PDA

View Full Version : Life How do I tell my kids that our dog is dead?

TinyEvel
12-04-2009, 03:54 PM
It's been a rough 12 hours.

last night our dog Josie (small Shepard mix who's been in the family 11 years) was all of a sudden extremely catatonic and panting on her side. Her head was twitching and eyes shut. We took her to the animal emergency room around midnight and admitted her. Diagnosis was that she was bleeding in her eyes and gums and her blood had only 1 percent the platelets it should have.

Without the ability to clot, she had developed internal bleeding. There was blood filling her head and causing neurological damage form pressure on her brain. Today it got worse and we made a tough, difficult decision to euthanize her.

24 hours ago she was 100 percent normal.
This has come so sudden and so difficultly. Our kids are 8 and 9 and we haven't told them. They don't even know we took her to the hospital yet, but they saw her sick last night.

I'm sure some of you have gone through pet loss with kids. Just looking for some tips. We're supposed to go get a Christmas tree tonight after school. Do I tell them first? afterward? I cannot believe we'll be able to do it without us crying. my wife for sure.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-04-2009, 03:56 PM
You did the right thing.

I would be upfront and open with them. They will take it hard when ever you tell them. Better to get it done, and then maybe you can go somewhere quiet and have a "memorial service" in her honor and get your tree.

CaliforniaChief
12-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Sorry to hear, man.

My advice is to be direct. Tell them you did everything you could, let them see how hard it is for you, and expect a rough night. Crying in front of them is fine.

MoreLemonPledge
Find a dog that looks just like her and replace her. It works on every sitcom ever.

Demonpenz
Tell them the pet died and it's apart of life. That's why you have to enjoy the time with them because it is not long. It's ok to be sad, but if you want to cheer yourself up close your eyes and remember the times when you were playing with the dog.

Frazod
12-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Sorry to hear, man.

My advice is to be direct. Tell them you did everything you could, let them see how hard it is for you, and expect a rough night. Crying in front of them is fine.

This, and a new puppy for Christmas.

Jenson71
12-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Tell them the pet died and it's apart of life. That's why you have to enjoy the time with them because it is not long. It's ok to be sad, but if you want to cheer yourself up close your eyes and remember the times when you were playing with the dog.

:spock:

mikeyis4dcats.
12-04-2009, 03:59 PM

and then introduce them to Airwolf on Hulu. Stringfellow Hawke will dry their tears...

scorpio
12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
My dad told me my dog died while we were at Disneyland. I was 9. You can't do much worse than that.

Buck
12-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Damn man, sorry for your loss.

I don't think I'd have the heart to and I'd tell them she ran away.

Demonpenz
12-04-2009, 04:01 PM
and then introduce them to Airwolf on Hulu. Stringfellow Hawke will dry their tears...

:( I had dogs airwolf and blue thunder and mimi from riptide

mikeyis4dcats.
12-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Damn man, sorry for your loss.

I don't think I'd have the heart to and I'd tell them she ran away.

can't do that, then they'd always be looking for her.

My buddy told his kids their dog went to the farm to live. They kept asking to go visit.

chiefzilla1501
12-04-2009, 04:02 PM

last night our dog Josie (small Shepard mix who's been in the family 11 years) was all of a sudden extremely catatonic and panting on her side. Her head was twitching and eyes shut. We took her to the animal emergency room around midnight and admitted her. Diagnosis was that she was bleeding in her eyes and gums and her blood had only 1 percent the platelets it should have.

Without the ability to clot, she had developed internal bleeding. There was blood filling her head and causing neurological damage form pressure on her brain. Today it got worse and we made a tough, difficult decision to euthanize her.

This has come so sudden and so difficultly. Our kids are 8 and 9 and we haven't told them. They don't even know we took her to the hospital yet, but they saw her sick last night.

I'm sure some of you have gone through pet loss with kids. Just looking for some tips. We're supposed to go get a Christmas tree tonight after school. Do I tell them first? afterward? I cannot believe we'll be able to do it without us crying. my wife for sure.

Sorry to hear this, man. Don't know the answer, but I feel for you.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Sorry about your dog, Bro.

The answer to your question is:

A new puppy.

Buck
In reality, I would say this.

"Today we took Josie to the doctor because she looked very sick and the doctor said there was nothing we could do so we had to put her down."

I think thats the best way to word it.

kstater
Sucks to hear Tiny.

8 and 9? Might as well get the birds and the bees done at the same time and get all the awkward conversation done at one time.

I like the idea of puppy for Christmas. You and your wife might find it hard, but the kids will have a much easier time with another dog.

gblowfish
12-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Tell them the truth. No way to sugar coat it. She got very sick, and didn't want her to suffer any longer.

I've had to put a pet to sleep before. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do.
Hang in there, TL...

Stewie
12-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Tell them the truth. She was extremely sick and you couldn't stand to see her suffer.

Frazod
12-04-2009, 04:07 PM
can't do that, then they'd always be looking for her.

My buddy told his kids their dog went to the farm to live. They kept asking to go visit.

You know, it never occurred to me until now, but we had a dachshund when I was a little kid, and my mom told me she gave it to some people who lived out in the country so it would have more room to run and could play with other dogs. But it didn't like other dogs, and it was a friggin dachshund - seriously, how much room does a dachshund need? And we never went to visit it, either.

Mom was apparently a great liar, because it's taken me about 35 years to figure this one out.

teedubya
12-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Tell them Mangino ate it.

The Franchise
12-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Sucks to hear Tiny.

8 and 9? Might as well get the birds and the bees done at the same time and get all the awkward conversation done at one time.

I like the idea of puppy for Christmas. You and your wife might find it hard, but the kids will have a much easier time with another dog.

Kids....fluffy died this morning. Whoooo...now that that is over with...let's talk about sex. :clap:

Buck
12-04-2009, 04:09 PM
You know, it never occurred to me until now, but we had a dachshund when I was a little kid, and my mom told me she gave it to some people who lived out in the country so it would have more room to run and could play with other dogs. But it didn't like other dogs, and it was a friggin dachshund - seriously, how much room does a dachshund need? And we never went to visit it, either.

Mom was apparently a great liar, because it's taken me about 35 years to figure this one out.

Sorry for your loss.

El Jefe
12-04-2009, 04:10 PM

Major suck man, sorry to hear. I lost my dog two years ago, she was a mini schanuzer also named Josie. I never cried so hard as the day she died.

InChiefsHeaven
12-04-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with letting them know that you helped her in her suffering by having her put down. It's a good way to explain that death happens and being merciful to end her suffering is a good thing.

That's the problem with dogs. You know they are going to die. My 'ol girl is 11 and she's getting up there. Starting to have a lot of problems, as old hound dogs will do. She's comfortable, but I'm not going to take extraordinary measures on her at her age. If she gets bad, I'll put her down.

...and then drink a lot. She's a damn good dog...

angelo
12-04-2009, 04:17 PM

My Doxie's need a lot of room.

There will be no easy way. Direct is best.
I am more sorry than you can know for your loss. I would not rush in to a new dog. In the spring time go to wayside waifs (or your local pound) and save a dogs life. You will not have to potty train in winter and you will be doing a good thing.

Ang

underEJ
12-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Sorry to hear that. The truth is hard, but best, and they will see your love and compassion. Maybe they can make some tree ornaments to remember her for the holiday, or you could just pick up some photo frame ornaments and let them pick out their favorite pictures to fill them.

My old girl (12 yr old shepherd mix) gave me a good scare last month but pulled through. I'm hoping she's good for another couple of years.

stevieray
12-04-2009, 04:19 PM
...with the promise of a new puppy?

Bugeater
12-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Just make sure this is playing loudly in the background when you tell them:

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZnHmskwqCCQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

talastan
12-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Sorry for you loss bro, I'd just be upfront with them. Let them know that Josie was sick and hurting and she is in a place where she'll be hurting no more. Let them and yourself cry it out if necessary, but still get the tree. This is the time of the year, whether hardships or not, to be close as a family. Good luck and God bless....

scorpio
12-04-2009, 04:31 PM

Had a turtle - who lived in an aquarium - in the basement, and my mom told me he ran away.

The Franchise
12-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Had a turtle - who lived in an aquarium - in the basement, and my mom told me he ran away.

And you believed her?

Mr. Laz
12-04-2009, 04:34 PM
RePet

Hammock Parties
12-04-2009, 04:38 PM
RePet

DAMMIT! I was gonna post this.

I sat with TinyE at a Chiefs game though so I'm not gonna make light of this.

Just tell them the truth. Losing my first dog hurt but I got over it and I remember the good times.

RJ
12-04-2009, 04:41 PM

My son is 31 and he just recently had the same revelation come to him. He calls me up one night and says "Hey, you didn't really take the dog to live on a ranch, did you?". I laughed my ass off.

Tiny, I agree it's best to be honest. Otherwise, you'll get called on it in 20 or so years. Maybe a little longer if your kids are like Frazod.

scorpio
12-04-2009, 04:43 PM
And you believed her?

I was like 5 and I didn't really have an emotional attachment to the turtle so I didn't think too much about it.

WebGem
12-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Find a dog that looks just like her and replace her. It works on every sitcom ever.

ROFL

BY1401
12-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Just tell them what happened and they'll be fine in the long run.

My dad didn't have to worry about what/how to tell us kids. He just put 'em down with his old .22 rifle. Wasn't much need for words after that.

rockymtnchief
12-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Sorry to hear that, buddy.

Just be honest.

Phobia
12-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Make a youtube video about it. That way other parents can use your strength to tell their kids under similar circumstances.

Phobia
12-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Just tell them what happened and they'll be fine in the long run.

My dad didn't have to worry about what/how to tell us kids. He just put 'em down with his old .22 rifle. Wasn't much need for words after that.

Yup. $.25 instead of $150.

Frazod
12-04-2009, 04:54 PM
My son is 31 and he just recently had the same revelation come to him. He calls me up one night and says "Hey, you didn't really take the dog to live on a ranch, did you?". I laughed my ass off.

Tiny, I agree it's best to be honest. Otherwise, you'll get called on it in 20 or so years. Maybe a little longer if your kids are like Frazod.

Thanks, asshole. :D

38yrsfan
12-04-2009, 05:15 PM
I have 3 kids and we are an "animal" family - we've had/have just about anything a pet store sells and even some "farm" animals. We have had many funerals.

Honesty is best. The tears are going to come no matter what but they will stop.

I'd wait until after getting the tree unless they ask ....

OnTheWarpath15
12-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Sorry for your loss, J.

Honesty is the best policy here.

Best of luck.

jidar
12-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Send em a text message.

KCChiefsMan
12-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Sorry about your dog, Bro.

The answer to your question is:

A new puppy.

new pets don't just replace old ones IMO

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-04-2009, 05:24 PM
new pets don't just replace old ones IMO

They do eventually.

KCChiefsMan
12-04-2009, 05:29 PM
They do eventually.

not if you loved your pet they don't

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-04-2009, 05:35 PM
not if you loved your pet they don't

New pets make it easier to go on, that's all I'm saying. It doesn't mean the new pet will replace the memories of the old pet.

Gonzo
12-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Send em a text message.

ROFL

You asshole.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
12-04-2009, 05:40 PM
a 17 year old cat of my parents crawled into a sewer yesterday. I hope he died immediately and he's not starving to death in the cold, because my parents didn't try to get him out. He was originally my cat but he outlived my stay

Dayze
12-04-2009, 05:41 PM
sorry dude. that sucks.

wont' be easy, that's for sure. Hopefully everythign goes as well as it 'can' given the situation.

TheGuardian
12-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Lots of people have already said what is right. Just tell them about what happened and explain it's the normal cycle of life.

With that said DO NOT get a new puppy until the grief has fully subsided because the new puppy will develop some bad character traits coming into a home with no pack leadership because everyone will be grieving and doting over the new puppy. Make sure and give everyone proper time to grieve and wait until that is over before getting a new dog.

TrebMaxx
12-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Sorry to hear that T.E. Be upfront and tell them.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Lots of people have already said what is right. Just tell them about what happened and explain it's the normal cycle of life.

With that said DO NOT get a new puppy until the grief has fully subsided because the new puppy will develop some bad character traits coming into a home with no pack leadership because everyone will be grieving and doting over the new puppy. Make sure and give everyone proper time to grieve and wait until that is over before getting a new dog.

Do not listen to the infidel; get a new dog.:p

CoMoChief
12-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Whenever my schanuzer died, I was here in CoMo and my dad was in KC.

He called me out of the blue...which i didnt think was normal, he didn't sound right. I knew already what had happened. But he was afraid to tell me, and just made up something as to why he called me. I was going on a date that night.....so I guess he didn't want to put me in a bad mood.

The next day he called me, crying saying sorry he lied to me and said that he put Sparky to sleep. once he called me I started tearing up because I already knew what it was about. It's one of them things where you just know or have a feeling. I was pissed at him.....I was only an hour 1/2 away, I wish he would have told me he was going to do it and I would have driven back to KC to go with him. Oh well.

SDChiefs
12-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Im sorry! It sucks losing a pet. I hope she didn't suffer too much. Good luck to you and your family and I hope, however you tell the kids goes according to plan.

38yrsfan
12-04-2009, 05:57 PM

I agree with this having experienced it both ways. A quick replacement leads to expectations of similarity and isn't fair to the new dog or respectful of the old.

Frazod
12-04-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't think anybody is advocating getting a new dog immediately, but I think you should do it fairly soon. IMO Christmas would be perfect. It's still early in the month at this point.

sparkky
12-04-2009, 06:22 PM
man,
I got no words of wisdom or advice. honesty, sincere talks and explanations is about all you can do.
I'm so sorry for ya man. and your kids.

Rain Man
12-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Sorry to hear that, tiny. It's a rough situation. Maybe the parents around here know better than me, but my initial hunch is that they'll be more resilient than the adults. I've unfortunately lost pets over the years, but I've felt the losses much more acutely as an adult than as a kid.

BigRedChief
12-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Sorry for your loss, J.

Honesty is the best policy here.

Best of luck.
Same here. Sorry for your loss.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-04-2009, 07:23 PM
That's truly terrible.

I'm very sorry.

Dogs are better than the vast majority of people out there. :(

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-04-2009, 07:24 PM
That's truly terrible.

I'm very sorry.

Dogs are better than the vast majority of people out there. :(

This.

bevischief
12-04-2009, 07:27 PM

That was my first thought...

Sorry to here and tell them and it will suck for a while...

bevischief
12-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Go rent old yeller...

JD10367
12-04-2009, 07:30 PM
A man went on vacation and asked his brother to watch his house, and take care of his cat, whom the man loved.

A few days later, he called his brother. "Hey! How's everything going?"

"Good," his brother said. "But the cat's dead."

"What? What do you mean, the cat's dead?!?"

"Sorry, man, it just died."

"Jesus, dude! You had to tell me like that?!?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, couldn't you break it to me a little easier? That was harsh!"

"How?"

"I dunno! Maybe the first time I talked to you, you could've said, 'The cat got out and is on the roof'. Then the next day you could've said, 'The cat fell off the roof'. Then the third day you could've said, 'The cat's not doing so good.' THEN you could've told me the cat died! You know, sort of ease me into it!"

"Oh, geez, bro, I'm sorry."

"That's okay, it was just a shock to hear you blurt it out like that." The man sighed. "So, anyway... how's ma?"

"Oh... she's on the roof."

Hey, don't blame me, my dad told me that one.

bevischief
12-04-2009, 07:33 PM
A man went on vacation and asked his brother to watch his house, and take care of his cat, whom the man loved.

"What do you mean?"

"How?"

"I dunno! Maybe the first time I talked to you, you could've said, 'The cat got out and is on the roof'. Then the next day you could've said, 'The cat fell off the roof'. Then the third day you could've said, 'The cat's not doing so good.' THEN you could've told me the cat died! You know, sort of ease me into it!"

"That's okay, it was just a shock to hear you blurt it out like that." The man sighed. "So, anyway... how's ma?"

Hey, don't blame me, my dad told me that one.

ROFL

ForeverChiefs58
12-04-2009, 07:37 PM
When I was a kid I got home from school and my dad was waiting for me with very serious look on his face. He told me to sit down that he had something to tell me. I was so nervous, then he said your mom is gone. I just started crying instantly, then he said he was just kidding, mom was fine, but the dog was gone. I was so relieved about my mom it made the dog news much easier to take. However, I can't recommend this approach.

JD10367
12-04-2009, 07:43 PM
When I was a kid I got home from school and my dad was waiting for me with very serious look on his face. He told me to sit down that he had something to tell me. I was so nervous, then he said your mom is gone. I just started crying instantly, then he said he was just kidding, mom was fine, but the dog was gone. I was so relieved about my mom it made the dog news much easier to take. However, I can't recommend this approach.

That's just sick.

Buy your dad a drink for me, he's awesome. LMAO

teedubya
12-04-2009, 07:44 PM
You could do it subtley.

You could take the Wizard of Oz... and when they cheer "Ding dong the witch is dead" at the end of the movie...

you could edit the audio. "Hey kids, your dog is dead". Then you don't have to tell them... the movie can tell them.

teedubya
12-04-2009, 07:48 PM
I might of told them that Hannah Montana murdered your dog. Her or Sammy Kershaw. That way your kids grow up to hate country music.

ForeverChiefs58
12-04-2009, 07:49 PM
That's just sick.

Buy your dad a drink for me, he's awesome. LMAO

He def has a way with telling things. When my parents got divorced after 30 years of marriage, he told me he was leaving because mom stopped putting out.

Chieftain58
12-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Get them some new dogs

Stinger
12-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Gather kids in a room and ask "All those here with a dog name Josie please step forward." And just about as they are halfway in stepping forward you say "Not so fast Kids".

........ Sorry for you loss......

In serious terms it sucks for you and them. Them for the loss but double for you and your wife because of the loss and then you have to see the kids deal with hurt. For a parent that is the worse thing because you can't do anything about it. On the positive side though this is a good life lesson (morbid thought I know) but one of let us as a family enjoy what we have today...... Good luck and you and your wife will find the correct way for them.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-04-2009, 08:08 PM
You should tell them the dogs turned mad and went into their room and started to destroy all their toys and you had no choice but to shoot them. that way they'll say thanks Dad.

TinyEvel
12-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Well, I did it.

We took them to yogurt after school and I told them. I said I had some bad news to tell them. I told them about what happened. I didn't tell them we euthanized her, just said she fell asleep at the hospital and succumbed to her illness and died. My 9 year-old cried pretty severely, which is OK.

Honesty is the best policy, as long as you don't go into too much detail. I think the worst part of this, for all of us, has been how quickly it happened. less than 24 hours from completely normal to gone.

I told the kids the story of how we got Josie. I was volunteering at a no-kill shelter, installing some cabinets in a room of surplus cat pens. There was a small Shephard mix up in one of the cat pens, quietly and attentively watching me work. We had never talked about getting a pet, but I went home and told my wife we should adopt this one. Somehow she touched my heart.

Her name was "Benny" because when the person brought her in as a stray the shelter was going to turn her away because every dog pen was full. Well, one of their biggest benefactors happened to be in the lobby. He said, "You're going to take her, no matter where she has to stay, and he wrote them a big donation check.
That man was Ben Stein.

We renamed her Josie because we already had two cats. Josie and the Pussycats.

Maybe I'll name our next dog Buehler.

Thanks for listening guys.

TE

Frazod
12-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Well, I did it.

We took them to yogurt after school and I told them. I said I had some bad news to tell them. I told them about what happened. I didn't tell them we euthanized her, just said she fell asleep at the hospital and succumbed to her illness and died. My 9 year-old cried pretty severely, which is OK.

Honesty is the best policy, as long as you don't go into too much detail. I think the worst part of this, for all of us, has been how quickly it happened. less than 24 hours from completely normal to gone.

I told the kids the story of how we got Josie. I was volunteering at a no-kill shelter, installing some cabinets in a room of surplus cat pens. There was a small Shephard mix up in one of the cat pens, quietly and attentively watching me work. We had never talked about getting a pet, but I went home and told my wife we should adopt this one. Somehow she touched my heart.

Her name was "Benny" because when the person brought her in as a stray the shelter was going to turn her away because every dog pen was full. Well, one of their biggest benefactors happened to be in the lobby. He said, "You're going to take her, no matter where she has to stay, and he wrote them a big donation check.
That man was Ben Stein.

TE

Awesome story. Props to you and Ben Stein. :thumb:

C-Mac
12-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Well, I did it.

That man was Ben Stein.

TE

Truth with couth. Sounds like you handled a tough situation well, its never easy as a parent when your kids are emotionally hurting.

On a side note did the vet ever mention the possibility of her consuming rat poison?

TinyEvel
12-04-2009, 08:33 PM
On a side note did the vet ever mention the possibility of her consuming rat poison?

It came up at first when he was asking questions when we first brought her in, but after the blood tests came back that was ruled out.

C-Mac
12-04-2009, 08:40 PM
It came up at first when he was asking questions when we first brought her in, but after the blood tests came back that was ruled out.

Well they appeared to tell you what was happening but did they ever diagnose what would cause such to happen?
I've only heard of poisoning doing that kind of damage that quick.

cdcox
12-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Sorry for your loss, Tiny. The Ben Stein story was very cool. Lots of other good stories in this tread.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Good job TE, you handled that incredibly well.

TinyEvel
12-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Well they appeared to tell you what was happening but did they ever diagnose what would cause such to happen?
I've only heard of poisoning doing that kind of damage that quick.

Either the marrow stopped making the platelets or a disease was causing the immune system to destroy them. Possibly cancer. Possibly a tick-born disease that the test will come back in two days about. Every option required extensive examination/tests and she was so far gone at that point we wanted to give her peace. The thought has crossed my mind. I will call and ask again, on Monday.

Pioli Zombie
12-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I would have blamed it on Obama
Posted via Mobile Device

TinyEvel
12-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

No wonder you have red rep. :shake:

SenselessChiefsFan
12-04-2009, 09:41 PM
My dad told me my dog died while we were at Disneyland. I was 9. You can't do much worse than that.

Okay, so my father died, and my mom went off the deep end. I took her car to go see a girl (I was 14, but I had been driving since I was 12)

She took me to the hospital to have a drug test. When that came back negative, she had me held over for a psych evaluation. After the doctor met with her and I, he refused to let me go home with her until she started seeing a therapist. So, they put me in the psych ward at Shawnee Mission, and she was supposed to come and do counseling with me. Well, she didn't like coming to counseling because the doctor would often 'attack' her. (Her words).

So, I was in there six weeks, through the winter. My mother, who has always been kind of a partier and gambler, left my dog outside and it froze to death.

She told me over the phone as she was telling me that she wasn't going to continue her counseling. So, I spent another two months in there before they had to let me go because the insurance ran out.

That 'might' be worse than learning that your dog died at disneyland.

Fat Elvis
12-04-2009, 09:44 PM

"What do you mean?"

"How?"

Our pastor told us that joke in the sermon last Sunday.

Easy 6
12-04-2009, 09:44 PM
...with the promise of a new puppy?

Yep, the kids would move on very quickly.

Pioli Zombie
12-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I read a story somewhere, one of those "most embarrassing stories ever", from this woman whose dog came home with the neighbors bunny rabbit dead in his mouth. So she and her husband came up with the brilliant plan of sneaking over and putting the rabbit back in its cage. So they did it and ran back home, figuring the family would be sad by finding the rabbit dead but at least they wouldn't get in any trouble. A few hours they hear horrified shreiks. They run outside to find out why the hysteria. The mom says "Ginger died yesterday and we had buried her!!!!!!!!!"
Posted via Mobile Device

Oxford
12-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Well, I did it.

That man was Ben Stein.

TE

Sounds like your kids need to go to the shelter and experience being adopted by a dog.

Good job by the way with the bad news. Just put down my 12yr old rottweiler mix last month... know how you feel.

Pioli Zombie
12-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Has it been ruled out the possibilty that Jews did this?
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy 6
12-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Sounds like your kids need to go to the shelter and experience being adopted by a dog.

Thats a perfect way to phrase it, you can see a dogs personality instantly at the pound, its almost like the smart ones know whats at stake...

Red Beans
12-04-2009, 10:40 PM
First pour them a large glass of kool-aid....

Redrum_69
12-04-2009, 10:57 PM
if i were you I'd put that antifreeze out of reach....

88TG88
12-04-2009, 11:00 PM
That sucks bro, I would go for the new Christmas puppy route. Then you have an excuse to name him Santa's Little Helper.

88TG88
12-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Okay, so my father died, and my mom went off the deep end. I took her car to go see a girl (I was 14, but I had been driving since I was 12)

She took me to the hospital to have a drug test. When that came back negative, she had me held over for a psych evaluation. After the doctor met with her and I, he refused to let me go home with her until she started seeing a therapist. So, they put me in the psych ward at Shawnee Mission, and she was supposed to come and do counseling with me. Well, she didn't like coming to counseling because the doctor would often 'attack' her. (Her words).

So, I was in there six weeks, through the winter. My mother, who has always been kind of a partier and gambler, left my dog outside and it froze to death.

She told me over the phone as she was telling me that she wasn't going to continue her counseling. So, I spent another two months in there before they had to let me go because the insurance ran out.

JFC dude thats the saddest story I ever heard.

chasedude
12-04-2009, 11:09 PM

That is a horrible story! I think I would have disowned my mother after that.

chasedude
12-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think I've ever given out neg rep before. Congrats on being the first.

chasedude
12-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of a part of your family Tiny.

crazycoffey
12-04-2009, 11:29 PM
sup chase?

hard to do tiney, try to be truthful is my best advice. Let them cry, and try to get an understanding about life and death, it happens to us all someday. how indepth you go would of course depend on their ages.

Remindes me of a saying I like;
Life is a sexually transmitted desease with a 100% mortality rate....
I wouldn't say it that way to your kids though, LOL

memyselfI
12-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Honesty is the best way to go. They will cry but it's ok for them to do. It's ok for them to see you cry as well. It's a sad event but one they will experience over the course of their lifetimes.

Your beloved dog will provide the gift of being the first time they encounter death and grief. How you handle this news will set the tone for how they see death and grief in their lives. Your dog, in it's death, gave you an opportunity to have her legacy touch their lives for the rest of their lives. It's devastatingly hard and sad but it need not be hidden.

Let them be part of the process.

If you saw Marley and Me then you saw their family have a small ceremony and the kids drew pictures and wrote letters to their dog and then they buried the ashes. We did this with our cat and it really helped everyone deal with the death part. The missing them part is what has been hard.

joesomebody
12-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Very sorry for your loss. I would suggest being completely open and honest. It's not good to go with the whole, we took her to a farm to be happy line.

It will be tough, but honesty is the best policy. Have a memorial so you and your kids can say good bye.

Also, try rescuing a pup from the pound for Christmas. You can't replace your last friend, but it helps the healing process a lot to have a new dog to take care of and love.

bevischief
12-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

d#$% gov't healthcare...

bevischief
12-05-2009, 09:44 AM

That's messed up, sorry to hear.

bevischief
12-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Well, I did it.

That man was Ben Stein.

TE

I had to put my 11 year old yellow lab down here about a year and half ago, (we have no kids) to cancer he lasted about a week after they figured out what was going on, 2 choices spend thousands of dollars to and he might live another month or we can make him comfortable he might last a couple weeks. After about a week he was so weak miserable he made the call to put him down. A few weeks later I started placing my name on adoption lists at several shelters around town for when I ready I wouldn't have to wait long for the back ground checks. Long story short we ended up with our 2nd Basset and about 6 months latter we got a 3rd one.

LaChapelle
12-05-2009, 10:09 AM
The bitch ran off with the junk yard dog from across town. If you want to visit her you'll have to take a cab to the trailer park.

Dartgod
12-05-2009, 10:26 AM
The douchebaggery is strong in this thread. :shake:

Sorry for your loss, Tiny. Dogs are good people.

Fairplay
12-05-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't think I've ever given out neg rep before. Congrats on being the first.

I think he is use to it.

KC Jones
12-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-05-2009, 10:46 AM
That is a horrible story! I think I would have disowned my mother after that.

I am a Christian, and I will admit the one commandment that I struggle with the most is: Honor thy father and mother.

I have no issues honoring my father, he was a good man. My mother, on the other hand..... even now, she doesn't hold down steady work. She blames everyone else in the entire world for her problems and uses anyone who will let her.

She lives on public assistance though she could easily get and hold down a job. She is just too lazy to do so. She sued Nebraska Furniture mart and got a settlement, and blew that money in less than a year.

I didn't even go into how she spent the money my dad set aside for my college education... and I didn't find out until the second half of my senior year.

Chief Henry
12-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Loosing your family pet is absolutley brutal. We lost our dog several years ago. I spilled my guts on this board and many responded in kind with kind words.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I don't have any advice for you on speaking with your kids.
We didn't have children when our dog died.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I'm guessing taking your kids to a local pet shelter could be a nice place to start.

Good luck

Henry O

Phobia
12-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I am a Christian, and I will admit the one commandment that I struggle with the most is: Honor thy father and mother.

I have no issues honoring my father, he was a good man. My mother, on the other hand..... even now, she doesn't hold down steady work. She blames everyone else in the entire world for her problems and uses anyone who will let her.

She lives on public assistance though she could easily get and hold down a job. She is just too lazy to do so. She sued Nebraska Furniture mart and got a settlement, and blew that money in less than a year.

I didn't even go into how she spent the money my dad set aside for my college education... and I didn't find out until the second half of my senior year.

Dude, that's all awful. Your mother has some terrible problems. But she's the only mother you'll get. I don't envy your situation at all. Sounds like people have been enabling her for many years. As long as you're not one of those people, seems like you've overcome those issues.

DumbHillbillies
12-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Go to the pound and find a similar dog as pass it off as Josie. JK. All you can do is be up front with them and get a new puppy/dog. End of life, beginning of new life.

andoman
12-05-2009, 03:48 PM
So sorry for your family's loss. {We recently went through a similar situation} Adopting at your local shelter is a great idea, but let your family grieve first. It might be the way to start your new year off.

shakesthecat
12-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Sorry for your family's loss Tiny

Bowser
12-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Really sorry to hear, Tiny.

KC Jones
12-05-2009, 06:08 PM
All you can do is be up front with them and get a new puppy/dog. End of life, beginning of new life.

No offense, but I'm not a fan of this line of thinking at all. To me - it's better for everyone to have some grieving time before you try to cover over a loss with a replacement.

kcfanXIII
12-05-2009, 07:03 PM
no way you should be considering another dog for christmas. that would be way too soon. you need time to grieve. bringing a new pup into a grieving environment will ensure new puppy has plenty of bad habits. better to wait on the pup than to rush into things.

Redrum_69
12-05-2009, 09:57 PM
No offense, but I'm not a fan of this line of thinking at all. To me - it's better for everyone to have some grieving time before you try to cover over a loss with a replacement.

just ask the kids who wants "hot dogs" for supper....then tell them that the dog has been "recycled for food"

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-05-2009, 10:26 PM
just ask the kids who wants "hot dogs" for supper....then tell them that the dog has been "recycled for food"

hahahaha.....Neg Rep.:shake:

Mr. Plow
12-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Has it been ruled out the possibilty that Jews did this?
Posted via Mobile Device

You seriously are a POS.

GloryDayz
12-06-2009, 04:46 PM

Wow, sorry for your loss. Been there though. We told the kids different people and different pets get called to God's house at different times. Still sad for them, but I think it helped a bit.

Baby Lee
12-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't tell them right after this last Chiefs game, unless they're fans of physical comedy.

Skip Towne
12-11-2009, 11:42 AM
You seriously are a POS.

Is that what got him banned?

Gonzo
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Is that what got him banned?

Heh... I was just wondering the same thing. Is it a vacation or a real ban?