PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs notes | Schottenheimer to coach East-West game

Tribal Warfare
12-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Chiefs notes | Schottenheimer to coach East-West game (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1614626.html)

Former Chiefs coach Marty Schottenheimer, who hasn’t coached since leaving the San Diego Chargers after the 2006 season, will serve as a head coach in the upcoming East-West All-Star game next month in Orlando, Fla.

“Dick Vermeil did it a few years ago,” Schottenheimer said, “and they asked me if I’d do it.”

As for the Chiefs, Schottenheimer said he’s confident Todd Haley can revive a club that has lost 32 of its last 37 games.

“There are things to be done, and they’re working on them,” Schottenheimer said. “I’ve known Todd Haley for years through his father, Dick, and I think they’re going to get it headed in the right direction.

“These things don’t turn around … it’s not like taking a little 26-foot deck boat and turning it around. It’s like taking an ocean liner and turning it around.”

Meet Mr. Dawson

Chiefs broadcaster Len Dawson, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, visited the Broncos’ locker room to meet Denver quarterback Kyle "Pro Bowl" Orton, a fellow Purdue alum. Purdue has been a cradle of NFL quarterbacks, including Bob Griese, Mike Phipps, Jim Everett, Mark Herrmann and Drew Brees.

“He’s one of the guys who started it off,” Orton said. “Obviously coming from Purdue, everybody knows the type of player Len was. He’s a legend back at school, so this was a thrill. I had forgotten his connection with Kansas City, so it was a surprise and really nice.”

Historically bad

The Chiefs allowed 40-plus points for the second straight week.

The Chiefs haven’t done that since 1983, when they lost 41-21 to Dallas and 51-48 in overtime to Seattle in back-to-back games.

The new math

Orton had a hard time explaining how Denver could commit three turnovers and still win by 31 points.

“The defense did great holding them to field goals for the most part,” said Orton, who threw an interception and lost two fumbles. “Holding them to three points after the turnovers is huge, and we were able to keep on going and scoring points.”

Extra rest helps

Denver coach Josh McDaniels said the extra three days of rest and preparation helped the Broncos, who last played on Thanksgiving night. That’s a bad sign for the Chiefs, whose next two opponents — Buffalo and Cleveland — will have extra rest after playing on Thursday nights.

“It was an opportunity to try and get healthy, and we came into the game for the most part pretty healthy,” McDaniels said. “Extra days never hurt when you are getting ready to play a team for the first time and you are not very familiar with. Even though this is a division team, we have a lot of new players, and Kansas City has a lot of new players. It can be an advantage if you use it right.”

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-07-2009, 12:36 AM
I bet that 51-48 game was something to watch.

ForeverChiefs58
12-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Orton forgot Len Dawson's connection to KC? What a stupid, classless, insulting, asshat QB the Donkos have. He really is a good fit there. Jackass.

T-post Tom
12-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Chrissy Evert played football for Purdue?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pNa8NuQNLPY/ShtVBPG0_CI/AAAAAAAAAdE/IKsdLfv4pQg/s320/rome_everett.jpg

big nasty kcnut
12-07-2009, 07:19 AM
I had forgotten his connection with Kansas City, lol wut. This guy really is stupid. damn cracker!

Slainte
12-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Chrissy Evert played football for Purdue?

RACK HIM!