PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Haley sticking with Cassel as Chiefs QB

Tribal Warfare
12-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Haley sticking with Cassel as Chiefs QB (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1617043.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Having 24 hours to watch the game video and collect his thoughts on Sunday’s blowout loss to Denver didn’t change Todd Haley’s mind on the Chiefs’ quarterback situation.

Matt Cassel, who struggled through his worst game with the Chiefs in the 44-13 loss to the Broncos, will start Sunday’s game against the Buffalo Bills at Arrowhead Stadium.

“I’m going to play the guys that give us the best chance to win, and Matt is one of those guys right now,” Haley said. “I feel pretty confident in Matt and his abilities, and he’ll bounce back and have another great week of preparation and give us a chance to beat Buffalo.”

Cassel completed just 10 of his 29 pass attempts for 84 yards and threw a couple of costly interceptions on back-to-back possessions in the crucial third quarter. The Chiefs began the second half trailing 14-6, but their situation unraveled quickly when the Broncos scored 20 consecutive points.

Haley didn’t agree with the notion that Cassel would be better served by backing up Brodie Croyle, even if the break was just for the Bills game.

“The people that survive some of these tough times will be better for it, myself included,” Haley said. “That’s part of the deal.”

Cassel also committed two turnovers in the previous week’s game against San Diego and appears to be buckling under the pressure of trying to guide the anemic Chiefs offense.

But Haley indicated he believed Cassel was strong enough to overcome the toughest stretch of his professional career.

“I think the kid is a tough, tough guy and generally when you’re tough, you can handle adversity,” Haley said Monday. “That’s the quarterback’s job, to stand adversity in the face and overcome. Yesterday was adversity.

“Matt is a young quarterback experiencewise. Every game is experience for him. I expect him to learn from yesterday’s experience just like from the first 10 games he played.”

Haley yanked Cassel in favor of Croyle late in the third quarter Sunday with the Chiefs trailing 34-6. Haley said the benching was part of the learning process for Cassel, who played little in college at Southern California or in his first three seasons as an NFL backup for New England.

Cassel was the Patriots’ starter only last season when he replaced the injured Tom Brady.

“He’s been taken out of the game and had to watch his backup play,” Haley said. “How (Cassel responds) will tell a lot about guys playing that position. That’s not a position for the faint of heart. Matt’s a tough guy. … He’s intent on improving his performance.

“The experience he had to go through in coming out of the game and watching his backup play is more important than actually being in there for the last quarter of the game.”

Haley defended Cassel’s play earlier in Sunday’s game, saying Chiefs receivers didn’t give him enough help. Bobby Wade got behind the Denver secondary on the Chiefs’ first possession but couldn’t quite grab a ball that was slightly overthrown.

On the next drive, Lance Long dropped a pass in the end zone, and the Chiefs eventually had to settle for a field goal.

“The quarterback I thought prepared very well during the week and for the first half of that game I thought really had us in a position to have a chance to win,” Haley said. “We had a couple of plays we had to make in that game on throws that were made that the guys catching the ball (didn’t make).

“I thought that game started the way it had to start, and at the quarterback position Matt did some really good things that should have had us in a better position than we were in. … He avoided a couple of sacks and made positive plays out of them and made some throws that probably should have been big plays for us.”

chiefs1111
12-08-2009, 01:51 AM
I don't think this should surprise anyone

Slainte
12-08-2009, 02:11 AM
I wish they'd get Cassel a QB's Coach...

Galileo Humpkins
12-08-2009, 03:00 AM
Matt Cassel couldn't score in a monkey whorehouse with a bag of bananas.

T-post Tom
12-08-2009, 03:02 AM
http://a.media.community.abcfamily.go.com/images/suicide-booth.jpg

kcfanXIII
12-08-2009, 05:01 AM
http://www.sustainabilityninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/captain-obvious.jpg

BigMeatballDave
12-08-2009, 06:24 AM
http://www.sustainabilityninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/captain-obvious.jpgROFL

King_Chief_Fan
12-08-2009, 07:29 AM
I think he would be better served to watch Brodie play the rest of the season.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-08-2009, 08:43 AM
I think we should trade him to Oakland for their 2011 #1

Tiger's Fan
12-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Brodie didn't do anything to change anyones mind while in for garbage time, with the defense in prevent. What would anyone expect, other than the fact that the backup QB is ALWAYS the fan favorite?

Bane
12-08-2009, 08:52 AM
I think we should trade him to Oakland for their 2011 #1

ROFL

Brock
12-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I don't know. Maybe they should put Croyle out there.

smittysbar
12-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Double standard, I guess you don't have to be accountable if your name is Cassel.

BigRedChief
12-08-2009, 08:56 AM
I don't think this should surprise anyoneAnd why would it? They gave Cassell $63 million and after 12 games you are going to bench him? playing behind this Oline? With cast off recievers? And for whom? Brittle Croyle? Thats just never going to work out. He won't be able to stay on the field.

our only hope is that Cassell turns out to be a reliable NFL QB that doesn't turn the ball over.

HemiEd
12-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Double standard, I guess you don't have to be accountable if your name is Cassel.

Yeah, setting for one quarter, probably isn't going to help much. He should at least lose a start after those last two performances.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Start Brokie?

HA!

...because he is durable...right?

Please...people need to be patient.

DBOSHO
12-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Good thing we are playing the guys that "give us the best chance to win"

what a joke. I guarantee that if we didnt have cassel and it was croyle playing and thigpen was backing him up, he wouldve been yanked a long time ago.

memyselfI
12-08-2009, 09:53 AM
I wish they'd get Cassel a QB's Coach...

I wish they'd get Cassel a HC.

HemiEd
12-08-2009, 10:03 AM

what a joke. I guarantee that if we didnt have cassel and it was croyle playing and thigpen was backing him up, he wouldve been yanked a long time ago.

Yeah, it does not seem like it is any different than any other "high priced" acquisition.
Same old story, different chapter.
They paid lip service to the "give us the best chance to win" and the " right 53" but it still comes down to the $$$$.

DeezNutz
12-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I wish they'd get Cassel a HC.

And then get that HC a starting-caliber QB.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2009, 10:07 AM
And then get that HC a starting-caliber QB.

ROFL

KCWolfman
12-08-2009, 10:26 AM
The first half I hated Cassel's receivers. How can so many passes be dropped by so many idiots?

The second half he just gave up to frustration. I would say I understand, but he earns way too much money for that.

KCWolfman
12-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Yeah, setting for one quarter, probably isn't going to help much. He should at least lose a start after those last two performances.

So Roethlesberger should not be a starter next week?

Marcellus
12-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Brodie didn't do anything to change anyones mind while in for garbage time, with the defense in prevent. What would anyone expect, other than the fact that the backup QB is ALWAYS the fan favorite?

Yea, he didn't impress and looked every bit as shitty as Cassel. His overthrows just look much prettier.

Marcellus
12-08-2009, 10:43 AM

Because yanking Cassel will help this team in the long run.

Why is it hard to understand Cassel is going to get this whole season at a minimum to see what he can do. They have already committed around $28MM to him, they need to know if he is going to be able to handle it or not. That doesn't happen from the fucking bench.

Ralphy Boy
12-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Because yanking Cassel will help this team in the long run.

Why is it hard to understand Cassel is going to get this whole season at a minimum to see what he can do. They have already committed around $28MM to him, they need to know if he is going to be able to handle it or not. That doesn't happen from the ****ing bench.

THIS!

HemiEd
12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
So Roethlesberger should not be a starter next week?

Roethlesberger has a couple pieces of jewelery that says he has done something.
Cassel has stunk it up, most of the season, and he has not done anything.

Even the most casual observer can see he holds the ball too long, and throws late to his receivers. He is being exposed even more now, since the best receiver on the team, is not able to make circus catches to bail him out.

But I will be the first one to say, I hope he gets his shit together, because they are going to play him.

Sure-Oz
12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Wow great article!111

KCWolfman
12-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Roethlesberger has a couple pieces of jewelery that says he has done something.
Cassel has stunk it up, most of the season, and he has not done anything.

Even the most casual observer can see he holds the ball too long, and throws late to his receivers. He is being exposed even more now, since the best receiver on the team, is not able to make circus catches to bail him out.

But I will be the first one to say, I hope he gets his shit together, because they are going to play him.

I am not defending the 60 million dollar man, but I saw Croyle behind the same line. What did you see about Croyle that makes the team look better - because I saw nothing.

I did see at least 7 dropped passes by receivers in one half alone yesterday, however, that led me to believe he can be an accurate passer if he has a decent crew.

stormtrooper
12-08-2009, 11:05 AM
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL did you see Croyles face on that fake?

stormtrooper
12-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Cassel was probably relieved to be benched so he didnt have to try to execute jackass plays and throw to tackling dummies

KCWolfman
12-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Cassel was probably relieved to be benched so he didnt have to try to execute jackass plays and throw to tackling dummies

I never rep. But that is repworthy and right on target.

HemiEd
12-08-2009, 11:18 AM
I am not defending the 60 million dollar man, but I saw Croyle behind the same line. What did you see about Croyle that makes the team look better - because I saw nothing.

I did see at least 7 dropped passes by receivers in one half alone yesterday, however, that led me to believe he can be an accurate passer if he has a decent crew. I agree, Croyle didn't do much better, but it was a very small sample. To be fair, Croyle looked pretty good in the one game he started. I don't think we can take the garbage time performance, as an evaluation of what he can do. I would have preferred a quicker hook, when there was still time, and the team had not given up.

I agree there were some dropped passes, and then there were some that could have been caught, by an outstanding receiver, making a great play.
But Chambers is the only above average receiver on the team now, and he was taken away.

My problem with Cassel, is that he has shown those tendancies to wait to long, and throw behind the receiver, the whole season. I don't see any improvement, do you? In fact, it seems to be getting worse, when the OL is getting better.

notorious
12-08-2009, 11:32 AM
For all the Cassel supporters that need hard numbers to believe he is not very good:

His rating is 72.3:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=QB&conference=NFL&year=season_2009&timeframe=ToDate&qualified=1&sort=49&old_category=QB

With the rules favoring the offense almost to a fault, ratings have gone up an average of 10-15 points across the board the last 10 years:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=QB&conference=NFL&year=season_2001&timeframe=All&qualified=1&sort=49&old_category=QB

That would put Cassel's rating around 55-60 back when they let defenses play defense.

That is atrocious by any standard.

HotRoute
12-08-2009, 11:35 AM
not surprised, cassell is the better player. croyle is ok but he isnt the answer to any of the cheifs problems

smittysbar
12-08-2009, 11:38 AM
not surprised, cassell is the better player. croyle is ok but he isnt the answer to any of the cheifs problems

I think Croyle is better, he just has had so many injury problems.

The out pass Brodie made that Wade dropped, was one of the better passes I have seen all season, not sure Cassel makes that throw.

OnTheWarpath15
12-08-2009, 11:39 AM
For all the Cassel supporters that need hard numbers to believe he is not very good:

His rating is 72.3:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=QB&conference=NFL&year=season_2009&timeframe=ToDate&qualified=1&sort=49&old_category=QB

With the rules favoring the offense almost to a fault, ratings have gone up an average of 10-15 points across the board the last 10 years:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=QB&conference=NFL&year=season_2001&timeframe=All&qualified=1&sort=49&old_category=QB

That would put Cassel's rating around 55-60 back when they let defenses play defense.

That is atrocious by any standard.

72.3 is atrocious.

Tribal Warfare
12-08-2009, 11:39 AM
not surprised, cassell is the better paid player.

FYP

notorious
12-08-2009, 11:40 AM
72.3 is atrocious.

Yep.

I wanted to state in hard facts that it is atrocious in any era. :(

Hammock Parties
12-08-2009, 11:41 AM
72.3 is atrocious.

You wonder how far it has to fall before a change is made.

Cassel is getting worse, not better.

HemiEd
12-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I think Croyle is better, he just has had so many injury problems.

The out pass Brodie made that Wade dropped, was one of the better passes I have seen all season, not sure Cassel makes that throw.

He got hammered pretty good in that game, and in the Baltimore game. He got drilled many times in preseason. Maybe his body has matured some, or maybe he has added some muscle and learned how to take a hit.

Tribal Warfare
12-08-2009, 11:43 AM

No, he's always played like this, but the talent level at NE was so great it disguised his faults as a passer.

OnTheWarpath15
12-08-2009, 11:43 AM

Dude, nothing is going to change.

There's no fucking way in hell that Pioli admits he made a mistake on his first and signature acquisition.

SDChiefs
12-08-2009, 11:45 AM
This should have said "Todd Haley is an idiot and doesn't know who gives the Chiefs the best chance to win." End of article.

notorious
12-08-2009, 11:47 AM
This should have said "Todd Haley is an idiot and doesn't know who gives the Chiefs the best chance to win." End of article.

Orrrrr:

"Even if Haley wanted to change his QB Pioli wouldn't let him."

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2009, 11:51 AM
There's no way he gets benched until 2011, IMO.

notorious
12-08-2009, 11:53 AM
There's no way he gets benched until 2011, IMO.

Thanks for the ray of sunshine.

I agree. Too much pride at stake to admit they are wrong.

HemiEd
12-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the ray of sunshine.

I agree. Too much $$$$ at stake to admit they are wrong.

fixed it for you

LaChapelle
12-08-2009, 12:17 PM
“I’m going to play the guys that give us the best chance to win, and Matt is one of those guys right now,”

I don't see carved in stone there

Mama Hip Rockets
12-08-2009, 12:18 PM
matt cassel sucks.