PDA

View Full Version : Music I'm listening to In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida on the music channel

Rain Man
12-03-2009, 11:54 PM
I had no idea it was that long, and that it makes so many creative divergences. The part on now sounds like a bunch of pterodactyls screeching in the distance.

Hammock Parties
12-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Would have been a better song if it was shorter.

Bugeater
12-03-2009, 11:59 PM
This, it's too damn long, I'm not sure if I've ever listened to it in its entirety.

ClevelandBronco
12-04-2009, 12:05 AM
It's a good "D.J. has to take a crap" track.

Rain Man
12-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I think there was about 15 minutes in the middle that I could have lived without. Parts of it are really good, though.

KcMizzou
12-04-2009, 12:20 AM
I was told it was meant to be "In the Garden of Eden", but they got drunk and drugged up.. and we ended up with In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, instead.

Truth? Or urban legend?

"Bob" Dobbs
12-04-2009, 12:23 AM
I was told it was meant to be "In the Garden of Eden", but they got drunk and drugged up.. and we ended up with In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, instead.

Truth? Or urban legend?From what I understand, it's true.

KcMizzou
12-04-2009, 12:26 AM
From what I understand, it's true.Now we know who stole Rain Man's bike.

"Bob" Dobbs
12-04-2009, 12:41 AM
It's a good "D.J. has to take a crap" track.Back in the day, the ULTIMATE "take a crap" song was Pink Floyd - Echoes. All 22:30 (or so) of it.

Slainte
12-04-2009, 01:38 AM
I've enjoyed some extended-length rock tracks, like the above-mentioned Echoes. Close To The Edge by Yes comes to mind as well. But In-A-Gadda is a bit too much for me. Is the the studio cut or a live version I believe I once heard that has a drum solo in the middle? I always thought drum solos suck anyway and that one in particular literally defines the word interminable...

Bugeater
12-04-2009, 01:53 AM
I've enjoyed some extended-length rock tracks, like the above-mentioned Echoes. Close To The Edge by Yes comes to mind as well. But In-A-Gadda is a bit too much for me. Is the the studio cut or a live version I believe I once heard that has a drum solo in the middle? I always thought drum solos suck anyway and that one in particular literally defines the word interminable...
I don't recall there being two different versions of In-a-Gadda, but I do know the live version of Space Truckin' by Deep Purple (20:02) has a brutally long drum solo in it, are you sure you're not thinking of that?

cdcox
12-04-2009, 02:06 AM
No, In-a-gada-da-vida definitely has a significant drum solo.

Slainte
12-04-2009, 02:07 AM
I don't recall there being two different versions of In-a-Gadda, but I do know the live version of Space Truckin' by Deep Purple (20:02) has a brutally long drum solo in it, are you sure you're not thinking of that?

No, I don't think I've ever heard that Deep Puple song. More I think about it, I'm sure it was a live version of In-A-Gadda I once heard on the radio, maybe on on of those King Buscuit Flower Hour type shows. I clearly remember that solo and thinking this must be a test of the limits of my endurance...

Psyko Tek
12-04-2009, 02:13 AM

if it was shorter,
would it be famous?

Mr. Flopnuts
12-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Rush 2112 in it's entirety is over 20 minutes.

Slainte
12-04-2009, 02:26 AM
A commonly related story says that the song's title was originally "In The Garden Of Eden" but at one point in the course of rehearsing and recording, singer Doug Ingle became intoxicated and slurred the words, creating the mondegreen that stuck as the title. However, the liner notes on 'the best of' CD compilation state that drummer Ron Bushy was listening to the track through headphones, and couldn't clearly distinguish what Doug Ingle answered when Ron asked him for the title of the song (which was originally "In-The-Garden-Of-Eden"). An alternate explanation, as given in the liner notes of the 1995 re-release of the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album, is that Ingle was drunk and/or high when he first told Bushy the title, and Bushy wrote it down. Bushy then showed Ingle what he had written, and the slurred title stuck.

The song features a memorable, "endless, droning minor-key riff,"[3] a guitar and bass ostinato, which is repeated throughout nearly the entire length of the song. It is also used as the basis for extended organ and guitar solos, which are interrupted in the middle by an extended drum solo, one of the first such solos on a rock record and one of the most famous in rock. What made this particular drum solo unique was its surreal tribal sound. Bushy removed the bottom heads from his tom-toms to give them less of a resonant tone, and during the recording process, the drum tracks were subjected to a process known as flanging, producing a slow, swirling sound. It's then followed by Doug Ingle's ethereal polyphonic organ solo (which resembles variations on "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen") to the accompaniment of drums (beginning around 9:20 into the piece). There are then interludes in cut time and a reprise of the original theme and vocals.

Live version

A live version reaching over 19 minutes long was released as part of their 1969 live album. This version, however, has evidence of heavy editing from the actual live recording. The guitar solo, for example, seems to have been recorded in a studio or somewhere else where there was no audience in attendance. The live version also lengthens the drums solo by roughly four minutes and the organ solo by about one minute. The version also omits the bass and drum solo jam (heard from 13:04–15:19 on the studio recording). The version that was edited and released as a single omits the instrumental solos and leaves roughly three minutes of music.

I love this little nugget:

In later years, band members claimed that the track was produced by legendary Long Island producer George "Shadow" Morton, who earlier had supervised the recordings of the band Vanilla Fudge. Morton subsequently stated in several interviews that he had agreed to do so at the behest of Atlantic Records chief Ahmet Ertegun, but he also allowed that he was drinking heavily at the time and that his actual oversight of the recording was minimal.[citation needed] Neither Casale nor Morton receives credit on the album.

AustinChief
12-04-2009, 03:14 AM
#1 yes, it was originally meant to be "In the Garden of Eden"
#2 Thick as a Brick is a better "long" rock song. radio edit = 5 minutes actual song=43 minutes.

Funny thing is... was done as a spoof of YES and ELP "concept albums" but was infinitely more successful.

HemiEd
12-04-2009, 03:39 AM
I am fairly certain there are two versions, as I paid for the download on iTunes and got the shorter version. :mad:
Iron Butterfly/Strawberry Alarm Clock was the first concert I attended, down in Myrtle Beach.

Slainte
12-04-2009, 03:41 AM
#2 Thick as a Brick is a better "long" rock song. radio edit = 5 minutes actual song=43 minutes.

Funny thing is... was done as a spoof of YES and ELP "concept albums"

Agreeden. I remember that Brick was done as a reaction to the critics who had called Aqualung a concept album. So Ian Anderson decided to give them a *real* concept album with Thick As A Brick, which is purposely overblown and pretentious...

Slainte
12-04-2009, 03:41 AM
I am fairly certain there are two versions, as I paid for the download on iTunes and got the shorter version. :mad:
Iron Butterfly/Strawberry Alarm Clock was the first concert I attended, down in Myrtle Beach.

You must have d/loaded the single edit version...

seclark
12-04-2009, 07:51 AM
they play a lot of nice long songs down at alice's restaurant.
sec

Nzoner
12-04-2009, 08:11 AM
The part on now sounds like a bunch of pterodactyls screeching in the distance.

When I was a very young child my Uncle told me a story that apparently went with the song and I'll paraphrase....

Partygoers having a great time and then one of them passes out and is thought to be dead by the others.Funeral and march takes place(slower organ solo).During the ceremony dude in casket wakes up,screeching you describe is the scratching on the casket lid from the inside and ultimately the opening of the casket.Partygoers are very happy to see friend is still alive and big party starts again,the end.

Radar Chief
12-04-2009, 08:11 AM
I had no idea it was that long, and that it makes so many creative divergences. The part on now sounds like a bunch of pterodactyls screeching in the distance.

Yea, if you’re listening to the entire song you’ll be there a while.

Slainte
12-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Longplayer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Longplayer is a piece of music that is designed to last for one thousand years. It started to play on 1 January 2000 and if all goes to plan will continue without repetition until 31 December 2999, at which point it will restart at the beginning.[1]

Longplayer is based on an existing piece of music, 20 minutes and 20 seconds in length, which is processed by computer using a simple algorithm. This gives a large number of variations, which, when played consecutively, gives a total runtime of 1000 years.

The original music was composed by Jem Finer, who was also one of the founding members of the group The Pogues. It uses Tibetan singing bowls and gongs, which are able to create a range of sounds by either striking or rolling pieces of wood around the rims. This source music was recorded in December 1999.

Longplayer could be heard in the relaxation zone of the Millennium Dome in London during its year of opening in 2000. The piece was also played in the 19th century lighthouse at Trinity Buoy Wharf and other public listening posts in the United Kingdom, United States, Australia and Egypt, where it can still be heard today.[2] It can now also be heard via an Internet stream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longplayer

http://longplayer.org/where/

MahiMike
12-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Blasphemy! It's a classic and should never be shortened!

RippedmyFlesh
12-04-2009, 08:49 AM
You had to be doing a lot of drugs at the time it came out to sit through the whole thing.

sparkky
12-04-2009, 08:56 AM
I think I'm guilty of massacreing many a gaggle of brain cells to that tune.
I can't remember for sure tho.

RippedmyFlesh
12-04-2009, 09:05 AM
I think I'm guilty of massacreing many a gaggle of brain cells to that tune.
I can't remember for sure tho.
:bong:Millions of us did.

Nzoner
12-04-2009, 09:08 AM
This, it's too damn long, I'm not sure if I've ever listened to it in its entirety.

No,your attention span is too damn short.

siberian khatru
12-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Procul Harum - In Held Twas in I 17:31
Yes - Close to the Edge 18:43
Yes - The Revealing Science of God 20:25*
Yes - The Remembering 20:38*
Yes - The Ancient 18:35*
Yes - Ritual 21:37*
Yes - Gates of Delirium 21:50
Genesis - Supper's Ready 22:54
ELP - Tarkus 20:35
ELP - Karn Evil 9 29:37
Porcupine Tree - The Incident 55:15

* "Tales From Topographic Oceans"

RippedmyFlesh
12-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Procul Harum - In Held Twas in I 17:31
Yes - Close to the Edge 18:43
Yes - The Revealing Science of God 20:25*
Yes - The Remembering 20:38*
Yes - The Ancient 18:35*
Yes - Ritual 21:37*
Yes - Gates of Delirium 21:50
Genesis - Supper's Ready 22:54
ELP - Tarkus 20:35
ELP - Karn Evil 9 29:37
Porcupine Tree - The Incident 55:15

* "Tales From Topographic Oceans"

King crimson had some long tunes too.
Lizard 22:24.
Loved In the court of the crimson king one of the few things from that time that I can still listen to today.

Iowanian
12-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I can remember my mom putting on a 45 of Inna-gotta....when she was cleaning the house when i was little.

I never really liked the song, I preferred Dad's best-of record that had "Dead Skunk" on it....but That song will always make me think of my mom in an old Belton number shirt throwing furniture around with 1 arm and a vacuum with the other in between "knock it off, boys"..

siberian khatru
12-04-2009, 10:13 AM
King crimson had some long tunes too.
Lizard 22:24.
Loved In the court of the crimson king one of the few things from that time that I can still listen to today.

:thumb:

I had forgotten Lizard was that long, probably because I'm not real fond of that album. I tend to think of the individual "movements" in that song rather than take it as a whole.

stevieray
12-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Zep's Dazed and Confused is 26 minutes on The Song Remains The Same

CosmicPal
12-04-2009, 11:51 AM
"Mountain Jam" by the Allman Brothers is over a half hour long. The song is from their classic "Each a Peach" album. It is an awesome free-style jam.

siberian khatru
12-04-2009, 11:55 AM
"Mountain Jam" by the Allman Brothers is over a half hour long. The song is from their classic "Each a Peach" album. It is an awesome free-style jam.

And I just listened to that this week. How could I forget?

Slainte
12-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd (23:44)
Shine On You Crazy diamond - Pink Floyd (26:01) -"Split in half" for the LP
Celebration Of The Lizard - Doors (14:28)
Sister Ray - Velvet Underground (17:27)
Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield (48:53)
Autobahn - Kraftwerk (22:41)

There's others, of course. That's some I know that haven't been mentioned. As well, The Orb had some epic song that I can't recall the name of and don't care to look up.

Reaper16
12-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Green Carnation's "Light of Day, Day of Darkness" is a great song, very engaging throughout, that clocks in at 1 hour, 6 seconds.

MOhillbilly
12-04-2009, 01:10 PM
It's a good "D.J. has to take a crap" track.

FREEEEEEEE-----BIIIIRRRDDD!!!!!!!

Radar Chief
12-04-2009, 01:25 PM
So have you reached the end of the song yet? ;)