PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Snowblower blues

Over-Head
12-07-2009, 06:19 AM
No this isn't a thread about gay Eskimo's.

Had a dandy of a storm last night, so yesterday I moved my snowblower from it's "summer resting location" to beside the back deck last night.

At the end of last season I ran it dry of gas to avoid gumming, and while it was stored outside, it was in a sheltered under an awning (3 sides closed) attatched to my shed with my tractor.

Added some gas this morning, it ran rough for a while then streightened up after 5 mins or so. (Next year I'll do a gas treatment before I lay it up.)

When I start my snow blower, it runs fine.
auger works fine,
but I can not get any power to the drive wheels.
The unit is a Murry 14.50/29 9 months old, and used twice last season.

While trying to solve the problem, I even leaned it back while running to see if I could shake it loose.

I did discover a broken sheer pin in one of the augers, I replaced that.

At one point I did see some black smoke which I figured after searching on line was probably the drive belt melting down.

Haven't taken it apart as of yet,
Any advice?
And yes I already caled some one to plow me out. gotta get to work sometime today

Over-Head
12-07-2009, 07:51 AM
After taking apart the inspection panel, I discovered a bent pully????
HTF I bent a pully I don't know.:doh!:

Gonzo
12-07-2009, 07:54 AM
antifreeze?
Posted via Mobile Device

Radar Chief
12-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Probably a bent dingle arm. This by itself isn’t so bad but it causes a misalignment of the Marzen veins to the lunar Wayne shaft and you have to get that taken care of before you wind up blowing a Johnson rod.

Bwana
12-07-2009, 08:16 AM
That sounds like a huge pain in the ass! I hope you have some place warm to work on that thing.

Over-Head
12-07-2009, 08:55 AM
That sounds like a huge pain in the ass! I hope you have some place warm to work on that thing.
You do know where I live right?:shake:

Over-Head
12-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Probably a bent dingle arm. This by itself isn’t so bad but it causes a misalignment of the Marzen veins to the lunar Wayne shaft and you have to get that taken care of before you wind up blowing a Johnson rod.
A bucket of stem should fix the dingel arm, while 2 cans of compression installed with a left hand screwdriver just might shape it back .

Bwana
12-07-2009, 09:01 AM
You do know where I live right?:shake:

No shop, or garage? I would guess the shed has no heat? (other than the embers of the weed) :D

Bwana
12-07-2009, 09:02 AM
A bucket of stem should fix the dingel arm, while 2 cans of compression installed with a left hand screwdriver just might shape it back .

Yes, but don't forget to check the muffler bearings and the spark plug fluid!

Over-Head
12-10-2009, 05:32 PM
No shop, or garage? I would guess the shed has no heat? (other than the embers of the weed) :D
The shed ain't big enough, (although I do have a space heater for warmoing up between rounds of frozen mechanics on the fly.)
Other than that ya just put on a set of ear muffs when it hit's -35 and deal with it.

STILL HAVEN"T GOTTEN A BELT!!! The dealer can't find one:cuss:

38yrsfan
12-10-2009, 05:37 PM
There are basically 3 parts that cause problems on a snowblower that the owner can readily repair - shear pins, auger belt, and the drive belt.

Is the pully for the drive or auger?