PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Todd Haley's press conferences

RealSNR
12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
I notice a theme in all of these press conferences. He talks about one thing and one thing only- eliminating bad plays. Whether it be miscues in coverage, negative yards on offense, penalties, whatever. His answer to us being a better team is eliminating bad plays.

What he never talks about is how he proposes to teach not making bad plays. Obviously it's not that simple, or there would be a fuckload of people who would make good head coaches in the NFL. How does this work? Do you gather the team together and say, "discipline yourself. Don't commit penalties." Do you threaten them? Do you put shock collars on them in practice and push the button when things don't work in practice?

I sincerely hope he coaches in a better way than just eliminating bad plays. I also hope he knows that we're not a bad team because we make bad plays. We've got slow, stupid, weak players who can't outplay the opponents. I don't expect him to call out all the bad players in his press conferences, no, but surely he knows that eliminating bad plays comes with having good players who don't do that shit.

Do you guys think he knows that he's expecting a group of talentless tards to play mistake-free football, because that's the only way they can win? Because if that's what he's doing and he thinks that's the right way to go about this problem, he really IS a bad head coach.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Maybe he's just doing what his boss is doing:

Repeating the mantra of his old boss because the thinks there's only one way to build a football team.

keg in kc
12-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Do you guys think he knows that he's expecting a group of talentless tards to play mistake-free football, because that's the only way they can win? This falls into a category I was trying to explain to clueless clayton yesterday, when I mentioned that he and Pioli are probably both unhappy but also unsurprised by the team's performance. I think they know what kind of roster they have.

And, frankly, playing mistake-free football is the only possible way they can win a game in 2009. But I think trying to instill that kind of discipline, or maybe focus is a better word, is a good thing in the long term. Mistakes will cost good teams games, too.

Actually, I think focus is definitely the better word. Focus is a big problem, and has been for a while. Missed tackles, dropped passes, etc. etc. etc. That stuff needs to go away, regardless of who's on the field.

It's also coach speak, of course. 'Playing mistake free' that is.

FAX
12-08-2009, 01:41 PM
He's coaching a gaggle of turdmen, Mr. SNR. When coaching turdmen, one's options are limited. All you can really do is try and teach them proper technique which, ostensibly, should minimize "bad plays".

We don't have a lot of natural playmakers who can get away with making mistakes or correcting after making them. In fact, talent-wise, we really aren't a normal NFL team. Other teams can be fine-tuned like a sports car or, in some cases, a heavy-duty truck. We are more like a squashed hobo lying beside the freeway. Haley's trying to teach our turdmen how to thumb a ride without getting mashed and it isn't working.

FAX

Chief Faithful
12-08-2009, 02:02 PM
This falls into a category I was trying to explain to clueless clayton yesterday, when I mentioned that he and Pioli are probably both unhappy but also unsurprised by the team's performance. I think they know what kind of roster they have.

And, frankly, playing mistake-free football is the only possible way they can win a game in 2009. But I think trying to instill that kind of discipline, or maybe focus is a better word, is a good thing in the long term. Mistakes will cost good teams games, too.

Actually, I think focus is definitely the better word. Focus is a big problem, and has been for a while. Missed tackles, dropped passes, etc. etc. etc. That stuff needs to go away, regardless of who's on the field.

It's also coach speak, of course. 'Playing mistake free' that is.

What you say is common with what Haley said during preseason about keeping players who play the game the way they want it played, also referred to keeping the 'right 53' mantra. I remember his insistance that first players have to play the way they are being coached. When two guys are both playing the way they are coached then the guy with better talent wins. Over time you try to improve the talent, but you always start with playing the game mistake free. I see the receivers as the example of his philosophy at work.

This may work or may not, but it will take more than one season to determine if it is the right approach. Given that Parcells is his mentor who always began with teams in a similar fashion I am willing to give Haley another year before I decide if I like this approach or not.

This Sunday against the Bills is a very winable game and would double the Chiefs wins over last year against a much harder schedule. Not bad for 22 guys off the street.

Simply Red
12-08-2009, 02:12 PM
He's lucky B. Wade didn't issue the beat down after all of that. You don't talk to blacks like that, is he crazy?!

FAX
12-08-2009, 02:17 PM
What you say is common with what Haley said during preseason about keeping players who play the game the way they want it played, also referred to keeping the 'right 53' matra. I remember his insistance that first players have to play the way they are being coached. When two guys are both playing the way they are coached then the guy with better talent wins. Over time you try to improve the talent, but you always start with playing the game mistake free. I see the receivers as the example of his philosophy at work.

This may work or may not, but it will take more than one season to determine if it is the right approach. Given that Parcells is his mentor who always began with teams in a similar fashion I am willing to give Haley another year before I decide if I like this approach or not.

This Sunday against the Bills is a very winable game and would double the Chiefs wins over last year against a much harder schedule. Not bad for 22 guys off the street.

Good post, Mr. Chief Faithful.

You know, on occasion, I get the feeling that some people just don't realize how bereft of talent we actually are. Depending on how you look at it, you can count our decent-to-good players on one hand. We may have a couple of high-quality guys ... maybe. Anyhow, as a result, this particular team can't win due to schemes, creating match-up advantages, out-muscling the enemy, or with speed. Our only chance to compete is to play absolutely mistake-free football ... zero turnovers and no penalties.

It makes it difficult for Haley to even appear as though he knows what he's doing.

FAX

Chief Faithful
12-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Good post, Mr. Chief Faithful.

You know, on occasion, I get the feeling that some people just don't realize how bereft of talent we actually are. Depending on how you look at it, you can count our decent-to-good players on one hand. We may have a couple of high-quality guys ... maybe. Anyhow, as a result, this particular team can't win due to schemes, creating match-up advantages, out-muscling the enemy, or with speed. Our only chance to compete is to play absolutely mistake-free football ... zero turnovers and no penalties.

It makes it difficult for Haley to even appear as though he knows what he's doing.

FAX

Agreed, until the talent improves they are really limited in what they can do. For the most part mistake free football is the only way they can win. Besides, what good is a talented player if mistakes define their game (e.g. Pollard, Bowe, DJ)?

The trait I like most about Haley is his absolute commitment to giving your all everyday to be the best. This guy expects more from the players then they expect from themselves. If this culture can take root and combine it with talent I believe in that mixture. The only question, is Haley the right guy to bring it about? We should know by this time next year.

Dark Horse
12-08-2009, 02:43 PM
It seems to me Haley is just beating a dead horse now, this team just seemed to give up against Denver.

Rooster
12-08-2009, 02:56 PM
It seems to me Haley is just beating a dead horse now, this team just seemed to give up against Denver.

I sat behind the bench on Sunday and there were a lot of laughing and smiling going on during the fourth quarter for a team that was getting the shit kicked out of them. They gave up big time. Krumie was screaming at the d-line to get with it but they just ignored him for the most part.

FAX
12-08-2009, 03:01 PM
I sat behind the bench on Sunday and there were a lot of laughing and smiling going on during the fourth quarter for a team that was getting the shit kicked out of them. They gave up big time. Krumie was screaming at the d-line to get with it but they just ignored him for the most part.

This is very, very sad.

Worst case, really. Worse than sucking. Worse than losing. When the team gives up on their coaches and themselves, it's bad. Real bad.

FAX

Easy 6
12-08-2009, 03:04 PM
there were a lot of laughing and smiling going on during the fourth quarter

That, is absolutely INFURIATING.

This team might never straighten up...

HemiEd
12-08-2009, 03:17 PM

Damn, we can't like that. They disconnected, it wasn't them getting their ass handed to them? They didn't take it personnel?

Hammock Parties
12-08-2009, 03:21 PM
This falls into a category I was trying to explain to clueless clayton yesterday, when I mentioned that he and Pioli are probably both unhappy but also unsurprised by the team's performance. I think they know what kind of roster they have.

Well, yeah. They assembled the shit. It's their fault.

Fuck you.

Dark Horse
12-08-2009, 03:29 PM
This is very, very sad.

Worst case, really. Worse than sucking. Worse than losing. When the team gives up on their coaches and themselves, it's bad. Real bad.

FAX

Either way I don't think it matters much, very few of these guys are going to be around in a couple of years anyway.

Chief Faithful
12-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Either way I don't think it matters much, very few of these guys are going to be around in a couple of years anyway.

Players that give up can be seen clearly on the tape. That may be the fastest path off this team, which may be the plan of some of these players.

ChiefaRoo
12-08-2009, 04:25 PM
I notice a theme in all of these press conferences. He talks about one thing and one thing only- eliminating bad plays. Whether it be miscues in coverage, negative yards on offense, penalties, whatever. His answer to us being a better team is eliminating bad plays.

What he never talks about is how he proposes to teach not making bad plays. Obviously it's not that simple, or there would be a ****load of people who would make good head coaches in the NFL. How does this work? Do you gather the team together and say, "discipline yourself. Don't commit penalties." Do you threaten them? Do you put shock collars on them in practice and push the button when things don't work in practice?

I sincerely hope he coaches in a better way than just eliminating bad plays. I also hope he knows that we're not a bad team because we make bad plays. We've got slow, stupid, weak players who can't outplay the opponents. I don't expect him to call out all the bad players in his press conferences, no, but surely he knows that eliminating bad plays comes with having good players who don't do that shit.

Do you guys think he knows that he's expecting a group of talentless tards to play mistake-free football, because that's the only way they can win? Because if that's what he's doing and he thinks that's the right way to go about this problem, he really IS a bad head coach.

Todd Haley is a God walking amongst men. It is not for you to understand it is only for you to do as you're told.

kcxiv
12-08-2009, 04:42 PM
we have been losing for quite a while now. They only know losing. Its just another game and another loss for them. I am sure they are upset, but crying and getting mad about it grew old. may as well, fucking laugh about it.

Like a few have said. this team really has little talent on this team. The only way its going to change is overturning the roster. They cant do that in 1 year. Herm was building up a shitty team as it was. We just started a whole new rebuild. They didnt want to build off what Herm was selling.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Well, yeah. They assembled the shit. It's their fault.

This. (minus the fuck you to Keg)