..... oh, that's crap, you're closing before dinner!?!?!. I had to tell a few people that I had been there since 6am and thought it was nice that I'd get the evening off to spend with family, and they were still pissed.

Happy Holidays! We're getting new salt licks soon, see you next year!

Dayze
12-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Eh, wasn't trying to be a dick, it was just the first thing that came to mind after reading some of the other posts on this thread. Like others said, it would be much easier to deal with if other people just calmed the f*** down and would do what they want, and enjoy the parties and get-togethers, instead of using guilt to bring people together and worry about who's getting what for whom, etc.

Fortunately, my family is pretty laid back, and even if I do get a guilt trip, I just don't care. As for work, I travel so much and telecommute, so it's actually nice to go and catch up... but it's in Omaha, so it's 50/50 at the moment.

yup; I got ya.
believe me...first thing that came to my mind too. lol.

Demonpenz
12-04-2009, 10:52 AM
it's not on my side of the family *nudge nudge wink wink*.
...that's the problem. It's an unwinable battle. Like the battle of the Chiefs finding a franchise QB

for better or worse.....or just for the pussy