PDA

View Full Version : Misc Tree Lots - Switching to a real tree

jiveturkey
12-04-2009, 10:03 AM
I'm sick of putting together the fake tree every year and most of the color coded posts have worn off anyway. So the Jiveturkey family is switching to a real tree.

Does anyone know of any good tree lots in South Overland Park? I have a Home Depot close by but I wouldn't feel right buying a tree from there.

kepp
12-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Be careful...
http://blog.nola.com/mikescott/2008/11/large_Lampoon.JPG

Rain Man
12-04-2009, 10:31 AM
There's nothing more festive than cutting a living thing and letting it slowly die in your living room over the course of a month, slowly feeding it water to keep it alive for just a ... little ... bit ... longer.

Lzen
12-04-2009, 10:32 AM
We have been getting trees from Lowe's for the past few years. They seems to have pretty decent trees.

Ronnie Cruz
12-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Be careful...
http://blog.nola.com/mikescott/2008/11/large_Lampoon.JPG

:D

That movie is basically on loop at my house this time of year.

I could never do the fake tree thing. My whole life it's been the real deal, and it's a pretty integral part of Christmas for your living room to smell like dying pine needles, imo.

Hydrae
12-04-2009, 10:35 AM
There's nothing more festive than cutting a living thing and letting it slowly die in your living room over the course of a month, slowly feeding it water to keep it alive for just a ... little ... bit ... longer.

When we were in Columbia we did this every year. No tree farms anywhere near where we live now so we just do the fake tree. Less work and cost in the long run.

Simply Red
12-04-2009, 10:44 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2q3vtk6.jpg

SLAG
12-04-2009, 10:53 AM
i was thinking about doing the same thing...

sparkky
12-04-2009, 10:53 AM
I think a lot of the neighborhoods in JoCo have nice trees in the yards.
just take a handsaw and go "late night shopping."
be patient and you can easily find one already decorated and with lights. I'd make sure they are all working tho. it sucks troubleshooting Christmas lights.

Demonpenz
12-04-2009, 10:54 AM
We have a fake one, but I have been Pine-ing for a real one for years

SLAG
12-04-2009, 11:01 AM
We have a fake one, but I have been Pine-ing for a real one for years

boo hiss

you can do better than that buddy.. I know ya can

MOhillbilly
12-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Ive told this before i think....anyway.

When i was a kid we'd go to a christmas tree farm somewhere around Billings. So we'd go cut our tree. Then on the way home my parents would stop at The Bank Bar in Billings MO.
It was run by this old one eyed barkeep named Cecil, w/ Cecil you didnt misplace your beer glass cause he didnt wash glasses or give out new ones.
When Cecil wanted to go home be it 8pm or 12am he'd kick everyone out and go home.
It was a bona fide honky tonk.
My mom and dad would get lubed up and we'd head home and decorate the tree...
fond memories of youth....

alpha_omega
12-04-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't know about south OP, but we have been buying our real trees at True Value hardware for the last few years. Nice trees, good price. 7 foot Fraser Fir for $49.00

Dartgod
12-04-2009, 12:56 PM
I have a Home Depot close by but I wouldn't feel right buying a tree from there.
We've bought our tree from Home Depot the last couple of years and will again. I can get a 6-8 foot frasier fir for $35. You won't find one at any lot that I know of for that cheap.

BTW, I will never own an artificial tree.

38yrsfan
12-04-2009, 01:12 PM
They grow all around here ... a little hiking with the kids and a chainsaw, pick it, cut it, they haul it and I enjoy a warming beverage. :) fun times.

Hydrae
12-04-2009, 01:20 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2q3vtk6.jpg

I always wanted a Christmas tree like that. Imagine how nice the house would smell! :)

jiveturkey
12-04-2009, 02:02 PM
We went to Home Depot and got a 9' douglas fir for $27.

The cat has already started fucking with it.

ClevelandBronco
12-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Fresh, well-tended trees are the best. See if you can find a formal garden in your area and help yourself.

Inspector
12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Last time we used a live tree, my neighbor got really pissed about having to replant shrubs in front of his house.

SLAG
12-05-2010, 09:05 AM
@Simply Red

How did that tree work out for you last year?

jspchief
12-05-2010, 09:36 AM
I think a lot of the neighborhoods in JoCo have nice trees in the yards.
just take a handsaw and go "late night shopping."
be patient and you can easily find one already decorated and with lights. I'd make sure they are all working tho. it sucks troubleshooting Christmas lights.Be careful with this though. What looks like an ideal tree in the great outdoors may end up being the size of a minivan once you get it inside. Speaking from experience.

Tylerthigpen!1!
12-05-2010, 09:57 AM
My childhood memories of real trees consist of cleaning up pine needles for days after we got rid of that mother.

Smed1065
12-05-2010, 10:16 AM
@Simply Red

How did that tree work out for you last year?

Like he would remember!

rockymtnchief
12-05-2010, 10:21 AM
My childhood memories of real trees consist of cleaning up pine needles for days after we got rid of that mother.

This...and the cat eating tinsel. Then the tinsel making a high pitch squeal as my mom pulled the tail end of the tinsel out of the cats ass.

allen_kcCard
12-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Talk of real Christmas trees always reminds me of my uncle trying to find one out in the woods years ago.

His kids had just gotten old enough to be into it, so they loaded up in their SUV with a chainsaw and went looking.

Looked around for a few hours and finally found the right tree, pulled out the chainsaw......and it would't start. He fiddled with it for another hour or so, but it wouldn't fire up.

So he started looking around in the SUV for something to cut it down, and luckily, with the close timing with deer season, he had the next best thing to cut down a small pine tree.....his deer rifle.

Took several shots, but he bagged his tree.